Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Honestly, I just want to say thanks to the mithering ninnies who have recreated these recipes at a personal financial cost, and time cost too.
The write-ups are the funniest things I’ve read in ages and it’s done wonders for my mental health in what is normally a really difficult time of year for me.
You’re angels, the lot of you xx

• Heart
Reactions: 86
It's time.

Ninnies, it's time for me to tackle the enticingly-named "Tinestrone."

View attachment 1708744

Because I'm following the recipe to the letter, I duly tip the chopped onion and garlic into a cold pan and drizzle over the oil. This feels as unnatural to me as wearing socks on my hands and pants on my head, but who am I to question the wisdom of a 7x cookbook author who's cooked for MARY PORTAS, for duck's sake?

View attachment 1708745

I didn't mention that I had to add the carrots at the same time as the onion and garlic, but that's what the recipe said, so that's what I did. Jack tells me to stir over a medium heat for around five minutes "to start to soften the veg." The veg that's tinned? And therefore already soft? OK then.

View attachment 1708747

In go the tomatoes, stock and dried mixed herbs. I'm sure half a teaspoon of herbage will impart the rich depth of flavour Jack's recipes are so renowned for. I crank up the heat until everything's bubbling, then reduce to a simmer. At this stage I'm still unsure how this is going to turn out, but the appearance of the pan contents doesn't inspire much optimism.

View attachment 1708748

Now comes the most essential step in any slop recipe - The Rinsing. I'm not sure whether to douse the beans or spaghetti first, so in authentic Jack fashion, I choose the path of least effort and decide to rinse them all together.

View attachment 1708749

What am I doing with my life?

View attachment 1708750

With every dribble of sauce that disappears down the plughole, I fear I'm straying further from God's light. Still, I persist. Into the pan with the beans 'n' hoops, both of which retain the vestiges of a radioactive orange glow despite having been rinsed as thoroughly as Jack's Twitter followers.

View attachment 1708751

I'm now instructed to cook for a further ten minutes, "until the beans have softened and it's looking good." As THE BASTARDING BEANS ARE ALREADY SOFT (this is my aneurysm) and I suspect I could wait until the heat death of the universe without managing to achieve the latter, ten minutes it is.

View attachment 1708752

That'll do.
(I did a minor chaos when trying to take the pic but I think the tide mark adds to the overall effect.)

View attachment 1708753

The best thing I can say about this is that it isn't completely inedible. In fact, with a bit (a lot) of tweaking, a longer cooking time and some more seasoning/flavourings, you'd probably end up with a decent pan of soup. But in its current incarnation it doesn't taste like I'm eating minestrone; it tastes like I'm eating rinsed beans and hoops in a watery, vaguely tomatoey broth. It tastes of nothing. The onions are still crunchy. The herbs might as well not even be part of the recipe, because you sure as hell can't detect them. I can't help but wonder whether not rinsing the sauce from the beans would have given it more flavour. I suppose we'll never know, because the only way I'm ever making this again is in some kind of post-apocalyptic scenario.

You can buy a tin of minestrone at Jack's favourite supermarket for as little as 55p:

View attachment 1708757

In contrast, I spent £2.45 on the beans, hoops, toms and carrots (I already had the oil, garlic, stock cube and mixed herbs in). In the interests of FORENSIC costings, I probably should have bought the basics versions of the tinned ingredients, but I suspect the finished dish would have tasted even worse. Why would anyone choose to make this when the combined cost of the ingredients is more than four times as much, it takes more effort, lacks nutrients, and doesn't taste anywhere near as good as the bought versions?

I'm fortunate enough to have enough disposable income that I can afford to spend a little on experimental recipes. People on low incomes and foodbank users (who make up Jack's target audience, according to her) don't have this luxury. I'm honestly angry on their behalf, because they deserve so much better than this.

Here, you're using four tins to make two portions of a single meal. Why? No doubt Jack's defence would be "What if someone got these in their foodbank parcel and had no idea what to do with them?" To that I'd say this: you'd be better off using the tinned tomatoes, onion, garlic and herbs to make a simple pasta sauce, have the spaghetti hoops on toast, the beans on a jacket potato, and the carrots simply boiled and served with something else. OK, those are basic and not very exciting meal ideas, but at least you'd be using four tins for four different meals, not wasting them by combining them into one slop that frankly isn't worth the time, effort or expense.

Verdict: 2 - Terrible
I don’t know why but I am crying laughing at your strangely artistic aerial photos of rinsed beans and hoops. They should be on Jack’s patreon postcards.

• Haha
Reactions: 44
Inspired by @dickanddom slopalong entry and mention of the work version of delicious microwave Marmite pasta, even though it is Sunday today and my proper slopalong is next weekend, I have decided to do an impromptu test of the work version.

I perform this deed in service of all commuter fraus out there in Tattle-land who, when I report back on how delicious it is, will be inspired for your work luncheons tomorrow.
I’m using the information from her blog. Here’s the recipe, and the instructions for how to do a work version.
View attachment 1708717View attachment 1708719As she doesn’t specify quantities of oil, I’ll just use the same amount as the original butter. Here are my ingredients. They’re FANCY as it is Sunday after all, and I feel like spoiling myself in honour of ex Sunday School teacher Jack.
View attachment 1708746First, I measure out two teaspoons of oil and half a teaspoon of marmite.
View attachment 1708831
Then I weigh out the cheddar cheese (it has strawberries in it because-it’s my Old Harold’s and all I had to hand) and pasta FORENSICALLY converting it to ounces for my American drug dealer scales and taking the container weight into account.
View attachment 1708742
View attachment 1708743

At this point, I decided to be a bit MAVERICK and instead of grating the cheese per the instructions, to chop it into a line using a credit card Dollar Tree gift card. My Jack inspiration is coming thick and fast this morning! (I PAINSTAKINGLY cleansed said card first and again afterwards)
View attachment 1708760View attachment 1708763
I then added the cheese to the oil and marmite and decanted it into a smaller container which I have placed atop the pasta container for photographic purposes. To be clear, even if I had grated the cheese, this would in no way resemble a “paste” as Jack claims.
View attachment 1708764
Now, here is something I have saved to share with you all. As it is very first thing in the morning here and I am going out for a cycle, I am going to FORENSICALLY recreate my work commute by cycling the exact distance of 5.4 miles 🔺. Here it is, going into my bike bag for the journey. (Fear not, I noticed after taking the pic that the lid hadn’t quite sealed so rectified this before my bag was softly, gently marauded by oozy oil and marmite)
View attachment 1708779
I SHAN’T be taking a mug with me because it doesn’t fit the modern workplace should be well equipped for a busy working frau’s mug needs.

I shall now recreate my commute cycling downhill all the way and closing my eyes at all roundabouts*, so I am truly Jack inspired today. Upon my return I shall sit this delicious mixture atop my smol desk (as the beauty of it according to Jack is that it does not need refrigeration, so I SHAN’T put it in my big American Fridge that costs £500 a month to run), place some pens in my breast pocket, and eagerly await the luncheon hour (and potential scalding/burns). I shall report back later.

*not really. We don’t have roundabouts. I will cycle very safely to bring you a delicious mug luncheon fit for a king the very best of working fraus everywhere.
View attachment 1708800
You’re a brave frau trying the workslop version and carrying it in on a bike. Eating it out of a work mug might bring a whole new meaning to hot-desking.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 35
Well, it's not my place to judge dear heart, but might we give some small credit to your using bicarb which is three (3) and a half years out-of-date? A kindred frau if e'er there was.

ETA: this is not snark. My 2017 is performing perfectly. Just not with Jackipes.
It's bicarb, aka sodium hydrogen carbonate. Although it gets given a date it will last forever providing it's kept dry (which those tubs are excellent at). So I too applaud your thrifty nature.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
I forgot about this place. This really is a hellsite. Its where dreams of nice food comes to die. Also HI.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Dearest frauen and herren, I salute your bravery in making these recipes for the slopalong and I have been 🦉🍾 along as I’ve been reading. Thank (space) you for your sacrifice and may the lord (not really cos I’m an atheist lol) have mercy on the souls of your kitchens. 😂😂

• Haha
  • Heart
If someone wants to tackle a restaurant quality dish, they could do the delicious Ivy-esque salad this version of counter sitting Jack served up in a Vice magazine interview in 2019. It’s allegedly from Tin Can Cook.
View attachment 1708864View attachment 1708865
Suprisinging nobody, she's lying. The only time mackerel is mentioned in TCC is in the "cansplaining" section.

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 21
This is why I can’t bring myself to join in. The thought of putting actual effort in to making someone inedible makes me sad.
Me too Nonah. It's a combination of not being brave enough to try something I know will be disgusting, but mainly it's the waste of valuable pounds and pennies on trying this dire tit out.

Tonight I will be raging against Jack by having some unrinsed spaghetti hoops on toast, with some cheese. A small Heinz tin is 79p these days you know Jack.

Rinsing hoops. RINSING hoops. bleeping insaniac.

Ok here is the Pasta e Ceci!

The sauce is so so salty and I didnt add any. Just too much stock I guess?
The chickpeas, praise beans, are not actually soft and squishy, I dont see how they benefitted from almost 1hr of boiling time.
The real criminal here is the rinsed bloody hoops!!!! Theyre pure mush and add NOTHING to the dish - literally they disintegrate as soon as they enter your mouth. Horrible!
Oh and special shoutout to the ingredient, "vinegar". I only had rice wine and malt on hand so went with the former. Anyway I'm off to cook some garlic bread

Eta D'OH ratings...
Ingredients 2
Recipe 2
Visual appeal 3
Texture 1
Taste 2
Pasta e ceci, the real thing:
1 tbsp of oil
1 garlic clove, cooked until golden then removed
1 tin (or two if making more) chickpeas, unrinsed and dropped in the pan, water and all - you could cook your own if you want, up to you
1 sprig fresh rosemary - 1tsp dried if no fresh available
Add 500ml ish of water, bring to the boil
When boiling, add a handful or two (depending how many you are cooking for) of broken spaghetti (little bits!)
Lower the heat, cook until pasta is AL DENTE, you might need to add a bit of boiling water
Remove rosemary, serve with black pepper and a drizzle of oil.
There you go. 20 minutes? 25? And it's vegan, filling and delicious.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Jack Monroe's pina colada bread, phase 1.
We start by checking Mr Beacon's fingernails, upon which I send him for another session with the nailbrush.

20221106_133647.jpg

According to the recipe, the first step is to activate the yeast. Never mind that everyone uses easyblend yeast, which doesn't need it, we follow the recipe to the letter
Screenshot_20221105-170618.png

There follows a brief marital argument where Mr Beacon mislays his posh wanker meat thermometer, and then insists I Google to convert 40C into Fahrenheit because apparently he's now from the 50s.
He adds this suspicously warm water to the yeast and gives it a stir.

Oh dear.

20221106_134116.jpg
next, we must blitz the coconut milk,another 100ml of water and the drained pineapple chunks. I drink the pineapple juice, it is delicious (I suspect it's the only thing about this recipe that is...)
20221106_134315.jpg
half the flour, the suspiciously silent yeast and blended slop are added together. Jack recommends muddying mixing it with a knife but Mr Beacon soon finds it too annoying so we switch to her alternative suggestion of using the handle of a wooden spoon. Kudos to her, it works quite well.
20221106_135248.jpg
In goes the rest of the flour. At this point it is still very wet. Never mind - it's time to knead! Mr Beacon taps out at this point and makes me do it, the coward. We chuck loads of flour on the worktop and basically pour it out.

Oh dear.

IMG-20221106-WA0000.jpg
iit's impossible to knead. Far too wet, and because it's self raising flour it's really hard to get any kind of work going. I ignore Jack's remarkably specific instructions about kneading and just do my best to smear it to and fro.
IMG-20221106-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20221106-WA0004.jpg

After adding the entire rest of the bag of flour, it is solid enough to be called a dough. I squidge it into the bowl, and it's now in the sorting cupboard for a few hours. Which is as long as it's going to take me to scrape all the dough off the worktop, my hands etc etc
IMG-20221106-WA0005.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 90
The silent courgette cake is in! Raw it tastes of sadness and despair, there is not enough sugar in it. I always have a taste of whatever cake I'm making raw, the parkin last week was so delicious I scraped the bowl out, this I dipped a little finger in it, tasted it and had to have a drink of water to get rid of the taste.

I'll post pics when it comes out of the oven in 45(!!!) Mins

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 59
I love the idea that all around the country (possibly world) there are ninnies spending their Sundays like this. For science!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
I always suspected I’d found my people on the JM thread but now I KNOW IT thank (space) you all

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
Pasta e ceci, the real thing:
1 tbsp of oil
1 garlic clove, cooked until golden then removed
1 tin (or two if making more) chickpeas, unrinsed and dropped in the pan, water and all - you could cook your own if you want, up to you
1 sprig fresh rosemary - 1tsp dried if no fresh available
Add 500ml ish of water, bring to the boil
When boiling, add a handful or two (depending how many you are cooking for) of broken spaghetti (little bits!)
Lower the heat, cook until pasta is AL DENTE, you might need to add a bit of boiling water
Remove rosemary, serve with black pepper and a drizzle of oil.
There you go. 20 minutes? 25? And it's vegan, filling and delicious.
Have bookmarked this. It sounds like a sensible version of one of the weird concoctions my OH used to make when he came home drunk before Deliveroo was invented.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Jack Monroe's pina colada bread, phase 1.
We start by checking Mr Beacon's fingernails, upon which I send him for another session with the nailbrush.

View attachment 1708976
According to the recipe, the first step is to activate the yeast. Never mind that everyone uses easyblend yeast, which doesn't need it, we follow the recipe to the letter
View attachment 1708946
There follows a brief marital argument where Mr Beacon mislays his posh wanker meat thermometer, and then insists I Google to convert 40C into Fahrenheit because apparently he's now from the 50s.
He adds this suspicously warm water to the yeast and gives it a stir.

Oh dear.

View attachment 1708949next, we must blitz the coconut milk,another 100ml of water and the drained pineapple chunks. I drink the pineapple juice, it is delicious (I suspect it's the only thing about this recipe that is...)View attachment 1708951half the flour, the suspiciously silent yeast and blended slop are added together. Jack recommends muddying mixing it with a knife but Mr Beacon soon finds it too annoying so we switch to her alternative suggestion of using the handle of a wooden spoon. Kudos to her, it works quite well.View attachment 1708952In goes the rest of the flour. At this point it is still very wet. Never mind - it's time to knead! Mr Beacon taps out at this point and makes me do it, the coward. We chuck loads of flour on the worktop and basically pour it out.

Oh dear.

View attachment 1708953iit's impossible to knead. Far too wet, and because it's self raising flour it's really hard to get any kind of work going. I ignore Jack's remarkably specific instructions about kneading and just do my best to smear it to and fro.View attachment 1708954View attachment 1708955
After adding the entire rest of the bag of flour, it is solid enough to be called a dough. I squidge it into the bowl, and it's now in the sorting cupboard for a few hours. Which is as long as it's going to take me to scrape all the dough off the worktop, my hands etc etcView attachment 1708956
She never made that either, did she? I knew the dough was going to be too wet...
And if you are new to baking, you'll just assume you did it wrong.😡

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 42
It smells like stuffing. I like stuffing.
It tastes... there's a taste of something, surely? Nope. A hint of something earthy, but not quite perceptible. It tastes of wet slop. It goes down like wet slop. I now need a solid slab of toast to eradicate the memory. With it being bonfire night, should anyone need something to dampen down some flames, I have just the thing.

Score: 1. Dire.

It looks like dog vomit 🤢 Well done for actually managing to taste it without gagging.

All of you brave Frauen und Herren taking on these recipes deserve medals, or perhaps a free stomach pumping?!

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.