Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
FROZEN SLOP ALERT

I have made the peanut butter frozen yoghurt

wp-image-130273178.jpg

Behold my ingredients

20221105_142611603.jpg

There was no way I was wasting 200g of peanut butter on a jackslop, so I've made everything 1/5.

It's a simple slop. You basically bung everything in a bowl, mix it up, and bung it in the freezer. There's grating of chocolate too which is a bleeping hazard. One of my SBs joined in so i had to pretend I was genuinely keen to make it, rather than doing it for tattle clout.

A few slop progress pics

20221105_143249146.jpg
20221105_143756470.jpg
20221105_144020740.jpg

My SB helper and I tasted as we went. It's a very bland concoction and my SB commented that there was too much peanut butter. I bunged in a bit more sugar to try and improve the taste, but even so my SB declined to lick the spoon. Genuinely not making this up.

It's in the freezer now for it's initial freeze. Should be ready in five hours or so and I will update then.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 87
Oh, that's interesting @Shimmering
The peanut butter and milk rice pudding (with normal rice) was also very, very, heavy on the peanut butter.
Maybe her inability to taste it is a hitherto undiagnosed medical condition? One from which she actually suffers?

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Tattlers! Whilst baby mini ninny is gently sleeping, and rain has left us housebound, me and my OH went on a culinary adventure of the Crappucino. Here’s how it went!
View attachment 1706257
we had no whole milk and using SBs oat milk felt wasteful, so semi skimmed it was. I don’t think it would have made a difference. The “recipe” says to add oats, then ice, milk, coffee & sugar - I used a full tablespoon of each - why not just say “put all ingredients in and blend”? This was the blended result:

View attachment 1706260
I did not need to add water to loosen it as the recipe suggested I might.
How did it taste? Dire. A full tablespoon of coffee is too much, it was incredibly bitter even with the tablespoon of sugar, it gave me a headache. It was the texture that really made it awful though, I blended it for the few seconds suggested and then did a few more for good measure, but the oat lumps remained. I don’t know what everyone else looks for in an iced coffee, but I’m not after grainy oat lumps. I think the only possible use for this drink would be as a pre-colonoscopy cleanse? OH said he would give it minus points if he could, we’re having cups of tea now instead.
Total cost: 0p as I had all the ingredients in already and therefore do not have to include the cost in my performative weekly shop.
Marks out of 5: 1/5, better as a drain unblocker or if you want to give yourself a headache for some reason.
Excellent work, tender one.
Jack… no one wants lumps in a drink. I was once given a ‘brain haemorrhage’ in a bar, which I believe was Baileys mixed with cherry liqueur (the Baileys made the cherry liqueur curdle), and I imagine the Crapuccino to have a similar texture.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
@Notmycat could you be a love and pop the recipe for pina colada bread from Tin Can't Cook in here? It's on Mr Beacon's Kindle and I think I need to take executive control if this is going to happen. Thankspaceyou

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Hello all you wonderful Slopalongers, some wonderful* creations going on in this thread.

* this may not be the word I was searching for

I would like to volunteer for the Creamy Crabby Pasta. It involves fish paste so my tastebuds have already packed their bags and LEFT.

Recipe via The Grauniad, not sure how it compares to the book version (Cooking on a Bootstrap).

1667663443749.png

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 45
Owing to a lack of fresh mint in half of the big four, I’m going for Jack’s winter pesto.
Thyme, rosemary and parsley pesto will be coming up tomorrow.
This is going to be terrible. It's going to be like something you use as a medicinal poultice to draw out boils. I just know it. Go well dearheart.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 48
I predict that ice cream is going to be crystallised and gross with just the one stir. I’m boggling at the white chocolate and peanut butter combo. I don’t see what the white chocolate is contributing in that recipe at all, it’s not going to stand up to the nuts or the yogurt. Maybe a darker milk chocolate?

Reactions: 32
Also, can someone put me out of my misery and tell me what 'Worts' is/are? It's a recipe in the soup section of Cooking on a Bootstrap. Thankyou x

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Also, can someone put me out of my misery and tell me what 'Worts' is/are? It's a recipe in the soup section of Cooking on a Bootstrap. Thankyou x
No idea, tender one. But pay particular attention to your ovaries, for I can see the ingredients are:
  • onions
  • chilli flakes
  • chicken stock cubes
  • porridge oats
  • frozen spinach

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 40
Ages ago there was discussion of her tuna pasta and condensed soup. I feel the need to add, as it's my culture, that tuna casserole is not baked all in one with the soup and water. You cook the pasta and then you mix it with the condensed soup and tuna. It's not the most flavourful dish on its own, so I hate to think what diluting the sauce would do to it.

Reactions: 19
No idea, tender one. But pay particular attention to your ovaries, for I can see the ingredients are:
  • onions
  • chilli flakes
  • chicken stock cubes
  • porridge oats
  • frozen spinach
Oooh yes. A combination that will get my peri menopausal ovaries groaning for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Lads, I did it. I made the soda bread.

I already had the ingredients, apologies for the slightly spenny ‘organic’ flour and milk (organic is a word that is not in Jack’s lexicon, I feel).

CD648E48-4FEB-4EBC-8BC3-0458BD9DCCF9.jpeg
My only complaints were that she way overestimated the amount of milk/lemon juice mixture by almost a third, which meant I threw some away. Not thrift approved behaviour. Also, I missed the part where it said you could add salt for more flavour because it was buried in the purple prose that preceded the recipe and frankly, when I’m making food it’s because I’m interested in food not your bleeping life story.

Anyway, the dough came together ok. All going surprisingly well so far.

F6E5099D-8FF1-49FC-9E59-B3535392F114.jpeg

Exactly 40 minutes later, it came out of the oven looking not too bad. I was planning my unbelievably controversial mea culpa, ready to hold my hands up and admit it wasn’t at all bad.
1F7E4EDE-A04E-4D07-BF1F-0F9AA9FF7459.jpeg

BUT THEN…I caught a whiff of lingering honk! The loaf smelled like fish. I bravely ploughed on and cut into it (not easy, it’s pretty solid) and I tasted it. If it weren’t for the weird fishy taste, it would have had all the taste of thin air on sliced cardboard. Diabolical. Clever Fraus, was the honk the result of too much bicarb, on top of SR flour? Not that it really matters, even if the taste was ok it had the consistency of a brick. Thankfully, I gave some to the various animals I have, so it wasn’t entirely wasted but I would be furious if I had to bin it.

For anyone thinking of trying this, please save your time and money. I’ve taken one for the team so you don’t have to. Go well x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 94
Excellent work, tender one.
Jack… no one wants lumps in a drink. I was once given a ‘brain haemorrhage’ in a bar, which I believe was Baileys mixed with cherry liqueur (the Baileys made the cherry liqueur curdle), and I imagine the Crapuccino to have a similar texture.
My ex husband’s mum wasn’t much of a drinker and was gifted a bottle of Baileys one Christmas. She didn’t know how to drink it and so she mixed it with lemonade and it looked like a curdled brain.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 63
Lads, I did it. I made the soda bread.

I already had the ingredients, apologies for the slightly spenny ‘organic’ flour and milk (organic is a word that is not in Jack’s lexicon, I feel).

View attachment 1706815My only complaints were that she way overestimated the amount of milk/lemon juice mixture by almost a third, which meant I threw some away. Not thrift approved behaviour. Also, I missed the part where it said you could add salt for more flavour because it was buried in the purple prose that preceded the recipe and frankly, when I’m making food it’s because I’m interested in food not your bleeping life story.

Anyway, the dough came together ok. All going surprisingly well so far.

View attachment 1706819

Exactly 40 minutes later, it came out of the oven looking not too bad. I was planning my unbelievably controversial mea culpa, ready to hold my hands up and admit it wasn’t at all bad.
View attachment 1706825

BUT THEN…I caught a whiff of lingering honk! The loaf smelled like fish. I bravely ploughed on and cut into it (not easy, it’s pretty solid) and I tasted it. If it weren’t for the weird fishy taste, it would have had all the taste of thin air on sliced cardboard. Diabolical. Clever Fraus, was the honk the result of too much bicarb, on top of SR flour? Not that it really matters, even if the taste was ok it had the consistency of a brick. Thankfully, I gave some to the various animals I have, so it wasn’t entirely wasted but I would be furious if I had to bin it.

For anyone thinking of trying this, please save your time and money. I’ve taken one for the team so you don’t have to. Go well x
Well, it's not my place to judge dear heart, but might we give some small credit to your using bicarb which is three (3) and a half years out-of-date? A kindred frau if e'er there was.

ETA: this is not snark. My 2017 is performing perfectly. Just not with Jackipes.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 74
From the soda bread recipe…

she was too proud of herself to be cross with my cunning linguistic charms.

where to start? Why does she talk about LJC as though she’s 3 years old? And ‘cunning linguistic charms’ to describe ‘can you put some flour in a bowl for me’ is a bit of an overreach, no?
Honestly more than I dislike her cooking, I dislike her writing. Or maybe I hate them equally.
Anyway, excellent work @Day3TShirt. It looks dire.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 53
Well, it's not my place to judge dear heart, but might we give some small credit to your using bicarb which is three (3) and a half years out-of-date? A kindred frau if e'er there was.

ETA: this is not snark. My 2017 is performing perfectly. Just not with Jackipes.
This thread will be what finally kills me I swear. Do not read Tattle whilst inhaling a vape!

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.