Storm Arwen

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone help? Elderly couple I know unable to get meaningful contact with electricity company, been without any since storm last night 😞

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 6
Anyone help? Elderly couple I know unable to get meaningful contact with electricity company, been without any since storm last night 😞
There's a number in the UK its 105 I believe, I've never used it but am sure you phone it in the event of a power cut an if you are either vulnerable or incause of danger an you need help, I think they advise you or can put you in touch with a emergency power company

Reactions: 3
There's a number in the UK its 105 I believe, I've never used it but am sure you phone it in the event of a power cut an if you are either vulnerable or incause of danger an you need help, I think they advise you or can put you in touch with a emergency power company
Thankyou, yes. They managed to contact them this morning and said they would get an engineer to call them, saying it was a fault in their home but no one called back. I tried that number and web chat for ages and got no where. I'm fuming that they are vulnerable and have been left like this with no end in sight. I offered to book them into a hotel but they don't like any fuss and don't want to be parted from their dog. I just don't know where to go from here. I'll phone that number again, see if any luck.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Thankyou, yes. They managed to contact them this morning and said they would get an engineer to call them, saying it was a fault in their home but no one called back. I tried that number and web chat for ages and got no where. I'm fuming that they are vulnerable and have been left like this with no end in sight. I offered to book them into a hotel but they don't like any fuss and don't want to be parted from their dog. I just don't know where to go from here. I'll phone that number again, see if any luck.
I hope you manage to get somthing sorted for them, have you a twitter? Usually company's when called out on twitter response in minutes as they hate being called out, you could put somthing up asking others for help as company so an so won't do anything, even if the company still doesn't do anything twitter has a huge audience so perhaps others know of a way to help

I hope you manage to get somthing sorted for them, have you a twitter? Usually company's when called out on twitter response in minutes as they hate being called out, you could put somthing up asking others for help as company so an so won't do anything, even if the company still doesn't do anything twitter has a huge audience so perhaps others know of a way to help
No I don't have social media's 😞 I used a friend's Facebook to ask for help but nothing really. Thanks for help, I could probably set up a temporary twitter, I'll try that (y)

Our power has only just come back on. It’s been off since 11.30pm last night.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Well Arwen has finally got bored and moved on to annoy someone else but now we've got snow thicker than Katie Prices make-up. I see an "inside day" coming on tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
We had a light snowfall earlier but it's stopped now. It's icily cold, though. I can feel it even with the heating on

Reactions: 2
Its bloody cold isnt it? My poor dog (8 month old chug) has been too scared to go outside so she's had a few accidents today which im not at all mad at her for. Poor thing gets to the garden, feels a gust of wind and bolts back in! I would have took her for a walk but its been such a cold wind today and she would have been jumping at me to pick her up and take her home.
OH has had the heating on most of the day and dogs taken herself upstairs to sleep under the blanket next to OH's feet.

• Heart
Never heard anything like it last night, I was awake on and off and our youngest woke up in the middle of the night, ending up in with us.

Snow was welcomed by my two this morning but had melted by midday. Less wind today but bitterly cold. Very glad my eldest has had his footy cancelled tomorrow!!

Stay safe all x

Reactions: 6
Waaaaaah no trains to Scotland tomorrow so my Christmas cocktails and shopping day is cancelled, covid cancelled it last year 😭

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I've just read three people were killed by trees being blown down! There were winds of 100 MPH and thousands of homes ended up with their power cut off!

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
The 24 hour power cut here was caused by a tree blowing down and several a power line.

• Sad
  • Heart
When we had the wind storms in autumn 1987, the actor who played Rene in Allo Allo ended up critically ill for a time after a tree was blown over and fell on his car.

Reactions: 5
When we had the wind storms in autumn 1987, the actor who played Rene in Allo Allo ended up critically ill for a time after a tree was blown over and fell on his car.
I remember that, in the later episodes he had a scar on his forehead.

Is there anyone else in either Scotland or the North East experiencing this at the moment 🙁

I live in the Seaburn area of Sunderland and I can see waves that must be 20 feet high.

It's Greta's apocalypse I tell ya 😱
my mam sent me photos of the tree next to seaburn metro , can’t believe it uprooted the roots , they were massive

The problem is that ever since Michael Fish got caught out saying there wasn't going to be a hurricane back in 1987, weather forecasters now exaggerate the potential dangers to a ridiculous degree.

The weather today in most parts of the country is not "severe", it's "seasonal". High winds and snow showers are exactly what you would expect in late November.
I don’t recall the previous November’s seeing photos sent by my parents seeing actual roofs on the roads , sides of houses caved in , cars and vans demolished by falling bricks

Reactions: 5
Our power was finally restored this morning after 25 hours. Never been so grateful for electricity. It was a double whammy for us as we all have Covid so we couldn't go to a relatives or out for something hot to eat, so it was cold sausage rolls and scotch eggs for dinner 😂. The 105 number was useless for us, just kept cutting off after the recorded message. Hope everyone is OK.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
my mam sent me photos of the tree next to seaburn metro , can’t believe it uprooted the roots , they were massive

I don’t recall the previous November’s seeing photos sent by my parents seeing actual roofs on the roads , sides of houses caved in , cars and vans demolished by falling bricks
I know the woman who lives in the house that had the roof and gable end blown away. She's lost everything, the floors in the bedroom caved in and everything was blown away. She has insurance but it may not cover a full rebuild.

Some trees in the dene and Mere Knolls cemetery are down. A couple fell from Mowbray Park into Toward Rd, some of the glass blew off the roof of the Bridges, and a few trees beside the fish Quay fell.
Me, I'm sick of sweeping sand out of my house so I'm lucky really.

Bet the Xmas tree at Sea Rd didn't survive.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
I know the woman who lives in the house that had the roof and gable end blown away. She's lost everything, the floors in the bedroom caved in and everything was blown away. She has insurance but it may not cover a full rebuild.
Where is this!?

Reactions: 1