Spending Christmas day alone

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Me. 👋

I won't even bother with decorations this year.
I never put up any in the 5 years I spent the it alone. I used to get all my favourite food and drinks in and do all my chores on the 23rd. I’d go out with friends on Christmas Eve and spend Christmas Day slobbing on the sofa watching stuff I’d planned to watch for ages while grazing. If it was a really bright crisp morning I’d sometimes go for a walk. It was ace!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Cadbury mini rolls have always been horrible.

Christmas cards are a nice way of telling people you're thinking of them, but the rising cost of stamps is prohibitive in them being sent out in the first place.

Reactions: 3
Christmas day alone actually sounds lush, but then I really like my own space. Honestly I don't really get the bug fuss about it, especially from adults.

Although I'm not spending it alone (I'll be with my husband) we haven't really got any specific plans (except a walk if the weather is kind). Not even sure if I'm gonna bother making Christmas dinner.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Could you fit in seeing your son at some point during the day? E.g. pop over for breakfast or evening, or maybe invite him to yours. Or does he live quite far away from you? What is the reason you don't want to do the original plan? Your son might be quite worried about you if you do spend the day alone.

Reactions: 1
I have done. Not intentionally, got stranded due to bad weather and couldn't make it home. Officially I missed my family very much and wished i could be with them. Unofficially, I bloody loved it. Lie in, no cooking, entire day in pyjamas and fluffy socks, watching movies, drinking Baileys and eating crisps!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I’m spending Xmas alone this year. We’ve had to cancel our planned holiday as my mother-in-law has been diagnosed with cancer. My husband will fly over to spend Xmas with his family and I’m going to stay home alone … our house is thankfully a xmas tat free zone this year

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I’m spending Xmas alone this year. We’ve had to cancel our planned holiday as my mother-in-law has been diagnosed with cancer. My husband will fly over to spend Xmas with his family and I’m going to stay home alone … our house is thankfully a xmas tat free zone this year
are you happy about it?

I was planning to spend Christmas alone this year but now be with a friend instead. Honestly I would've just cooked a nice dinner, and watched some good stuff on the telly. I was way more excited to do that than spend an 'expected' forced day, pleasing everyone else & being around people you don't want to be around.

Reactions: 5
I wish I could spend it alone! Which sounds really selfish as I have a loving family, but my MH is not good at all. I hate the forced happiness, the rush, the false pretence. I live at home with my Mum while I save for a house deposit so I will regularly be retreating to my room for 10 mins to just breathe. I recently bought a car so I have the option of escaping for a drive to a park for a Christmas Day walk if needs be.

• Heart
Whilst I'm not going to be alone, I don't spend Christmas with anyone other than the people who live in my home (husband and sons). It's been this way for years as the extended family Christmas days were getting too structured and exhausting. We now have very casual Christmas days. I dress up but the men don't 😂 - I look like I'm at the wrong party. We eat with breaks between courses, watch crap TV, and drink much nicer wine than usual.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Yes to spending Xmas alone as I don’t like Xmas unless it involves going somewhere exotic on holiday.

I’m not happy my mother-in-law has cancer though obviously.
sorry I realised I posted that without thinking about the second part, I wish your MIL the best ❤

Reactions: 2
I've had a couple, one my Mum was seriously ill and in hospital, I spent most of the day with her there, waiting for her Consultant and discussing her care plans and my kids were in bed by the time I got back.

Another my marriage of 20+ years ended :oops: I spent that on my own, eating a bowl of cereals lol, because I was meant to be at a huge family event and it turned very sour. Other half didn't defend me and a family member and for me, it was the final straw.

Some of the other posters above me mentioned it's just another day and sometimes, it very much feels like it.

If it's a case that you get to decide to have that time for yourself, (rather than it going pear-shaped lol) then there are ways to make it feel like a great day :giggle: You can start with a lovely breakfast of your choice, have a lovely soak in the tub, or shower with some nice new smellies. Grab your fav chocs, because....... (one joy of being a onesie) you don't get pipped to the best ones and you can have whatever you darn well like ;)🤗

You could have a facepack, paint your nails, have a full on pamper day (foot spa if you wanted in front of a film lol) and just snuggle up with a good book, a great film, youtube, pop on here for a natter and catch up.

Maybe book up to see your Son for Boxing day, or new year's eve or new year's day? Hope whatever you decide, you have a lovely time x

• Heart
Me. 👋

I won't even bother with decorations this year.
Same here dont really feel in the spirt or mood for Christmas. I'm at work most of next week but Monday and Wednesday, early finish christmas eve and I'm off work for christmas day for the first time in years wish I wasn't to be honest but just feels pointless obviously I'll still see my mum, brothers and nephews over a couple of days when they are off work too, back at work on boxing day til new years eve

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I'll be alone christmas day, first time ever. Not too fussed as I don't really like christmas. I work nights so I'll be asleep most of the day anyway.

Reactions: 2
Just wondering if anyone has spent Christmas day alone or is planning too as I'm giving it some serious consideration this year 🤶
I did it last year and I bloody loved it 🤣

People seem so twitchy if you say you want to....I'm like well I'm alone every other day and nobody gets flappy then so what's the difference 🤣

Had a Xmas dinner delivered, I could watch what I wanted to, stayed in my Xmas PJ'S and I COULD DRINK as normally I can't as I have to drive somewhere.

• Heart
My boyfriend is spending Christmas alone. He's welcome at his families place as well as mine but he's not interested. He's one of these anti Christmas people that think die hard is a Christmas film 🙄

One year he made himself a pigs in blanket roll for Xmas Dinner and gamed all day.

Do whatever makes you happy I say