Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Black Forest Traybake

Guten Tag dear Frauen!
I finally got my slop on yesterday, my apologies for the delay - I give Covid 0/10, definitely do not recommend.

Yesterday, I finally felt like donning my trusty DMs (after I'd done some garden work, I did consider if it was really necessary to wash my hands beforehand) and got baking!

98D739A0-AC97-4056-BD42-F192EABD68CD.jpeg

(don't worry dear hearts this is just a cleverly angled photo, my DMs aren't actually touching the work surface!)

I lined my ingredients up:
7540D87F-E940-4A35-9792-7357302488D9.jpeg

and worked out the cost:
200g Butter @ 2.29€ per 250g = 1.83€
200g red jam @ 1.99 € per 370g = 1.08€ (but I already had some homemade stuff in the depths of my cellar, so free (I did make OH taste test beforehand, and he's still alive!)
3 medium eggs @ 2.59€ per 10 eggs = 0.77€
4tbsp Cocoa powder @ 1.59€ per 125g = 0.38€ (but I already had, so free)
1tsp baking powder @ 0.79€ per 160g (here I had to use more as self-raising flour doesn’t exist here, so I’ve costed what I used) = 0.08€
200g self-raising flour @ 1.69€ per 1kg = 0.34€
100g dark chocolate @ 0.79€ per 100g = 0.79€
200g frozen cherries @ 1.79€ per 300g = 1.19€

Total = 7.25€ = 6.34 GBP (according to trusty Google)

Seems a bit expensive for a cake to me, but oh well. Let’s hope it tastes ok!

I used my trusty "rickety 1980s food processor" for the task (yes I know it looks suspiciously like a new-ish kitchen aid, do you want me to stop breathing?!)

I decided to follow the instructions forensically. My first hurdle was with the butter. The recipe doesn't state room temperature...so I decided to just sling it in straight from the fridge. A chaos ensued which included butter being flung around my kitchen - ahh you live and learn!

The resulting mixture didn't look too appetising:
30B97F9D-42AE-4A61-BD8D-F53177979EA5.jpeg

Then I added my eggs...which didn't help matters:

5AFB8FC4-0D61-4093-83F0-432018EE0A67.jpeg

Next the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder...no sifting was mentioned so I skipped this step.
42C76AD7-FB5E-4AFE-9F94-C22C13DEBBFA.jpeg

(yes, that is an Amex platinum card, it's actual metal.)

At this point the mixture looks slightly more appetising:
7ECACC8C-590A-4485-9227-1B35B3D6A507.jpeg

The last step was to add the chocolate (in squares, no mention of size, so I just broke into the pre-made squares...seemed a bit big...but...) and cherries:

E8D77C4D-18A4-44A7-926C-815238FF191A.jpeg

and then into the oven with the slop!
B7FD0297-DD12-47EE-BDD0-176E5684F6EE.jpeg

I set my timer for exactly 50 minutes and then took my masterpiece out.

This is the end result. It doesn't look too bad....
FF3438E4-812D-4601-9F04-1AB40E518A2B.jpeg

F11A5994-BE3E-4AD2-95BC-A3A94488EA97.jpeg

2BF1D466-5CD6-46F5-A067-55EE9D03154C.jpeg

The verdict:
To be fair...it tastes...ok.
Hermann the German's review:
'das ist doch ein Angriff auf die Gesundheit! Was hat das mit Schwarzwälder Kirsch zu tun? Muss ich das alles auf essen?!'
(That is an attack on your health! What has this got to do with black forest? Do I have to eat it all?!)

Ingredients: 3/5. I would normally have everything bar the fruit in my cupboard, 6.34 GBP seems like a lot for a cake. I think I could get 12 small-ish slices out of this, so would be around 53p per slice - if I really was tight for money the cost:nutrition or even cost:taste ratio would definitely not be worth it for me - I'd much rather just do a normal sponge cake? I think I will need some whipped cream to eat the rest of this, so that would up the cost even more!

Recipe: 4/5. The recipe wasn't very helpful - she might as well have just said "sling everything together". But couldn't really go wrong (apart from the butter, and to be fair I did really know that it needed to be at room temperature, I was just being pedantic!) Also 50mins in the oven is a pretty long time for a cake - a sponge cake would be done in 25-30 mins. So again, a bit spenny!

Visual appeal: 4/5. Looks like any other chocolate sponge cake to be fair

Texture: 4/5. Is quite nice and moist with the chocolate bits and the cherries.

Taste: 3/5. This is definitely edible. But I would realistically eat it with some whipped cream which would up the cost even further.

Overall:
3 - Middle class

This is edible, so we won't be throwing this out. My main bone with this is the price - just not realistic on a budget I don't think! You'd be better of buying a frozen black forest gateau, £2.50 from Tesco!

Frauen - I am a bit sad. I promised a good German honest review. But this was not really slop-like. I'd be happy to try something else to get a better review if someone has any suggestions?

Attachments

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 88
I love how Jack causes International Flabbergastery.

Did my donation. Got some passive aggressive lemons in the process.
7D8D21DF-DDF9-40D8-91E1-40CBDC02068E.jpeg
3FBBCEEA-F90D-458F-87F4-14A04F991E4F.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
Black Forest Traybake

Guten Tag dear Frauen!
I finally got my slop on yesterday, my apologies for the delay - I give Covid 0/10, definitely do not recommend.

Yesterday, I finally felt like donning my trusty DMs (after I'd done some garden work, I did consider if it was really necessary to wash my hands beforehand) and got baking!

View attachment 1730515

(don't worry dear hearts this is just a cleverly angled photo, my DMs aren't actually touching the work surface!)

View attachment 1729668
and worked out the cost:
200g red jam @ 1.99 € per 370g = 1.08€ (but I already had some homemade stuff in the depths of my cellar, so free (I did make OH taste test beforehand, and he's still alive!)
1tsp baking powder @ 0.79€ per 160g (here I had to use more as self-raising flour doesn’t exist here, so I’ve costed what I used) = 0.08€

I used my trusty "rickety 1980s food processor" for the task (yes I know it looks suspiciously like a new-ish kitchen aid, do you want me to stop breathing?!)

I decided to follow the instructions forensically. My first hurdle was with the butter. The recipe doesn't state room temperature...so I decided to just sling it in straight from the fridge. A chaos ensued which included butter being flung around my kitchen - ahh you live and learn!

View attachment 1729670

View attachment 1729672
Next the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder...no sifting was mentioned so I skipped this step.
View attachment 1730517

View attachment 1729679
The last step was to add the chocolate (in squares, no mention of size, so I just broke into the pre-made squares...seemed a bit big...but...) and cherries:

View attachment 1729684
View attachment 1729685

View attachment 1729686

View attachment 1730471

View attachment 1730474
The verdict:
'das ist doch ein Angriff auf die Gesundheit! Was hat das mit Schwarzwälder Kirsch zu tun? Muss ich das alles auf essen?!'
(That is an attack on your health! What has this got to do with black forest? Do I have to eat it all?!)

Ingredients: 3/5. I would normally have everything bar the fruit in my cupboard, 6.34 GBP seems like a lot for a cake. I think I could get 12 small-ish slices out of this, so would be around 53p per slice - if I really was tight for money the cost:nutrition or even cost:taste ratio would definitely not be worth it for me - I'd much rather just do a normal sponge cake? I think I will need some whipped cream to eat the rest of this, so that would up the cost even more!

Recipe: 4/5. The recipe wasn't very helpful - she might as well have just said "sling everything together". But couldn't really go wrong (apart from the butter, and to be fair I did really know that it needed to be at room temperature, I was just being pedantic!) Also 50mins in the oven is a pretty long time for a cake - a sponge cake would be done in 25-30 mins. So again, a bit spenny!

Taste: 3/5. This is definitely edible. But I would realistically eat it with some whipped cream which would up the cost even further.

Overall:
3 - Middle class

This is edible, so we won't be throwing this out. My main bone with this is the price - just not realistic on a budget I don't think! You'd be better of buying a frozen black forest gateau, £2.50 from Tesco!

Frauen - I am a bit sad. I promised a good German honest review. But this was not really slop-like. I'd be happy to try something else to get a better review if someone has any suggestions?
Considering how DIRE the other cakes have been, you've got off very lightly. For a start, it's actually cooked inside

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
Sardine Rillettes
A6FD8095-0D55-4D5C-9DBD-A33DBD78CB48.jpeg

I actually bought this book just for this recipe alone because I’m sure she was bigging it up on Twitter ages ago - I can’t find any mention of it now though. But anyway, when I read the rest of the recipes I felt horror so I didn’t trust the book at all and never actually made the rillettes until now.

Ingredients:
AA0711E5-3D9D-403A-891F-ACEF516C82C6.jpeg

Basically it’s all free, of course, because I had all these things in already so I spent 39p on the sardines from Aldi however I noticed the price has gone up in the past 2 weeks to 43p, goodness me. Here ya go, Jacquie Babes, put that in your Visceral Bouncey Inhaler.

I used curly parsley because all parsleys are interchangeable, yes?! Oh and I halved the recipe quantities in case it was horrendous.

I hate fish skin so I scraped as much as I could away and removed the bones. Bit gross but I’m not squeamish:

5C1284D6-8F82-4E07-AB5D-3DD22AC51C7B.jpeg

Chopped the onion and parsley very finely as you can see - the onions I put in lovely lines so you can see how wonderfully finely I chopped them ...wait, what are you inferring?!

61D2CB08-DB26-4B89-9548-492210136FF2.jpeg

I mashed the sardines with a fork as directed

CE4DDEB7-FCCE-493B-A65C-657993AC9207.jpeg

I mixed in the onions and parsley, added the lemon zest and juice, mixed again.

The recipe said to keep the oil from the sardines, so I did.

12657080-89C0-4B56-9780-C95221A0EF6A.jpeg

The recipe states it should form a rough paste.
It didn’t.
It remained dry and fibrous. It did not come together so couldn’t be ‘spread’.
At this point I instinctively added the oil from the tin to bind it, whereupon it looked like a pate. I assumed that she must have wanted the oil added but there’s no mention of adding it in the recipe. All it says is ‘keep the oil’.

Anyway, finished product:

EA4F3B47-4FEA-4DF2-BF4D-6AF2F1F4DF43.jpeg

Yes it looks like Sheba cat food but it was REALLY NICE. And I did gobble it up like a greedy goblin. I almost rushed here to rate it a 5 but a) I cannot ever bring myself to describe anything as an ‘ovary groaner’ and b) irritation set in about the oil...I doubt it should have been added but it needed something to bring it into a paste/pate.

Research online suggests cream cheese or sour cream is added to rillettes so I decided to do it again, sticking to the book’s instructions.

Results below:

CC3B1DB2-4AF4-41F0-971E-3A8B7204B337.jpeg

From bottom left, going clockwise with a bit formed so you can see how it binds and next to it, how a small amount ‘spreads’ .

1 Jack’s recipe, no oil or cream cheese , it is dry and crumbly. Still edible but it’s not spreadable, more ‘pile-able’

2. When I added the oil. It’s more spreadable and tasty, colour is a bit off putting but that’s a minor mither

3. I added a bit of cream cheese to bind. Looks lighter, more appealing (I think, anyway!) and is more of a pate. Spreads nicely, very tasty. I like!

Conclusion: realistically this is a super cheap, healthy, accessible recipe idea and makes a satisfying savoury lunch when eaten with toast/crackers or even crisps. However the recipe is faulty, I don’t believe it’s been tested and it’s certainly not an original idea - might also warrant an S for stolen but if she has stolen it, she’s not stolen it very well 🤣

Really hard to rate it because it is worthy of an ‘inhale greedily’ but because the ‘as written’ recipe is a fail, I unfortunately have to award it a ‘terrible’ ☹

ETA: Local foodbank publishes their shortages so I will very happily donate a few items this week :)

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 69
Right so. Mince and onions with notions, eh?

I apologise in advance. This will nowhere near be as witty as some Frauens work. I’m on my phone and it’s complicated!

View attachment 1729877

Off I went to Morrisons to collect the things I didn’t have.

There were no cheap mince and onions tins, and only one mid range. The recipe called for two so I had to go spenny.
View attachment 1729882
View attachment 1729885
View attachment 1729886
Total cost to buy the ingredients I didn’t have was £5.48
View attachment 1729887

So the slopping began. And Frauen, this really was slopping.

The recipe told me to fling everything in a pan. There was no mention of stirring but stir I did, because I am not a criminal. I did question the logic of adding more onions when onions are already present but who am I to judge?
View attachment 1729893View attachment 1729894
View attachment 1729895
View attachment 1729896

Then we had the slow simmer for 20 minutes. The only thing I can take from this is that something definitely reduced, but it wasn’t the amount of liquid. I could see very little in the way of solids in this pan.

Just looked like gravy tbh. Smelt overpoweringly of red wine.
View attachment 1729898

So, it’s cooked! I’m ready to eat! Let me just prepare some bread… oh wait…

It’s grown a skin. Nice.
View attachment 1729906

I power on and plate up. Here’s the finished product!

View attachment 1729909tit sorry, that’s the dogs food. More visible texture though.

Whoops. HERE is the finished product:

View attachment 1729912
It just resembles watery slop. Same consistency too.

So, taste? Overpoweringly of red wine, with a bitter after taste. I couldn’t manage more than a couple of teaspoonfuls. DIRE.

And it struck me as such a waste. Mince, onions and gravy granules comes to around £5, which is cheaper than this shite, and more substantial. What planet is this woman on? This is literal slop. And why add red wine? It totally drowns out any other potential flavour in the dish. Honestly, grim.

Charity payment incoming. Slop outgoing (to the bin)
Your first pic of pan, I thought you were adding raspberries 😂 send spec o's 🤓

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Sardine Rillettes

I actually bought this book just for this recipe alone because I’m sure she was bigging it up on Twitter ages ago - I can’t find any mention of it now though. But anyway, when I read the rest of the recipes I felt horror so I didn’t trust the book at all and never actually made the rillettes until now.

Ingredients:
View attachment 1730603
Basically it’s all free, of course, because I had all these things in already so I spent 39p on the sardines from Aldi however I noticed the price has gone up in the past 2 weeks to 43p, goodness me. Here ya go, Jacquie Babes, put that in your Visceral Bouncey Inhaler.

I used curly parsley because all parsleys are interchangeable, yes?! Oh and I halved the recipe quantities in case it was horrendous.

I hate fish skin so I scraped as much as I could away and removed the bones. Bit gross but I’m not squeamish:

View attachment 1730613

Chopped the onion and parsley very finely as you can see - the onions I put in lovely lines so you can see how wonderfully finely I chopped them ...wait, what are you inferring?!

View attachment 1730617

I mashed the sardines with a fork as directed

View attachment 1730622

I mixed in the onions and parsley, added the lemon zest and juice, mixed again.

The recipe said to keep the oil from the sardines, so I did.

View attachment 1730623

The recipe states it should form a rough paste.
It didn’t.
It remained dry and fibrous. It did not come together so couldn’t be ‘spread’.
At this point I instinctively added the oil from the tin to bind it, whereupon it looked like a pate. I assumed that she must have wanted the oil added but there’s no mention of adding it in the recipe. All it says is ‘keep the oil’.

Anyway, finished product:

View attachment 1730632

Yes it looks like Sheba cat food but it was REALLY NICE. And I did gobble it up like a greedy goblin. I almost rushed here to rate it a 5 but a) I cannot ever bring myself to describe anything as an ‘ovary groaner’ and b) irritation set in about the oil...I doubt it should have been added but it needed something to bring it into a paste/pate.

Research online suggests cream cheese or sour cream is added to rillettes so I decided to do it again, sticking to the book’s instructions.

Results below:

View attachment 1730647

From bottom left, going clockwise with a bit formed so you can see how it binds and next to it, how a small amount ‘spreads’ .

1 Jack’s recipe, no oil or cream cheese , it is dry and crumbly. Still edible but it’s not spreadable, more ‘pile-able’

2. When I added the oil. It’s more spreadable and tasty, colour is a bit off putting but that’s a minor mither

3. I added a bit of cream cheese to bind. Looks lighter, more appealing (I think, anyway!) and is more of a pate. Spreads nicely, very tasty. I like!

Conclusion: realistically this is a super cheap, healthy, accessible recipe idea and makes a satisfying savoury lunch when eaten with toast/crackers or even crisps. However the recipe is faulty, I don’t believe it’s been tested and it’s certainly not an original idea - might also warrant an S for stolen but if she has stolen it, she’s not stolen it very well 🤣

Really hard to rate it because it is worthy of an ‘inhale greedily’ but because the ‘as written’ recipe is a fail, I unfortunately have to award it a ‘terrible’ ☹

ETA: Local foodbank publishes their shortages so I will very happily donate a few items this week :)
Well slopped O'Houlihan, and tricky one to score that. Looking at the recipe it's obviously missing some form of fat (duck/goose) which is where your oil came in as a substitute, but like you said the recipe is broken. Think a 2 is fair considering that is one of the key points of a rillette, sourced this from wikipedia:
Eventually several preparations for seafood rillettes were developed including an anchovy, tuna, and salmon version. Though the fish is not actually cooked in the fat, it is blended with fat to form the characteristic paste-spread. The soft, smooth texture is a deciding factor in determining a good rillette dish.
Also if you have a £ value for your food bank donation I can add that to the wiki so it's included in the total, thankyou.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Right so. Mince and onions with notions, eh?

I apologise in advance. This will nowhere near be as witty as some Frauens work. I’m on my phone and it’s complicated!

View attachment 1729877

Off I went to Morrisons to collect the things I didn’t have.

There were no cheap mince and onions tins, and only one mid range. The recipe called for two so I had to go spenny.
View attachment 1729882
View attachment 1729885
View attachment 1729886
Total cost to buy the ingredients I didn’t have was £5.48
View attachment 1729887

So the slopping began. And Frauen, this really was slopping.

The recipe told me to fling everything in a pan. There was no mention of stirring but stir I did, because I am not a criminal. I did question the logic of adding more onions when onions are already present but who am I to judge?
View attachment 1729893View attachment 1729894
View attachment 1729895
View attachment 1729896

Then we had the slow simmer for 20 minutes. The only thing I can take from this is that something definitely reduced, but it wasn’t the amount of liquid. I could see very little in the way of solids in this pan.

Just looked like gravy tbh. Smelt overpoweringly of red wine.
View attachment 1729898

So, it’s cooked! I’m ready to eat! Let me just prepare some bread… oh wait…

It’s grown a skin. Nice.
View attachment 1729906

I power on and plate up. Here’s the finished product!

View attachment 1729909tit sorry, that’s the dogs food. More visible texture though.

Whoops. HERE is the finished product:

View attachment 1729912
It just resembles watery slop. Same consistency too.

So, taste? Overpoweringly of red wine, with a bitter after taste. I couldn’t manage more than a couple of teaspoonfuls. DIRE.

And it struck me as such a waste. Mince, onions and gravy granules comes to around £5, which is cheaper than this shite, and more substantial. What planet is this woman on? This is literal slop. And why add red wine? It totally drowns out any other potential flavour in the dish. Honestly, grim.

Charity payment incoming. Slop outgoing (to the bin)
The dog's dinner looking more palatable than yours made me 🦉🍾 . Honestly this is why I SHAN'T join in with the SlopalongaJack , because the dog muck (not you dear frau @Dogmuck ) dinners are an assault on the purses and bellies of genuinely poor people that would like something nice to eat for their tea. She really is, as Lee Anderson said, profiting from the poor and it really shouldn't be allowed as she is a bleeping 🛎🔚 Well done to you all demonstrating this with your great work, and I will be making a donation in your honour to my local food bank this week ❤ big love to all fraus x

• Heart
Reactions: 25
In lieu of my ballsed-up formatting can someone nominate me for another recipe please. No meat, fish or eggs though.
This time I promise to get the formatting right (and not write on myself with a purple felt tip pen either this time)

Once I am done I will look up my local foodbank's most needed list and donate twice the value of what they are asking for.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I’ve been ruminating on Jack’s monstrosity that is the veg peelings cake (wtaf) as it did make me think about all the peelings I throw away.

Yesterday I did roast potatoes and kept the peelings… today, I made these 😋 .

Simply toss them in olive oil (genuinely could use other oils like veg or sunflower) and a pinch of salt and cook in the air fryer at 200° for 5 minutes, shaking the tray a couple of times in between. I grated some Parmesan on them but you could use any hard cheese or leave it off. They honestly were delicious as is.

22019A43-B6E0-469A-AFB8-68E29381A7C6.jpeg

Hope it’s ok to share here but I have no issues with it being deleted if not x

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 56
Since when has Jack had a “coarse Essex accent”, as she says in the preamble to the sardine recipe? She’s always sounded quite posh to me.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 25
I
I’ve been ruminating on Jack’s monstrosity that is the veg peelings cake (wtaf) as it did make me think about all the peelings I throw away.

Yesterday I did roast potatoes and kept the peelings… today, I made these 😋 .

Simply toss them in olive oil (genuinely could use other oils like veg or sunflower) and a pinch of salt and cook in the air fryer at 200° for 5 minutes, shaking the tray a couple of times in between. I grated some Parmesan on them but you could use any hard cheese or leave it off. They honestly were delicious as is.

View attachment 1730972
Hope it’s ok to share here but I have no issues with it being deleted if not x
why i cry?
seen this post
on first day of die(t)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Why cook rice for 20 minutes? Twice the amount of water (ie: 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice) in a bowl, 10 minutes full whack in the microwave and you're done.
The ingredients make no sense in either recipe, and there is *no* way she made either type of patty - just look at the perfect shape if them...
Dear Housey of Carbs, I have never been able to cook rice. Either all gooey and gammy or hard little shards like tiny rice bullets. I like rice, but cook it via a microwave pack or 2 these days. As then we can actually eat the bloody rice with the dinner xx

Reactions: 18
Black Forest Traybake

Guten Tag dear Frauen!

View attachment 1730515

View attachment 1729668
and worked out the cost:

View attachment 1729670

View attachment 1729672
View attachment 1730517

View attachment 1729679

View attachment 1729684
View attachment 1729685

View attachment 1729686

View attachment 1730471

View attachment 1730474
The verdict:

Overall:
3 - Middle class

Loved the review dear heart. And Hermann the German sounds like a lege. Get him on here!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I've got a delay on my slop as trying to not triangulate myself as I am actually in the food industry so need to be extra careful like!

I've sent a nice round £20 to my local foodbank so @That Forensic Man we can now tot the total up to £500 which is INCREDIBLE well done all.

I've also been reading up on who they need for volunteering and I have emailed to offer my services - been really inspired by all of your giving so thanks ninnies, some good is coming out of this slopathon xx

ETA have my donation receipt and can send a screenshot if required but don't want to post as it's going to narrow my location I think?

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.