Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm just going to get it out of the way upfront. Dire.

I sprung for a fresh clean vessel and decided to jettison quite a bit of the marinade. At this point it was pretty wet and I was already repulsed by the idea of wet hot chicken skin. Into the oven for an hour it is. I put the pineapple rings on before it went in and did a slop-free version for my SG. I diverted from the instructions here and put extra sugar and cinnamon on the pineapple for caramelisation purposes.

I put two thighs in skin side up and two skin side down, as an experiment. My Old Harold takes the skin off anyway but I love a bit of crispy chicken skin.
It smelled quite nice while it was cooking and I went away and did something else for a bit.
I decided to swap cooking dishes at the halfway mark because what looked like bin juice had seeped out everywhere. Grim.
I made a shit ton of coconut rice as a back up plan an accompaniment and some mixed greens. I put green food colouring in some of the rice, as per the Instagram Live, but it came out yellow. Should have been an omen, really.

Why yes, that is a:

#authentic. It came with the house 15 years ago, do you want me to stop breathing?
Dinner may be served, but after a full hour at 190, and an extra 10 minutes at 220, it is not fully cooked. The next image really does need a spoiler.
Review from me: smells like your hands after you've got sweaty from holding coins, doesn't really taste of anything, chicken went in the bin.

Review from OH: I've eaten it but please never make it again.

Review from SG: I know you said my chicken is different but it was cooked in the same oven so can I just have the rice?

I ate her chicken. She has disappeared to her room with a donut.

These are the leftovers, which went back in the oven for an extra 20 mins and now they finally appear to be fully cooked.

I have made the executive decision not to use any of the tips for leftovers from the recipe and dispose of them in the food waste bin. Not sure how the bones would make a spicy stock if the flavour didn't even penetrate through to the meat. If nothing else, it might keep the foxes from trying to get into the bin.

I've also made a donation to just about match the cost of ingredients to an independent local charity which does a bit to help with access to food, and a lot for people struggling with their mental health.
So far so good on the upset tummy front, but I'll let you know if anything changes.

Reactions: 92
Taking the lead from other generous contributors, I’ve made a £10 donation to Liverpool Domestic Abuse Service. And for transparency, in case of doubters (although I’m not Jack and I’m sure the fraus won’t doubt me) I’m leaving here a screenshot from the website and a copy of the (dated) transaction from my bank.

Well done @Hollaaa that looks rank. You done a great job, and once again are demonstrating that Jack’s recipes are inedible.
I’m not fussed that my post was removed, but I also donated £10 to a local domestic abuse charity after my recipe trial today. That was in no way relating the charity to Jack, btw. Instead just something that’s very personal to me, as im sure your donation is to you, too.
At least something good has come out of this.

Reactions: 60
I cannot for the life of me figure out why she cooks chicken thighs skin side down - that's the best bit! Wet cooked chicken skin is slimy and gross, roasted crispy chicken skin is food of the gods

Reactions: 36
Slopalong with Madonna_Claws presents: Tinned Potato Fishcakes
Forgot to add - the recipes says it should make 6 to 8 fishcakes. It made 8, so for once Jack's amount is correct. Not sure how many people they would feed - I'd say two or three fishcakes each as a starter or for lunch, maybe served with a bit of salad.

Also, I *think* this is one of the recipes she served to Mary Portas et al at a 5-starcrestsurant and "they couldn't tell it was all from tins!" <cue gummy snort>. Like bollocks it was...

Reactions: 37
Three hours later, I have even more evidence of the lack of testing that went into this recipe:

That's the excess liquid I poured off from the pan, as I packed up the leftovers. It's about 140 ml of water and 15 ml of oil.

When you consider that I served up about a quarter of what I'd made, that means that pretty much all of the 200 ml of water the instructions told me to add were unnecessary. She's such a fucking fraud.

Reactions: 61
I cannot for the life of me figure out why she cooks chicken thighs skin side down - that's the best bit! Wet cooked chicken skin is slimy and gross, roasted crispy chicken skin is food of the gods
It’s been a while since I dabbled with meat but if you’re browning them in a pan you’d do the skin side first then flip them over. Maybe she’s confused.

Reactions: 22
If only @CarolineWhoHasHands was still here to see these trials of Jack’s recipes. Especially as she was complimentary about most of the ones she tried. Perhaps she could have told us where we’d gone wrong.

Reactions: 47
It’s been a while since I dabbled with meat but if you’re browning them in a pan you’d do the skin side first then flip them over. Maybe she’s confused.
I reckon she did it for the name alone and the idea of how it might taste (or completely fail to cook properly) never crossed her mind.
Edit: you know it's bad when you get a vom react from Geets.

Reactions: 37
I reckon she did it for the name alone and the idea of how it might taste (or completely fail to cook properly) never crossed her mind.
Edit: you know it's bad when you get a vom react from Geets.
Yeah it’s this one isn’t it.

Reactions: 16
I am actually shocked by how bad that pineapple chicken looks.

How is she so fucking shit!?

I’ve not done mine as I forgot I was doing a beef pot roast today and I think my OH would have LEFT if I had served up corned beef chilli instead.

Reactions: 46
Well slung @IcanSpellBéchamel, chapeau!
Tasteless slop with chewy bits sounds like a 3 - Middle class to me, all in favour? The highest scoring recipe so far
[/QUOTE]

3 is reasonable; it was salty and tasteless but edible. However the recipe suggests that leftovers can be reheated another day (and indeed, I intended to make arancini with the leftovers).

However, the leftovers separated into liquid plus dried-out rice in the fridge overnight, so I had to abandon the arancini plan. No amount of stirring could get the mixture to meld together. So if I could knock half a point off, I would.

Being able to use up leftovers is vital on a budget - many years ago when I was married to my ex we had a really tight food budget and using leftovers as the base of another meal was the only thing that kept us & the kids from hunger some weeks.

I briefly toyed with making a thick cheese sauce, adding the rice, and frying balls of the mixture as a sort of mash-up of arancini and mac’n’cheese balls but my Old Harold who hasn’t LEFT) began to look as murderous as only a Frenchman confronted with bad food can. So as I said, it went into the compost bin.

Like others, I’ll make a donation to a local food bank.
Jack’s recipes and her performative £20 shops do so much damage to people. She’s a cunt.

Reactions: 38
Bloody hell. That has made me feel a bit queasy tbh. If there’s an end of Slopalong awards ceremony, I nominate you for Most Fearless Slopper.

Reactions: 27
Bloody hell. That has made me feel a bit queasy tbh. If there’s an end of Slopalong awards ceremony, I nominate you for Most Fearless Slopper.
Honestly it's fine, I'm heading home to Salford this week for a few pints of Joey's factory reset and I'll be right as rain after that.

Reactions: 21
This has made me feel sick. I made a lovely roast chicken today. How many people have wasted food with this bullshit? It needs to stop!!

Reactions: 26
I bought a poppy yesterday; I nearly added it as an extra garnish but the Royal British Legion deserve better.
Well done, that looks dire! I’m a decent cook but tend to stick to things I know, and I don’t often eat chicken thighs, but won’t they have quite a different cooking time if they’ve got bones in? It’s not good enough for her just to say “ovens vary, check it’s cooked”. It’s irresponsible.

Reactions: 24
It was so wet it never had a chance to roast, and it never steamed to the point of fully cooked. It was an effect more like slow cooking. The plain roast chicken (splash of oil, salt, pepper) was on a lower shelf in the oven and cooked to perfection after an hour and 10 but it really shocked me that I could have roasted a small chicken in 1.5 hours, 1hr 45, but a chicken thigh was going to take just as long. Mine is an electric oven, so mistakes like this aren't cheap or without financial consequences.

Reactions: 29
Mummy I can smell cat food upstairs
for thread title!

Reactions: 46
And at last we eat it!

So. It is basically a cross between a soft bread and a hard cake. The texture is weirdly spongy and crumbly, with a thicker layer around the bottom and sides (probably due to being too wet). Slight pineapple fragrance.

First reaction on tasting is that it's really bland, because no salt. Claggy mouthfeel due to the texture. There's a hint of pineapple but no coconut at all. It's really bland and spongy for bread, but not really sweet or crumby enough to be cake. Slight hints at being a soft yeasted cake like a kugelhopf, but not sweet enough, even with the pineapple.
Improved by the addition of a thick layer of salted Lurpak Spreadable, but because it is so crumbly and soft it falls apart while spreading.
Mr Beacon quite likes it, saying "The result is better than it had any right to be. It's not bread, but I like the texture"

overall ratings;
Ingredients: 2. Coconut milk was expensive, the whole lot cost about £5
Recipe: 1. Shit. Proportions are all off with far too much liquid, very sloppy dough that's impossible to handle, no salt, why use Sr flour AND yeast?, very precise instructions about kneading (pointless because it was basically wallpaper paste) but nothing about what to do with the second rise in terms of covering it, needed to use the whole bag of flour just to get it solid (extra 250g),
Visual appeal: 3. Looks like a bready cake. Or cakey bread. Smells nice.
Texture: 2. Just quite weird - spongey AND crumbly at the same time. Not firm enough to be sliced and toasted.
Taste: 2. Incredibly bland, barely-there pineapple, no coconut. Paul and Prue would Not Approve.

Would benefit from:
-salt, dear God PUT SALT IN YOUR FOOD WOMAN
-picking either soda bread method OR yeast cake (probably soda bread I reckon, would be a fraction of the time)
-addition of some kind of solid element like dried pineapple. Or perhaps if you went the yeasted cake route then rum-soaked raisins would be nice, top it with a rum drizzle and dessicated coconut. That would be yummy.

Not sure what to do with the rest. Bread and butter pudding probably.

Last edited:
Reactions: 70
I really like this idea, and would be happy to contribute. As an overseas frau I obviously don't know the food bank network in the UK or what would generally be low-cost ingredients there, but I completely agree that an anti-Jack cookbook that genuinely helped vulnerable people would be a good thing.

I also really really hope that if anyone here has contacts in the UK media, or can find the "contact me" form or email for a media outlet - please alert them to this thread. This isn't just one person having one Jack recipe go wrong - every single slopalong here has been a disaster. How many poor folks have wasted money on this crap, believing her shtick about thrifty eating. She needs to be exposed for the charlatan she is.

Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.