Strictly Come Dancing 2021 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is anyone else finding the pairs impossible to predict this year? I got them nearly all right last year as they just were just so obvious, but haven't got the foggiest this time around

Apart from Dan Walker and Nadiya ha. No one else is going to be with a 6"6 partner, surely

Reactions: 11
I found it quite easy to predict last year and the year before and was mostly right (though got Katya and Janette’s partners the wrong way round both times).

Not so much this year. Despite Dan’s height, I’d rather Nadiya got Adam for a decent run (he’s guaranteed to be in for a while even if a poor dancer). Ugo & Dan seem like the duds of the men so I’d say Amy & Oti for them (any combination).

Rhys is the only ‘ringer’ so I hope he gets a pro who can really produce good choreo.

Reactions: 8
I’m thinking Judi for him - she didn’t show much dance skill on a Loose Women segment that I saw.
I think it will either be Judi or Rose. Not a Neil fan, but do think he would be quite a good partner for Rose, in terms of being quite patient

Reactions: 2
Does she have an implant or use hearing aids I wonder? Because if so I think a partner without a strong accent might help as well, so Neil would be good from that point of view.

Reactions: 4
It's about time Katya got a decent partner this year. She hasn't had one since Joe and even he wasn't a definite. I can see her with Tom Fletcher.

Reactions: 9
It's about time Katya got a decent partner this year. She hasn't had one since Joe and even he wasn't a definite. I can see her with Tom Fletcher.
I'm hoping she gets Rhys, a kids TV presenter with a bit of dance skill is a definite better fit for her style than Nicola was. Totally agree that she hasn't had many good ones and I'm not sure why since she is one of the ones who can choreograph interesting stuff even if a bit OTT for some.

Reactions: 6
After her partnership with Ed Balls and her win with Joe it’s all been a bit downhill from there. She’s been given partners who on paper haven’t been good compared to the others who seem to get ‘good’ partners every year. I really hope she gets someone she clicks with and manages to go the distance with.

Reactions: 7
I wonder how the likes of Katya & Nadiya feel about seldom getting the opportunity to have someone good. Same for those often on the bench and even the likes of Johannes and Dianne. I'd be pretty peeved in their situation TBH, the job may give them exposure but is it that good of a wage to put up with several celebs in a row who can't dance?

Reactions: 1
I guess Katya brought negative publicity to the show with the whole Seannnn episode. People were really beginning to enjoy their partnership and click with Seannn's 'journey' following the Matrix dance. I think Katya (or Neil)'s innovative choreo and theming would've got them quite a bit further. It was quite impressive really as Seannn wasn't a great dancer.

I was disappointed by Nadiya+Lee Ryan being voted out with the Back to the Future dance. It was quite cleverly done and Nadiya pitched the choreography well. The producer-theming definitely didn't help. Other celebs danced a lot worse but had more workable movies/theming/judges scores that kept them out of mid-table danger and so on.

I'd love to see Nadiya, Katya and Karen with the best male celebs this year 😁

I'm not really a fan of Amy+celebs (I enjoy her pro ballroom numbers) and I wasn't bowled away with Nancy's dance style in the pro numbers last year. Then again she was mostly paired with Neil (ha) and they kept doing latin infused with contemporary and street which isn't really my thing.

I prefer the old style crisp ballroom and latin pro dances - the technique was incredible. A lot of the newer pro numbers look overproduced and messy to me 😁 I blame Jason Gilkinson!

Last edited:
Lee didn't have the popularity to go that far but I'd say he was definitely better than 2nd boot. TPTB must have known that the thick jacket would restrict his movement in Cha Cha. He definitely showed some potential in the Week 2 Jive and it felt like Nadiya had found her groove as a choreographer by that point.

Reactions: 7
I'm not really a fan of Amy+celebs (I enjoy her pro ballroom numbers) and I wasn't bowled away with Nancy's dance style in the pro numbers last year. Then again she was mostly paired with Neil (ha) and they kept doing latin infused with contemporary and street which isn't really my thing.

I prefer the old style crisp ballroom and latin pro dances - the technique was incredible. A lot of the newer pro numbers look overproduced and messy to me 😁 I blame Jason Gilkinson!
Agreed.

Back when "Come Dancing " was on UK telly and the champs were people like Donnie Burns and Gaynor (forgot her surname, sorry) - the dancing was breathtaking. The latin dancers were fab-u-lous.
I LOVED watching them.
The ladies' latin costumes were awesome too.

There is too much street dancing in Strictly for my liking and far too much contempo-mucky-barefoot-looking earnest faffing about as well.

And the timing of placed legs and arms in some group dances is way out.

I would love to see some tap numbers (with invited group dancers if the Pros can't tap) instead of the same old group dancing we seem to get every week.
Just for a change.

Reactions: 13
I guess Katya brought negative publicity to the show with the whole Seannnn episode. People were really beginning to enjoy their partnership and click with Seannn's 'journey' following the Matrix dance. I think Katya (or Neil)'s innovative choreo and theming would've got them quite a bit further. It was quite impressive really as Seannn wasn't a great dancer.

I was disappointed by Nadiya+Lee Ryan being voted out with the Back to the Future dance. It was quite cleverly done and Nadiya pitched the choreography well. The producer-theming definitely didn't help. Other celebs danced a lot worse but had more workable movies/theming/judges scores that kept them out of mid-table danger and so on.

I'd love to see Nadiya, Katya and Karen with the best male celebs this year 😁

Agreed, way too much contempo-wafting and modern stuff in the pro dances. But perhaps the producers think that's what gets the audience nowadays?

Also, love your username (y)

Reactions: 3
There is too much street dancing in Strictly for my liking and far too much contempo-mucky-barefoot-looking earnest faffing about as well.
Yes! I feel vaguely embarrassed every time I watch the wafty contemporary numbers. Maybe I'm too literal but I never "get" what they're trying to portray and just feel uncomfortable while they leap into each others arms and look yearningly into the distance.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I partially agree about the modern dance although I do quite like the inclusion of street and theatre. I do think it's starting to take over from the traditional latin and ballroom though which is a shame. There are so many other styles of dance they could include to keep things fresh though and it feels like we always see the same thing!
I am so sick of the producers picking contrived themes and terrible music that have nothing to do with the style of dance. It puts some contestants at such a disadvantage if they get crappy music or a restrictive costume. It's so obvious that some things just won't work I don't know why they insist on it! I wish the producers didn't have so much say and it was left to the professional dancers. Every year there are so many complaints about poor music choices- why won't the producers listen!? Oh and it's starting to get annoying how every other week seems to be a themed week now- do we really need a musicals week AND a film week? Most of the films are not even dance related and if they are then they're probably a musical!
Phew I needed to get that off my chest! Still look forward to it every year though :LOL:

Reactions: 5
I partially agree about the modern dance although I do quite like the inclusion of street and theatre. I do think it's starting to take over from the traditional latin and ballroom though which is a shame. There are so many other styles of dance they could include to keep things fresh though and it feels like we always see the same thing!
I am so sick of the producers picking contrived themes and terrible music that have nothing to do with the style of dance. It puts some contestants at such a disadvantage if they get crappy music or a restrictive costume. It's so obvious that some things just won't work I don't know why they insist on it! I wish the producers didn't have so much say and it was left to the professional dancers. Every year there are so many complaints about poor music choices- why won't the producers listen!? Oh and it's starting to get annoying how every other week seems to be a themed week now- do we really need a musicals week AND a film week? Most of the films are not even dance related and if they are then they're probably a musical!
Phew I needed to get that off my chest! Still look forward to it every year though :LOL:
I can handle musical week and film week. But spooky week needs to be in the bin.

• Haha
Yes! I feel vaguely embarrassed every time I watch the wafty contemporary numbers. Maybe I'm too literal but I never "get" what they're trying to portray and just feel uncomfortable while they leap into each others arms and look yearningly into the distance.

....and they always reach out an arm and slowly pull it back in whilst looking so earnestly and intense.

WTF is that all about?
Does my bloody head in.

I hate it when they uproot the whole thing and go to Blackpool.
Its nothing like Vegas so why they keep calling it the Vegas of the North is beyond me.

I agree Hallowe'en week needs scrapping permanently. The snarly face into the camera and the clawing hands motion was boring the first time. Talk about something overstaying its welcome. End it already.

And song choice not fitting - yes, yes, YES! You are SO right.
First they need to choose music that fits and second, Dave Arch needs to arrange it in a key that the singers can sing comfortably in.
I remember one year they made poor old Lance Ellington [he sang the Gangnam Style one in Vietnamese] - they made him sing a Meatloaf song in a key that Mariah Carey would have struggled to sing in.
Poor bloke had to sing it again for the dance-off.

Ridiculous.

And while I'm on my soapbox, they made poor old Peter Andre wear massive Pirates knee boots. he could hardly walk in the bloody things, let alone do dance steps.
There's loads more, but I'm getting annoyed so I need a lie-down.
😂 :mad::p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
All the contemporary dance routines look the same to me. All are boring, pretentious, wanky, story bollocks. And I never get the "story" they are trying to tell. Needs to stop.

I want to see top quality Latin, ballroom, maybe a bit of Jazz, theatre I can handle. Just some more variety rather than street/commercial and contemporary.

All the contemporary dance routines look the same to me. All are boring, pretentious, wanky, story bollocks. And I never get the "story" they are trying to tell. Needs to stop.

I want to see top quality Latin, ballroom, maybe a bit of Jazz, theatre I can handle. Just some more variety rather than street/commercial and contemporary.

YESSSS!

Some proper latin.
I'll vote for that.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.