Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SaintLeo

VIP Member
I stayed in Williamsburg which had a lot of interesting street art. If there are any films or TV series you are interested in then they do the tours which can be really interesting. I found this online:

I did the Sex and the City tour last time I was there so other tours like that are a good shout! Thank you!
---
Oh yes I love walking the high line any time of year and day bc it’s diff vibe with the greenery and flowers as well as light for photos. I saw one of the nyc housewives on my last stroll 😂

If you like art, walking around the chelsea galleries are amazing. Most of them free and always changing. Some of the popular ones like David zwirner with yayoi kusama sold out months in advance bc of the artist. Then chelsea market is closeby and there’s great coffee and food there. Like black seed bagels

If you like food festival type things smorgasburg is fun and there’s one at oculus now…don’t have to trek into Brooklyn.

Agree with @Zulkraa there’s some fun tours in nyc. I saw one for sex and the city.
Smorgasbord looks fab, and Chelsea markets going on the list too!

• Heart
Reactions: 2

misunderstood

First solo trip was to Berlin , I really enjoyed my time there , joined the free walking tours and made a Facebook friend

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
Defo do it! I go to Italy every year. Trains are so easy to navigate which enhances exploring. I use Milan airport as cheaper flights to there. I have also done Italy and incorporated Switzerland and Slovenia. Never felt unsafe ever. Same with Berlin. Loved it. I’ve been so many places alone and then with my baby / toddler who is now 12! We just book flights plans loosely and have the time of our life’s.

Last year flew to rome - train to Naples / sorrento - train then ferry to Elba - Elba to Florence - Garda stayed in camps mostly tbh which was great!

have done Milan - Lugano / Swiss alps - Venice - lido si Jesolo

Milan - Trieste - Slovenia - lake bled (Such a dream)

milan - cinque terre - genoa
(I hate Milan as a city believe it or not lol but I use it to leave straight away ha)

I can go on and on! I get lost and a reroute it really is the best

Sicily is another wonderful place in Italy Cefalù - lovely

In Spain Alicante is lovely (not beni!) imo

this year I’m going Corfu - Albania - bari in Italy.

I book cheap flights and go from there!

So excited for you X
From the little I’ve seen of Albania it looks beautiful and has made me want to go! Are you traveling around or staying in one place?

littlepup

VIP Member
if you want to meet people staying in Hostels (even In a private room) will almost guarantee it, they often do mixers/free pub crawls/walking tours etc.
But equally I used to quite like just having alone chill time, a nice room with a good shower and decent wi-fi to just relax. That’s really valuable too. It depends how long you’re away for, you can mix it up.

Super easy way to get talking is to look a bit lost. Obviously not vulnerable, just checking a map before you leave the hotel/cafe (people approach to help), hearing people talking English and asking for directions/recommendations etc. “Sorry, I couldn’t help but hear you’re speaking English, do you happen to know…?”.
My ex often wore football shirts and people would strike up a conversation about it or even just “oh you’re English….” And get chatting. Doesn’t have to be football but the principle of wearing a band t-shirt, uni sweatshirt, even a bright colour, anything that people might identify with or comment on.

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
So my plan is travel solo once a year. I’ve asked for advice on lapland/Iceland but doesn’t anyone have advice of Venice and Cappadocia?

As I’m thinking of possibly doing one of them in June next year. And then a holiday with a friend at the end of the year. Maybe then solo Iceland/lapland early 2025. Although I keep seeing safaris in south Africa for 2025 so I’m tempted by them. Or a safari trip via a company, I’ve used introtravel before and can book open dates with them. So I could do that sometime in 2025z

MizMac

I’m thinking about 5 days in Lisbon 🇵🇹 end of November, travelling as a solo female. Does any of you lovely lot have any experience of being on their tod in foreign cities in winter?

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
Not a holiday but has anyone been to concerts alone?? I have one booked next year and my favourite band have announced they’ll be doing one.

Notworthy

VIP Member
Thank you, I did have a quick look at Lake Garda. I think it was there anyway as I saw they had a few hostels. I also had a quick look at Monaco/Nice/Marseille via train although a lot longer
I'm hoping to do an Italian train trip but will be adhoc. If i like somewhere, I'll stay a few days, if I don't I'll hop on the train somewhere else

sourlemon

Chatty Member
I’ve just booked a trip to Nashville! I’ve never travelled alone before, I’ll be there for 3 weeks! Does anyone have recommendations on what to do?

• Wow

Pariszai

I’m a 32 year old woman, happily single and no kids with a pretty much non existent social life 😂 but I’m quite a solitary person so doing things alone doesn’t bother me at all. I’m thinking about booking a solo trip to Paris in the spring, maybe March/beginning of April, for a few days. Has anyone else done Paris solo and how did you find it?
I went to Paris solo over the summer and honestly it was one of my favourite trips ever. I didn't feel unsafe but I am sensible with belongings, have a lanyard thing for my phone and a crossbody bag etc.

I stayed in a hostel in gard du Nord and used the metro. Had a day walking to Eiffel tower, Luxembourg gardens, museums, the le entrecotre steak restaurant, did a food tour with 'no diet club' (on Instagram and book through air b&b). A day at Versailles, a day in montemarte, evening seine cruises, morning bike tours of the city.

I hear so many people speak negatively about Paris but I saw none of it personally and loved it on my own. Had never been before and had reservations going to what is apparently a romantic city alone but it was the best few day. I hope you go and love it!!

• Heart
I have 2 weeks off in June, solo holiday needs booking today. Need somewhere in the med, hot, sunny, beaches, affordable but with history and culture as well. Any ideas?
Let us all know where you go and what it's like! I've STILL not booked my solo holiday but one day I will definitely do it

petitspois

VIP Member
Just be careful that you don’t end up having to pay some kind of expensive New Years Eve supplement at your hotel if you do a pacakage type thing.
The Canaries and Egypt are warm. Middle East and S.E Asia too.
I went off going over NYE for that reason, couldn't believe the price of it all. Plus, I was trying to kind of avoid NYE but everywhere seemed to be hell bent on gala dinners left, right and centre.

• Haha

Colin

Thank you! I’m keeping an eye out for flights. But tempted to book an all inclusive in Greece or somewhere instead and just do nothing much for 10days 😄
Is food expensive in Bucharest? Or similar to the UK
It's much cheaper than the UK!! There are restaurants of every kind from fast food places to high end. In most places in the centre a delicious burger and chips would be about £7, local food is usually cheaper still. Alcohol is pretty cheap too, a litre of local wine would cost you about £6-8.

Depending on your budget and what you want from a holiday I can recommend the following. Beach Holidays for Single & Solo Travellers | Neilson
I went as a single parent and there were a few singe travellers that I hooked up with. The group activities make it very easy to meet people and the dining used to be trestle tables that you just plonked yourself on so again very easy to not look like billy no mates. I haven't yet travelled alone but defo planning to as I hate to be restricted by other peoples needs when I'm away. A friend has just come back from a Solo Iceland trip. She rented a camper van and just drove around the country,, absolutely loved it and is planning on solo Mexico now she knows she can do it.
Those look great, thank you! I can totally see myself on Sardinia now...

• Heart

Flowergirl14

VIP Member
Thank you.for.this. I am more interested in visiting Laos and Cambodia and Vietnam, if anyone has more advice would.be great. .still pretty scared (not.scared as such) but ...
I'm going to Thailand and Laos very soon. Will feed back!

• Heart