Strictly Come Dancing 2021 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
All the contemporary dance routines look the same to me. All are boring, pretentious, wanky, story bollocks. And I never get the "story" they are trying to tell. Needs to stop.
Agree 100%. Can not stand contemporary dance. Absolute shite.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Jesus, the Digital Spy SCD forum is a cesspit tonight - not naming names but a lot of chips on shoulders.

Possible unpopular opinion but I kinda like Contemporary, it looks nice and artistic when done well and often has cool music. I think the issue on SCD is that the pros don't really have sufficient training in the style so it all looks a bit amateur. I can also see why the "stories" behind the dances (which aren't really necessary) and the bare feet does come across a bit naff. Street just seems to be mucking around and almost a free pass. Theatre Jazz can be hit or miss but definitely enjoyable with the right celeb doing it (e.g. Faye Tozer).

I am totally in favour of more pure ballroom/latin pro routines. I don't know if it was here that I saw the Rebel Yell Jive mentioned (I think from 2008). It was fantastic!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
The one contemporary that I really liked was Will Bayley's. It just felt very personal to him and suited him so well. Maybe because it had a bit of a raw, unpolished feel compared to the other attempts, it just had a lot more impact for me

I know nothing about choreography beyond what I like and don't like, but I wonder if one of the reasons a lot of the street CC's feel so flat is that they don't take into account the experience for the TV viewer? I think the best pros know exactly how to make a dance stand out for viewers - making clever use of cameras and the floor - but sometimes the street routines don't do this as much and just feel a bit meh, even though they're obviously upbeat and energetic dances

Reactions: 3
The one contemporary that I really liked was Will Bayley's. It just felt very personal to him and suited him so well. Maybe because it had a bit of a raw, unpolished feel compared to the other attempts, it just had a lot more impact for me

I know nothing about choreography beyond what I like and don't like, but I wonder if one of the reasons a lot of the street CC's feel so flat is that they don't take into account the experience for the TV viewer? I think the best pros know exactly how to make a dance stand out for viewers - making clever use of cameras and the floor - but sometimes the street routines don't do this as much and just feel a bit meh, even though they're obviously upbeat and energetic dances
Ashley and Pasha’s contemporary was stunning. And although it was technically a show dance, Caroline Flack’s contemporary style dance is one of my all time favourites from the show.

The problem with contemporary is it takes a lot to make it look amazing, and you’ve actually got to feel it. It’s much easier to be able to ‘fake it til you make it’ with something like a waltz where you learn the steps mechanically and just do it.

Reactions: 6
Ashley and Pasha’s contemporary was stunning. And although it was technically a show dance, Caroline Flack’s contemporary style dance is one of my all time favourites from the show.

The problem with contemporary is it takes a lot to make it look amazing, and you’ve actually got to feel it. It’s much easier to be able to ‘fake it til you make it’ with something like a waltz where you learn the steps mechanically and just do it.
Ah, I forgot about Caroline's! That was amazing. Going to have to watch Ashley's again as I don't really remember it

Reactions: 1
I hate it when they uproot the whole thing and go to Blackpool.
Its nothing like Vegas so why they keep calling it the Vegas of the North is beyond me.
Blackpool in the ballroom dancing world is a bit like what Wembley is for football. Lots of prestigious dancing competitions are held there and it’s a Mecca in the dancing world. It’s about the legacy of what Blackpool means to the dancers not the “Vegas of the North” tag

Reactions: 13
I quite enjoyed the lack of Blackpool last year. They witter on endlessly about getting there and the production has become OTT every year.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Agreed.

Back when "Come Dancing " was on UK telly and the champs were people like Donnie Burns and Gaynor (forgot her surname, sorry) - the dancing was breathtaking. The latin dancers were fab-u-lous.
I LOVED watching them.
The ladies' latin costumes were awesome too.

There is too much street dancing in Strictly for my liking and far too much contempo-mucky-barefoot-looking earnest faffing about as well.

And the timing of placed legs and arms in some group dances is way out.

I would love to see some tap numbers (with invited group dancers if the Pros can't tap) instead of the same old group dancing we seem to get every week.
Just for a change.
Contemptowaft

With regards to Blackpool being the big place for dancers to go, I can't help but picture the reaction of dancers from around the world when they first see the city of Blackpool.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I don’t mind Blackpool, there is something very special about the Tower Ballroom and I think the occasion of it pushes some dancers to give absolutely brilliant performances. BUT I could easily do without all the build up, and the way they go on and on about it. I can’t watch It Takes Two the week before 🙄

Reactions: 10
I quite like they go to Blackpool and that the highlight of the series for most of them is getting to dance in a Northern Sea Side town that’s seen better days. Better than just a focus on London. I understand why they’ve dropped it, but I think it’s nice to have a regional variation

Blackpool in the ballroom dancing world is a bit like what Wembley is for football. Lots of prestigious dancing competitions are held there and it’s a Mecca in the dancing world. It’s about the legacy of what Blackpool means to the dancers not the “Vegas of the North” tag
And yet they keep on banging on about it.
I think the show is better for not being uprooted and moved there.
It adds pressure - specially for the celebs who have to handle a different floor and also for the crew who have to break down the set, build it all again in a different sized room, break it down and build it again back where they started.
Also the change in floor size means Gilkison brings in extra dancers to fill the space and I dont like that either.

I'll get off my soapbox now - I know its not all about me - but I need to rant sometimes. Makes me feel better to let it all out.

I don’t mind Blackpool, there is something very special about the Tower Ballroom and I think the occasion of it pushes some dancers to give absolutely brilliant performances. BUT I could easily do without all the build up, and the way they go on and on about it. I can’t watch It Takes Two the week before 🙄
Same here.
I might be able to now Zoe has gone.
Her style of presenting is much too "toddler tv" for me.
Also I feel they give away too much before the shows (not just Blackpool week.)
Im probably in the minority but I would rather have the costume and music remain a secret until the show.

If ITT would just tease and give small tasters rather than full-on info, I would enjoy it more.

Last edited:
With regards to Blackpool being the big place for dancers to go, I can't help but picture the reaction of dancers from around the world when they first see the city of Blackpool.
😂 In fairness, the Tower and Winter Gardens are both nice inside!

I would think the insurance for it is pretty high, Saturday night out in Blackpool if they have equipment and relays etc outside the Tower. They might be better doing it from the Royal Albert Hall —big competitions are held there, and with the proms they'll be very used to rigging it.

I agree about the size though, and thank goodness Wembley Week disappeared!

Agreed.

Back when "Come Dancing " was on UK telly and the champs were people like Donnie Burns and Gaynor (forgot her surname, sorry) - the dancing was breathtaking. The latin dancers were fab-u-lous.
I LOVED watching them.
The ladies' latin costumes were awesome too.

There is too much street dancing in Strictly for my liking and far too much contempo-mucky-barefoot-looking earnest faffing about as well.

And the timing of placed legs and arms in some group dances is way out.

I would love to see some tap numbers (with invited group dancers if the Pros can't tap) instead of the same old group dancing we seem to get every week.
Just for a change.
I used to go to dance lessons with my husband and the two teachers hated Strictly, even back in the early 2010s. They said it was not a reflection of true Latin and Ballroom dancing. I’d love to know what they think of it now

Reactions: 4
I used to go to dance lessons with my husband and the two teachers hated Strictly, even back in the early 2010s. They said it was not a reflection of true Latin and Ballroom dancing. I’d love to know what they think of it now
There is always going to be an element of compromise because it is an entertainment show. But it does feel like it gets further and further away from Latin and ballroom every series.

Jesus, the Digital Spy SCD forum is a cesspit tonight - not naming names but a lot of chips on shoulders.

Possible unpopular opinion but I kinda like Contemporary, it looks nice and artistic when done well and often has cool music. I think the issue on SCD is that the pros don't really have sufficient training in the style so it all looks a bit amateur. I can also see why the "stories" behind the dances (which aren't really necessary) and the bare feet does come across a bit naff. Street just seems to be mucking around and almost a free pass. Theatre Jazz can be hit or miss but definitely enjoyable with the right celeb doing it (e.g. Faye Tozer).

I am totally in favour of more pure ballroom/latin pro routines. I don't know if it was here that I saw the Rebel Yell Jive mentioned (I think from 2008). It was fantastic!
The street and contemporary dances seem to be a bit of an easy pass sometimes too - has anyone been in the dance off with either of those? (Genuine question, I gave a terrible memory 😂)

And I think nowadays more and more is put on the shoulders of the pros for a fraction of the wages the judges and contestants get. I know it’s a springboard to great things but they have to learn new dances (Charleston, Street, Contemporary and the show dance for 4 of them), the group dances, the couple dancing when the musical guest is on - on top of the long days training through the week and the mammoth recording/live performance on a Saturday.

Hopefully if they do film the group dances together early on it might give them a bit of respite.

Reactions: 4
I do
The street and contemporary dances seem to be a bit of an easy pass sometimes too - has anyone been in the dance off with either of those? (Genuine question, I gave a terrible memory 😂)

And I think nowadays more and more is put on the shoulders of the pros for a fraction of the wages the judges and contestants get. I know it’s a springboard to great things but they have to learn new dances (Charleston, Street, Contemporary and the show dance for 4 of them), the group dances, the couple dancing when the musical guest is on - on top of the long days training through the week and the mammoth recording/live performance on a Saturday.

Hopefully if they do film the group dances together early on it might give them a bit of respite.
Off the top of my head, Michelle Visage ending up in the bottom two and then got the boot with her Blackpool vogue attempt. And Lauren Steadman got low scores for her contemporary, but didn't end up in the bottom two

Agree about the workload of the pros - I know there's only so much budget to go around, but the discrepancy in pay between them and the judges is insane. And don't get me started on what Bruno got paid for doing absolutely nothing last year 😡

Possibly unpopular opinion but does anyone think Janette is too sweet to be wholesome?!
Even her bio screams I’m a nice person. I’m not buying it.🤨

Reactions: 8
Possibly unpopular opinion but does anyone think Janette is too sweet to be wholesome?!
I think if you have to call yourself a nice or decent human being on your instagram bio you're probably trying too hard.

I've side-eyed her ever since she broke lockdown to spend Christmas at Disneyland with her family, after going on for months about how desperate she was to see Aljiaz.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.