Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Please don’t shoot me for asking, but is it important to rinse the rice before cooking it?
Yes it is dear heart, you should swish it with water in a big bowl or similar then pour off the white, give it a few goes until the water is clearer

Reactions: 18
Please don’t shoot me for asking, but is it important to rinse the rice before cooking it?
According to Uncle Roger yes (😁), but I've never personally done it, so I don't have an opinion. I think the idea is to wash some if the starch away.
Maybe we should set an experiment, washed vs unwashed rice to compare.😁
And I would never shoot you, dear ❤.

Yes it is dear heart, you should swish it with water in a big bowl or similar then pour off the white, give it a few goes until the water is clearer
There you go, question answered.😊

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I have never bothered to rinse my rice. 2:1 boiling water to rice in a pan bit of salt, whack the lid on and turn the heat right down. Lovely. St.Delia method, I believe - optional extra is to briefly fry the dry rice in a little oil before adding the water and salt. I used to do this but now cba

Reactions: 12
Rinsing before cooking makes a huge difference with basmati rice. Also, after taking it off the heat, fluff it with a fork and let it sit for about three minutes, to let some of the moisture steam off.

Reactions: 12
Update on Whoa F*ck Dressing
It's been in an airtight container in the fridge for 48 hours, it absolutely STINKS.
The garlic and chilli flakes have a weird congealment around them, that teaspoon is full it just has the substance congealed in the middle there.
Rest assured canal this has been disposed of humanely with extreme prejudice.

20221115_012521.jpg

20221115_012611.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 52
It's been in an airtight container in the fridge for 48 hours, it absolutely STINKS.
The garlic and chilli flakes have a weird congealment around them, that teaspoon is full it just has the substance congealed in the middle there.

View attachment 1731619
View attachment 1731620
Did you bury it?

• Haha
Reactions: 21

View attachment 1731619
View attachment 1731620
I'd call in the local toxic waste disposal unit for that job.....be careful you don't glow in the dark after handling it.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
I’ve been ruminating on Jack’s monstrosity that is the veg peelings cake (wtaf) as it did make me think about all the peelings I throw away.

Yesterday I did roast potatoes and kept the peelings… today, I made these 😋 .

Simply toss them in olive oil (genuinely could use other oils like veg or sunflower) and a pinch of salt and cook in the air fryer at 200° for 5 minutes, shaking the tray a couple of times in between. I grated some Parmesan on them but you could use any hard cheese or leave it off. They honestly were delicious as is.

View attachment 1730972
Hope it’s ok to share here but I have no issues with it being deleted if not x
I LOVE potato skin chips, indeed I have been known when peckish of an evening to peel some potatoes just so I can make some, fridging the peeled spuds in water to be used the next day!

I have made a donation to a local food bank in honour of those giving their time, money and effort into road testing Jack's now undeniably dreadful recipes. Receipt under spoiler.

Screenshot_20221115-054105_kindlephoto-224117130.png

• Heart
Reactions: 29

View attachment 1731619
View attachment 1731620
Biohazard hazmat required

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
@InTheVillage I enjoyed your excellent slopalong! Was wondering if there was a taste of burnt garlic too as all the garlic ended up on top? Whenever I have made dauphinoise the recipe always says to heat the garlic and cream together before adding to get the garlic flavour into the cream. Must have been doing it wrong all this time 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Well, that's my something new learned for today! I never knew about rinsing rice before cooking.
I use the boil in the bag rice which saves a lot of mess and you know when it's cooked - the bag is full 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Turns out our local foodbank is Trussell Trust and I'm not madly keen on them as an organisation, plus they only open on two days a week for 2.5 hours each time in the middle of the day, which doesn't seem terribly useful, so I've donated to a rather more helpful local charity, New Start Highland, instead.

1668515373197.png

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Sleepy Potatoes review. I nearly put this off again, but no, I need to do it for the good of the Slopalong!

I yomped off to Tesco for my big shop, list in hand, though alas, no rucksack, I drove in my BIG car. I got the usual level of ingredient I would notmally buy, i.e. middle-ish, my husband picked the finest potatoes 🙄 I did think though, there wasn't much wiggle room to make it cheaper. Own brand cheese etc would make a difference but not my a massive amount. Happy to be educated on that though, I know I am very lucky to have not experienced true poverty.

Costings below, i havent inluded spices or oil, I think most people would have them in, and they made NO difference to the end product.

View attachment 1731134

There is lots of chopping! Thin slices of potatoes, finely sliced leek and the chopping of garlic. I then assembled what I assumed would be a dainty portion each, only to realise I had so much!! More than I would normally do. I had committed to the size Pyrex (not ceramic dish) and so just kept squishing it down with each layer 🤷🏼‍♀️ then the cheese and finally the cream/milk/garlic concoction. It had to be done slowly so it didn't overflow, and you may notice garlic sitting on the top, as it was in the liquid mix, it never made it further than the top of the dish.

View attachment 1731136View attachment 1731138

For an hour!! Thats a long time to have the oven on. I am roasting a chicken at the same time which will be used with the Sleepy Potatoes and for other meals during the week but its far too much for a side dish on a regular day (or I think so anyway). Also, as the cheese was on the top it browned very quickly with half an hour still to go. I made the decision to put it on a lower shelf than recommended, I cannot justify wasting a good bit of cheese on the top!

View attachment 1731141

I had such high hopes! How could something with these ingredients go wrong. Well, it curdled... it was watery with lumps of cudled milk/cream 🤢 I've never made dophinoise potatoes before and assume this is something similar but really wasn't expecting it. I started to question what I had done wrong before remembering this is the point. The recipes don't work and the person making them blames themselves! I think making a creamy, cheesey bechamel would work much better, but we know Jack doesn't believe in bechamel!!

View attachment 1731144

So high in calories. Which is fine, and much better than being too low, but not what I expect from her. And a lot for it not to work. As a side dish, this is the total for the Sleepy Potatoes but with the rest of my meal, chicken, veg, stuffing etc it was c.900cal (I'm an average size woman 🔺️).

View attachment 1731148

Result: 2.
It tastes OK and is edible but in no way would I serve that to anyone but myself and my OH. As usual, it's all over the place!

I need to go to bed!

The poor, innocent garlic sitting on top filled me with dread, and then my fears were realised. Such potential! So burnt.
Those beautiful ingredients had every right to be made into something divine. And, yet. A great slop, Dear Heart! Chapeau!

I must say I am thoroughly enjoying the Slopalong.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I figured out how to rotate the WFD video
That stuff acts like the yolk of an egg or something :sick:

View media item 3463
ETA I'm changing this from a 1 to a 0 becasue it's utterly bleeping vile and actually dangerous
@Anyfulekno mentioned this before but I looked up how to actually make chilli oil (Jack calls it 'dressing') and this ain't it
Jack uses fresh garlic cloves which you must NEVER do
Chili Oil And Botulism
One of the common questions around infusing oil is if chili oil can lead to botulism. Is chili oil botulism likely or a concern?
The most common way that botulism develops is when fresh garlic is introduced to an anaerobic (no oxygen) and low-acid environment. Submerging garlic (or any fresh ingredient) in oil can potentially lead to the development of botulinum toxin.
For this reason, we recommend only leaving dried ingredients in your chili oil. Never add water or leave other fresh ingredients in the oil.
Another way to help avoid botulism is to simply eat your chili oil relatively quickly. Though properly made chili oil can typically last several months at refrigerator temperatures, try to use it up within 1 month to be safe.

Tips To Avoid Botulism in Chili Oil
Never leave fresh garlic in the oil
Never add water or other fresh ingredients to oil
Always use clean silverware when serving chili oil
Use oil within 1 month
Discard if the container is bulging or releases air when opened

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 46
Thank u for all your kind words on my Sleepy Potatoes. It did have such potential to be a lovely dish!

@gladysthere was no proper burnt garlic taste but I didn't catch the cheese quite in time so the topping was all a little charred. It would have been so lovely.

@Lostcat there is a real aversion to bechemel in her recipes, there must be an origin story 🤣 I just keep repeating 'it could have been lovely'!

@smolscwpuld u look at that. Use something cheaper and make a real, tasty dish 🤷🏼‍♀️ who'd have thought!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Dear lovely keepers of the Slop index, I'd like to downgrade my vegetable peelings loaf to a 0 if I may?
The horribleness and misery of the whole thing still troubles me, particularly having seen the delights that are dear heart's @Slop n slide 's potato beauties.

Hereby regrading overall score to be zero.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
Thank u for all your kind words on my Sleepy Potatoes. It did have such potential to be a lovely dish!

@gladysthere was no proper burnt garlic taste but I didn't catch the cheese quite in time so the topping was all a little charred. It would have been so lovely.

@Lostcat there is a real aversion to bechemel in her recipes, there must be an origin story 🤣 I just keep repeating 'it could have been lovely'!

@smolscwpuld u look at that. Use something cheaper and make a real, tasty dish 🤷🏼‍♀️ who'd have thought!
Made a terrible job of @-ing people!! Meant @GladysMcHaggis and @smolscrubb

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Dear lovely keepers of the Slop index, I'd like to downgrade my vegetable peelings loaf to a 0 if I may?
The horribleness and misery of the whole thing still troubles me, particularly having seen the delights that are dear heart's @Slop n slide 's potato beauties.

Hereby regrading overall score to be zero.
Consider it done tender one

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.