Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
If anyone’s nervous about travelling alone but still wants to get away I’d definitely suggest looking at group holidays with people like Intrepid or WeRoad. Takes away the stress of having to organise everything yourself and also great way to meet new people. I did an Intrepid trip last year as a solo traveller and it was a fantastic experience. Was a bit wary about sharing a room with a stranger but glad I did as it gave us both someone to connect with straight away. I’m just gutted I didn’t do it sooner but have a list of places I will be ticking off my to visit list as soon as I work out how I’m going to pay for it all!
I agree I did some with introtravel although with a friend but there was many solo travellers on our tours. I’d do them alone and I’d definitely recommend them as a company. I also did a solo one with traveltalktours which was good but I do with introtravel were the better company. I never shared a room on the solo one I went as it was just after covid so wanted to try and avoid getting covid (still caught it though).
For the intro ones with a friend we shared a room in one place with 2 girls and another with one girl. It was fine as tbh we were barley in the room.

I went to New York with JustYou and it was amazing - I ended up going to Venice with a lady I met on that trip too as we both wanted to go and didn't fancy it alone so that worked well. I've gone spain for a day (oh yes it was brilliant) to dip my toe and like you I'd be fine in the day but what to do at night? I need to brave it and try Majorca or somewhere I know for a few nights first I think

To add - if you ever decide on Venice, it's a 2-3 night tops place. I did 5 and I was SO BORED I couldn't wait to come home 🤣 it's beautiful but very small
Second this I call it a beautiful nightmare - so busy and once you see it for a few hours you’ve ticked it off

Sprezza

VIP Member
Does anyone know if it's possible to travel to the countryside abroad without being able to drive? I've seen some gorgeous Tuscan farmhouses on Airbnb that aren't too expensive and I'd absolutely love to stay in one one day but they all say you need a car to get there.
I don't drive so hiring one is not an option. Would a taxi or a private transfer be possible or is it too far out? And would it be crazily expensive? Should I give up on my Tuscan dream? 😅 TIA

emm

VIP Member
Thailand was cheap for me, mainly because I got dysentery and ate nothing, bought nothing but powerade for 5 days, was bed bound xx
Did you get this from drinking tap water or something? What a nightmare when you are on holiday so far from home 😔

When you learn to ski you are in a group so I wouldn't worry too much about actually travelling in a group. I took my then 3 year old Son for my 1st ski trip, just him and I so in effect a beginners ski holiday on my own and it was fine.
I have been to this resort Bad Hofgastein in Austria | Ski Resort Bad Gastein (skigastein.com) and it is a great resort for a beginner IMO.
This hotel is lovely Bad Hofgastein Hotel | 4* Österreichischer Hof (oehof.at)
I personally wouldn't recommend learning in France plus the resorts tend to be built around the skiing so there is nothing to do in the evening on your own whereas in other Countries the ski resorts tended to evolve around a town so there are more facilities.
Andorra is a cheaper option and also a good place to learn
Thank you, this is super helpful

Sprezza

VIP Member
Not specifically solo related but has anyone used those vacuum pack things that are supposed to save space when packing? Do they really make a difference? And do the clothes end up getting any more creased than usual?

I’d like to go skiing/snowboarding as a total beginner. Can anybody recommend any group travel for this? I don’t mind travelling by myself (obvs, I’m in this group!) but I think something like this would be easier in a group setting

SaintLeo

VIP Member
Really glad I stumbled across this thread! In a similar position to lots of you - single with mostly married friends - so solo hols is something I’ve been looking into recently. I been lucky enough to work in Dubai a bit so have tagged a few solo days onto the end of work trips but never done a solo trip that was just for a holiday. Currently looking at a few European city breaks, Rome is top of the list.

A few years ago my cousin did a trip with Contiki and had a great time, made lots of friends from it. Unfortunately they’re for 18-35s and I’m no longer in that age bracket! Does anyone know of similar companies who cater for 40-somethings? I’d really love to do a safari but would imagine that’s pretty impossible to sort out without going through a tour operator? Will check out Just You that’s been mentioned but would love to know any others people have used.

Notworthy

VIP Member
Thank you! I’m keeping an eye out for flights. But tempted to book an all inclusive in Greece or somewhere instead and just do nothing much for 10days 😄
Is food expensive in Bucharest? Or similar to the UK
How about a mix, do a few days in a city and then a break slobbing on the beach. Also I'm pretty sure you can book Club Med for a few days if you want all inclusive
ETA Just checked and you can although it's very pricey for 1. I did a few days at the Club Med in Florida to split Disney World and it was lovely.

littlepup

VIP Member
Any advice on solo travel and recommendations for places over the Christmas period? Thinking of flying somewhere on the 27th ish but not sure where. I hate Christmas and I want to get away this year.
Just be careful that you don’t end up having to pay some kind of expensive New Years Eve supplement at your hotel if you do a pacakage type thing.
The Canaries and Egypt are warm. Middle East and S.E Asia too.

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
How about a mix, do a few days in a city and then a break slobbing on the beach. Also I'm pretty sure you can book Club Med for a few days if you want all inclusive
ETA Just checked and you can although it's very pricey for 1. I did a few days at the Club Med in Florida to split Disney World and it was lovely.
My plan was to get a hotel in Bucharest with a pool so I could do some days of nothing there. But it’s more expensive to do that than to do all inclusive for longer 🤔
Also I can pay monthly on the website for the all inclusive. Unless anyone knows a hotel booking site I could use that allows monthly payments. As I have the money each month but I just spend it if I have it in my bank 😄

I was 35 at the time. I'm 39 now and I will be doing my first Solo group travel although it is for New Year's Eve. I'm sick of friends letting me down. All my friends have boufriends, husbands, children, pets or parents to look after. I want to dress like like Princess at a ball and so I go with strangers to celebrate this year. I may even be the youngest but I don't care! I will not have a life of regrets. Good luck to you.
PS- Nap during the day and don't drink until a bit later. Stay away from wine as it's a sedative (makes you sleepy)!
Yesssss I hear ya, I've got that exact problem with my friends I used to go on holidays with. And my work colleague who would be a perfect holiday buddy isn't allowed to be on annual leave at the same time as me as we do the same role in the same team, so I can't go with her either. It's so crap!