Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

So so able

So the current plan was for me to go over to my sons on the morning, about 11ish then go to his gf's mams house for picky food then go home. The original time slot I was given was for breakfast then go home on my own but I objected to that!! This will be the first time ever that I haven't spent the whole day with my son. I'm single and don't really have anywhere else I can go. The more I think about it the more I don't want to have to get up to go out and not have a Christmas dinner.

What I fancy doing is getting up, going to Durham Cathedral for one of their morning services, then maybe have a nice quiet walk around Durham, go home, change into comfies, making myself a little Christmas dinner and just relaxing.

My big worry is that I will feel alone and upset myself. I've very good at being on my own most of the time but it worries that my already fragile mental health might not be able to take it. That said it could be the best thing I ever do!! Decisions, decisions . . .

• Heart
Reactions: 27

Milktray

VIP Member
No but if it's something you are considering (rather than being left with no choice) then I would give it a go but have a back up plan for later if required.

Although Christmas is about giving and spending time with loved ones, I find that in reality, it can also be quite a selfish time.

Everything about it, is pleasing other people. My in laws who wants us to go to theirs every year, even though she knows my mum's a widow (and that my dad died on Christmas day).
If we don't do a morning visit, it has to be an evening visit. If it's not my in laws, it's someone else.

As I said, my mums a widow and lives alone. She will spend some time with family until after dinner and then it's HER time. She goes home & throws on her PJ's, watches what she wants to watch and eats her chocolates without sharing!

I'd love to sit on my backside all day, eating, drinking and being merry. Instead I'm getting up at 4am, slaving over a hob and running around like a headless chicken...and my kids just want to play around with their new gadgets/toys without any forced entertainment.

Reactions: 22

Milktray

VIP Member
So the current plan was for me to go over to my sons on the morning, about 11ish then go to his gf's mams house for picky food then go home. The original time slot I was given was for breakfast then go home on my own but I objected to that!! This will be the first time ever that I haven't spent the whole day with my son. I'm single and don't really have anywhere else I can go. The more I think about it the more I don't want to have to get up to go out and not have a Christmas dinner.

What I fancy doing is getting up, going to Durham Cathedral for one of their morning services, then maybe have a nice quiet walk around Durham, go home, change into comfies, making myself a little Christmas dinner and just relaxing.

My big worry is that I will feel alone and upset myself. I've very good at being on my own most of the time but it worries that my already fragile mental health might not be able to take it. That said it could be the best thing I ever do!! Decisions, decisions . . .
The thing is, in reality, it IS just another day. You just make that day a little bit nicer than what you do on a usual day. Put on some new PJ's and buy some special food that you like. Have a plan to keep your own mind busy. Hold off watching fave Netflix episodes until Christmas day etc

Social media is the devil. That's when you start thinking...'maybe I should have done this'.

But what you described, is exactly what I mean. Christmas day is always about pleasing others and that's the selfish element to it.

Can you arrange another day close to christmas, where you can do the meal etc with your son?

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Jen667

VIP Member
I have done. Not intentionally, got stranded due to bad weather and couldn't make it home. Officially I missed my family very much and wished i could be with them. Unofficially, I bloody loved it. Lie in, no cooking, entire day in pyjamas and fluffy socks, watching movies, drinking Baileys and eating crisps!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
Christmas day alone actually sounds lush, but then I really like my own space. Honestly I don't really get the bug fuss about it, especially from adults.

Although I'm not spending it alone (I'll be with my husband) we haven't really got any specific plans (except a walk if the weather is kind). Not even sure if I'm gonna bother making Christmas dinner.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

PollyPerks

Merry Christmas to my fellow solo Christmasers! I have had a mini Prosecco with my breakfast and whisky in my coffee. Also crisps and chocolate. Am rewatching the latest series of Doctor Who as I really enjoyed it but found bits confusing. Though Iโ€™m not sure the alcohol will help make it less confusing on rewatch ๐Ÿ˜‚

Iโ€™ve got a pizza and bottle of wine for later then somehow must remain slightly sober to FaceTime my parents in Canada this evening. All in all happy with my plans for the day! How are the rest of the Xmas lonesters doing? Wishing you a lovely day whatever you are up to!

• Heart
Reactions: 13

HaggisInMyBin

Chatty Member
Me. ๐Ÿ‘‹

I won't even bother with decorations this year.
I never put up any in the 5 years I spent the it alone. I used to get all my favourite food and drinks in and do all my chores on the 23rd. Iโ€™d go out with friends on Christmas Eve and spend Christmas Day slobbing on the sofa watching stuff Iโ€™d planned to watch for ages while grazing. If it was a really bright crisp morning Iโ€™d sometimes go for a walk. It was ace!

• Heart
Reactions: 13

So so able

Just wondering if anyone has spent Christmas day alone or is planning too as I'm giving it some serious consideration this year ๐Ÿคถ

Reactions: 12

Briar Rose

Not alone but it's just going to be me and my mum this year, for the first time. Our family is mostly all gone now as my extended relatives were all much older than me. So it will be very quiet and rather strange, although I'm looking forward to things not being as high pressured as usual.

Whatever you do on the day, do what is best for you and take no notice of the societal nonsense that being alone is bad. You'd think with the media banging on about mental health awareness they would stop the agenda that unless you are surrounded by dozens of people you are a loser but they never do.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Helicopter68

My 5th Christmas alone and I love it! I find Christmas Day and the run up to it very triggering so this feels so much more better for me x

• Heart
Reactions: 11

PollyPerks

I spend most Christmas Days alone unless Iโ€™ve traveled to Canada to be with my parents, which is not that often these days. I love it, itโ€™s a day to do exactly what I want without worrying about anything else! Usually I get some nice DVDs, books and food and just have the cosiest day possible :)

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Offtobuttonmoon

VIP Member
A big Merry Christmas to my fellow Tattlers!! ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ…๐Ÿป๐ŸŽ I hope you'll all be able to have a good day whether this is how you've chosen to spend the day or if circumstances have meant you are unable to see friends or relatives - sending a big virtual hug to you all โค

I must admit in some ways I'm just trying to pretend it's not Christmas today! I know it's 'just another day' but it feels different being alone on Christmas day compared to any other day.

I'd really like to get your viewpoint on this...

**Warning: long ass message ahead**

This will be the second Christmas I've spent alone, last year I was too due to us being in lockdown.

I have multiple health conditions (one of which is issues with my immune system) and I need to be so careful with regards to catching covid as its highly likely that I'd end up in hospital and having complications despite having had all my vaccinations.

Just for a bit of background I live alone and would usually spend Christmas at my mums who lives nearby. She was in a long abusive marriage but along with my nan I encouraged and helped her to finally leave. Unfortunately in the last couple of years she's met someone, he comes across initially as nice but over time it's become apparent he's very controlling. He has no friends (which in itself is a red flag) so fills his time with seeing my mum. He doesn't like that my mum comes to see me once a week for a few hours (he drives, she doesn't - he brings her and collects her) and accused me the Christmas before last when everyone was out of the room and not within earshot that I take advantage of her and it's too much for her to be coming over. Now I'm the type of person that would crawl over broken glass before asking for help from anyone, to be thought of as this was really upsetting. I told my mum after he left and she said it's so unlike him but believed what I was saying because I don't make things up. He brushed it off and made out it was just out of concern for her which she believed. Of course he's sweetness and light around her and after being in an abusive marriage she cant see beyond the love bombing and sees the controlling behaviour as him being caring. With all the lockdowns and where I was shielding etc I've managed to avoid seeing him - they've been good for one thing at least!!

I don't see my father due to how abusive he was to me when I was younger and seeing what my mum went through. My sisters still see him and he tries to keep in their lives by buying their love. Sadly we've never been especially close but things have got more distant this past year (I had to go for tests for a suspected cancerous breast tumour and they didn't even bother to see how I'd got on which surely you'd do if you cared about someone? One example amongst many).

Last Christmas my mum spent with her boyfriend and one of my sisters. This year it's both my sisters, one of their boyfriends who she's only been seeing a couple of months and of course my mums boyfriend. I explained I wouldn't be able to come as one sister has only had the initial vaccination (purposely won't have the others) the other one and her boyfriend are just recovering from having covid and her boyfriend works in a very busy place in the city so in contact with lots of people. It was just too much of a risk what I could be exposed to especially how contagious Omicron is. My mum has just accepted that I'm not coming and seems more worried about making things nice for the my sisters boyfriend!

One of the worries my mum had when leaving my father was that she might be alone on Christmas or new year, despite the fact they'd never really do anything for NYE. I promised I would never ever see her on her own and have spent each year with her until she met her boyfriend. My sisters just went ahead and did what they wanted. I just feel so betrayed and a bit of a mug to be honest.

For some reason it's been worse this year the thought of being on my own and has made me feel really low despite being someone who enjoys their own company and adores Christmas. I've broken my ribs and ankle a couple of weeks ago which isnt helping.
My friends have been absolutely wonderful and I don't know what I would've done without their support. They've offered me to come and be with their families but its a special time and I don't want to impose where many are going to spend it at their parents or extended family too. My other relatives live abroad so unable to spend it with them, we'll zoom later which I'm looking forward to.

If you've made it through this far I salute you! It's all a bit Jeremy Kyle and I didn't want to turn this into War and Peace but it's a bit of a complicated one without the facts.

My question was, do you think I'm being selfish hoping that one of my family would offer to spend Christmas or some of the day with me?

I'm off in a bit to give my wonderful dogs a walk then expect to be face down in a tin of quality street by mid afternoon ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ‘Œ

• Heart
Reactions: 9

OatMatchaLatte

VIP Member
I've spent a Christmas day alone, and really loved it. I was in my late 20s at the time! I watched Gone With The Wind (all five hours of it!), had some nice food, and just relaxed.

• Heart

So so able

The thing is, in reality, it IS just another day. You just make that day a little bit nicer than what you do on a usual day. Put on some new PJ's and buy some special food that you like. Have a plan to keep your own mind busy. Hold off watching fave Netflix episodes until Christmas day etc

Social media is the devil. That's when you start thinking...'maybe I should have done this'.

But what you described, is exactly what I mean. Christmas day is always about pleasing others and that's the selfish element to it.

Can you arrange another day close to christmas, where you can do the meal etc with your son?
I think it will be a social media free day!! Yes we can organise something else to spend some time together. The more I think about it the more I think my mind is made up about going it alone.

*rushes off to peruse Christmas pj's in the internet ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Heart

Snippysnips

VIP Member
I would love to spend it alone just one year, everyone flogs to the house an am left doing the Xmas Dinner, for once it would be nice an just laze around without worrying if I have everything, what time to put things on, trying to keep conversation while seeing to a dinner etc

I have had the occasional new year's alone through choice, they all had their snarky comments about that, my family is one that everyone lives in each others houses, but new year isn't ours that's picked thank god so I was able to say no to some years an honestly spending it alone with my dog before he passed was some of the best new years I've had, no trying to please others, no keeping up with drink least they think your weird for not drinking, no stressing over trying to do this or that etc, just sit back an enjoy some TV

Reactions: 8

TheGlossy

VIP Member
I don't celebrate Christmas. I grew up not celebrating it and although I'm no longer in touch with my family, I still don't celebrate it. I spent the last 6 Christmases alone and even though it can be lonely at times, I've gotten used to it. I always entertain myself with cooking cozy foods, eating deserts and watching movies. It's a great time for introspection and a much needed break from the rest of the world.

I find people to be overly hypocritical around Christmas. Those who claim to be "atheists" / "agnostics" or " not very religious" still celebrate Christmas, which in my opinion is highly contradictory with their beliefs. It's mainly a commercialized holiday these days, nothing more. A bit like Halloween and Thanksgiving in the US.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Warpaint

VIP Member
Woken up not long ago, going to have my Christmas pizza soon. Then it's onto the drinking! Merry Christmas all

• Heart

Warpaint

VIP Member
I've spent a few Christmas days alone over the years. They've always been the best ones. You can make the day exactly how you want. I always stock up with good food and start recording films or finding stuff I want to watch in the few weeks leading up. There's no mad pressure or hype that you get with being with other people. My Christmases have always been wildly different so never had a 'tradition' so that's helped. To me it's for kids anyway, so don't get involved with all the schmaltz that's associated with it.

• Heart
Reactions: 7