Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
JCMP please tender one x
I found a couple of fascinating recipes on that website from Veganish
"I want filth and goo, but you may think otherwise"
Indeed

From the Big Jack "The proper ‘special sauce’ has onion powder and garlic powder in, but they’re not ingredients I tend to keep in the house, so I left them out." I thought she has a million different spices and whatnot?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
They called it a slopathon! Chapeau, mama’s!

Who dis, in a dress with baps on display?!
oh that’s right, it’s “Have you seen my tits? I’ve got tits you know! Monroe”. Again.
I especially hate the way she puts disclaimers on everything (excuses. I mean excuses.) "I couldn't wear my waistcott, ma-am, it had ketchup on so I's had to wear this expensive ballgown-thing"

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 21
From the Big Jack "The proper ‘special sauce’ has onion powder and garlic powder in, but they’re not ingredients I tend to keep in the house, so I left them out." I thought she has a million different spices and whatnot?
Surprise, surprise, she's LYING

1668423086354.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
I've been lurking on this page for a while but have now registered- please excuse any really bad mistakes I make.

I'd like to nominate myself for this delight if that's OK. I like lentils, I like oranges so this sounds like the sort of thing I would enjoy. I also need to drag my arse to Tesco this morning as well. I'm not using coriander though because that stuff's just pure poison.
I

@heastlanda recipe from the books

Recipes from Vegan-ish

The Big Jack & Breakfast Muckmuffin

Sleazecake and Ice cream cake from Good Food for Bad Days

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I

@heastlanda recipe from the books

Recipes from Vegan-ish

The Big Jack & Breakfast Muckmuffin

Sleazecake and Ice cream cake from Good Food for Bad Days
@heastlanda It looks like the red lentil and mandarin curry is the same ingredients and recipe between website and book but she removed this blurb for the book that explains it's a variation on the peach and chickpea curry from A Girl Called Jack, instead just says "I threw this together".
Also it goes from "serves 4 generously" to just "serves 4"
I riffed on one of my most popular recipes, the peach and chickpea curry from A Girl Called Jack. Lentils in place of chickpeas, mandarins for the peaches, ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric, pepper and tinned toms. (The paratha-looking-thing is my gramcake recipe, I bought the gram flour cheap to take home and it never made it as travelling 40 miles with a bag of flour is ill-advised.) Here’s to the next 10 months – what are my odds of sneaking in the bullet blender I bought her for Christmas but didn’t have the cahunas to hand over?
I looked and this and was like where's the mince beef? Ohhh...... 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
Could you repost this at intervals during the thread, dearheart? I enjoyed it very much.
Choppy egg ain't even her idea. Probably why it's edible tbh.

My mum made it for me as a kid. I make it for my own. It's nothing revolutionary.

Reactions: 19
Right so. Mince and onions with notions, eh?

I apologise in advance. This will nowhere near be as witty as some Frauens work. I’m on my phone and it’s complicated!

633FCF25-F874-4BD4-9404-B335959D34EC.png

Off I went to Morrisons to collect the things I didn’t have.

There were no cheap mince and onions tins, and only one mid range. The recipe called for two so I had to go spenny.
12B3F6D5-AD84-4EE8-B636-B68976279ABC.jpeg

0421D959-E8A2-4DD2-B073-48FBFC898ED2.jpeg

B66730F5-C111-4CA9-B978-FF7D50B2490B.jpeg

Total cost to buy the ingredients I didn’t have was £5.48
A441AD44-89E4-4727-8B9C-07242CBACE11.jpeg

So the slopping began. And Frauen, this really was slopping.

The recipe told me to fling everything in a pan. There was no mention of stirring but stir I did, because I am not a criminal. I did question the logic of adding more onions when onions are already present but who am I to judge?
FCEBFC98-E189-4168-9FFC-655A65FFFDA4.jpeg
78C63E12-7218-47D7-ACF8-F623396EA4D8.jpeg

D6829B77-F0BF-4A6C-95BD-70B8E91A969E.jpeg

09FBBB73-092F-4168-9138-549FBECE1E08.jpeg

Then we had the slow simmer for 20 minutes. The only thing I can take from this is that something definitely reduced, but it wasn’t the amount of liquid. I could see very little in the way of solids in this pan.

Just looked like gravy tbh. Smelt overpoweringly of red wine.
B27D9CEE-9ED8-4A38-A7B1-2E4CDDA40A75.jpeg

So, it’s cooked! I’m ready to eat! Let me just prepare some bread… oh wait…

It’s grown a skin. Nice.
16E6BDA3-0437-4387-B0BD-ECA598C88ED4.jpeg

I power on and plate up. Here’s the finished product!

89772081-0BCD-4859-8358-759B224F0F47.jpeg
tit sorry, that’s the dogs food. More visible texture though.

Whoops. HERE is the finished product:

5437AE8C-3177-4B54-BFCE-A784133FD53E.jpeg

It just resembles watery slop. Same consistency too.

So, taste? Overpoweringly of red wine, with a bitter after taste. I couldn’t manage more than a couple of teaspoonfuls. DIRE.

And it struck me as such a waste. Mince, onions and gravy granules comes to around £5, which is cheaper than this shite, and more substantial. What planet is this woman on? This is literal slop. And why add red wine? It totally drowns out any other potential flavour in the dish. Honestly, grim.

Charity payment incoming. Slop outgoing (to the bin)

Attachments

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 97
Why oh whyyyy does she use the word “slop” in her recipes?! Absolutely revolting 😭
The dog’s food definitely looks more appetising!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 36
Am honestly quite disgusted at how such a basic recipe could go disastrously wrong. It would be an expensive mistake for those who can ill-afford to mess around. It tasted disgusting.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 38
Right so. Mince and onions with notions, eh?

I apologise in advance. This will nowhere near be as witty as some Frauens work. I’m on my phone and it’s complicated!

View attachment 1729877

Off I went to Morrisons to collect the things I didn’t have.

There were no cheap mince and onions tins, and only one mid range. The recipe called for two so I had to go spenny.
View attachment 1729882
View attachment 1729885
View attachment 1729886
Total cost to buy the ingredients I didn’t have was £5.48
View attachment 1729887

So the slopping began. And Frauen, this really was slopping.

The recipe told me to fling everything in a pan. There was no mention of stirring but stir I did, because I am not a criminal. I did question the logic of adding more onions when onions are already present but who am I to judge?
View attachment 1729893View attachment 1729894
View attachment 1729895
View attachment 1729896

Then we had the slow simmer for 20 minutes. The only thing I can take from this is that something definitely reduced, but it wasn’t the amount of liquid. I could see very little in the way of solids in this pan.

Just looked like gravy tbh. Smelt overpoweringly of red wine.
View attachment 1729898

So, it’s cooked! I’m ready to eat! Let me just prepare some bread… oh wait…

It’s grown a skin. Nice.
View attachment 1729906

I power on and plate up. Here’s the finished product!

View attachment 1729909tit sorry, that’s the dogs food. More visible texture though.

Whoops. HERE is the finished product:

View attachment 1729912
It just resembles watery slop. Same consistency too.

So, taste? Overpoweringly of red wine, with a bitter after taste. I couldn’t manage more than a couple of teaspoonfuls. DIRE.

And it struck me as such a waste. Mince, onions and gravy granules comes to around £5, which is cheaper than this shite, and more substantial. What planet is this woman on? This is literal slop. And why add red wine? It totally drowns out any other potential flavour in the dish. Honestly, grim.

Charity payment incoming. Slop outgoing (to the bin)
Im sorry but thats the contents of a bedpan on the dysentery ward and nobody will convince me otherwise.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 46
Oh @EllaEm87 I can smell it from here.

Did you prod the skin with your finger? It looks like the portal to an unknown universe, one that makes a weird, distorted sci-fi sound...

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 20
Right people. Here are the results of Jack's Red lentils and mandarin curry. Hopefully I haven't managed to screw up the formatting.

Part 1. The ingredients
20221114_120028.jpg
20221114_120948.jpg

So I went to Tesco this morning for the ingredients. The spices I already have and the marmite and vitalite are for something different. Total cost= £4.02 or £1 a portion. 26p a portion my arse.

Part 2. The lentils
20221114_121512.jpg
20221114_123537.jpg

The recipe said to weigh out 150g lentils, so I did. Doesn't seem like much but I haven't published 7 cookbooks so what would I know? They were then simmered vigorously for 10 mins and rinsed. Upon rinsing, the lentils that had already turned to mush ended up going down the plughole.

Part 3. In the pan.
20221114_124058.jpg

Then I was supposed to put the lentils back in the pan, heat them up again and add the rest of the ingredients. So I did. At this point in time, it really isn't smelling that great and the dog has already disappeared from the kitchen. Usually she hangs around incase there's something for her.

Part 4. Won't somebody think of the lentils??
20221114_125319.jpg

The whole concoction is then supposed to be cranked up on high and boiled for another 20 mins. Leaving aside how much gas it would cost for 30 mins, the lentils are about to get boiled into oblivion. Still, I am sticking to the recipe faithfully so.....

Part 5. Ding ding, time's up
Screenshot_20221114-133624_Adblock Browser.jpg
20221114_130643.jpg

Top screenshot is Jack's version, bottom photo is mine. At this point it has a smell vaguely reminiscent of my circus toilet cleaner. Interesting as that wasn't the effect I was going for but as I've had to wait half an hour for my lunch to cook, I'm getting beyond hungry. Dog still nowhere to be seen

Part 6. The proof is in the tasting
20221114_130901.jpg

Time for a taste. Please excuse the black chunky handled spoon. Unlike JM I genuinely have RA. It's a choice between a fat hands spoon (as my kids call it) or a thin handled spoon and not being able to pick the spoon up in the first place. I didn't have any fancy backing paper but seeing as it's nearly Christmas I thought an Asda bag for life would add a festive twist. Although it looks like quite a lot, there is only 1 ladle full of curry in the bowl. The only person this is going to be a generous serving for is one of my son's lego people. Dog still nowhere to be seen. So I take a generous spoonful because I'm beyond hungry. Well duck me this is quite possibly the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten. Somehow it has a really nasty metallic taste. I can't taste any of the chilli, turmeric, cumin or anything else. If anyone wants to know what sadness and misery tastes like it's this. Jack must really hate food or be a really crap cook. No-one in their right mind would ever think that mandarins, lentils and tomatoes would be anything other than disgusting. The only thing I can think this would be useful for would be as some of that fake vomit you used to be able to buy in joke shops.

Ratings to follow.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 91
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.