Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Now that I am semi recovered I have donated to Food Cycle, who seem to be the anti Jack, in that they combat food waste rather than actively causing it, as per my bindaloo from today.
0658EDDA-DEAE-4F01-929C-CA0B713257AE.png

96F33BD2-60DB-4A3B-A683-D395E893E589.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Dal Makhani

I chose this in fairness to Jack as it looked like a decent recipe and I love dal. I knew I'd be able to rescue this if necessary at a relatively low cost, unlike the Creamy Crabby Pasta. It's hard to go wrong with a basic dal, even for Jack.

I used the BBC Food recipe/method which I'm assuming is the same as the Cooking on a Bootstrap one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/dal_makhani_30779

Prep time: Mysteriously it says that prep time is 30 mins to 1 hour. Seems excessive for rinsing beans/lentils and chopping an onion but who am I to argue with someone who's written 7 books. It took me around 15 minutes including opening the cans. Yay me. The prep time stated on the BBC website might put someone off this recipe but be reassured the prep time is wrong..

Cooking time: Stated as 10-30 minutes despite the final part of the cooking needing to be a 30 minute simmer. I now suspect the BBC (and/or Jack) got the prep and cooking times arse backwards.

£6.06 total vs the BBC total of £4.44, however, allowing for inflation and the fact I didn't use basic ingredients this seems fair. It did provide 4 servings which with rice or a naan would be quite filling.

Couldn't be arsed to work them out but BBC website says 555 cals per serving which I think is probably accurate. I'm not sure if that includes rice. Either way it's not a bad meal calorifically.

Ingredients

Nothing was from a basic range. The lentils were a bit spenny at £1.05 for the tin but they were the only tinned lentils in Sainsbury's. Costings were based on this but obviously the dish could be made cheaper. No coriander because it's the herb of the Devil imo.

View attachment 1722451

Step 1

Ceremonial rinsing of the beans and lentils. No tomato sauce was harmed in the preparation of these ingredients.

Onions, garlic paste, ginger paste, curry powder, half the butter and a pinch of cayenne added to the pan. As before I followed the recipe to the letter - everything chucked into a cold pan.

View attachment 1722452

Step 2

It formed a thick paste that needed regular stirring to cook through. Despite this the onions took forever to get vaguely soft. My tweak would have been to warm the pan, melt the butter and cook the onions for 5 mins before adding the other ingredients.

Tinned tomatoes, coconut milk, pinch of salt and around a teaspoon of black pepper added. Brought to the boil then reduced to a simmer.

View attachment 1722454

Step 3

Kidney beans, lentils and the remainder of the butter added. Simmered for 30 minutes. The method does not mention stirring at any point but because I'm a mitherer I went to stir it after 10 minutes. An unpleasant skin had developed over the top so I stirred it every 5 minutes after that. Had I just left it to simmer for 30 minutes it would have developed a skin thicker than a rhino. No time for this scumbag Frau to sit on her arse and watch Jeremey Kyle, meh

View attachment 1722455

Covered with foil and left to cool as per instructions, to be reheated later. This is not a 'cook and serve' recipe so probably best prepared the day before you want to eat it. This gave me plenty of time to watch Episode 9 of DKL where Jack honked her way through this recipe.

The Moment of Truth

As mentioned earlier, I hate coriander almost as much as I hate Jack's grifting. I bunged a bit of parsley on for presentation purposes only. No stunt hands available (Marigold of the hands had deflated and I couldn't be arsed to blow them up again).

View attachment 1722456

The Verdict

Ingredients - easy to source, brown lentils were a bit spenny 4/5
Recipe - straightforward and easy to follow, for once the ingredients included salt albeit only a "pinch" 4/5
Visual appeal - looks fine - just like any other daal 4/5
Texture - again, absolutely fine apartfrom the undercooked onions 4/5
Taste - Onions a bit undercooked but decent spicy kick 4/5

Overall
- well done, Jack a decent recipe with a decent result. Nice level of spice, The lentil to kidney bean ratio was not what I would expect from a dal makhani and it wasn't as creamy or buttery as it should be but this is a budget recipe and presumably not claiming to be authentic. Added some salt when eating it but I'm a smoker so not a major criticism. Onions were still slightly undercooked so if I made this again (probably won't, there's better, more authentic recipes out there) I'd cook them for a bit before adding the other ingredients.

Hold onto your chapeaus, Fraus - this gets a 4 from me.
Hmmmmm. I think Jack nicked this recipe due to the amount of garlic/ginger, curry powder, butter and coconut milk 🤔.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Overall - well done, Jack a decent recipe with a decent result. Nice level of spice, The lentil to kidney bean ratio was not what I would expect from a dal makhani and it wasn't as creamy or buttery as it should be but this is a budget recipe and presumably not claiming to be authentic. Added some salt when eating it but I'm a smoker so not a major criticism. Onions were still slightly undercooked so if I made this again (probably won't, there's better, more authentic recipes out there) I'd cook them for a bit before adding the other ingredients.
Careful LG you'll be on the cover of Grifty Kitchen at this rate 🤭
Well done to you as well!
Just comparing this to the aubergine and lentil 'vindaloo' it's bizarre, especially considering they're both from Cooking on a Bootstrap!

Slop has been slung. Are you ready ninnies?

I assembled my ingredients, some were free as I already had them. I had to get the aubergine, cashew milk, sunflower oil (because I usually cook with coconut oil but wanted to be PAINSTAKINGLY authentic), lentils, mustard, wine chopped tomatoes and dried thyme. I spent £13 although I do have some of those ingredients left for future slops.

I softy, gently rinsed the lentils and covered them with water. No amount of water was specified so I just covered them. This clearly wasn’t quite enough as the lentils absorbed it pretty quickly once they started boiling.
View attachment 1722414I While the lentils were cooking I started the sauce, chopping 6 cloves of garlic and adding them to a cold pan with two tablespoons of oil and two-small-onions’ worth of frozen onion because that’s how I roll.
View attachment 1722430
After a few minutes I added the other ingredients, making a lovely slop.
View attachment 1722450This included an entire teaspoon of dried thyme (or optional interchangeable herbs obvs) so I was feeling fairly hopeful that there might be at least a small amount of flavour.

I then rinsed the lentils again (THOROUGHLY. WARNED!) and added them to the slop.
View attachment 1722479
The recipe then inexplicably told me to fill a cup with water and pop it on the side.View attachment 1722480
And then I set about making the bechamel. I am fairly practised at making bechamel and felt concerned about stirring flour into cold oil, but it did form somewhat of a roux.
View attachment 1722490The cashew milk made a smooth sauce (no need to sieve out any lumps 🤢) but it didn’t really thicken. Also, there just wasn’t much of it.

But I ploughed ahead very finely slicing my aubergine.
View attachment 1722489
I then assembled the “moussaka”. There was literally a dribble of bechamel in each layer, but I dutifully spread it with the back of a spoon.
View attachment 1722493
I had not bothered to count my aubergine slices so the dearth (NB Jack: correct use of the word dearth) of aubergine in the top layer was entirely my fault. The dearth of bechamel was entirely Jack’s. I didn’t bother to grate the whole slice of bread, but I’m not sure extra breadcrumbs could have really saved this anyway.
View attachment 1722504
40 minutes later, I removed it from the oven and served myself up an eighth of it as per Jack’s claim that this serves 8, generously.

View attachment 1722506
So, my verdict?
Well, it is edible but pretty flavourless. The aubergine is fairly chewy despite being so thinly sliced and the lentils are a bit chalky. It mostly tastes of tomato and garlic. One “portion” is definitely not generous and nutritionally is significantly lacking.
View attachment 1722511
i was debating giving it a 3, but honestly, I wouldn’t ever make it again. I’m sure it could be saved with some additional flavours and a decent bechamel (no seasoning in the bechamel and this jar of mustard, listed in the ingredients for the sauce, never got mentioned in the actual recipe)
View attachment 1722515
So I’m giving it a 2 - terrible. Would not recommend.
Well slopped SP!
I have to say that I think if a recipe has a glaring error or omission, like a completely unused ingredient (mustard here) or a 'generous' portion being only 130 calories, it should be an automatic 2 at best. I suppose the final score should reflect the whole recipe and not just how edible the final product is.

• Haha
Reactions: 38
That moussaka is so so sad. No potatoes? For anyone who likes to eat low carb (or just anyone really), Tom “Fingers” Kerridge has an insanely amazing moussaka recipe in his Dopamine Diet book. It’s one of the best things I have ever eaten. Probably not cheap, and not quick to cook, but would blow Jack’s sorry excuse (isn’t she like a scant 1/8 of a teaspoon Cypriot?) for a moussaka out of the water.

Reactions: 31
That moussaka is so so sad. No potatoes? For anyone who likes to eat low carb (or just anyone really), Tom “Fingers” Kerridge has an insanely amazing moussaka recipe in his Dopamine Diet book. It’s one of the best things I have ever eaten. Probably not cheap, and not quick to cook, but would blow Jack’s sorry excuse (isn’t she like a scant 1/8 of a teaspoon Cypriot?) for a moussaka out of the water.
I’m a fan of Rick Stein’s moussaka myself. Obvs not a vegan recipe though.

Reactions: 12
I've put myself down for another little recipe Whoa F*ck Dressing
It's got everything you would want from a Monroe number:
  • Jack being given a friend's product for free then trying to reverse engineer it on the cheap, rather than promote the product or just... buy some more
  • Then posting the recipe on her website to 500,000 potential customers readers
  • NO praise whatsoever for the original ("all I could remember was the sheer amount of chilli flakes suspended in a sesame oil dressing") but exaggerated praise for her version ("my tastebuds shot off on an exuberant joyride... made my eyes pop and my tongue sing")
  • Basically saying make her version don't buy the real thing (with friends like Jack eh?)
  • Claims it will get better with age and the concerns over things in oil having botulism are 'scaremongering'
  • 'Sainsbugs' 🤮
  • A reader corrects her about the botulism which she accepts (!) but only as a 'wrong word'
  • Says she'll correct it but never does, gets called out on it months later
  • Reader irritatedly explains that many would like to sell this kind of product but they're so risky they don't/won't
  • Therefore highlighting a major benefit of buying the real product in the first place
  • It oozes with narcissism
I bought chilli flakes (in error for another version of pasta sauce) and white wine vinegar for slops, and only need to get hold of sunflower and peanut/sesame oil. I've also decided to buy the real thing to compare but also to spite Jack - £5.95

firefox_92pxXM9Xzx.png

firefox_LHAhf46O48.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Omfg an actually cheap and reasonably tasty meal. She must have copied it. It’s the only explanation.
Nobody was more surprised than me, dear heart.

It was the lower end of a 4 rating due to the undercooked onion, lack of creamy buttery taste and the unauthentic lentil to kidney bean ratio (should be more 70/30 than 50/50). I took into account the fact this is a budget version in order to keep costs down so I shall painstakingly pick some of the kidney beans out as they are not my favourite.

I inhaled it greedily as it was 3pm by the time it had cooled ready to be reheated and I hadn't eaten anything up until that point. I won't make it again as there are better recipes out there that are more to my taste. Can't knock the price of the ingredients, the calorie content or the spicy kick though so overall it was a success. Then again, anything was going to be better than the fish paste pasta recipe I did previously :sick:

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
  • Jack being given a friend's product for free then trying to reverse engineer it on the cheap, rather than promote the product or just... buy some more
  • NO praise whatsoever for the original ("all I could remember was the sheer amount of chilli flakes suspended in a sesame oil dressing") but exaggerated praise for her version ("my tastebuds shot off on an exuberant joyride... made my eyes pop and my tongue sing")
  • Basically saying make her version don't buy the real thing (with friends like Jack eh?)
  • Claims it will get better with age and the concerns over things in oil having botulism are 'scaremongering'
  • 'Sainsbugs' 🤮
  • A reader corrects her about the botulism which she accepts (!) but only as a 'wrong word'
  • Reader irritatedly explains that many would like to sell this kind of product but they're so risky they don't/won't
  • Therefore highlighting a major benefit of buying the real product in the first place
I bought chilli flakes (in error for another version of pasta sauce) and white wine vinegar for slops, and only need to get hold of sunflower and peanut/sesame oil. I've also decided to buy the real thing to compare but also to spite Jack - £5.95

View attachment 1722595
View attachment 1722596
yet another recipe that's actively hazardous

• Sad
Reactions: 17
Been browsing the recipe list for a dessert to follow the disastrous moussaka. What in the name of LJC is Sleazecake? Also would like to take a look at the Jaffa cake in a cup. Both from Bad Food for Slop Days @Notmycat Thank(space)you

Reactions: 18
Slop has been slung. Are you ready ninnies?

I assembled my ingredients, some were free as I already had them. I had to get the aubergine, cashew milk, sunflower oil (because I usually cook with coconut oil but wanted to be PAINSTAKINGLY authentic), lentils, mustard, wine chopped tomatoes and dried thyme. I spent £13 although I do have some of those ingredients left for future slops.

I softy, gently rinsed the lentils and covered them with water. No amount of water was specified so I just covered them. This clearly wasn’t quite enough as the lentils absorbed it pretty quickly once they started boiling.
View attachment 1722414I While the lentils were cooking I started the sauce, chopping 6 cloves of garlic and adding them to a cold pan with two tablespoons of oil and two-small-onions’ worth of frozen onion because that’s how I roll.
View attachment 1722430
After a few minutes I added the other ingredients, making a lovely slop.
View attachment 1722450This included an entire teaspoon of dried thyme (or optional interchangeable herbs obvs) so I was feeling fairly hopeful that there might be at least a small amount of flavour.

I then rinsed the lentils again (THOROUGHLY. WARNED!) and added them to the slop.
View attachment 1722479
The recipe then inexplicably told me to fill a cup with water and pop it on the side.View attachment 1722480
And then I set about making the bechamel. I am fairly practised at making bechamel and felt concerned about stirring flour into cold oil, but it did form somewhat of a roux.
View attachment 1722490The cashew milk made a smooth sauce (no need to sieve out any lumps 🤢) but it didn’t really thicken. Also, there just wasn’t much of it.

But I ploughed ahead very finely slicing my aubergine.
View attachment 1722489
I then assembled the “moussaka”. There was literally a dribble of bechamel in each layer, but I dutifully spread it with the back of a spoon.
View attachment 1722493
I had not bothered to count my aubergine slices so the dearth (NB Jack: correct use of the word dearth) of aubergine in the top layer was entirely my fault. The dearth of bechamel was entirely Jack’s. I didn’t bother to grate the whole slice of bread, but I’m not sure extra breadcrumbs could have really saved this anyway.
View attachment 1722504
40 minutes later, I removed it from the oven and served myself up an eighth of it as per Jack’s claim that this serves 8, generously.

View attachment 1722506
So, my verdict?
Well, it is edible but pretty flavourless. The aubergine is fairly chewy despite being so thinly sliced and the lentils are a bit chalky. It mostly tastes of tomato and garlic. One “portion” is definitely not generous and nutritionally is significantly lacking.
View attachment 1722511
i was debating giving it a 3, but honestly, I wouldn’t ever make it again. I’m sure it could be saved with some additional flavours and a decent bechamel (no seasoning in the bechamel and this jar of mustard, listed in the ingredients for the sauce, never got mentioned in the actual recipe)
View attachment 1722515
So I’m giving it a 2 - terrible. Would not recommend.
Oil in béchamel?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
What I find surprising is the use of tinned sardines while supposedly on holiday in Spain - the fresh ones are (or were) a few € per kg, why go for tins?
Imagine being on holiday and having to eat tinned sardines ALL WEEK. Maybe that's what happened in Dordecht? 🤔

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
My Harold happened to be looking over my shoulder when I watched the bread ‘slicing’ video. He’s now mumbling “courgette, lemon and Sultana?” to himself.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
  • 'Sainsbugs' 🤮

View attachment 1722595
View attachment 1722596
📣Roll up! roll up! Get your botulism here! 🤡🤡

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.