Sophie Toscan du Pantier. Netflix & Sky crime.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They’re different watch murder at the cottage first, I felt the Netflix one was biased and focused on making IB look guilty, murder at the cottage not so much.. some of my friends that only seen the Netflix one are convinced he done it.. I have watched both and I still don’t have a clue.. leaning more to the side that he didn’t do it.. a lot of things don’t add up .. as someone above said where is the gate that had evidence on it, how is a gate lost.. I don’t think the Netflix one mentions the gate being lost
The Netflix one does mention it but I think it was that retired detective, the 'Cork Columbo' that says it and it's only very briefly in passing. It's really easy to miss.

Dying to see Murder at the Cottage! Going to keep looking online to see if I can find it.

Reactions: 3
The rumor down west cork was that it was a guard who did it. I’m 50:50 with in thinking is Ian guilty or not. Will we ever know!!

Listen to the podcast West Cork... absolutely fantastic! I don’t think Ian Bailey killed her but I do believe he loves the media attention. He’s a narcissist and made Jules’ life a misery. I have a strong feeling her french husband has something to do with it... why wasn’t he interviewed? Why didn’t he come straight to Ireland after she was found? He remarried a year later 🤔 he had a lot of money and power... something tells me he’s involved.

Reactions: 6
Why would Ian say those things to people round the town, like what he said to the guy who came to see if he was ok?
Why would he burn certain clothes and random things. And boots?
How did he know about the murder before it was 'known'?
Why was he soaking a big coat in a bucket in December?
Why did he mention going up to Sophie's house on that night before she was murdered?
Why did he say he'd never met her or knew much about her, just knew of her when Sophie had received a letter from him and had told her friends in France about it?
It happened 3 miles down the road from him, 1 mile as the crow flies and it's farm land/fields etc and he takes regular walks and knew Sophie's neighbour. Just seems like he could easily get to those houses.
He is definitely a narcissist. Like how it's ok for him to write articles about the husband hiring a hitman or it was the husband and other theories but articles on suspicion of him are slander and he takes them to court... And how he can just walk up to her house and peer in the window like he has a right to for a story. And all this everyone listen to me recite my poetry. And just blows past the fact that he beat his wife up regularly.
I want to know more about the daughters, they must have more info on his actions after the murder and more things he blurted out when drunk.
Sometimes I think he probably did do it out of rage and then thought to himself hmm I could make money off of this case and be a great journalist again.

Why did Marie Farrell lie? And when was she lying? All the time, the first times or the last? She rang from pay phones using a different name to start off with and didn't have Ian Bailey in mind... So what would be the point in her lying then? Why all those years later say she made it up and she didn't give a reason, and go through all the news, courts and misery for all that time just to say out of the blue yeah no I was lying.. none of that makes sense, if she was or wasn't lying.

Why didn't the husband go to Ireland after the murder? Or make any appearance or effort to find out what happened to Sophie?
Why was she worried about going by herself this time? (Was it to do with maybe meeting Ian? Or meeting someone else?)

How did the neighbour not hear anything? Wouldn't Sophie be screaming?

Why do the gaurdi not prevent the crime scene from being trampled all over?
And how do you 'lose' a gate?
And why didn't they keep DNA samples that could've been checked now? Like the big breeze block? Of course it would mainly be Sophie's blood but it didn't pick itself up.

Just a few things I've been thinking don't make sense if Ian isn't guilty and a few if he is. And just general wondering.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Watched this on Netflix last night and I don’t know what to think. There’s a lot that points to Bailey but I can also see why he’d be a good scapegoat.
I feel like Sophie must’ve known her murderer, no sign of a struggle inside the house and the keys in the door suggest that she answered the door to someone and willingly walked those few yards down the road with them before being attacked. According to the documentary, she had met Bailey and he asked to meet with her regarding something he was writing.
The coat soaking in the bucket? The burning of the mattress? Is it possible Sophie had been in his bed some time before she was killed?
Didn’t Jules tell the court that the scratch on his head appeared overnight or did I pick that up wrong? He said he broke the turkeys necks and strung them up their feet but one of the dead turkey’s still managed to scratch him on the head?
The whole Marie Farrell thing is a head duck, I don’t know what’s going on there. Could a guard have seen her with another man and threatened to tell her husband unless she made a statement against Bailey who was already disliked and seen as weird by the locals so nobody would really question his guilt once the seed was planted?

The missing gate?? It can’t have gone missing, it was obviously disposed of but why? A Guard was involved in the murder? The guards discovered the evidence from the gate would vindicate Bailey so better to dispose of it than be seen to have no suspect given the huge public interest in the case? Bailey, being an investigative journalist, knew something about a guard (an affair,dodgy dealings etc) and blackmailed the guard into getting rid of the gate because he knew it would link him to the murder?

I really hope the family get justice, my heart broke seeing her poor parents and son 😢

ETA let’s not discount the fact that Bailey is violent and a blatant liar. Jules had pretty severe injuries and was hospitalised after he attacked her and in the documentary he said oh she was hitting me so I pushed her and she got hurt in the process 🙄 no mate you don’t get those injuries from being pushed, her eye was “the size of a grapefruit” and her lip severed from her gum. He should’ve been jailed for that attack on Jules in the first instance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Why would Ian say those things to people round the town, like what he said to the guy who came to see if he was ok?
Why did he mention going up to Sophie's house on that night before she was murdered?
Why did he say he'd never met her or knew much about her, just knew of her when Sophie had received a letter from him and had told her friends in France about it?
All off these questions is why I believe he did it. I think he is a strange man who loves attention and power. Even the way he denied it, if I genuinely didn't do something I wouldn't be giving off "well prove I did it" vibes, I'd be frantically professing my innocence. He calmly said "there is no evidence". Yeah because your burned it all lad!

Reactions: 4
Didn't he take journalists to the scene and give them info that hadn't been made public? My family knew more about this case than I did and they believe it was a hit and that Bailey was set up. I don't know why I can't see it, I see a dangerous man who had a history of violence against a women. They way he spoke to her during the sky documentary was a massive red flag, if and when she didn't say what he wanted to hear he became so aggravated. His diary and those drawings reminded me of serial killers.
Maybe he gets off on people thinking that about him, I thought it was interesting during the netflix doc someone said he appropriated irish culture and wanted to be like one of our famous Irish authors.
Jules daughters hate him and won't come to the house they believe he's guilty. They finished in march but he's still there, I wish someone would go there and pack his bags for him.

Reactions: 6
I seen this on MN the other day on the thread for the sky doc. It’s the 2001 DDP file case, it makes an interesting read particularly when you’ve seen both docs.

I felt uncomfortable with the way he spoke to Jules too, when she said she couldn’t leave him back then because people would have thought he did it. You can only imagine the mind games he played on her. He’s an absolute piece of tit but I still don’t think he killed Sophie. I dread to think what he has done though, them drawings were creepy as duck!

Reactions: 2
I seen this on MN the other day on the thread for the sky doc. It’s the 2001 DDP file case, it makes an interesting read particularly when you’ve seen both docs.

I felt uncomfortable with the way he spoke to Jules too, when she said she couldn’t leave him back then because people would have thought he did it. You can only imagine the mind games he played on her. He’s an absolute piece of tit but I still don’t think he killed Sophie. I dread to think what he has done though, them drawings were creepy as duck!
I know what im doing tonight now, with a cup of tea, when my sons gone to bed 😂 thanks for this!

This is how I imagine Ian Bailey the morning of the 23rd.

Attachments

• Haha

Thanks for this! I'm two episodes into the Jim Sheridan version and finished the Netfllix one already. I'm looking forward to reading this once I'm through both.

It happened 3 miles down the road from him, 1 mile as the crow flies and it's farm land/fields etc and he takes regular walks and knew Sophie's neighbour. Just seems like he could easily get to those houses.
He is definitely a narcissist. Like how it's ok for him to write articles about the husband hiring a hitman or it was the husband and other theories but articles on suspicion of him are slander and he takes them to court... And how he can just walk up to her house and peer in the window like he has a right to for a story. And all this everyone listen to me recite my poetry. And just blows past the fact that he beat his wife up regularly.
I want to know more about the daughters, they must have more info on his actions after the murder and more things he blurted out when drunk.
Sometimes I think he probably did do it out of rage and then thought to himself hmm I could make money off of this case and be a great journalist again.

Why did Marie Farrell lie? And when was she lying? All the time, the first times or the last? She rang from pay phones using a different name to start off with and didn't have Ian Bailey in mind... So what would be the point in her lying then? Why all those years later say she made it up and she didn't give a reason, and go through all the news, courts and misery for all that time just to say out of the blue yeah no I was lying.. none of that makes sense, if she was or wasn't lying.

Why didn't the husband go to Ireland after the murder? Or make any appearance or effort to find out what happened to Sophie?
Why was she worried about going by herself this time? (Was it to do with maybe meeting Ian? Or meeting someone else?)

How did the neighbour not hear anything? Wouldn't Sophie be screaming?

Why do the gaurdi not prevent the crime scene from being trampled all over?
And how do you 'lose' a gate?
And why didn't they keep DNA samples that could've been checked now? Like the big breeze block? Of course it would mainly be Sophie's blood but it didn't pick itself up.

Just a few things I've been thinking don't make sense if Ian isn't guilty and a few if he is. And just general wondering.
These are excellent questions! I've been wondering some of them myself - can't believe the neighbour didn't hear anything, can't believe they couldn't get hold of the pathologist for half a day, can't understand how they lose a gate, and I really don't get the DNA thing - surely there has to be some somewhere? I think she went willingly down the lane, knew her killer but was taken unawares. And I think Marie is a lying sack of tit, whichever way you look at it. bleeping busybody.

Reactions: 8
Something very off about Marie, she matched her glasses to her hairband and shirt.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Why didnt Marie ever reveal the identity of the man in the car with her that night? Surely he could have confirmed what/who she saw on the bridge that night?

We just finished watching the Netflix doc last night, feel it should have been called ‘when gards are tit’.
That poor woman, and her son 😢

Reactions: 2
Didn't he take journalists to the scene and give them info that hadn't been made public? My family knew more about this case than I did and they believe it was a hit and that Bailey was set up. I don't know why I can't see it, I see a dangerous man who had a history of violence against a women. They way he spoke to her during the sky documentary was a massive red flag, if and when she didn't say what he wanted to hear he became so aggravated. His diary and those drawings reminded me of serial killers.
Maybe he gets off on people thinking that about him, I thought it was interesting during the netflix doc someone said he appropriated irish culture and wanted to be like one of our famous Irish authors.
Jules daughters hate him and won't come to the house they believe he's guilty. They finished in march but he's still there, I wish someone would go there and pack his bags for him.
Haven’t seen the sky documentary but judging by his attack on Jules I’d say Bailey is definitely capable of murder. Usually the most logical explanation is the correct one. Although the way the investigation was carried out is beyond questionable, I do believe he did it.

Reactions: 5
Haven’t seen the sky documentary but judging by his attack on Jules I’d say Bailey is definitely capable of murder. Usually the most logical explanation is the correct one. Although the way the investigation was carried out is beyond questionable, I do believe he did it.
And who is going to argue with you Columbo, although there was that time you missed a major clue on the LMD thread :ROFLMAO:
Seriously though, I can't see past Bailey either, but I'm going to listen to the podcast, apparently they cover more ground.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
And who is going to argue with you Columbo, although there was that time you missed a major clue on the LMD thread :ROFLMAO:
Seriously though, I can't see past Bailey either, but I'm going to listen to the podcast, apparently they cover more ground.
You won’t let me live that one down Mavis 😭🤣 In my defence everyone thought the 🎀 emoji meant the kid was called Beau, I however, being the top detective I am knew it was a red herring 🤪😂
Also thought it weird that he randomly visited Sophie’s neighbour, sounded like he wanted to bump into her or at the very least suss out her house.

You won’t let me live that one down Mavis 😭🤣 In my defence everyone thought the 🎀 emoji meant the kid was called Beau, I however, being the top detective I am knew it was a red herring 🤪😂
Also thought it weird that he randomly visited Sophie’s neighbour, sounded like he wanted to bump into her or at the very least suss out her house.
He wanted to visit her neighbours on the night of her murder. There's coincidence and then there's this.

He wanted to visit her neighbours on the night of her murder. There's coincidence and then there's this.
Not least because it sounded like her neighbours didn’t even like him. More importantly who confesses to murder to various different people and then say it was a joke? He was getting off on scaring people as far as I’m concerned. He’s a vile POS.

Reactions: 5