Stick with an only child or should I have another...?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I LOVED being an only child and if I have kids I would want to stick to the one. I'm extremely close to my parents and was all through childhood, had plenty of friends and I slotted into their lives so well we managed to do lots of exciting things my whole life I know we couldn't have done if I had had more siblings! Don't resent it one bit! If I have kids, I want one so I can give him or her the same quality I had myself. - At least, I'd plan to only have one, anyway! I know oopsies can happen haha.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’m an only child and I don’t plan on having more than one child myself. Everyone is different but I never felt lonely or like I was missing out :)
I'm the same as you. IF I do decide to have children I will probably only have one.

I 1000000% didn't miss out on anything from being an only child and wasn't ever lonely.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’ve got a 5yo and I’m a single parent to him who’s inching closer to 40 now so looks like he will be an only child. I never thought I’d only have one child but I can’t see me going through it again with my current partner just to get rid of my guilt of him not having a sibling. Financially I’d struggle with nursery fees, I’d need to upsize home, change work hours etc plus going through the newborn stuff again now that we are past all that would exhaust me. I hope he doesn’t feel bad not having a sibling he does ask for a brother sometimes but I said to him what if you had a sister? and he was against that idea 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I have two boys aged 5 and nearly 2. I never wanted a third, but my only sibling has recently moved away and it has triggered me to want a third! I kind of feel like an only child. I also look after the elderly and as crazy as it sounds it’s a lot of pressure for only children to look after their parents, which realistically when my parents are old it will be all on me as I live close to them. Can anyone tell me that had 3 children what the transition was like is it a good/bad idea? Our wedding has been cancelled for next year so we are getting married in 2022. If I get pregnant after my wedding I will be 32, my partner 30.

Reactions: 1
I always think in these situations. Would you grow old regretting you didn't have another.
If you would. Then go for it!

Reactions: 4
I only have 1. No regrets. We’re a happy family, my boy is incredibly social and loves spending times with friends. I never got the urge to have another one. I only have a small family, my mother is an only child and she said she was not bothered growing it, she got her parents undivided attention.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I have one, never wanted more and now that he's 8 there's no way I'd do the sleepless nights and everything that comes with babies/toddlers again. I enjoy his company so much more as he gets older. And I feel like "me" again.
I'm not an only child but I'm not terribly close to my sister, so I never felt the need give him a sibling.

Reactions: 7
I'm 30 been with my partner for 7 years but we don't yet have any children yet. I was an only child up to the age of eleven and I did find it quite lonely as my mum was an only child so I also never had any cousins to play with growing up. I always thought I would like 2 or 3 kids but as I'm getting older and I don't plan on starting a family for a few years yet I'm thinking it might not be possible to have more than 1.
I would also love to have my own child and then maybe adopt after that.

I am an only child and had no issues growing up. I never felt lonely and in fact was quite independent and happy being by myself. It meant I got the nurturing and attention I needed from my mum.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I don’t have kids but if I’m honest your cons outweigh your pros. I don’t even necessarily think your pros are particularly encouraging- loving being pregnant I wouldn’t say is a pro for having another child, 9 months vs the other 18 years 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I have two children with a 7 year age gap so in some ways it can be like having 2 only children. My eldest is really sociable and can make friends easily but he did want a younger sibling he wasnt lonely just wanted to have a little brother. Despite the age gap they would be lost without each other. My eldest says he cant remember life without his brother. I would love to have 1 more but im single.

Im one of 5 and glad to have come from a big family. If I ever fall out with one of them I can always speak to one of the others I also have a 9 year age gap between me who is the second oldest and the youngest and we get on great. Its easier now we are both adults.

I think if you really want to have another go for it. If I wrote a pros and cons list when I was pregnant with my eldest the cons list would have out weighed the pros. I was 21 just graduated, about to go do my pgce to become a teacher, still lived at home which was crowded plus I shared a room with my younger sister and unemployed but I'm glad I had him.

Reactions: 2
I have two boys aged 5 and nearly 2. I never wanted a third, but my only sibling has recently moved away and it has triggered me to want a third! I kind of feel like an only child. I also look after the elderly and as crazy as it sounds it’s a lot of pressure for only children to look after their parents, which realistically when my parents are old it will be all on me as I live close to them. Can anyone tell me that had 3 children what the transition was like is it a good/bad idea? Our wedding has been cancelled for next year so we are getting married in 2022. If I get pregnant after my wedding I will be 32, my partner 30.
I have 4. Everyone told me going from 2 to 3 was the hardest and I'd have to agree. My first 3 were all boys and very close together in age though. I had 3 kids under the age of 3 at one point, but yours are a much more manageable age for having a newborn.

I have 4. Everyone told me going from 2 to 3 was the hardest and I'd have to agree. My first 3 were all boys and very close together in age though. I had 3 kids under the age of 3 at one point, but yours are a much more manageable age for having a newborn.
See I got told people found 1-2 harder than 2-3. But I would still worry, yes my boys would i both me at school if I had another? X

Just my 2p worth but I was an only child. So were 2 of my best friends. We all had great childhoods and were never lonely. In contrast, the other 2 girls in our group who had siblings had mixed childhoods - one never got on with her brother and they're no longer in contact now we're in our mid 30s, the other has 2 sisters but they have a lot of drama. I always find it a bit weird when people say they 'could never' only have 1 child as if it's a bad thing? There are millions of only children, it's perfectly normal and fine.

Reactions: 11
I have 3 children, but whether to stick with 1 or have multiple children was taken out of my hands in my first pregnancy as I received a 2 for 1 offer in the form of twins - that being said I’d always imagined having more than 1 as I come from a big family.

Reactions: 2
See I got told people found 1-2 harder than 2-3. But I would still worry, yes my boys would i both me at school if I had another? X
I had 3 under 3 at one point then 4 in 5 years, to be honest going from 0-1 was the hardest transition for me. Once I became a parent that is who I was and adding more children just enhanced that. But none of the transitions were particularly hard including 0-1, and I wish I had had more children If I am honest. My 4 play lovely together for the most part and I definitely found parts of lockdown boring as they were all busy playing with each other and didn’t need me for anything 😂😩

Reactions: 4
I had quite a gap between my second and third so having a baby again was fun but to be honest it was just fine. I found 0-1 the hardest transition, 1-2 and 2-3 were easy in comparison. Just another one to add to the chaos 😆

0-1 was the hardest for me because your whole life changes, but as someone mentioned above I still didn’t find it overly difficult. 1-2 and 2-3 we didn’t feel much difference at all!