Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Friday Night Slop. An essay (I’m sorry lads, it really is an essay).

I already had the eggs, oil, salt and baking powder so those were free. The rest came from co-op:

Receipt.jpg
I assemble my ingredients

Ingredients.jpg
So, I’ve already hit a snag – the tin of custard comes in 400g but recipe states 300g. I’ve not bought tinned custard before so not sure what is the norm? Anyway, I measure out 300g and hopefully will find a use for the leftovers (chuck it in a curry? Mix it with rice to make a face scrub?).
I also weigh out my self-raising flour and have a little chaos of my own:

mini chaos.jpg
By the way, why self-raising flour and baking powder?! Surely unnecessary as SRF already has baking powder/soda in it. Oh well, who am I to reason why.
I mix the milk with the custard. At this point, the recipe states ‘do it slowly, though, or else you run the risk of ending up with a milk soup and lumps of custard floating in it’. Oh, she does have a way with words, doesn’t she. She should be a food writer. Anyway, I digress. I don’t do it slowly because who has the time and I am BUSY, and... it’s fine. There are no lumps at any point. It’s almost like she… didn’t test the recipe?
Be-hole-d: my WELL-A-SORT- OF-HOLE (WASOH)! Isn’t she majestic? SHAN’T spoiler her, because I’m too proud of my culinary triumph.

WASOH.jpg

Anyway, there seemed little point in her as I was then instructed to pour 300g of custard mixed with 300ml of milk and two eggs into said WASOH, which flooded her immediately. RIP WASOH. Your intentions were pure but your square footage was inadequate.

Bye WASOH.jpg
I mixed it all together and it looks like a lovely batter, to be fair. And it smells nice. Then I add the drained rhubarb. I was honestly surprised that it was not required to be rinsed. The rhubarb lives to rinse another day. Amounts-wise, it didn't seem like much compared to the batter, but I guess the more you add, the more you slop, so perhaps it's for the best.

Unrinsed.jpg
The recipe then demands that I ‘Tip the rhubarb into the pancake mix and stir briskly’. I’m not clear why speed is of the essence here but I haven’t written 7 cook books, so what do I know.

brisk.jpg
At this point I’m quite pleased to see I’ve genuinely created an undeniable slop.

Sloppy.jpg
I now realise this makes a laughably enormous amount of batter. The recipe states it serves 4 and I am but one. I wonder if I could turn it into a cake…watch this space.
The slop sits in the fridge for ‘half an hour or so’ – oh I do enjoy these specific instructions. I give it 45 mins. It’s needs to cold ‘because…science’. Oh, so pithy, smol pixie, so pithy.
Time to pan my cakes! Oh, and put the oven on… according to the recipe ‘…place a clean baking tray in the middle shelf’. Phew, good thing she specified it should be clean. Not to mention the absolute wasteful use of the oven to ‘keep your pancakes warm…it also gives them a little rise’. Sorry what. They’re pancakes you absolute soup muncher.
I ‘dollop’ (sure) some oil into the pan once it’s warmed (scenes from JM here! But followed by advice on how not to burn your house down so we’re back on familiar ground, thank honk). The mixture is REALLY thick. It slides off the ladle in its own time and is somewhat undignified.

dollops.jpg
I fried them until golden on both sides but they were very thick dollops and am unsure they are cooked in the middle. Hopefully the bit where they hang out in the oven while they wait for their mates to join them may cook them through?
Frying.jpg
After 5 minutes in the oven, I serve them with the 'syrup drizzled over'. The juice is actually a watery consistency but that might be because I got the wrong type. I did try four shops before I found these one. Do you want me to STOP LIVING.
In short, there were not nice.
Completed it mate.jpg
There was very little flavour in them, they were stodgy and raw in the middle and putting them in the oven (for 5 minutes) did very little as far as I could tell. Pouring the rhubarb water just further sogged the slop. The saving grace was that the outside bit was alright tasting – and dipped in the rhubarb water reminded me a little of pancakes with lemon juice. Maybe if I'd used a LOT less batter, they'd be ok. Unclear how much a dollop is, unfortunately.

hmm.jpg
There is a cake in the oven because I couldn’t bear to throw the leftover batter away. Will report back on that in due course.
Rating: 2 (Terrible)
Cake rating TBC

1668197167102.png

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 86

I already had the eggs, oil, salt and baking powder so those were free. The rest came from co-op:

So, I’ve already hit a snag – the tin of custard comes in 400g but recipe states 300g. I’ve not bought tinned custard before so not sure what is the norm? Anyway, I measure out 300g and hopefully will find a use for the leftovers (chuck it in a curry? Mix it with rice to make a face scrub?).

By the way, why self-raising flour and baking powder?! Surely unnecessary as SRF already has baking powder/soda in it. Oh well, who am I to reason why.
I mix the milk with the custard. At this point, the recipe states ‘do it slowly, though, or else you run the risk of ending up with a milk soup and lumps of custard floating in it’. Oh, she does have a way with words, doesn’t she. She should be a food writer. Anyway, I digress. I don’t do it slowly because who has the time and I am BUSY, and... it’s fine. There are no lumps at any point. It’s almost like she… didn’t test the recipe?
Be-hole-d: my WELL-A-SORT- OF-HOLE (WASOH)! Isn’t she majestic? SHAN’T spoiler her, because I’m too proud of my culinary triumph.

View attachment 1722958
Anyway, there seemed little point in her as I was then instructed to pour 300g of custard mixed with 300ml of milk and two eggs into said WASOH, which flooded her immediately. RIP WASOH. Your intentions were pure but your square footage was inadequate.

I mixed it all together and it looks like a lovely batter, to be fair. And it smells nice. Then I add the drained rhubarb. I was honestly surprised that it was not required to be rinsed. The rhubarb lives to rinse another day. Amounts-wise, it didn't seem like much compared to the batter, but I guess the more you add, the more you slop, so perhaps it's for the best.

The recipe then demands that I ‘Tip the rhubarb into the pancake mix and stir briskly’. I’m not clear why speed is of the essence here but I haven’t written 7 cook books, so what do I know.

At this point I’m quite pleased to see I’ve genuinely created an undeniable slop.

I now realise this makes a laughably enormous amount of batter. The recipe states it serves 4 and I am but one. I wonder if I could turn it into a cake…watch this space.
The slop sits in the fridge for ‘half an hour or so’ – oh I do enjoy these specific instructions. I give it 45 mins. It’s needs to cold ‘because…science’. Oh, so pithy, smol pixie, so pithy.
Time to pan my cakes! Oh, and put the oven on… according to the recipe ‘…place a clean baking tray in the middle shelf’. Phew, good thing she specified it should be clean. Not to mention the absolute wasteful use of the oven to ‘keep your pancakes warm…it also gives them a little rise’. Sorry what. They’re pancakes you absolute soup muncher.
I ‘dollop’ (sure) some oil into the pan once it’s warmed (scenes from JM here! But followed by advice on how not to burn your house down so we’re back on familiar ground, thank honk). The mixture is REALLY thick. It slides off the ladle in its own time and is somewhat undignified.

I fried them until golden on both sides but they were very thick dollops and am unsure they are cooked in the middle. Hopefully the bit where they hang out in the oven while they wait for their mates to join them may cook them through?
After 5 minutes in the oven, I serve them with the 'syrup drizzled over'. The juice is actually a watery consistency but that might be because I got the wrong type. I did try four shops before I found these one. Do you want me to STOP LIVING.
There was very little flavour in them, they were stodgy and raw in the middle and putting them in the oven (for 5 minutes) did very little as far as I could tell. Pouring the rhubarb water just further sogged the slop. The saving grace was that the outside bit was alright tasting – and dipped in the rhubarb water reminded me a little of pancakes with lemon juice. Maybe if I'd used a LOT less batter, they'd be ok. Unclear how much a dollop is, unfortunately.

There is a cake in the oven because I couldn’t bear to throw the leftover batter away. Will report back on that in due course.
Cake rating TBC

Canal, I am 🦉 🍾 at your little extra touches, tile writing, home made tats and the doc’s holding your utensils. You are a bunch of funny uns. Thank you.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
I’m slinging slop and this recipe is awful, it’s literally just ‘stick the ingredient in a tray and cook at an unspecified temperature until it’s cooked.’
Thanks for all you do Jack

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 34

View attachment 1722958

Cake rating TBC

Good grief. WHY would you ruin perfectly good pancakes (not you, dearheart. I’m addressing Jack)? Why not just make a rhubarb compote and serve alongside?

Good grief. WHY would you ruin perfectly good pancakes (not you, dearheart. I’m addressing Jack)? Why not just make a rhubarb compote and serve alongside?
Perhaps ‘perfectly good’ is a stretch. On reflection.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 37
That bread tho. 😩
I’m ready for another slop, I’m away this weekend but on annual leave Monday please no bread. Open to other suggestions 🤞🏻
What about sticky brown poo? Jack was commissioned to create this recipe for children to make, so you know it will be both FUN and EASY!

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
"Serves 2" at only approx 250 calories each 😠
I think Jack decides how much she would eat (unsurprisingly a small amount of this gross shite) and divides the recipe by that to determine servings. It's completely disingenous to state "serves 2" just because she'd eat it in two servings/portions. The recurring theme of the servings being less than half the calories a meal should be, plus the photos being either a tiny bowl zoomed in or a normal bowl with 2 or 3 servings depicted, is really starting to paint yet another fraudulent picture to go along with the actual fake recipe photos (let alone the rest of the grift).

Last edited:
Reactions: 37

Perhaps ‘perfectly good’ is a stretch. On reflection.
That would make far too much sense.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
What about sticky brown poo? Jack was commissioned to create this recipe for children to make, so you know it will be both FUN and EASY!
Did somebody already claim the poo? I mean I'm not bleeping taking it but either I dreamt someone claimed it (weird) or they actually did (pure insanity)

• Haha
Reactions: 22
@Slop n slide

The DM utensil holder, the Stranglers reference, the fire warning on the tiles = su-bleeping-perb.

I thank you for your services to slop.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
Did somebody already claim the poo? I mean I'm not bleeping taking it but either I dreamt someone claimed it (weird) or they actually did (pure insanity)
I’m pretty sure the man who started this whole escapade darling @Geetbo is making the poo. I may be wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
This is now my favourite post on the thread and it's not even about slop. Even slop can't save you Jack 🤣

Slop and tickle!

I'm really hoping for a Slopalong wedding @MancBee and @Geetbo - don't disappoint me, I have a spenny stetson I need to give an airing to. I also have a washed out Viv (RIP) t-shirt bought secondhand on eBay 10 years ago I can style with it.

Let's make this happen! The wedding breakfast can be provided by The Canal via Jack's so-called cookbooks.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
Okay, I’m having to defrost my sausages which I didn’t really think of, so in the meantime I thought I’d do a little Bollock Sausage review.
I thought they’d be bad but they surprised me, they’re not only 40% pork but also about 40% edible.
For newbies these are the Asda essentials frozen sausages that Jack puts into a lot of her dishes. They £1.50 for twenty.
7802C23F-2DBF-4E79-9207-A2B46A17CC36.jpeg

First I paid tribute to our hero.

As you can see they’re almost as white as my chopping board.
678FD468-C131-43AC-8E6C-0B54AD6DE110.jpeg

A9D9DEE9-10AD-41DD-87B4-7617E3B93878.jpeg

Obviously they’re not going to be amazing at that price, and poor welfare meat is a whole other discussion.
But these are minging, I said before that I’m partial to overly processed food but I can’t think of anything good to say about these and neither could my sister.
The texture is weirdly dry and sort of foamy? They really do melt like Jack says. The part that doesn’t melt is the bleeping skin.
I refuse to believe that the skin is made of beef and not plastic, I still have bits in my teeth.
You can see from the picture that they go weird and saggy as soon as you take them out the oven, kind of like a limp dick with a dried up contact lens on it (soz about the imagery but it’s genuinely the best way I can describe it 😂
Lastly the smell! The bleeping smell.
Have you ever had a very cheap sausage roll that kind of smells like fart? Well image that X five filling up your flat and that was from cooking one sausage. Why you’d stick these in instead of veg is totally beyond me, there’s probably more meat in a courgette too just from one caterpillar crawling across it.
Not recommended.

Stay tuned for the sausange, I’m sure it’ll be lovely 🙂

EDIT: forgot to actually say what they taste like and there’s a reason why - nothing. They literally taste of nothing 😂 the aftertaste is kind of like the belch of someone who’s eaten a fry up.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 68
I think Jack decides how much she would eat (unsurprisingly a small amount of this gross shite) and divides the recipe by that to determine servings. It's completely disingenous to state "serves 2" just because she'd eat it in two servings/portions. The recurring theme of the servings being less than half the calories a meal should be, plus the photos being either a tiny bowl zoomed in or a normal bowl with 2 or 3 servings depicted, is really starting to paint yet another fraudulent picture to go along with the actual fake recipe photos (let alone the rest of the grift).
It's very frustrating because that microwave chilli could easily be shared as a recipe for one and it would be reasonable (although of questionable quality), but nobody who shares them bothers to take a minute to check calories 🙄

Reactions: 18
I'm really hoping to a Slopalong wedding @MancBee and @Geetbo - don't disappoint me, I have a spenny stetson I need to give an airing to. I also have a washed out Viv (RIP) t-shirt bought secondhand on eBay 10 years ago I can style with it.

Let's make this happen! The wedding breakfast can be provided by The Canal via Jack's so-called cookbooks.
What's the couple nickname? MancBo? GeetBe?

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.