Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
My favourite thing is watching the temper tantrums from people who claim ‘they’re all nobodies/what a shit line up/who even are they’ EVERY year! Honestly expecting the entire line up to be well known to you is just insane, perhaps google the people you don’t know? I know most of the line up, the ones I don’t I just looked up! 🤷‍♀️ I just enjoy the dancing, the escapism and the joy it brings me, I love it. Don’t take it too seriously

Reactions: 27

stardust21

VIP Member
I’m Scottish and don’t get this need for someone from each nation. It’s not that deep. Picking from each nation isn’t diversity IMO.

Not going to get into a political debate, but I equally don’t need someone to be Scottish for me to root for them.

Reactions: 26

glasgow27

VIP Member
Apologies for getting political but I’ll put in my two cents - as another gay on here, I find the assumption that all gay men/women in the show would want a same-sex partner to be a tad insulting, it just reduces us to our sexuality. I’m glad there is some common sense on that issue here since a lot of people online just jump to the assumption, a few posters on DS in particular seem to quite aggressively push for same-sex pairings when even a bisexual celeb is mentioned and it really rubs me the wrong way.

It’s still an inclusive show - as long as there are gay pros and participants, all is fine. Sometimes they dance together, sometimes not, I’m sure plenty of LGBT youth would still have been inspired by seeing Johannes dancing on the show regardless of whether he got a man or woman as his partner. :)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

Dimads

Personally I'd love to see the back of Shirley. Yeah she knows what she's talking about technically, but I'm sick of her overscoring of attractive men and underscoring of the girls. Not to mention the awful swooning and sexualisation of anyone with a single ab. The way she spoke about and looked at Kelvin actually made me want to rip my eyes and ears off.

Reactions: 22

Libbylulu

VIP Member
I groaned when I saw Tom Fletcher. The whole family is insufferable. They are the kind of people that have to be bigger, better, greater….. sigh

Reactions: 20

petitspois

VIP Member
I don't get how Giovanni is seen as some sort of stud. He looks like a ratty little chav to me. I can just see him in a tracksuit and a Vauxhall corsa.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Can't believe we're going to have to spend another winter with the Fletchers dominating our tv screens 😖 I can just picture her smug face in the audience 🤢

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 19

kev1974

VIP Member
"first all male couple" honestly is there anybody that really gives a shit about this "first"?

just get on and dance, and dance well, and entertain us. No special or different treatment or highlighting is necessary these days. To me it just shows how backwards the BBC still are, if they really think they've broken boundaries with this. Pats on backs all round in their board rooms no doubt, meanwhile the real world just shrugs and wonders what took them so long.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

lockdown sux

VIP Member
I could have sworn Tom fletcher and the wife ripped the British public off with the furlough thing?? Has it been forgotten already? 😳😳

glasgow27

VIP Member
Rumours circling around that we have a male same-sex pairing this year.

I hate sounding homophobic, it goes against everything in me (I am gay myself) but am I wrong to just not like when they do this? And it sounds like they're turning it into yet another one of their quotas (which means that LGBT celebs could be coerced into it though can't prove that for sure). It didn't work with H/Matt on DOI, it didn't work with Nicola/Katya on SCD, it leads to a bunch of bigots mouthing off homophobic bile on social media and generally, pros don't seem to be able to adjust their choreo for it. It does nothing for LGBT rights/visibility either IMO - it's just dancing, hardly groundbreaking like certain rights being introduced were (as much as H from Steps may think otherwise).

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
My only concern with a male same sex pairing is that I'm not sure there's a current male pro who could make it work. Giovanni perhaps. He's a great choreographer and very competitive but to me, he's always come across as quite traditional, so not sure how he'd play it. Height might be an issue with Gorka, and Aljaz and Johannes are quite boring choreographers (I doubt they'd consider any of the others?)

I think the main problem with Katya and Nicola was that they had no chemistry whatsoever. And I agree, Nicola was never going to be a great dancer
But I thought if you shouted “I’m a dancer baby!” at least 6 times a day you automatically became a dancer 🤔😉

• Haha

Libbylulu

VIP Member
Agree that if a celeb requests it then it's fine, they ultimately need the right people to make it work. Its just that by searching for it, the BBC come across like they want it to be box ticking rather than a "on request" situation.

I was kinda surprised that Nicola/Katya flopped because Katya is a good choreographer and I thought that with Nicola being a well known Olympic athlete and fairly young still that they would do well.
I don’t think Nicola was a dancer. She did well in the street/modern but there was no flair in her other dances. IMO as an armchair dancer, she seemed very stompy which is unusual for a boxer.

Reactions: 16