Spending Christmas day alone

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just wondering if anyone has spent Christmas day alone or is planning too as I'm giving it some serious consideration this year 🤶

Reactions: 12
No but if it's something you are considering (rather than being left with no choice) then I would give it a go but have a back up plan for later if required.

Although Christmas is about giving and spending time with loved ones, I find that in reality, it can also be quite a selfish time.

Everything about it, is pleasing other people. My in laws who wants us to go to theirs every year, even though she knows my mum's a widow (and that my dad died on Christmas day).
If we don't do a morning visit, it has to be an evening visit. If it's not my in laws, it's someone else.

As I said, my mums a widow and lives alone. She will spend some time with family until after dinner and then it's HER time. She goes home & throws on her PJ's, watches what she wants to watch and eats her chocolates without sharing!

I'd love to sit on my backside all day, eating, drinking and being merry. Instead I'm getting up at 4am, slaving over a hob and running around like a headless chicken...and my kids just want to play around with their new gadgets/toys without any forced entertainment.

Reactions: 22
So the current plan was for me to go over to my sons on the morning, about 11ish then go to his gf's mams house for picky food then go home. The original time slot I was given was for breakfast then go home on my own but I objected to that!! This will be the first time ever that I haven't spent the whole day with my son. I'm single and don't really have anywhere else I can go. The more I think about it the more I don't want to have to get up to go out and not have a Christmas dinner.

What I fancy doing is getting up, going to Durham Cathedral for one of their morning services, then maybe have a nice quiet walk around Durham, go home, change into comfies, making myself a little Christmas dinner and just relaxing.

My big worry is that I will feel alone and upset myself. I've very good at being on my own most of the time but it worries that my already fragile mental health might not be able to take it. That said it could be the best thing I ever do!! Decisions, decisions . . .

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Not alone but it's just going to be me and my mum this year, for the first time. Our family is mostly all gone now as my extended relatives were all much older than me. So it will be very quiet and rather strange, although I'm looking forward to things not being as high pressured as usual.

Whatever you do on the day, do what is best for you and take no notice of the societal nonsense that being alone is bad. You'd think with the media banging on about mental health awareness they would stop the agenda that unless you are surrounded by dozens of people you are a loser but they never do.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
So the current plan was for me to go over to my sons on the morning, about 11ish then go to his gf's mams house for picky food then go home. The original time slot I was given was for breakfast then go home on my own but I objected to that!! This will be the first time ever that I haven't spent the whole day with my son. I'm single and don't really have anywhere else I can go. The more I think about it the more I don't want to have to get up to go out and not have a Christmas dinner.

What I fancy doing is getting up, going to Durham Cathedral for one of their morning services, then maybe have a nice quiet walk around Durham, go home, change into comfies, making myself a little Christmas dinner and just relaxing.

My big worry is that I will feel alone and upset myself. I've very good at being on my own most of the time but it worries that my already fragile mental health might not be able to take it. That said it could be the best thing I ever do!! Decisions, decisions . . .
The thing is, in reality, it IS just another day. You just make that day a little bit nicer than what you do on a usual day. Put on some new PJ's and buy some special food that you like. Have a plan to keep your own mind busy. Hold off watching fave Netflix episodes until Christmas day etc

Social media is the devil. That's when you start thinking...'maybe I should have done this'.

But what you described, is exactly what I mean. Christmas day is always about pleasing others and that's the selfish element to it.

Can you arrange another day close to christmas, where you can do the meal etc with your son?

• Heart
Reactions: 18
The thing is, in reality, it IS just another day. You just make that day a little bit nicer than what you do on a usual day. Put on some new PJ's and buy some special food that you like. Have a plan to keep your own mind busy. Hold off watching fave Netflix episodes until Christmas day etc

Social media is the devil. That's when you start thinking...'maybe I should have done this'.

But what you described, is exactly what I mean. Christmas day is always about pleasing others and that's the selfish element to it.

Can you arrange another day close to christmas, where you can do the meal etc with your son?
I think it will be a social media free day!! Yes we can organise something else to spend some time together. The more I think about it the more I think my mind is made up about going it alone.

*rushes off to peruse Christmas pj's in the internet 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I spend most Christmas Days alone unless I’ve traveled to Canada to be with my parents, which is not that often these days. I love it, it’s a day to do exactly what I want without worrying about anything else! Usually I get some nice DVDs, books and food and just have the cosiest day possible :)

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I think if you're choosing to spend it alone it can probably be quite nice. In saying that I've spent quite a few alone not through choice and was quite miserable knowing everyone else was having a good time together whilst I was alone.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I would love to spend it alone just one year, everyone flogs to the house an am left doing the Xmas Dinner, for once it would be nice an just laze around without worrying if I have everything, what time to put things on, trying to keep conversation while seeing to a dinner etc

I have had the occasional new year's alone through choice, they all had their snarky comments about that, my family is one that everyone lives in each others houses, but new year isn't ours that's picked thank god so I was able to say no to some years an honestly spending it alone with my dog before he passed was some of the best new years I've had, no trying to please others, no keeping up with drink least they think your weird for not drinking, no stressing over trying to do this or that etc, just sit back an enjoy some TV

Reactions: 8
I have never spend xmas day alone, quite different but I have spend the last 5+ NYEs alone, friends/family always seem to find it odd but I love it. I threat myself some nice food, make a cocktail, watch a film on netflix and just relax

Reactions: 7
I think it could be a lovely day to yourself - you can do whatever you want and answer to no one. Do what makes you happy and don't overthink it and get bogged down in the christmas day of it all - its just another day!

I've spent a Christmas day alone, and really loved it. I was in my late 20s at the time! I watched Gone With The Wind (all five hours of it!), had some nice food, and just relaxed.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I've spent a few Christmas days alone over the years. They've always been the best ones. You can make the day exactly how you want. I always stock up with good food and start recording films or finding stuff I want to watch in the few weeks leading up. There's no mad pressure or hype that you get with being with other people. My Christmases have always been wildly different so never had a 'tradition' so that's helped. To me it's for kids anyway, so don't get involved with all the schmaltz that's associated with it.

• Heart
I've spent a few Christmas days alone over the years. They've always been the best ones. You can make the day exactly how you want. I always stock up with good food and start recording films or finding stuff I want to watch in the few weeks leading up. There's no mad pressure or hype that you get with being with other people. My Christmases have always been wildly different so never had a 'tradition' so that's helped. To me it's for kids anyway, so don't get involved with all the schmaltz that's associated with it.
Exactly...Christmas is what YOU make of it. Don't feel under pressure to conform with the 'but Christmas is a family time'...yes, but someone's ideal day is *not always* someone else's ideal day.

Christmas Eve, Boxing day, Twixmas, New Year...lots of other days to celebrate with others and probably with less pressure.

Nights when my daughter and boyfriend aren’t here are always an exciting idea so I plan to spend it by myself but the reality is very boring and lonely! No way would I do Christmas Day alone.

I have personally never done it but I know friends that have, and I think if it’s what you want then it can be a lovely day. No pressure, doing what you want eating what you want! No sitting on the floor cause there aren’t enough seats and playing games you can’t be assed to play!

Reactions: 2
You can please yourself and watch what you want on telly. Doesn't sound so bad!

There is a difference between spending the day alone and spending Xmas day being lonely .

Visiting the cathedral for a Christmas service sounds like something that would be nice to experience, and it obviously appeals to you. Would it be something you wish you could have done if you don't go?

If you fear you might mentally become fragile alone, remember it's just a day. Can you arrange something for boxing day with your son ?

What would you do if you had an afternoon/ evening to do what you want in the house?

Reactions: 3