Storm Arwen

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know the woman who lives in the house that had the roof and gable end blown away. She's lost everything, the floors in the bedroom caved in and everything was blown away. She has insurance but it may not cover a full rebuild.

Some trees in the dene and Mere Knolls cemetery are down. A couple fell from Mowbray Park into Toward Rd, some of the glass blew off the roof of the Bridges, and a few trees beside the fish Quay fell.
Me, I'm sick of sweeping sand out of my house so I'm lucky really.

Bet the Xmas tree at Sea Rd didn't survive.
There were a couple of fallen trees blocking access to the Doxford International. Not just little saplings either, great big duck off Oaks that must have been there for decades. It's almost awe inspiring what the wind can do.

Where is this!?
Sunderland in the North East. Eastern Scotland and North East England caught the brunt of it. I guess because we're way up North most people didn't get just how vicious it was. Believe me if this storm had hit London rather than Durham it would've been top story on the news for days.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
Sunderland in the North East. Eastern Scotland and North East England caught the brunt of it. I guess because we're way up North most people didn't get just how vicious it was. Believe me if this storm had hit London rather than Durham it would've been top story on the news for days.
I'm grateful it's just been cold rather than windy here in our neck of the Midlands.

Reactions: 6
The size of the waves are the main reason why the pier was never developed as an attraction like Brighton etc.

However, there's a museum underneath the pier in the tunnel that leads to the lighthouse. The tunnel was to evacuate the keepers in storms like Arwen, and is now used to evacuate fishermen who can get trapped on the pier in bad weather as well as being a small museum.

Reactions: 7
I know the woman who lives in the house that had the roof and gable end blown away. She's lost everything, the floors in the bedroom caved in and everything was blown away. She has insurance but it may not cover a full rebuild.

Some trees in the dene and Mere Knolls cemetery are down. A couple fell from Mowbray Park into Toward Rd, some of the glass blew off the roof of the Bridges, and a few trees beside the fish Quay fell.
Me, I'm sick of sweeping sand out of my house so I'm lucky really.

Bet the Xmas tree at Sea Rd didn't survive.
L
Is that the house in Whitburn you were talking about ? The photo was real bad of the roof just sitting in the road

My mam went past the Xmas tree today and I’m sure she said it was still up

Reactions: 1
Oh wow. I always imagine living by the sea and it being so idyllic etc, never really think of how terrifying it must be with storms.

Reactions: 8
I hope everybody is okay xoxo

It sounds terrifying. I grew up with earthquakes but storms like this scare me a lot more!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Oh wow. I always imagine living by the sea and it being so idyllic etc, never really think of how terrifying it must be with storms.
There are some beautiful coastlines in this part of the world, and now that all the traces of those ugly and smelly collieries have disappeared the area is returning to it’s pre-industrial revolution roots as a semi-rural district spotted with smaller communities. It must be remembered though, for all the nice coastlines this ain’t the med, it’s the North Sea and even in the height of summer you have to be a special kind of crazy to go in the water without a heavy duty wetsuit because it’s feckin’ freezing.❄❄❄

And seagulls? Psychopaths all.....

Reactions: 9
The problem is that ever since Michael Fish got caught out saying there wasn't going to be a hurricane back in 1987, weather forecasters now exaggerate the potential dangers to a ridiculous degree.

The weather today in most parts of the country is not "severe", it's "seasonal". High winds and snow showers are exactly what you would expect in late November.
This comment didn’t date well 🥴

People have been stranded in Newcastle all weekend because effectively Scotland’s border has been closed due to the storm. Trains finally back on later this morning

There are still homes without electricity in Northumberland without electricity. Not all of these are rural, some more suburban .

Some churches are open for people to drop in , and charge their electronic devices, use the microwave and hot water etc.

The Salvation Army actually apologised on Facebook that they couldn't offer overnight shelter or shower facilities in response to some comments people were making on line .

• Sad
Reactions: 5
We
These are photos my friend sent me who lives in Whitley bay in north east (luckily where I live 15 minutes drive away was in the amber zone)
Have similar pics where we live on North Wales coast, a couple of houses minus their roof, walls, fences and lots of trees uprooted, roads closed and trains not running. Lots of places without electricity. I read somewhere that if these photos were from South of England they would be on all newspaper front pages but they are from the North so what. I think they are right.

• Heart
  • Sad
People are still without electricity in Northumberland, County Durham and parts of Scotland.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Yeah my aunts area is still without power, she's working in the local school cooking meals so people at least during the day can have some hot food an a warm place since the school is running on a back up

• Heart
Reactions: 8