Slopalong #3 She doesn't understand beans

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
(Confession time: I live less than 5 miles from Wishaw, home to the deadliest outbreak of e coli in the modern age. 21 people died in 1996 because a butcher didn't store meat correctly. I have very strong opinions about this sort of thing, and so do most people here who lived through that dreadful event.)
Yup, I remember that, just as my parents remembered the Aberdeen typhoid outbreak in the 1960s, which meant that Aberdonians never crossed the threshold of a William Low store ever again, and a relatively recent survey showed that they were still more aware of hygiene than others elsewhere.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Ninnies, I give you Jack Monroe's Brown Bread Ice Cream!

1668900500727.png

Ingredients acquired from Lidl and my cupboard. The cinnamon is hiding, but it's there.

As you can see, I got started with soaking my bread with milk right away. Mmm squishy.

- Separate egg yolks, beat until fluffy and golden.
- Add sugar > I used caster because it's the first one I saw in the cupboard, as she didn't specify any particular type. More beating.
- Add double cream > whisk until soft peaks
- Squeeze out the milk from the bread and tear into small pieces > ugh squishy
- Add the sultanas and fold both into the mix

1668901328615.png

1668901469066.png

Then into a container and sprinkle the topping of breadcrumbs, cinnamon and sugar on top. I used demerara for the topping, so was going off on my own a little there.

1668901602277.png

My sprinkling was more of a clumping, but that's probably user error :D

I wasn't displeased with the way it was going.

1668903419571.png

So it looked alright.
Consistency good.
And it tasted quite nice - sweet, creamy, bready. Bready?
Yes, definitely tastes of bread, quite strange, but to be expected I suppose.
It is after all brown bread ice cream. Does what it says on the tin.

I think it could have done with maybe sweetening the bread?
Or more cinnamon through the mix rather than just in the topping, she only suggested a few pinches in that.
It was a bit bland and strange, but definitely edible. I ate it.

I'm going to hold off on giving it a final mark until I can find some other suckers volunteers to test it as well.

I'm hoping to try it out on my ex-husband tomorrow :whistle:

I made a donation to Women's Aid.

1668902435903.png

1668902833194.png

It amused me to let them know it was a virtual event leading to the donation, although there wasn't a slopalong option oddly.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 71
Nope, I should have been clearer in the post. The pork has to be heated up to at least 75C to be safe, and it reached that on the hob, it was at 84C for at least 10 minutes.

The reading of 68C was after several hours in the insulated Dressing Gown Cooking Box and upon transferral to a bowl to eat, perfectly safe! It was actually still a bit too warm to eat at that point.
I wonder if it would have stayed a safe temp to eat ( 65c according to most food standards I could see with a quick google ) if you had used a towel and a lidless cardboard box?

Reactions: 10
Has anyone got the recipe for the chocolate and pear cake she made on Lorraine?

• Sick
Reactions: 6

View attachment 1744470

Ingredients acquired from Lidl and my cupboard. The cinnamon is hiding, but it's there.

As you can see, I got started with soaking my bread with milk right away. Mmm squishy.

- Add sugar > I used caster because it's the first one I saw in the cupboard, as she didn't specify any particular type. More beating.

View attachment 1744511

View attachment 1744514

Then into a container and sprinkle the topping of breadcrumbs, cinnamon and sugar on top. I used demerara for the topping, so was going off on my own a little there.

View attachment 1744517

View attachment 1744576

So it looked alright.
Consistency good.

Or more cinnamon through the mix rather than just in the topping, she only suggested a few pinches in that.

I'm going to hold off on giving it a final mark until I can find some other suckers volunteers to test it as well.

View attachment 1744530

View attachment 1744553
It amused me to let them know it was a virtual event leading to the donation, although there wasn't a slopalong option oddly.
Great work, but why would anybody want bread in ice cream? I don’t get it

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Am I missing something, but for example in the case of the brown bread ice cream, surely it’d be better to invest in a Vienetta?

I just don’t get it.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Brown bread ice cream is fairly common in Ireland. The bread is usually caramelised so it adds texture, but that is famously forbidden in the Monroe household.

Also, it uses proper bread, not sliced supermarket pap.

• Haha
Reactions: 33

View attachment 1744470

View attachment 1744511

View attachment 1744514

View attachment 1744517

View attachment 1744576

So it looked alright.
Consistency good.

View attachment 1744530

View attachment 1744553
Virtual event 😭😭😭🤣🤣🤣❤

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Brown bread ice cream is fairly common in Ireland. The bread is usually caramelised so it adds texture, but that is famously forbidden in the Monroe household.
I had it when when I went to Bath to do a Regency themed weekend, apparently it was a really popular dessert back then?. The bread had been toasted/caramelised and the crumb was crunchy. It was good, though we did have whisky soaked raspberries on the side that may be colouring my view of events somewhat... 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 28

That makes more sense.

Just soaking it in milk didn't do much for it in ice cream.

• Sick
Reactions: 18
I forgot to add to the Dressing Gown Sausage Stew post, but I made a donation to a homeless charity in Glasgow. This lot run soup kitchens in the city centre, and have a place that houses around 30 previously homeless people for extended periods of time, teaching them some trade/retail skills and helping them get back on their feet.
1668944437664.png

I also gave £10 worth of food to Glasgow North East foodbank, which had a donation point in the Tesco supermarket I bought the ingredients from.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Has anyone got the recipe for the chocolate and pear cake she made on Lorraine?
This website says it was the Chocolate pear cake from Tin Can Cook:
@Notmycat could you please oblige? I don't have Tin Can Cook or Good Food for Bad Days.
The ingredients are listed here:

There was a version on her website that's been deleted, but can't get the wayback machine to load:
Archive here, says it's from Tin Can Cook:

ETA just found a deleted article titled "#InBriefs: Should You Photocopy My Books?" and it's just a photo of Jack sat there like 🤨

1668954181284.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
Disappointingly I didn't get opportunity to test the Brown Bread Ice Cream on my ex-husband. On the bright side, this was because his visit was fleeting. 😂

I've had some more today and son tried it too. He thought it was "quite nice".

The cat also stuck her face in his bowl afterwards and seemed satisfied with her theft. But then, cats, any food thieved is the best food. (Insert Jack joke here.)

I'm torn between giving it a 4 and a 3. It deserves more points than the Cuban-Inspired Beef stew I did, as although it was alright in taste, I never could face another portion of that, and it went in the bin eventually.

But an "inhale greedily" seems excessive as it's just pleasant. It tastes mostly of cream (or bread).

However, I do feel like I might like to try making other ice cream recipes in future (probably not Jack's) so it's been good that way.

So a 3.75, just to be awkward 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Due to not giving a cooker and as cooking pasta using a camping stove eats gas horrendously, I cook pasta using the pasta/boiling water/cover with a plate method - I think I actually got it from Jack.

It does work, and is particularly handy as you can just leave it unattended and get on with doing other stuff rather than making sure the water doesn't boil over etc.

As ever, however, her timings are off. I find it takes two lots of boiling water to cook the pasta properly, but as long as you're not in a hurry - and I rarely am as pasta is not a favourite thing I eat often - it's fine and a tip I'm grateful for. So thankspaceyou Jack (sorry frauen und herren).

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Ok lads I think I might do a slopalong, didn’t Jack have some spoonie recipes? I think this was how I got suckered in originally. If you can find a chronic fatigue/spoonie recipe that is vegetarian I’ll give it a go

Reactions: 15