Sophie Toscan du Pantier. Netflix & Sky crime.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Haven't seen a thread on this, anyone watching?

Murder at the cottage - sky crime

Sophie. A murder in west Cork- netflix.

Sorry won't let me edit the title du Plantier.

Reactions: 5
People are defending Ian Bailey, personally I get big red flags, how he spoke to Jules was really frightening. I'm glad to hear they've broken up.

Reactions: 14
I’m sorry lads but who loses a big bleeping gate? 😂 Bailey is a violent, alcoholic eccentric but there isn’t a shred of physical proof he actually did it. Him being unlikeable isn’t proof. I think he did do it, purely on gut instinct which is uncharacteristically unscientific of me 😂 but there’s a part of me wonders if it’s a cover up for a fellow gard.

Reactions: 14
Don't know what to believe, I wish for Sophies sake she had justice. Could be a cover up, but there's something about him that is so off although he may enjoy the attention either way. I'd love to know more about his and Jules relationship, she broke it off with him but he's still there, living in her house.
Apparently there is a podcast that is very good, goes into details that never were investigated like a man leaving Ireland via boat.

Reactions: 2
I genuinely think that even if he’s innocent he’d still act up for the camera because he loves the attention and the notoriety that comes with it.

why wasn’t Marie Farrell prosecuted for perverting the course of justice if nothing else? There’s definitely something with her that goes beyond attention seeking. Who was she with on Kealfadda bridge? Why did she lie under oath to protect him?

Reactions: 21
What I don’t get is Marie Farrell taking it back saying she lied because she was with another man but like come on you didn’t have to tell them in the first place u were even out that night ffs that woman annoyed me

Reactions: 9
What I don’t get is Marie Farrell taking it back saying she lied because she was with another man but like come on you didn’t have to tell them in the first place u were even out that night ffs that woman annoyed me
This bothered me too. But it’s been 25 years, I’m sure her husband has forgiven her by now for having an affair considering they’re still together. Just tell the truth and be done with it. Sophie has a son who has lived longer without her than he had with her, she owes it to him at least. She went to the police first, it’s not like they went specifically to her.

do you think Ian threatened her?

Reactions: 7
So glad to see a thread here. I can't watch the Murder at the Cottage version where I am but I've watched the Netflix doc. I think Ian is an attention seeker and a nasty piece of work, but I don't think he did it. I think if it wasn't for Marie Farrell's lies (she should be done for perverting the course of justice or similar for what she's done) he wouldn't have become a suspect in the first place.

Reactions: 2
At first I understood why Marie wanted to remain anonymous but the husband knows all now and she still insists she wasn't having an affair and won't give details. She says the guards pressured her to make further allegations, like the cut throat gesture. It was put to her that she changed her tune when Bailey took legal action and she did that for financial gain. They might not have any evidence but he is dangerous, was interested in the victim, had wanted to visit her area on the night of her death, got up out of bed on the night of her murder and can't account for his whereabouts at the time of her death. His hands and face were scratched and the person who stood by him seemed afraid of him and rightly so. I can absolutely see why people think he's guilty.
I think the guards had a strong feeling he was responsible and did everything they could to prevent him doing it again.

Reactions: 3
This bothered me too. But it’s been 25 years, I’m sure her husband has forgiven her by now for having an affair considering they’re still together. Just tell the truth and be done with it. Sophie has a son who has lived longer without her than he had with her, she owes it to him at least. She went to the police first, it’s not like they went specifically to her.

do you think Ian threatened her?
I think ian could well have threatened her. I myself am from a small village in Ireland and there is always someone like Ian Bailey and typically someone like Marie Farrell too 🙄
It’s hard to know but to take her statement back so many years later makes no sense I wonder if she was paid a visit by someone or literally paid to retract her statement... I’d more so say paid a visit by someone. It’s typical in Ireland for someone to know someone if that makes sense 🙄🙄
I hope we can eventually get some answers as too what happened I wasn’t even born then so it’s literally been my whole life I was born jan97

Reactions: 5
I wanted to rewrite the post as I didn’t like how I had wrote it.

As much as he is a prick, an abuser and a strange man. I don’t think Bailey did it. There is no credible evidence that Bailey did it.

She was found at the front of the house, why didn’t she run towards the back and try to alert her neighbours, why did no one hear her scream? If it was a situation where she had been frightened there would’ve been signs of a struggle and she would have probably scared her killer off. I think she was having an affair with a Guard and they have been protecting him ever since. That is why they’re using Bailey as a scape goat as he’s a British man who has beaten his wife. They thought it would be the perfect person to pin this on as any Irish person in 1990s rural Ireland would immediately agree that he done it.

Two wine glasses were found, she was found in her pyjamas,I think an argument escalated between the couple and he hit her with something. Hence why it was first described as a crime of passion as it did not look premeditated. Also, it had happened around Christmas time. Why would a mother and a wife leave her family in France at Christmas to be alone in Ireland? She was obviously spending Christmas with her affair partner.

Her house was also located in an area that only locals would know how to get to. How in the world would a blow in like Bailey who was also supposedly piss drunk at the time managed to get there and not get lost?

Bailey’s DNA or fingerprints weren’t found at the scene, but they did find an unidentified print on a gate that was proven not to be Bailey’s. But somehow the Gardaí lost the gate.

Isn’t it quite strange how everything that could go wrong could go wrong? Like it was deliberately done to destroy evidence and to stall the investigation as much as possible.

Also Marie Farrelly has been proven to not be a credible witness and to be honest she seems like an attention seeking liar.

I can’t believe that a drunk Ian Bailey would be smart enough to clean her house, remove any evidence from her nails, prevent any fingerprints or any DNA to be evident in her house and then clean her house and wipe two wine glasses. But a guard would know what to do avoid detection that they were there.

If anyone is from Ireland they should know Guards don’t give a duck about anything other than themselves they’re self serving and will do anything to protect their own.

Reactions: 16
Two wine glasses were found, she was found in her pyjamas,I think an argument escalated between the couple and he hit her with something. Hence why it was first described as a crime of passion as it did not look premeditated. Also, it had happened around Christmas time. Why would a mother and a wife leave her family in France at Christmas to be alone in Ireland? She was obviously spending Christmas with her affair partner.
I agree with everything you said. I don’t think it was Ian. Surely Jules daughter’s wouldn’t have confirmed the Xmas tree and turkey story if not true. IB abused Jules and that would have been a perfect chance for the daughters to talk to the guards, who definitely would have listened.

Just on the Christmas comment you made though, Sophie did apparently have a flight booked to go home on Christmas Eve. She did intend on spending Christmas with her family. It’s an incredibly sad case and I can’t stop thinking about it if I’m honest. Her poor family and son are so focused on IB, I can’t imagine their pain.

Reactions: 6
I wouldn’t put too much weight on the two glasses. Does nobody else not put their stuff away straight away?

Reactions: 13
I wouldn’t put too much weight on the two glasses. Does nobody else not put their stuff away straight away?
Yeah but why would two wine glasses be out at night time anyway? and why were there no prints on them? I’m probably being nit picky but there’s just so many off things about this case that just points to a Guard doing it as the guards fumbled the bag over and over again to the point where it just looked deliberate.

Reactions: 4
Yeah but why would two wine glasses be out at night time anyway? and why were there no prints on them? I’m probably being nit picky but there’s just so many off things about this case that just points to a Guard doing it as the guards fumbled the bag over and over again to the point where it just looked deliberate.
If she had a glass of wine two nights in a row, washed the glass and left it out to dry without putting it away doesn’t seem unrealistic to me.

A guy I shared a house with years ago is from Skib and he’s heard rumours about it being a coverup too. Apparently there’s a guard there who at that time liked to flash the badge to get his way with women and wasn’t the nicest person. Im not totally convinced Bailey did it either but it’s a lot of assumptions based on a wine glass.

Are the two documentaries the same or are they different?
They’re different watch murder at the cottage first, I felt the Netflix one was biased and focused on making IB look guilty, murder at the cottage not so much.. some of my friends that only seen the Netflix one are convinced he done it.. I have watched both and I still don’t have a clue.. leaning more to the side that he didn’t do it.. a lot of things don’t add up .. as someone above said where is the gate that had evidence on it, how is a gate lost.. I don’t think the Netflix one mentions the gate being lost

They’re different watch murder at the cottage first, I felt the Netflix one was biased and focused on making IB look guilty, murder at the cottage not so much.. some of my friends that only seen the Netflix one are convinced he done it.. I have watched both and I still don’t have a clue.. leaning more to the side that he didn’t do it.. a lot of things don’t add up .. as someone above said where is the gate that had evidence on it, how is a gate lost.. I don’t think the Netflix one mentions the gate being lost
Thank you I have started the one on sky so will finish that then move on to the Netflix one