Strictly Come Dancing 2020

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder who will partner with Nicola Adams?

Is he a ‘celebrity’ in his own right or did he get the place purely on who he used to date?
Jason Bell is a former NFL player and does punditry for the BBC when they cover American football so he’s definitely a ‘celebrity’. Probably not as well known here in the UK though. I didn’t even know he had dated Nadine!

Does anyone think BBC are only doing the same sex couples to complete with ITV and they may possibly get called out if they don't. I'm personally looking forward to it as I am excited to see what the pros do with it. But strictlys main audience are older generarions who aren't as open-minded. I also think it will get slack as its not "traditional ballroom"...

Hmm I think it could make or break the show 😕

Reactions: 2
Does anyone think BBC are only doing the same sex couples to complete with ITV and they may possibly get called out if they don't. I'm personally looking forward to it as I am excited to see what the pros do with it. But strictlys main audience are older generarions who aren't as open-minded. I also think it will get slack as its not "traditional ballroom"...
I think that they did it because they realised that they would potentially be missing out on decent bookings if they stuck to the traditional male-female couples. I don't believe that Nicola would have signed up otherwise (I think her main opposition was to wearing dresses). They were kinda scraping the barrel last year with some of the names (especially Z listers like Jamie, Saffron & the Viscountess) so if allowing same-sex partnerships gets them a decent signing like Nicola, it would have been silly not to.

Plus, some people did want to see it - what's the harm in giving it a try? As long as Nicola cares more about learning to dance than making history (looking at you, H) then I'll be fine with her.

Reactions: 7
I never used to be a strictly fan but the last 3 years I've enjoyed them. Nicola would be great with Karen. Karen is a fiesty thing and herself is quite androgynous. Karen could easily be in a suit one week and a flowing dress the next.

Reactions: 14
Apparently the American version has cast Carole Baskin...

Not gonna lie that I'd kinda like a controversial signing on SCD at some point. How about Kim Woodburn? I reckon she'd be fabulous entertainment.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Alongside Nicola the other two announced today were Clara Amfo and Ranvir Singh.

I think Gorka might get Clara?

Alongside Nicola the other two announced today were Clara Amfo and Ranvir Singh.

I think Gorka might get Clara?
Gorka will probably get the token Northerner if they are short enough. There were rumours on Digital Spy of Lucy Fallon from Corrie joining the cast, she's definitely getting Gorka if in.

Shame that AJ & Kevin are gone though - not enough short guys in the cast now since there are 3 female celebs in the 5ft2-4 range.

Reactions: 1
I guess Maisie is the token 'ringer' of the year then. No chance of her winning!
Yeah she did well and won the children in need special last year with Kevin so she would fit into 'ringer' category but I'm thinking the whole 'spliff' controversy may put her in jeopardy plus the reports of that she's a 'little madam' as well.

If she's deffo a contestant this year I could see her partnered with Gorka as AJ is no longer on the show.

It seems with the higher profile female contestants so far they are deffo pushing for a female winner this year ala 2018 season.

Yeah she did well and won the children in need special last year with Kevin so she would fit into 'ringer' category but I'm thinking the whole 'spliff' controversy may put her in jeopardy plus the reports of that she's a 'little madam' as well.

If she's deffo a contestant this year I could see her partnered with Gorka as AJ is no longer on the show.

It seems with the higher profile female contestants so far they are deffo pushing for a female winner this year ala 2018 season.
None of the women announced yet strike me as likely winners. It'll be more of the same - the cast stacked with female contenders and mediocre male contestants with 1 or 2 contenders amongst the men, one of whom ends up winning. It's happened several times and they still don't change it.

Stacking the cast with a few more male ringers might actually make a female victory more likely if the men cancel out each other's vote. In a year like 2015, Jay stood out as the only decent male in a year with tons of female contenders and it was kinda the same with Scottish Joe in 2017 once Aston was eliminated.

None of the women announced yet strike me as likely winners. It'll be more of the same - the cast stacked with female contenders and mediocre male contestants with 1 or 2 contenders amongst the men, one of whom ends up winning. It's happened several times and they still don't change it.

Stacking the cast with a few more male ringers might actually make a female victory more likely if the men cancel out each other's vote. In a year like 2015, Jay stood out as the only decent male in a year with tons of female contenders and it was kinda the same with Scottish Joe in 2017 once Aston was eliminated.
Yeah I can see your point.

It's just I remember the build up to the 2018 series there seemed to be an outcry for a female winner that year even before the celebs were announced as the previous 3 winners were all men (the longest streak of the same gender winner in the shows history).

Then comes along Vick Hope, Faye Tozer and Ashley Roberts all female ringers plus chuck on Stacey Dooley as a middler 'journey' contestant for good measure.

I actually feel sorry for Max this year as he has the uphill battle of stamping his own mark on the show when he is going to be compared to Jay left right and centre plus seeing as hes already seen as the ' good looking hunky male' contestant of the series we've already had that winner last year in Kelvin.

Reactions: 3
Strictly's core audience demographic is middle-aged women and gay blokes... both of whom have a liking for nice young men in tight trousers!

It's just I remember the build up to the 2018 series there seemed to be an outcry for a female winner that year even before the celebs were announced as the previous 3 winners were all men (the longest streak of the same gender winner in the shows history).

Then comes along Vick Hope, Faye Tozer and Ashley Roberts all female ringers plus chuck on Stacey Dooley as a middler 'journey' contestant for good measure.
And on the men side, the 2 celebs closest to being a ringer was a 58 year old egomaniac (Danny JJ) and Lee Ryan. The manipulation that year was blatant. At least winning finally got Kevin Clifton out (I think he may still have been on the show otherwise).

And on the men side, the 2 celebs closest to being a ringer was a 58 year old egomaniac (Danny JJ) and Lee Ryan. The manipulation that year was blatant. At least winning finally got Kevin Clifton out (I think he may still have been on the show otherwise).
Yes exactly!

That's why I can just feel they're trying to edge towards a female winner this year.

Of course it's down to the public at the end of the day so we just have to wait and see where the chips fall this year 🤔

Sorry for the silly question but what does ringer mean?
Essentially somebody who’s got very extensive dance background. Despite the “but it’s not ballroom experience” chat anybody with dance experience will 9/10 be levels above a novice. This is why Ashley Roberts got so much stick in 2018 because she had so much more dance knowledge and experience than Stacey.

Reactions: 4
Essentially somebody who’s got very extensive dance background. Despite the “but it’s not ballroom experience” chat anybody with dance experience will 9/10 be levels above a novice. This is why Ashley Roberts got so much stick in 2018 because she had so much more dance knowledge and experience than Stacey.
Ashley was a professional dancer, so I think that’s why she got more stick than the usual ringers. Like even compared to that year like Faye had a lot of dance knowledge but didn’t get as much stick as Ashley.
Did very much enjoy both of them though, especially Ashley but definitely not going to win, more for entertainment purposes.

Seems to be 5 men and 7 women this year if it's 12 celebs, hoping for 13. Otherwise, why such an uneven gender split?

I'd be up for Maisie getting Gorka provided that she isn't difficult as has been rumoured - poor guy was frazzled by the end of his series with Alexandra Burke.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Zoella (Joe Suggs' YouTuber sister) is rumoured over on her Tattle page!
My favourite pros are Johannes and Gorka.
My cat's name is Ginger Neil.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.