Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
I keep changing my mind on where I want to go! Top now is Bucharest. Just depends if I can get a direct flight. I’m thinking July maybe June next year. As I’ve read June is the second wettest month of the year. My plan would be 7 days therme spa, brown bear spotting and Dracula castle and then relaxing at the pool for the rest of the time. Has anyone been solo?

Reactions: 1

Notworthy

VIP Member
This is all absolute bollocks
---

Yeah, people talking absolute rubbish about SA. I've just been for two weeks and go often. No worse than some parts of America and far safer than South America
My Osteo is a youngish Male and well travelled, he frequently disappears off for a couple of months of travelling and that was his experience of S. Africa. It's safe only if you take extreme care. When he stood outside the Hotel waiting for his cab (as is pretty normal behaviour) He was told to go back in and wait inside until the cab showed up as there was a risk of kidnapping. My Son went a few years ago with his School and it wasn't like that at all. The situation is deteriorating and caution is needed at all times. Caution somewhere like Rome where you get pickpocketed is one thing, having to be cautious because there is a risk of kidnapping is a whole different level. He spent 2 months travelling through Colombia and didn't experience anything like that.

• Sad

Monkeybum

VIP Member
I've just booked a solo group hol to Vietnam next year.

My flight has a stopover in Dubai so thinking I might have a few nights there, never been somewhere I've been tempted by but seems a waste not to.

Is it easy to get around/safe for a solo female? And what is there actually to do there 🤷‍♀️ Trying to work out how many nights to extend my hol by

• Sick

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
No but I was thinking of going this December as there are convenient flights out my local airport
Yeh there are good flights from my local airport in feb but I want to see the bears which are only out between May-November.
I also like that it’ll be hot in summer so I can do a some activities and some relaxing at a pool. As that’s what put me off other places I wanted to go as I like a bit of both but other places seem to be one or the other/more complicated for both

• Heart

Felix08

Chatty Member
Than
Yes! I really enjoyed it but it's expensive. A fun trip is to take the overnight ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki, especially in the summer when it's light even at night. It's quite cheap. Helsinki is great, it's such a seasidey chilled out place, loads of fab shops & bars etc, and less expensive than Stockholm. And then you can also take another overnight ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn, another cute Baltic city, and MUCH cheaper than Stockholm, Helsinki or Copenhagen. I don't recommend taking a ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki tho, because it's full of very drunk people who have been to Estonia to get cheaper booze. Do it the other way around when everyone is still sober😆

And in case anyone is wondering, yes it was me who started off asking for solo travel tips - even tho I've travelled a lot, and actually done the travel part alone a lot, I've never spent more than one night alone anywhere so that's why this thread has proven so useful.
Thank you so much for this. Ill look into it!

futbolista

VIP Member
Thank you

I've lost my job and they are paying out my notice period (3 months). I'm thinking if taking a break and doing some travelling. I've always wanted to go to NZ but never travelled by myself before. Thought I could go for three or four weeks any maybe add in the stopovers if I can get a couple of different places. Maybe Singapore and somewhere else.
I’m in North America so my flight was from LA to Auckland and a layover in Fiji. I should have done a proper stop in Fiji as now I wish I went. My other friend found a flight to either Oz or NZ and went to Cook Islands. Singapore is a good stop for like 24-48 hours. Amazing street food.

I chose NZ as my first country and Oz as my second bc they are English speaking countries so I could ease myself into solo travel.

Colin

I keep changing my mind on where I want to go! Top now is Bucharest. Just depends if I can get a direct flight. I’m thinking July maybe June next year. As I’ve read June is the second wettest month of the year. My plan would be 7 days therme spa, brown bear spotting and Dracula castle and then relaxing at the pool for the rest of the time. Has anyone been solo?
Just seen this. I live part of the year in Bucharest (it's complicated...) June is usually hot but not unbearable, could be some rain (think like intense but short-lived summer storms). Therme is great! Be careful about bears, they're actually dangerous but the sanctuary is great. Bran castle is a tourist trap but I have a soft spot for it, you should also go to Sinaia and Brașov while in that area. The city is incredibly safe and welcoming.
---
I'm not black but I've heard of lotd kf travellers (especially women) experiencing racism. I would saw (from what I've heard) Eastern Europe isn't the best place
You'd be fine in Bucharest, it's a diverse capital city, people might ask you why you are in the country but they do that to everyone. Outside the city I think you'd be unlucky to counter unfriendliness but you might get stared at!

emm

VIP Member
I did a years worth of time in Asia alone. Philippines Thailand Cambodia Vietnam Malaysia indo (mostly Bali) Hong Kong (not alone have friends ) Japan

I have some tips for sure but am watching football 😂 so ask any questions you may have and will answer later
Thank you (should have guessed that from your name 🤣) will think about kt and then ask!

• Heart

Colin

Hi everyone ☺ I've done solo trips but only in cities in Europe (I've never been outside Europe at all actually!). Just wondering if there are any particular non-European destinations that are safe for female travellers, cheap and not too far away? (I'm in London). I've not done flights longer than four hours and am a slightly anxious flyer. Trying not to let anxiety hold me back from travelling, but it can be difficult at times.
You could try Georgia (kind of in Europe but not what most people think of) very safe and cheap. Absolutely beautiful too!

I had a fun time travelling in Morocco but I don't think I'd do it as a solo female again. Or anywhere else North Africa.

I've not been but I think Sri Lanka is quite a good way of getting some south Asian experience without having to go to India.

I loved Thailand (lived there) but it is far

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
Jet2holidays has some discounts for solo travellers. hotUKdeals website is showing some but I’m sure there are more on their own website. Looks like you need discount code SOLO30
Thank you! Going to have a look later 😅 I decided I’ll get a dog earliest jan 2025 so I’ll go on a solo holiday next year. I do have a hotel booked in cappadocia and that’s top of my bucket list but the flights are putting me off🤔

Upintheair83

VIP Member
I solo traveled a few euro countries in the winter years ago. I quite enjoyed it although it’s def freezing up north ha. I haven’t been to Portugal so can’t share specific tips for there but have a lot of solo experience. Anything you’re wondering about?

I always do a lot of pre planning. Reading reviews. Mapping things out and checking google street views. Checking routes for walking. I always try to arrive in the day as much as possible so that it’s day light and safer. Otherwise I’ll take a taxi straight to hotel if not.

I don’t know anyone specific but I always do a google of solo female travelers who share tips for certain places either on YouTube or tiktok now.

Where are you headed to in the USA? I live in Los Angeles. I hate the gun violence in this country (I’m not American) and it’s a nightmare in general but on a daily, I don’t feel threatened. So don’t worry too much but of course keep your wits about you and be prepared for anything like any trip.

I have traveled quite a bit around the country including road trips - So feel free to let me know where and hopefully can share tips.

I did a long term solo trip 12 years ago and I’m still friends with a handful and I meet one girl I met in Bali every few years when she comes to California. We have met up 4 times now. Solo travel is not lonely, the opposite imo if you want to meet people.
Thanks so much! If I was travelling alone I wouldn't be so anxious, but because iv got mu little boy and partner I'm so anxious. Iv been watching those videos about what to do in an active shooter situation, purely because we don't have that sort of training here as it's not needed. And I think its made me worse!! But I like to be prepared. So we start off in seattle, head to oregon coast, then through idaho, to wyoming, to utah and end up in Las Vegas. So quite a few stops!

And also I love what you said about solo travel not being lonely, but the opposite. That's exactly what my experience has always been.
I don't regret any solo trip I did, in fact I think it made me more confident. Xx

• Heart

Mooordgirl

VIP Member
I'd recommend keeping your eyes closed. I got the bus in Miami, looked at the Guy across from me and thought 'do not look down' of course I looked down and sure enough his cock was out and he was masturbating while watching me.
Same thing happened me in San Diego!

• Sad

emm

VIP Member
Does anyone know if it's possible to travel to the countryside abroad without being able to drive? I've seen some gorgeous Tuscan farmhouses on Airbnb that aren't too expensive and I'd absolutely love to stay in one one day but they all say you need a car to get there.
I don't drive so hiring one is not an option. Would a taxi or a private transfer be possible or is it too far out? And would it be crazily expensive? Should I give up on my Tuscan dream? 😅 TIA
I would say it is very difficult. In tourist season (july/august) maybe but you definitely need.to.organise it before you go there. Some Airbnb places have drivers they can advise you of but then you do need to think you might be in the middle of nowhere for a while without shops etc in walking distance (depends where obviously)

Zulkraa

VIP Member
I live in the USA and it can be quite tough in many American cities bc of taxi unions causing issue. For many years in LA they stopped ride share companies like Uber from coming close to the airport and there is no convenient public transport. Nyc is easy bc there’s a subway or train from the diff airports. Seems overwhelming at first but it’s easy.

places like Bangkok or Hong kong have trains going into city Center from airport for cheap and then take a cheap taxi to accommodations- in bkk always confirm the meter is on.
I love getting the bus in America it’s very eye opening 🤣

Sprezza

VIP Member
Booked 3 nights in Milan - been before but plan to do day trips to Turin and Verona, or maybe Varenna for a swim in Lake Como. And then getting the train to the coast near Portofino and staying for 7 nights there for walking/swimming/sunning. So that's 10 nights in total x
That sounds amazing! I've always thought Portofino and Lake como weren't possible to get to without a car for some reason. I definitely need to explore more of Italy outside the bigger towns when I get more adventurous

GossWhore

VIP Member
Can anyone recommend somewhere for a holiday in October? Ideally I want somewhere warm ish and would like a mix of doing something such as exploring a city and relaxing. Looking to go away for 10 to 14 nights.

I am currently thinking Athens and then going to a couple of Islands such as Paros, Naxos etc. Weather in October from googling is low 20s. Has anyone been to Greece in October?

Other alternative is Lisbon and Algarve and a couple of other spots but as it is on the Atlantic I am thinking it would be riskier weather wise.

I am open to long haul but just looking for ideas.
Can offer long haul suggestions: Morocco, Mexico and Thailand- all good weather in Oct

soymilk

VIP Member
Me too, I'm thinking of a rail trip round Italy now, just making it up as I go along, if I like somewhere I'll stay a few days, if not I'll move on. Probably won't happen this year as I'm job hunting but next year I'll defo plan something either early May or early September
I got around Italy by train and it was so fast and cheap, I booked the tickets at least a month in advance but no train was more than 35€ or longer than 2.5 hours! Italy is a great place to travel alone, it's full of things to do so you'll always be busy 😚

Megansnarkle

VIP Member
Not specifically solo related but has anyone used those vacuum pack things that are supposed to save space when packing? Do they really make a difference? And do the clothes end up getting any more creased than usual?
Depends a bit on what it is. They take out air, so dense clothes like t shirts or skirts won't be affected that much but puffer jackets will. The only issue is that they work best with a vacuum cleaner, which you won't always have at the other end. Some do come with a hand pump, but that's obviously more work and less effective.