Spending Christmas day alone

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Merry Christmas to my fellow solo Christmasers! I have had a mini Prosecco with my breakfast and whisky in my coffee. Also crisps and chocolate. Am rewatching the latest series of Doctor Who as I really enjoyed it but found bits confusing. Though I’m not sure the alcohol will help make it less confusing on rewatch 😂

I’ve got a pizza and bottle of wine for later then somehow must remain slightly sober to FaceTime my parents in Canada this evening. All in all happy with my plans for the day! How are the rest of the Xmas lonesters doing? Wishing you a lovely day whatever you are up to!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
My 5th Christmas alone and I love it! I find Christmas Day and the run up to it very triggering so this feels so much more better for me x

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Woken up not long ago, going to have my Christmas pizza soon. Then it's onto the drinking! Merry Christmas all

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Happy "we do our own type of Christmas" 🎄 🤗 :giggle:

(that emoji is the nearest I'm getting to a tree this year :LOL: )

Wishing you all a very happy, calm, peaceful, chilled out day of rest and hogging the remote :cool:

• Heart
Reactions: 5
A big Merry Christmas to my fellow Tattlers!! 🎉🎄🎅🏻🎁 I hope you'll all be able to have a good day whether this is how you've chosen to spend the day or if circumstances have meant you are unable to see friends or relatives - sending a big virtual hug to you all ❤

I must admit in some ways I'm just trying to pretend it's not Christmas today! I know it's 'just another day' but it feels different being alone on Christmas day compared to any other day.

I'd really like to get your viewpoint on this...

**Warning: long ass message ahead**

This will be the second Christmas I've spent alone, last year I was too due to us being in lockdown.

I have multiple health conditions (one of which is issues with my immune system) and I need to be so careful with regards to catching covid as its highly likely that I'd end up in hospital and having complications despite having had all my vaccinations.

Just for a bit of background I live alone and would usually spend Christmas at my mums who lives nearby. She was in a long abusive marriage but along with my nan I encouraged and helped her to finally leave. Unfortunately in the last couple of years she's met someone, he comes across initially as nice but over time it's become apparent he's very controlling. He has no friends (which in itself is a red flag) so fills his time with seeing my mum. He doesn't like that my mum comes to see me once a week for a few hours (he drives, she doesn't - he brings her and collects her) and accused me the Christmas before last when everyone was out of the room and not within earshot that I take advantage of her and it's too much for her to be coming over. Now I'm the type of person that would crawl over broken glass before asking for help from anyone, to be thought of as this was really upsetting. I told my mum after he left and she said it's so unlike him but believed what I was saying because I don't make things up. He brushed it off and made out it was just out of concern for her which she believed. Of course he's sweetness and light around her and after being in an abusive marriage she cant see beyond the love bombing and sees the controlling behaviour as him being caring. With all the lockdowns and where I was shielding etc I've managed to avoid seeing him - they've been good for one thing at least!!

I don't see my father due to how abusive he was to me when I was younger and seeing what my mum went through. My sisters still see him and he tries to keep in their lives by buying their love. Sadly we've never been especially close but things have got more distant this past year (I had to go for tests for a suspected cancerous breast tumour and they didn't even bother to see how I'd got on which surely you'd do if you cared about someone? One example amongst many).

Last Christmas my mum spent with her boyfriend and one of my sisters. This year it's both my sisters, one of their boyfriends who she's only been seeing a couple of months and of course my mums boyfriend. I explained I wouldn't be able to come as one sister has only had the initial vaccination (purposely won't have the others) the other one and her boyfriend are just recovering from having covid and her boyfriend works in a very busy place in the city so in contact with lots of people. It was just too much of a risk what I could be exposed to especially how contagious Omicron is. My mum has just accepted that I'm not coming and seems more worried about making things nice for the my sisters boyfriend!

One of the worries my mum had when leaving my father was that she might be alone on Christmas or new year, despite the fact they'd never really do anything for NYE. I promised I would never ever see her on her own and have spent each year with her until she met her boyfriend. My sisters just went ahead and did what they wanted. I just feel so betrayed and a bit of a mug to be honest.

For some reason it's been worse this year the thought of being on my own and has made me feel really low despite being someone who enjoys their own company and adores Christmas. I've broken my ribs and ankle a couple of weeks ago which isnt helping.
My friends have been absolutely wonderful and I don't know what I would've done without their support. They've offered me to come and be with their families but its a special time and I don't want to impose where many are going to spend it at their parents or extended family too. My other relatives live abroad so unable to spend it with them, we'll zoom later which I'm looking forward to.

If you've made it through this far I salute you! It's all a bit Jeremy Kyle and I didn't want to turn this into War and Peace but it's a bit of a complicated one without the facts.

My question was, do you think I'm being selfish hoping that one of my family would offer to spend Christmas or some of the day with me?

I'm off in a bit to give my wonderful dogs a walk then expect to be face down in a tin of quality street by mid afternoon 😄👌

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My question was, do you think I'm being selfish hoping that one of my family would offer to spend Christmas or some of the day with me?
No, not at all. It would have been nice if your mother could have returned all the support you've given her over the years to come by and see you on her own - and not to have gone on so much about pleasing your sister's short term boyfriend.
Thankfully it sounds like you have lovely friends - as you deserve.
Enjoy your day and zoom call later and don't let them spoil your holiday x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I don’t think that is selfish at all, but equally mi don’t think you should feel you are an imposition at a friends family Xmas, we frequently have people over to our family Xmas if they don’t have anyone else to celebrate with, the more the merrier! I hope you manage to have a nice relaxing day in any event ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
@emm @Curly Top Thank you for such kind words, you've really made me feel a bit better ❤

I just wanted to get an outsiders perspective to see if I was being overly unreasonable by hoping they'd want to spend part of day with me. Families eh?!

I hope you're enjoying the day as best you can 😊🎄 xx

@emm I'll keep that in mind for next year about spending the day with friends! Thank you again x

• Heart
What's are us Christmas alone people making for dinner x
I was going to see if any takeaways were open but I’ve just gone on Uber Eats and there’s about 20 restaurants supposedly “open”. Seems like far too many for Christmas Day so I bet it’s wrong. Don’t want to order for nothing to turn up.

I was going to see if any takeaways were open but I’ve just gone on Uber Eats and there’s about 20 restaurants supposedly “open”. Bet it’s wrong. Don’t want to order for nothing to turn up.
Im sure some would be open - turkish/Indian places usually are because they don't celebrate Christmas. I've ordered pizza before on Xmas lol

Im sure some would be open - turkish/Indian places usually are because they don't celebrate Christmas. I've ordered pizza before on Xmas lol
Oh yeah I’m sure a couple probably are but I bet lots of them aren’t and it’s showing as open because no ones updated it lol. Don’t really want to risk picking one that’s not open.

I was going to see if any takeaways were open but I’ve just gone on Uber Eats and there’s about 20 restaurants supposedly “open”. Seems like far too many for Christmas Day so I bet it’s wrong. Don’t want to order for nothing to turn up.
I don’t know where you are but near me in suburban London` loads of places are open, that’s probably correct

I don’t know where you are but near me in suburban London` loads of places are open, that’s probably correct
I’m in a seaside town so not a big city. That’s why I’m assuming it’s not entirely correct lol. Not the end of the world I’ve got a few picky bits in

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I don't celebrate Christmas. I grew up not celebrating it and although I'm no longer in touch with my family, I still don't celebrate it. I spent the last 6 Christmases alone and even though it can be lonely at times, I've gotten used to it. I always entertain myself with cooking cozy foods, eating deserts and watching movies. It's a great time for introspection and a much needed break from the rest of the world.

I find people to be overly hypocritical around Christmas. Those who claim to be "atheists" / "agnostics" or " not very religious" still celebrate Christmas, which in my opinion is highly contradictory with their beliefs. It's mainly a commercialized holiday these days, nothing more. A bit like Halloween and Thanksgiving in the US.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
You could always call the restaurant and see if they answer.

I’ve been with family for the afternoon but I’m happy to be back home and in pjs with my daughter for the rest of the night. Christmas is draining.

Reactions: 1