Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Chapeau to everyone who has slopped so far and the money raised is brilliant 👏🏼
I haven’t had a chance to make mine yet but should be able to fit it in tomorrow or Tuesday
Was going to but
I don’t know how you will follow the recipe. She tells you to make a well with no further explanation. How will you figure out what this means???

I want to make a dessert to follow my “inside of a food waste bin” main course. Can’t decide between these two. Anyone want to cast a vote?

Or actually even this potential monstrosity

Jaffa cake mug thingy.

Reactions: 7
Warning: gross details below, possible trigger..

Melted ice cream is supposed to be popular among people with eating disorders because allegedly when it's eaten it helps other food slide out more easily if you purge . That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw melted ice cream as an ingredient in some of her recipes. I mean, not too many other cooks use it, probably because of the potential for food poisoning that @colouredlines mentioned.
She's making it into a cake, which would negate that particular property.

To go off on a slight tangent...I had bulimia for more than half my life, and Jack's recipes don't strike me in any way as being designed for that purpose. I'm not going to go into details because frankly the slop is disgusting enough without an added layer of binge/purge talk, but trust me on this one.

I know we have some ED truthers, but I've always felt it more likely that she makes tit food because she's a tit cook, and her portions are inadequate because her USP is making dishes that cost 2p a portion. Her descriptions of her alleged ED sound like they came from a Babysitter's Club book.

She doesn't actually eat her own recipes as written; we've seen a number of examples where the photo just doesn't match the recipe (extra ingredients, different method etc). She was clearly not living off her own recipes during the Poverty, as photos from the time demonstrate. She's just - as she so often is - a liar.

Once when I was a student I saw a recipe on a student cooking website for duck in cherry sauce. It was filed under the sort of expensive dish you would make for special occasions (Come-to-Bed Duck, if you will).

The sauce was made by melting a tub of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream.

I wish I were joking.

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
I don’t know how you will follow the recipe. She tells you to make a well with no further explanation. How will you figure out what this means???

I want to make a dessert to follow my “inside of a food waste bin” main course. Can’t decide between these two. Anyone want to cast a vote?

Or actually even this potential monstrosity

“Sleazecake”? For the love of god ..
That said, it looks relatively straightforward and so it could work - sounds incredibly sweet though.

Reactions: 22
Warning: gross details below, possible trigger..

Melted ice cream is supposed to be popular among people with eating disorders because allegedly when it's eaten it helps other food slide out more easily if you purge . That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw melted ice cream as an ingredient in some of her recipes. I mean, not too many other cooks use it, probably because of the potential for food poisoning that @colouredlines mentioned.
Oh, dear. I actually like my ice cream half or more melted and always have.

Having had half my colon removed this autumn, I can assure you that I don't need to purge either. I celebrate being mildly bunged.

It's also a reason why I'm dipping out of slopping along as the doctor and I are rather invested in keeping my innards working properly and me out of hospital.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Plenty of people let the ice cream go soupy when they’re having a bowl. Nobody sticks it in the microwave for a minute to warm it through, though.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
Good Evening dear Ninnies,

Fat garlic cloves info...🧄🧄🧄

I was reading the Delia book with the eggs on the cover last night and she refers to fat cloves throughout.

I thought this was a Jack/Nigella thing but it appears not... is this an actual cooking term?
Nige right now in his latest for the Grauniad (roast toms and chickpea mash):

D6EBED18-C2E3-4EA9-81C2-1C24BE1D356B.jpeg

Be on the lookout for portly, stout and comfortable. Folding money on Nigella for Rubenesque, with Fingers Kerridge taking had a good Christmas.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
Not to credit Jack with any original ideas (because she hasn't any, other than new ways to grift) but maybe "fat cloves" is trying to direct home cooks to use the chubbier cloves in a head of garlic. It would make more sense and be thriftier to say e.g. three plump cloves or five or six skinny ones, so that all of the garlic gets used.

Reactions: 12
The lardy buns recipe/method 🥴
Step 4 is confusing enough…

Then you read step 5 and it’s even more of a head scratcher.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Once when I was a student I saw a recipe on a student cooking website for duck in cherry sauce. It was filed under the sort of expensive dish you would make for special occasions (Come-to-Bed Duck, if you will).

The sauce was made by melting a tub of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream.

I wish I were joking.
This reminds me of an episode of Come Dine With Me where a lady made ‘raspberry coulis’ by stirring boiling water into some raspberry jam 😅 it looked awful but probably still 344% nicer than any of Jacks stuff.

I love this thread and have been really enjoying following the recipes but like others, find it frustrating and heartbreaking how almost none of the recipes work. JM doesn’t deserve a platform like she has.

I get paid on Friday so will donate then and provide a screenshot, not sure I can face cooking one of her recipes!

Reactions: 27
I edited my post above but I think the most unadulterated version would be her website, she goes on about yeast being living and how she used to use boiling water etc. lol which has all been removed for The Guardian. The basting egg becomes optional for The Guardian and she has costing on the website.

Maybe it's because I'm not a

but if I fancy making something new, I generally look online for a recipe, not write down ingredients off the back of a packet.

She really doesn't like learning things, does she?

I know some musicians can figure out how to play a song by hearing it alone, but not sure cooking is the same. Or not in her case. Not with music either (boulevaaaard!)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
Not watched in years but I used to love Masterchef: the Professionals and they used to make them do a palate test where they had to identify ingredients from tasting a recipe. Can you imagine how abysmally Jack would fail at such an endeavour 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 22
My post would make more sense if I'd linked to the post where she claimed to take the ingredients off the back of the packet, not the one where she claimed to research it. Darn her inconsistencies.

Why does she make things sound so difficult anyway? Countless people have made lardy cake before, it's not a mystery.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Cooking on a Bootstrap has 'Lardy Buns' which I would assume are the same thing? @Notmycat
But the guardian version might be the original from 2014 vs book 2018.

ETA lardy buns also appeared on her website the day after it was in the guardian (as lardy cake)
Guardian - 26/11/2014
Website - 27/11/2014
Pretty funny she has "First published in the Guardian, November 2014" when it was the day before haha
How does that work then

A lardy bun for a mardy bum

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.