Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Notworthy

VIP Member
Im currently on the last day of a three week trip around Asia. First week wasnt solo but the last two were. In the three weeks I went to 3 countries. I also did a solo trip to the US last year for two weeks.

I found long haul solo fine. This trip was scarier with more language and cultural differences and I still really enjoyed it. I had one issue getting from the airport to the city but I worked it out. I learned my lesson to check if there are airports nearer the city in future and not go for one a few hours outside the city.
Alternatively transport from the Airport. Some Airports can be an utter nightmare, Miami being one of them as the Cabbies Union managed to stop the Metro from being built to the Airport. There is a Van share so if you are travelling alone this is an option and probably exists at other Airports and is worth looking into.
I find most of Europe pretty good even if the Airport is out in the boonies.
I'm a big fan of Austria and this is a great Country to visit solo, a few days in Salzburg and then a few days somewhere like Zell am See would be a great trip.
Weather in the Summer is lovely, odd shower but if sunbathing it's not worth going indoors, just stay at the pool and it passes.

Reactions: 2

279cupcakes

I’m going to be spending a couple of solo days in New York soon. I’ve been a few times before so done all of the obvious stuff, but my last visit was about 10 years ago so wondering if anyone has top tips for things to do & see that are either new-ish or a bit off the usual tourist track? Not planning on venturing too far from Manhattan if I can help it!
The small is beautiful exhibit is expensive, but lovely! I spent so much time there looking at everything, it was all gorgeous and so intricately done. Washington square park is also nearby which I enjoy.
You said you didn't want to venture too far from Manhattan, but I went to the Brooklyn Botanical gardens last time and it was beautiful. So many different varieties of flowers and even saw some koi fish, such a nice place to have a picnic.

I've booked my first solo trip to Paris next month: pretty nervous but also excited. Only there for two days but would love to hear recs if people have them!

Upintheair83

VIP Member
I know it’s touristy but I still love pike place market. There’s a place called ellenos yogurt. It’s so weird to say but their Greek yogurt is soooo good. Almost like a dessert.

I love the Oregon coast. Stop at the tillamook creamery (dairy brand) for ice cream. The cafe is quite good. Cannon beach of course. Portland has someone gone downhill but there’s no state tax so it’s great to do some shopping and eating there. Lots of greats craft breweries. Salt and straw ice cream. Great food scene. Not sure how far south you’ll go on the Oregon coast but it’s my favourite part of the unites states. I’ve driven alone from San Diego to Vancouver multiple times and it’s a gorgeous drive on the coast. Utah has all the stunning canyons but I’ve never been -still need to go to antelope and horseshoe canyon. Have a good trip! Safe travels.
Thanks so much for this, really appreciate your time and advice ! I go to Cannon Beach tomorrow!
I purchased an alarm door stop for this trip from amazon, so will review if I thought it was good as for lone travellers it may come in useful.

• Heart

Probablylurking66

Hi everyone ☺ I've done solo trips but only in cities in Europe (I've never been outside Europe at all actually!). Just wondering if there are any particular non-European destinations that are safe for female travellers, cheap and not too far away? (I'm in London). I've not done flights longer than four hours and am a slightly anxious flyer. Trying not to let anxiety hold me back from travelling, but it can be difficult at times.

futbolista

VIP Member
No I haven’t yet! The Highline was on the list of possibly things to do so sounds like it needs to be a definite. I’m staying a couple of blocks from Bryant Park and will eat pretty much anything!
Oh yes I love walking the high line any time of year and day bc it’s diff vibe with the greenery and flowers as well as light for photos. I saw one of the nyc housewives on my last stroll 😂

If you like art, walking around the chelsea galleries are amazing. Most of them free and always changing. Some of the popular ones like David zwirner with yayoi kusama sold out months in advance bc of the artist. Then chelsea market is closeby and there’s great coffee and food there. Like black seed bagels

If you like food festival type things smorgasburg is fun and there’s one at oculus now…don’t have to trek into Brooklyn.

Agree with @Zulkraa there’s some fun tours in nyc. I saw one for sex and the city.

• Heart

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
I keep changing my mind on where I want to go! Top now is Bucharest. Just depends if I can get a direct flight. I’m thinking July maybe June next year. As I’ve read June is the second wettest month of the year. My plan would be 7 days therme spa, brown bear spotting and Dracula castle and then relaxing at the pool for the rest of the time. Has anyone been solo?
No but I was thinking of going this December as there are convenient flights out my local airport

emm

VIP Member
So many lovely and useful tips so far! THANK YOU everyone! I've pretty much decided on Italy. Now have to choose when and where...
Depends what kind of holiday you want, but I went to Puglia one September which was just stunning, great weather and the food was AMAZING

• Heart

Hereiam44

I'm going on my first solo UK break tomorrow and I am SO EXCITED! I'm going to do all the things I want - lots of hiking, visiting cute little villages and then being in bed by 10pm 😂

This has arisen because I now find myself single with the vast majority of my friends married with kids and just not into the same things anymore. So I can either wait for someone to come along or I can just get off my bum and do it. I refuse to wait for someone else to be available to let me do the things I want to do with my life.
Have an *amazing* time!!

• Heart

Felix08

Chatty Member
My friend has visited there and she really enjoyed it (she went solo)

I found this blog:

Thank you! ill check it out.

I've never been but I have heard from other people who have solo travelled that all of the Scandi countries are very good and safe, also they all speak amazing English so no need to worry about any language barrier if you do have any issues
Sounds great!

emm

VIP Member
Not a holiday but has anyone been to concerts alone?? I have one booked next year and my favourite band have announced they’ll be doing one.
I always go to concerts alone! Its amazing and (if you want) you can easily talk to other people, actually met a few friends at them but in my experience regardless people at concerts are always friendly

Zulkraa

VIP Member
I’m going to be spending a couple of solo days in New York soon. I’ve been a few times before so done all of the obvious stuff, but my last visit was about 10 years ago so wondering if anyone has top tips for things to do & see that are either new-ish or a bit off the usual tourist track? Not planning on venturing too far from Manhattan if I can help it!
I stayed in Williamsburg which had a lot of interesting street art. If there are any films or TV series you are interested in then they do the tours which can be really interesting. I found this online:

• Heart

futbolista

VIP Member
I always go on holiday alone, but always in Europe. Do you have any advice for trips like that in Asia? I would love to go and as independent as I am I am still terrified to do so
I did a years worth of time in Asia alone. Philippines Thailand Cambodia Vietnam Malaysia indo (mostly Bali) Hong Kong (not alone have friends ) Japan

I have some tips for sure but am watching football 😂 so ask any questions you may have and will answer later

• Heart

littlepup

VIP Member
Jet2holidays has some discounts for solo travellers. hotUKdeals website is showing some but I’m sure there are more on their own website. Looks like you need discount code SOLO30

futbolista

VIP Member
Hoping someone on here is / has been brave enough to go on holiday alone and can give me some tips!

I haven't been on holiday at all for about 5 years for various reasons plus of course the pandemic. My husband doesn't like going abroad (won't fly, everything else is too much hassle for him & he's not really interested enough to go anywhere to make the effort) and all my friends now have babies so I've got nobody to go with but I really want a holiday!

Have any of you (mainly girls) been anywhere abroad by yourselves? I'm thinking Europe, mainly. Where's safe? Where's interesting? Where's easy to go and eat alone? I feel like I'd be OK during the daytime in a city or a resort but not sure what I'd do by myself in the evenings...

Or have any of you been on those guided solo traveller trips? I usually arrange all my own travel as it's cheaper, but maybe I should go for something that's a guided thing?

Any ideas welcome!
i did a solo round the world trip through 19 countries. New Zealand, Oz, europe and asia. Also have done solo road trips around America and Canada.

spain is really easy. Madrid, Barcelona or even San Sebastián. I stayed in some hostels and with friends at the time but could do air bnb with a local host with good reviews. Do some organized day trips and then explore alone. Can join some Facebook groups to find female locals or get tips.

just saw this and am on phone but can answer more questions if you like.

From the little I’ve seen of Albania it looks beautiful and has made me want to go! Are you traveling around or staying in one place?
So I’m a confident traveller howverrr I won’t drive abroad. I’ve read mixed reviews about bus service (some people it worked well others not so well) but I ideally would like to move around for 3 or maybe 4 days X

My (Male) Osteo travels a lot on his own. He just came back from S. Africa and from what he said, it's not a place for tourists right now let alone single female tourists so anyone contemplating it, probably better to consider Namibia or Botswana. He's travelled all through S. America with no qualms but he said S. Africa was a whole different ballgame, he couldn't even stand outside the Hotel to wait for his cab in case he was kidnapped.
This is all absolute bollocks
---
yikes, what part of south africa was he in?!? i have family who go to cape town (in particular) very frequently and love it. my sister also went there as a solo traveller a little while back (and she’s a seasoned solo traveller who was literally been everywhere). the only place i’ve really heard bad things about was pretoria!
Yeah, people talking absolute rubbish about SA. I've just been for two weeks and go often. No worse than some parts of America and far safer than South America

• Heart