Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
chestnuts, stuffing and tofu made into sausages can't be too bad

360g cooked chestnuts, £4.80 (£2.40/180g, Merchant Gourmet at Tesco)
250g silken tofu, £1.22 (£1.70/349g, Yutaka at Tesco)
1 large onion, red or white, 6p (50p/1kg, Redmere Farms at Tesco)
120g sage and onion stuffing mix, 28p (40p/170g, Tesco)
120g mild vegan cheese, £1.20 (£2/200g, Tesco)
1 tbsp soy sauce, 7p (65p/150ml, Tesco)
Plenty of black pepper, <1p (£1.80/100g, Tesco)

At 2022 prices it'll cost a bomb!
That sounds suspiciously like the recipe she mentions at the start of this "vegan dog" atrocity:

Screenshot_2022-11-03-09-26-06-46_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

And THOSE sausages are great. Anyway, here is the recipe for THESE sausages...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37

Yel

And THOSE sausages are great
"An oral sensation." apparently!

Odd that her chestnut tofu sausages were released after this recipe for the vegan book, she's gone full circle in adapting a recipe to then going back to the original but swapping the cheese for vegan cheese :LOL: such a maverick.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
Okay can someone put me down for Lingreenie? I can’t update the spreadsheet off my phone and I SHANT dig out my laptop charger. My hobs broken so I can even do the pasta on a camping stove for extra ~authenticity~, although I won’t relocate to the shed.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
"An oral sensation." apparently!

Odd that her chestnut tofu sausages were released after this recipe for the vegan book, she's gone full circle in adapting a recipe to then going back to the original but swapping the cheese for vegan cheese :LOL: such a maverick.
The original was in her A Year in 120 Recipes book. Did she just completely copy Dennis Cotter's recipe and publish that??

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
If I can be arsed/work out how not to 🔺 myself I might film myself doing mine. It would be nice to share the horror with you all.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
If I can be arsed/work out how not to 🔺 myself I might film myself doing mine. It would be nice to share the horror with you all.
You could always cartoon-ify it for safety reasons. In homage to Jack.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 53
I feel like someone said they made those sausages and they were expensive and fell apart

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Blurst filmed her (not Jack’s!) beans recipe and we only saw her hand(s).
Some of us have already seen your besocked feet, you could cook with them?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
Buy a Jack mask like @kachoochoo has and wear it while cooking.

No, seriously, do it. I've been sleeping too well lately, I could do with some insomnia fuel.

@Ellabella IIRC you are an actual cheffy chef, so I think it's only fair that you should tackle one of Jack's more challenging creations. Any suggestions?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
I think we should try to note the true cost of the recipe vs the per portion cost. It's no good for a budget cook if the portions cost 30p each but the cost of ingredients is £12.

I'm also going to try do it in good faith, as if I was an unsuspecting squig about to try a recipe from my favourite Chronically Online chef. As if I saw the name "pickin balls" and my first thought was "oh, that sounds nice" and not
lisa (2).jpg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 47
This thread is my favourite bit of the internet, maybe the whole world.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
We made the chickpea curry once. Changed a bit and it was ok but we never made again!

• Haha
Reactions: 28
I have to be honest that I haven’t paid much attention to Jack as always felt something was off.
I’ve just thrown up in my mouth reading this recipe intro.

It also feels a little safe.
You know, JM reminds me more and more of Rimmer...😁 Grandiloquent fool.

Do you think her malapropisms are intentional? Some kind of weird “manic goblin nightmare girl posturing”? Or is she just that thick?
She's just that thick.😁

• Haha
Reactions: 21
@sioc has nominated me for the spam /pear/ whatevs atrocity- thought I had edited the chart to add me but it seems to have not saved. Please can someone fix it and give me the recipe link!

• Haha
Reactions: 20
@Ellabella IIRC you are an actual cheffy chef, so I think it's only fair that you should tackle one of Jack's more challenging creations. Any suggestions?
What about one of these?
Southern Fried chicken livers
Bunny bucco

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
Is anyone down for the upside down fish pie yet? If not, slop my name in for that please tender ones!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.