Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Depends on what you want out of a holiday. Do you want a city break and days filled up with sight seeing? Do you want a beach holiday where you stay near the beach or pool? something with sports?
Ideally a city break, or a resort break with choices to go on trips. I can't just lay by a pool all day, I'd get bored. I like museums, sightseeing, hiking, and eating! Been thinking about a walking holiday in Italy or a similar thing in Portugal. Somewhere I can take amazing photographs (not of myself!) of scenery or architecture. Could I be any more vague😂

Reactions: 2

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
Probably if your main goal is the destination and not the cruise experience itself (not sure if I would enjoy it or not tbh) you might be better off making your own way there x
I found a company that does shorter cruises from and to destinations within Norway

This one's a 3 day cruise so I can spend some time on my own exploring before and after

futbolista

VIP Member
I’m going to be spending a couple of solo days in New York soon. I’ve been a few times before so done all of the obvious stuff, but my last visit was about 10 years ago so wondering if anyone has top tips for things to do & see that are either new-ish or a bit off the usual tourist track? Not planning on venturing too far from Manhattan if I can help it!
Have you been to the highline? It’s one of my fave spots in the city and I visit every time I go back.

What part of town are you planning to stay in? What kind of food do you like?

• Heart

altgirl

Looking at booking my first solo holiday later this year.

Depending how long it takes for my passport to come back (renewing it this week) I’m looking at a long weekend fri- mon and can do any month. Or a week in October but ideally id like sun so I know this would mean going further. Can anyone recommend anywhere? (Edit- I was looking at Greece/ canaries for a long weekend or Florida for October)

I’ve enjoyed reading this thread so far and I’m excited to do this for myself!

• Heart

Sprezza

VIP Member
100 Montaditos could be an option, unless you're already familiar with it, informal Spanish tapas chain. You get the menu, tick off what you want on a form, hand it to the counter and they bring it out for you
Interesting, thanks! I'll check it out
I always go out for tapas alone when I am there, what I would recommend is going on a little tapas crawl, just get one in each place you go, much more fun and you can sample the best in each place!

Pastries are very common for breakfast but its also really common to have toasted bread with kind of grated tomato and olive oil, sometimes also with jamon. So jealous you are in my favourite food country!
Thanks I'll give that a go!

I haven’t been on my own (but it is something I am 100% looking into) but my friend has. She went to Lisbon and had a blast! It has both the beach and city vibes. I’m sure she stopped in an AirBnB and said she felt incredibly safe. She’s into fitness, and did a lot of hiking/running both in the city and around the countryside areas.

soymilk

VIP Member
Does anyone have any advice for eating out alone on Spain? I'm going to Santiago de Compostela today and I'm only just remembering how different the food culture is there 😅
I probably won't go out for dinner in the evening as I imagine the tapas bars will be too crowded but at lunch time? Is it unheard of to order a portion of tapas for yourself? Or would I be better off going to a cafe/restaurant for lunch?
Also what's the tipping etiquette?

Bonus question (sorry!) What about breakfast? Is it like Italy where its common to go for a coffee and a pastry in the morning?
ask for a media ración when ordering tapas so they just give you a smaller portion! and for breakfast most bars will be open in the morning and you can go and get a coffee and pastry or pan con tomate etc. If it's a good local place it shouldn't be more than 3.50€!

• Heart

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
No but I've been wondering about this too
I want to do the Norway Fjords and was looking at a 7 night one on the Iona next Summer, the price quickly racks up though when you're on your own. Don't know if it would be better to fly into Bergen and see if I can do a day boat trip from there x

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
I have 2 weeks off in June, solo holiday needs booking today. Need somewhere in the med, hot, sunny, beaches, affordable but with history and culture as well. Any ideas?

Moonbeams

Chatty Member
Hello! I haven't read every post on this thread but I have travelled solo pretty extensively...America, South America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Asia...any questions just ask. I would say to go somewhere you will feel pretty comfortable first in terms of safety of the place, weather, language, transport links...and build up your courage from there. I travelled a lot - half with friends, half solo - and absolutely loved it. My travelling days are behind me for the moment- hello mortgage! - but happy to help anyone thinking about biting the bullet.

• Heart
My Osteo is a youngish Male and well travelled, he frequently disappears off for a couple of months of travelling and that was his experience of S. Africa. It's safe only if you take extreme care. When he stood outside the Hotel waiting for his cab (as is pretty normal behaviour) He was told to go back in and wait inside until the cab showed up as there was a risk of kidnapping. My Son went a few years ago with his School and it wasn't like that at all. The situation is deteriorating and caution is needed at all times. Caution somewhere like Rome where you get pickpocketed is one thing, having to be cautious because there is a risk of kidnapping is a whole different level. He spent 2 months travelling through Colombia and didn't experience anything like that.
He’s talking absolute crap and I would reconsider he’s exaggeration abilities.

• Haha

Zulkraa

VIP Member
Im considering booking a solo holiday, I’m in my early 20’s and all my friends are in long term relationships so it’s not great for me when trying to go away 😂 I’m single and am just dying to get away! Im only thinking somewhere in Spain for 3-4 nights at first (just to see if I like it) and then perhaps book another if I do enjoy it.

does anyone reccomend anywhere in Spain? Ideally somewhere friendly with lots of Brits as I think I’ll find it easier to chat to people and make friends
Before Jess got into a relationship she used to post solo trips here is one of her videos:

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
I would go. Explain to partner it's a lot of money to lose. I'd go and just do boring stuff like reading in a nice park and enjoying my own company. Maybe see if there are any good films on or a show I'd like to see.
We went to Hamburg to see friends and I absolutely hated the place. Nothing to do but shop. So we spent the day time sleeping in and just wondering from coffee shop to hotel, people watching.
Luckily we had plans for the evening with friends
---

In regards to Barcelona if you've already paid for everything then I would plan a day of hiking up the mountain and spend the rest at the beach reading and relaxing. Lots of cheap food about.
I weren't a big fan of Barcelona so get why you might feel it's a waste but you've paid for it so go and at least try to get some R&R
I'm going in mid October not sure it'll be hot enough I am hoping it'll be hot enough one day for the beach. But I'm hoping I'll have more money then I think 🤞

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
I went to Venice last year as part of a longer group tour round Italy with Intrepid and loved it. It’s definitely somewhere I’d like to go back to as we only had a couple of days and it is really beautiful.

One of the things I didn’t realise (although I guess it’s obvious really!) is there are no vehicles in the city. You arrive either by water or into the train/coach terminal. Not a problem necessarily but we had one of our group who had to catch a really early flight and had to trek though the streets with all her luggage to get to her taxi. No pick up possible directly from the hotel! If you’re travelling alone it’s maybe something worth knowing so you can plan to arrive /leave during daytime.

Water buses are great for getting around and to get out to some of the other smaller islands like Murano and Burano. You can also use them to go over to San Giorgio and climb the church tower there for great views back over Venice and St Marks.

As with trips to other city it’s probably worth booking on some tours to learn more about the famous tourist spots.

The other thing about Venice is chances are you will get lost! The streets are small and winding and there are so many bridges and canals that it’s hard to keep track! Embrace it! Thats the beauty of it I think, just being able to wander and not worry about going anywhere quickly!
Thank you! I’m glad someone replied about Venice in particular as I think that’ll probably be the place I end up going to next year 😄

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I go.on solo trips with groups that I have joined on meetup.
This is because my bf cannot afford to go to some of the places that I want to visit, and I'm not willing to pay for him!!
They are some of the best fun holidays I have ever had. You can follow the group or are free to do your own thing.
Have made some great friends on them...
I joined a great group called Solo travellers on meetup but they went bust during covid

• Sad

LaBlonde

VIP Member
My (Male) Osteo travels a lot on his own. He just came back from S. Africa and from what he said, it's not a place for tourists right now let alone single female tourists so anyone contemplating it, probably better to consider Namibia or Botswana. He's travelled all through S. America with no qualms but he said S. Africa was a whole different ballgame, he couldn't even stand outside the Hotel to wait for his cab in case he was kidnapped.
yikes, what part of south africa was he in?!? i have family who go to cape town (in particular) very frequently and love it. my sister also went there as a solo traveller a little while back (and she’s a seasoned solo traveller who was literally been everywhere). the only place i’ve really heard bad things about was pretoria!

Bubbledoggyyeah

Chatty Member
Any advice on solo travel and recommendations for places over the Christmas period? Thinking of flying somewhere on the 27th ish but not sure where. I hate Christmas and I want to get away this year.

• Wow

littlepup

VIP Member
Has anyone been to Carcassonne? Is it worth going? How long for? And as a solo female?
It's pretty within the walls and worth a day trip. It's populated and touristy so I'd imagine it's safe but for possible pick-pockets. Some nice beaches not too far too.

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
Not beachy-beachy but waterside vibes - somewhere on Lake Garda? It's just a train ride from Venice.
Thank you, I did have a quick look at Lake Garda. I think it was there anyway as I saw they had a few hostels. I also had a quick look at Monaco/Nice/Marseille via train although a lot longer