Strictly Come Dancing 2021

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Pro by pro:

Aljaž - duffer (the token oldie, can probably manage it)
Cameron - middler (since he's new)
Giovanni - duffer (his turn, maybe someone a bit younger that isn't that good)
Gorka - journey celeb (had 2 ringers and a duffer recently so someone who improves, maybe an athlete?)
Johannes - ringer (due a longer run and deserves a reward for last year)
Kai - contender (new to SCD but experienced enough from DWTS Ireland to handle a contender)
Neil - comedy celeb (surprisingly subdued with Alex, let him get someone who is a bit more entertaining)
Nikita - middler (ditto Cameron)

Amy - duffer (ideally first out to avoid the squealing)
Dianne - fun middler (needs someone fun and a longer run)
Jowita - middler (ditto the other newbies)
Karen - middler (had enough duds but I just can't see her with a proper ringer)
Katya - ringer (never had one in 5 years and had to pull out last year)
Nadiya - contender (unfairly benched last year)
Nancy - middler (waited 2 years so let her have a reasonable run)
Oti - duffer (not had one in quite a while and just won twice)

I'd bench Graziano & Luba, I just don't rate their choreo (or Graziano's ballroom dancing) and they haven't made much of an impact off the floor. Not sure who should join them on the bench, depends on the celebs I guess.
Those lace up mesh boots they all wear are designed by Luba - wonder if they got that through the BBC ad department. Although they do look good so maybe they would wear them anyway. I think she’s a lovely dancer and needs a bit more of a gifted partner to get a good start.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
I think Alijaz will def try to become the new Anton. This will future-proof him to an extent and line him up for possible presenting gigs with Janette.

Reactions: 7
Looks like the strictly pros are going to have to form another self isolation bubble again to rehearse the pro dances for a few weeks and be away for home etc. Don't know what that means for the full series. They still seem to be undecided whether or not they will have a full 15 couple normal length series or another 12 couple shorter series like last year.:(

Looks like the strictly pros are going to have to form another self isolation bubble again to rehearse the pro dances for a few weeks and be away for home etc. Don't know what that means for the full series. They still seem to be undecided whether or not they will have a full 15 couple normal length series or another 12 couple shorter series like last year.:(
Where are you getting this info ? Nothings been mentioned as far as i can see ? If they were isolated for pros rehearsals surly production would be advising them against going gallivanting about like they have this week. Pretty sure last year they had to isolate at home prior to rehearsals starting.

Where are you getting this info ? Nothings been mentioned as far as i can see ? If they were isolated for pros rehearsals surly production would be advising them against going gallivanting about like they have this week. Pretty sure last year they had to isolate at home prior to rehearsals starting.

Janette talked about it, apparently they're going to be bubbling up in a couple of weeks. I think Kai said something about rehearsals starting on Monday over Zoom.

Janette talked about it, apparently they're going to be bubbling up in a couple of weeks. I think Kai said something about rehearsals starting on Monday over Zoom.
Ah thanks for that. I hadn’t seen anything on twitter which is where I usually find stuff linked. Is this iso just for pros or are we seeing a situation like last year where pros are living away from families/partners again ? I can see the logic covid wise but it must take a massive toll mentally, especially if they don’t end up having the best connection with their celeb.

Everything indicates a full series, we’d know otherwise by now. I can see why they’d pre-record group dances in a bubbled up setting but that can be done and dusted in August, ready to start with the celebs in September.

They also seem to be filming the group dances again with no studio audience as they haven't put out links for tickets yet. I know some of the the pros didn't like the no audience thing at all.
Also the new dancer Kai did an interview with irish tv and said they still don't know what way the show will be this year, again showing that they are still not sure how it will go yet, which is a bit concerning.

But it seems the BBC booked out the same hotel and apartment blocks again so I think we could see another year where the pros have to stay in London and form a bubble with their partners. After last year I can't see them doing a full series if that is the case, so they may have to record specials to fill the gap again.

Last year someone on the digital spy forums found out what they were using the apartments for so if anyone has a profile ask around on there that is where we found out about it before the papers did.

I quite liked 12 couples and a three couple final to be honest. With 15 the early shows are just so long!
Yeah I quite liked that too tbh. And I think because it was in different circumstances there was a better atmosphere and less sob stories.

If they are allowed to go ahead as normal then I think they’ll still have to re-do the layout as the audience seats are packed together, much more than it looks on screen. The bit sort of behind and to the right of where the contestants families sit is the worst and opposite them are mostly seats for production guests but they seem to be individual seats. The best seats are reserved for the first 20 people in the queue for tickets, or at least there was in 2017. I would feel really uncomfortable sitting that close to people even with a mask on.

The group dances were filmed on the Saturday afternoon/evening of the weeks the show was on. I think it’s better for them to be filmed in advance because it must be exhausting!

I would guess there's still going to be social distancing on screen (same as all BBC shows at the moment). But I think the main worry would be a positive case spreading, so they might still keep the couples separate from each other in training and in the studio.

I'd be surprised if they'd still have to isolate in strict bubbles together though, away from family etc. Unless legal requirements change, of course

Reactions: 4
As far as I’m aware they’ve pretty much confirmed a full series with Blackpool. I think we would know by now if they’d chosen to do a shorter series. They wouldn’t have announced four new dancers if it was a short show. They’d do as normal and have the unnamed regulars who pad the groups out occasionally.
The issue with doing a shorter series is you get even more production bias. Last year some couples were given a very easy run missing a lot of key dances and were able to miss the harder more technical dances or do 90% Latin/specialty and little ballroom.

As for isolation and couples bubbles. I really hope we don’t see that again. There’s no government restrictions and everyone should’ve been vaccinated. My argument is that premier league footballer can still live at home and train. Don’t See the difference tbh especially if they’re still regularly testing.

Reactions: 6
The shorter series also limited how good they could get (if they weren’t a ringer) - it really showed how little they knew technically. I really want them to can couples choice and start with the basics again. (They won’t)

Reactions: 5
As far as I’m aware they’ve pretty much confirmed a full series with Blackpool. I think we would know by now if they’d chosen to do a shorter series. They wouldn’t have announced four new dancers if it was a short show. They’d do as normal and have the unnamed regulars who pad the groups out occasionally.
The issue with doing a shorter series is you get even more production bias. Last year some couples were given a very easy run missing a lot of key dances and were able to miss the harder more technical dances or do 90% Latin/specialty and little ballroom.
Totally agree, how could I have forgotten Ranvir and JJ taking full advantage of that! Switched on the olympics and he was presenting, had a total flashback to his jive and I had to switch over 😩

Has there been any chat about contestants? I’ve seen Peter Crouch mentioned a couple of times (I might be doing him a real disservice but I doubt there would be too glitterballs in that household) but nobody else really

Reactions: 3
Totally agree, how could I have forgotten Ranvir and JJ taking full advantage of that! Switched on the olympics and he was presenting, had a total flashback to his jive and I had to switch over 😩

Has there been any chat about contestants? I’ve seen Peter Crouch mentioned a couple of times (I might be doing him a real disservice but I doubt there would be too glitterballs in that household) but nobody else really
Aside from the usual ones we get every year there’s only been one. A rugby (union) player called Ugo Monye who played for harlequins and England.

The shorter series also limited how good they could get (if they weren’t a ringer) - it really showed how little they knew technically. I really want them to can couples choice and start with the basics again. (They won’t)
Couples choice doesn’t bother me. However I think it should be CC week with judges experienced in theatre jazz/contemporary/commercial. Combine movie and musicals and have CC week mid way though (week five/six). It’s really unfair to try judge street commercial against jives and a waltz.

The series used to be shorter though — but they used to do two dances per week earlier on, didn't have CC, and AT was saved for the semifinals.

I think the old system of everybody doing X or Y for the first few weeks was better, because it meant everybody did ballroom and Latin more evenly. Only one rumba last year was ridiculous!

Couples choice doesn’t bother me. However I think it should be CC week with judges experienced in theatre jazz/contemporary/commercial. Combine movie and musicals and have CC week mid way though (week five/six). It’s really unfair to try judge street commercial against jives and a waltz.
I hate Couple's Choice. To me whichever couple is doing it that week, it, more often than not, gives them a guaranteed bye into the following week. It’s basically a showdance (like they do in the Final) in everything but name. At least with the showdance all the couples get to perform it on the same night.

They try to make the Couple’s Choice different by letting the celebrity come up with some story as to why they are doing the dance to a particular song or a particular style but it still doesn’t make me feel any better about it.

The solution as you say is to make it a Couple’s Choice week that all the contestants have to perform so there isn’t a unfair advantage on that one couple who gets to do it

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.