Slopalong #3 She doesn't understand beans

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Firstly, a confession. This recipe is a twist on an Italian classic, pappa al pomodoro, which is essentially a bread-crust and tomato soup, with olive oil, salt and pepper, and sometimes garlic and basil or rosemary — depending on whose recipe you consider to be sacred. This version eschews the traditional, using dried stuffing crumbs to replace the bread and herbs. But Stuffing Crumb and Tomato Puree Soup didn't seem like a particularly appetizing recipe name, so I translated it into Italian as a nod to the original.

MAKES ENOUGH FOR 3 LITTLE MUGS, OR 1 GENEROUS PORTION

1/2 small onion
1 tbsp cooking oil
black pepper, to taste
2 medium-sized tomatoes
1 vegetable stock cube
2 tbsp sage and onion stuffing
300-400ml water
30g or 2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp light-coloured vinegar, white wine or cider are best but distilled malt vinegar will also work
1 tsp sugar or sweetener of choice

First peel and finely slice your onion and set to one side for a moment.

Measure the oil into a heavy-bottomed saucepan, preferably a non- stick one, and warm it for a moment on a medium heat before adding the onion. Season with a little black pepper and cook for 3—4 minutes, until starting to soften.

Quarter your tomatoes and add those too — when feeling meticulous I confess I cut them into eight apiece, but this may be a step too far for some people.

Crumble over the stock cube, add the stuffing and a splash of the waten Stir well, then add the tomato puree and stir again to incorporate it. Slowly add the remaining water and a scant teaspoon each of vinegar and sugar.

Bring to a simmer, then turn down the heat and continue to cook for around 20 minutes, until the stuffing has swollen and the soup is glossy and thick.

Taste it and adjust the seasoning to your liking before serving.

TO KEEP: This will keep in the fridge for 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. You may wish to add a splash more liquid if freezing, as I find some dishes go a bit 'thick' in the freezer, so I tend to loosen them a little before storing. Defrost thoroughly and reheat to piping hot throughout to serve.
As promised earlier I made this for lunch.

1. Ingredients as described...I added a bit of class with some Paxo as it was all the corner shop had in.

Slop1.jpg

2. This is where my concerns first began to grow. I was feeling meticulous (ie. I took an extra 10 seconds) to cut the tomatos into eight instead of quartering them which still seemed to be too big. It seemed obvious that the onions would be much better diced considering the short cooking time, but we're following the recipe so in they went 'finely sliced'.

Slop2.jpg

3. In goes the stock cube, tomato puree, stuffing and a bit of water.

Slop3.jpg

4. I wasn't really sure what the point of 'slowly adding' the rest of the water was, but again we're following the recipe so in slowly it went along with the vinegar and sugar.

Slop4.jpg

5. I let it cook for 20 minutes - but with the occasional stir as it seemed to thicken up very quickly despite me using the full 400ml of water in the recipe.

Slop5.jpg

6. The whole lot served in a mug which isn't especially large

Slop6.jpg

Review

In fairness to Jack this didn't taste as bad as I was expecting. It did however have a couple of major problems.

The first was the flavours. As above it didn't taste as bad as I was fearing, but the issue was that none of the flavours really seemed to come together. You got the tomato flavour, and the onions (see below) but the only real taste of seasoning was when you happened to get a couple of nuggets of the stuffing, because they don't really dissolve or otherwise flavour the whole dish.

The second, and bigger issue, however was the texture. As I said above, my fear when chopping the onion and tomato was that they really should have been diced up so that they would cook properly and this was definitely an issue. The tomato had just about broken down so wasn't terrible, though the skins were still a bit tough. The onions however were still very stringy and had quite a bit of crunch to them, which wasn't very pleasant as part of the overall dish.

The 20 minute cooking time is quite short for something like this anyway, but with Jack for some reason not specifying to finely dice the onion and tomato, the whole dish just didn't taste properly cooked. I managed probably slightly less than half of the mug and I really didn't want any more.

I think the main thing I came away from this thinking was simply 'why?'. I think i'd rather just have a tin of tomato soup with some bread than the effort of making this. It's the addition of the stuffing that is particularly weird for me. Surely most people are more likely to have a bit of stale bread and some dried herbs in the cupboard than a pack of stuffing that you need to open just to use a couple of spoonfuls of?

This gets a "2 - Terrible" largely because the recipe as followed gives you something that doesn't taste like its properly cooked and the stuffing just feels totally unnecessary. Calling for the tomatos to be cut in quarters (or eighths if you're 'feeling meticulous') and slicing rather than dicing the onion just smells of laziness - you save a few seconds of prep but end up with a dish that would probably be much better if you'd just done it properly in the first place.

Now duck off x

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 71
As promised earlier I made this for lunch.

1. Ingredients as described...I added a bit of class with some Paxo as it was all the corner shop had in.

View attachment 1840245

2. This is where my concerns first began to grow. I was feeling meticulous (ie. I took an extra 10 seconds) to cut the tomatos into eight instead of quartering them which still seemed to be too big. It seemed obvious that the onions would be much better diced considering the short cooking time, but we're following the recipe so in they went 'finely sliced'.

View attachment 1840248

3. In goes the stock cube, tomato puree, stuffing and a bit of water.

View attachment 1840255

4. I wasn't really sure what the point of 'slowly adding' the rest of the water was, but again we're following the recipe so in slowly it went along with the vinegar and sugar.

View attachment 1840256

5. I let it cook for 20 minutes - but with the occasional stir as it seemed to thicken up very quickly despite me using the full 400ml of water in the recipe.

View attachment 1840260

6. The whole lot served in a mug which isn't especially large

View attachment 1840265

Review

In fairness to Jack this didn't taste as bad as I was expecting. It did however have a couple of major problems.

The first was the flavours. As above it didn't taste as bad as I was fearing, but the issue was that none of the flavours really seemed to come together. You got the tomato flavour, and the onions (see below) but the only real taste of seasoning was when you happened to get a couple of nuggets of the stuffing, because they don't really dissolve or otherwise flavour the whole dish.

The second, and bigger issue, however was the texture. As I said above, my fear when chopping the onion and tomato was that they really should have been diced up so that they would cook properly and this was definitely an issue. The tomato had just about broken down so wasn't terrible, though the skins were still a bit tough. The onions however were still very stringy and had quite a bit of crunch to them, which wasn't very pleasant as part of the overall dish.

The 20 minute cooking time is quite short for something like this anyway, but with Jack for some reason not specifying to finely dice the onion and tomato, the whole dish just didn't taste properly cooked. I managed probably slightly less than half of the mug and I really didn't want any more.

I think the main thing I came away from this thinking was simply 'why?'. I think i'd rather just have a tin of tomato soup with some bread than the effort of making this. It's the addition of the stuffing that is particularly weird for me. Surely most people are more likely to have a bit of stale bread and some dried herbs in the cupboard than a pack of stuffing that you need to open just to use a couple of spoonfuls of?

This gets a "2 - Terrible" largely because the recipe as followed gives you something that doesn't taste like its properly cooked and the stuffing just feels totally unnecessary. Calling for the tomatos to be cut in quarters (or eighths if you're 'feeling meticulous') and slicing rather than dicing the onion just smells of laziness - you save a few seconds of prep but end up with a dish that would probably be much better if you'd just done it properly in the first place.

Now duck off x
Making this next week. Yours looks like haute cuisine compared to how I expect mine to look. Well done!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
The soup reminded me of the urban myth (maybe true) of people swiping ketchup packets from cafes/service stations to make tomato soup in the few days before payday when money has run out.

Although I can imagine sauce packet soup tastes a lot better than the pointless salty bean paste broth.
She’s deleted the tweets but Jack has told someone on Twitter to go in their local Wetherspoon pub to pinch the tommy sauce sachets.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
I genuinely couldn't believe that was the full recipe, and had to go back and check. You made it better, you added onion and bit of garlic!

1 x 400g tin of cannellini beans
2 chicken stock cubes
1 tbsp lemon juice
plenty of black peppe
r

That's not a soup recipe, that's just heating up beans in very salty water. Your recommended daily allowance of salt is 6g maximum, if this is for two people then that's 1 stock cube each. If we go by a standard Knorr Chicken stock cube that's almost 3.5g of salt per person, in one very small meal.

That's dangerous for children or folk with medical conditions, and exceedingly unhealthy for the rest of us! I'm horrified that (a) she thinks this is a reasonable recipe, and (b) it passed any sort of quality/health checks when going through the publishing process. It's outrageously bad!

Also, the Advertising Standards Authority and Trade Descriptions Act might have something to say about calling this chicken and cannellini bean soup when there's no chicken in it. If you were selling it you'd probably have to name it "Chicken Flavoured Cannellini Bean Soup". :LOL:
Depending on the brand of stock cubes it might even be suitable for vegetarians 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Lads guess what? I’m spring cleaning atm and I just so happen to have
3 carabiners
An s hook
An old muslin cloth
how about we do some hack-a-longs?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
3 carabiners
An s hook
An old muslin cloth
I have a thrifty injury this evening 🙁.

I burned myself on the air fryer we got to save money by not using the oven.

#tunnelfriesthenburns

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
Zettabthats impressive, even I’ve not managed that (and I have special silicone guards on the end of the metal oven bars) seriously considering not having any oven in future.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
*waves from an ex-Stockton resident 😍.

I’m not making anything because I can’t cook and it will be worse having me attempt it. I have given to two very local charities in terms of food and donations (£) but they are 🔺. Can I just tell you the amount to add?

ETA- In fact don’t. She is being so horrific, once I check the GK fully, if it is as bad as we think I will donate to another third charity that is book related. I’ll wait and give you the total in a week. I might have persuaded Mrs T to make something by then.

😶
Tbh, it might be funnier if someone cooks a recipe from someone who can’t write a decent recipe 😂

disclaimer:don’t do this, I just like the idea of it

Reactions: 5
PANGRATTATO AL POMODORO (Ve)
I start by getting out all of the ingredients, which are:

1/2 small onion
1 tbsp cooking oil
black pepper, to taste
2 medium-sized tomatoes
1 vegetable stock cube
2 tbsp sage and onion stuffing
300-400ml water
30g or 2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp light-coloured vinegar, white wine or cider are best but distilled malt vinegar will also work
1 tsp sugar or sweetener of choice

Clearly I am unable to follow a simple instruction and also bring salt (not required) and a tin of tomatoes (not required) from the cupboard.
E7EFDC0A-331B-4471-8B2E-96807F6B6733.jpeg

When planning for this recipe I was going to go to the shed, get the mallet and open the tin using the mallet and knife, however it’s dark and wet outside and the outdoor light isn’t working and I know Mr Laz hasn’t picked up old man pupper Laz’s poo from earlier on so I stay indoors.
658CEE88-144C-41BA-8F30-9ADE6E3A9FDF.jpeg

I finely slice my onion and add it to the warm oil in the pan. Realising my wooden spoon looks fairly normal, I decide to season it slightly by charring it on the big burner, aiming for a more authentic Jack Monroe experience.
C3C6DDEC-3439-45EF-BCAD-3F2FA391FFD8.jpeg

I felt meticulous today so I confess that, like Jack, I cut the tomatoes into 8 pieces each.
DFFD36B3-6EEF-488D-8FBE-05583AA88DF6.jpeg

Then added to the onions which had not yet softened despite following the instructions in the recipe.
A9D7F0FB-84E9-4333-A7FD-4330AC64D8B8.jpeg

I crumbled over my last veg stock cube 😢 knowing it was a waste.
BC1EB94B-F91B-4A4B-ACE7-2F250ED0971C.jpeg

I added the stuffing mix (never bought this before - again, I know it is a waste)
01DA3083-09FD-4CB9-8DB9-95A3867835E7.jpeg

I open my tin of tomatoes before realising these weren’t in the recipe and aren’t included in the final dish. This means I’ll be making a tomato based dinner tonight. My mistake.
1979146A-CDFA-40CD-B3CA-3AC32E959D88.jpeg

I realise too late that I have no tomato purée, therefore I’m throwing good money after bad adding some pesto instead.
8E858165-B2B6-45BD-8A30-1F67021504AC.jpeg

The smoke has now cleared after charring the wooden spoon and it’s time to add the scant teaspoon of both sugar and cider vinegar.
I am in disbelief that such an insignificant amount of vinegar will make a difference to the dish, but we go…
32AB2B40-B03B-470E-B850-49879EFEB9CF.jpeg

FE5E4647-A92D-4096-857D-1F3AAEC849CD.jpeg

by this point I’ve slowly added the water and now leave this to work it’s magic.
it smells vile very Italian 🤌🏻
20 minutes pass, the “soup” is stuck to the bottom of the pan despite me stirring it regularly.
CD2BFC7E-C98F-482B-A0C9-0040A9191810.jpeg

ECF65EF7-198C-4695-885B-BC118132C3CE.jpeg

I decide not to adjust the seasoning to my taste because what is the bleeping point?

instead I prepare 3 little mugs a gü pot, and a normal sized mug and the “soup” is now ready to serve

44CB0310-B43F-4A30-BE9D-2D1676F47D4C.jpeg

73610AC8-7216-4331-A7DF-7E5154BBB37E.jpeg

I can’t wait to ladle this into the little mug but sadly this soup is not built for a ladle, and it just kind of gets stuck

B21D9D19-D950-48F6-9A24-DC2A5ECF6228.jpeg

I go ahead and spoon some into the Gü pot and decide it isn’t worth the bother messing up a mug and giving myself more washing up.
74EDB6A2-A4EE-4237-A7F0-924035F4617A.jpeg

I taste it, it tastes of disappointment and a pointless waste of ingredients.
Old Man Pupper Laz has recently been shouted at for eating waste off the street. I offer him some and he sniffs it before turning his nose away. I won’t keep this for Mr Laz to come home as I know it’ll turn his stomach.
I toss it into the bin, wash up and leave myself wondering what tomato based recipe of Jack’s I might cook for dinner tonight seeing as I’ve just opened a tin by accident.
Score:
Dire. Even the dog won’t eat it. It isn’t soup, it isn’t anything really.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 73
Bravo @Lazarus , it looks both wet AND dry.. and completely unsalvageable. Old man pupper Laz's survival instinct kicked in when he got a whiff of it.

• Haha
3 carabiners
An s hook
An old muslin cloth
Wait, wait.... You are spring cleaning the first week after New Year?!! That's setting the bar a bit high for the rest of us innit?

• Haha
Reactions: 9
The new ebook is online. So if anyone wants the recipes for a slopalong @ me and I will add

Surprisingly her thumbnail looks clean-ish but to be honest I wouldn't be keen to eat anything Jack's mitts touched (whether it was her recipe or not)

My friend is here at the moment, she works in a hospital lab and looked over at my screen and innocently asked me why am I looking at lab samples in dishes.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha
I'm gonna take it easy and attempt the raspberry and lemon curd baked oats at some point, surely it can't be that bad?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Rhubarb and custard pancakes

Breakfast burritos

Raspberry and lemon curd baked oats

Muck muffin - I love eating Muck - it keeps autocorrect to Mick

Courgette and cheese soda bread

The Jack Rueben

It won't let me edit it but thats the ss of the recipes

Breakfast burritos

The Jack Rueben

roasted courgette and red lentil soup

Garlic bread ribollita

Black bean Dahl

Cannellini beurre blanc

Lentil keema

Chilli non carne

Kidney bean and pineapple curry

Chilli roasted chickpeas

Creamy crabby pasta

Salad bag pesto

Pasta e ceci

Crab rarebit

Anchovy savories

Lemon roasted sardines

Cheat N sour chicken

Mince and onions with notions

Sausage and chickpea curry

Chicken ham and mushrooms in a fancy hat

Crumbly almond cookies

Chocolate pear cake

Fruit cocktail cake

Berry bread pudding

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 16

Breakfast burritos

The Jack Rueben

It won't let me edit it but thats the ss of the recipes

Breakfast burritos

The Jack Rueben

roasted courgette and red lentil soup

Garlic bread ribollita

Black bean Dahl

Cannellini beurre blanc

Lentil keema

Chilli non carne

Kidney bean and pineapple curry

Chilli roasted chickpeas

Creamy crabby pasta

Salad bag pesto

Pasta e ceci

Crab rarebit

Anchovy savories

Lemon roasted sardines

Cheat N sour chicken

Mince and onions with notions

Sausage and chickpea curry

Chicken ham and mushrooms in a fancy hat

Crumbly almond cookies

Chocolate pear cake

Fruit cocktail cake

Berry bread pudding
There is so much to say about all of these “recipes” but how can you call something a “breakfast burrito” when it’s just a burrito???

I was expecting maybe scrambled eggs, baked beans and maybe a bit of sausage meat with some ground cumin and coriander. Not just a bleeping burrito.

What’s next? Breakfast fish pie? Breakfast roast beef with all the trimmings? Breakfast moussaka??

• Haha
Reactions: 20