Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well, at least she preheated the oven for the sardines. After all the cold oil in the cold pan business we've been subjected to, I was half expecting her not to.
What I find surprising is the use of tinned sardines while supposedly on holiday in Spain - the fresh ones are (or were) a few € per kg, why go for tins?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
I'm so glad you posted this. I have covid brain fog and was actually starting to question whether she'd genuinely called it tit Yourself Smoothie. I mean she did call a recipe Crapuccino so you can understand my confusion.
Sticky brown poo 💩

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
What I find surprising is the use of tinned sardines while supposedly on holiday in Spain - the fresh ones are (or were) a few € per kg, why go for tins?
Do you seriously think Jack has the skill set required to prepare and cook a whole fish from fresh?

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Well, that was an hour of my life I'll never get back.

Firstly I gathered up my ingredients. I had most things, and as I decided to cook the slop at my sisters, I borrowed some bits off her. Namely the cinnamon and two different types of vinegar - the recipe calls for 'oil' and 'vinegar' without specifying type. She only had a little bit of malt and a little apple cider, so those it was. All vinegars are interchangeable, right?
View attachment 1722097

Started off by peeling the garlic and slicing the onion. Into the cold 'oil' they went - the specification was 'a little' oil, but I put in enough to actually do the job of starting to soften the onions because I KNOW HOW TO COOK.
This seemed like a lot of onion.
View attachment 1722107
I cooked it til it was softening, then added SIX FAT CLOVES of garlic, unadorned. Then chucked in the elusive and wily aubergine (they must have been forewarned of their fate, RIP aubergine, go well lad) Then I added half a tsp of cinnamon, chilli flakes, cumin seeds and ONE EIGHTH of a teaspoon of fennel seeds wtf. Stirred.
View attachment 1722119
At this point I was instructed to add half a cup of water 'about 125ml' and 'crank up the heat' while I put the lentils on. There were no further instructions as to what to do with the mix while the lentils were cooking for 12 minutes. Lads, the water was immediately slurped up by the poor aubergine so I stirred like duck to stop it burning and wrecking my sisters pan. There was a pervasive smell of cinnamon in the air.
The lentils were also playing silly buggers - having been instructed to 'cover with water' which I did, no depth specified, they immediately absorbed it all in their efforts to produce their 'scum' (her words not mine) I had to add a lot more water 'covering' them was not enough.
View attachment 1722128
Lentils: scummy, but not as scummy as Jack.
Cooked lentils were rinsed like beans and then plopped in to the onion concoction which had been stirred to death.
View attachment 1722131
Stirred it all up like a pro and added the two tbsp of tomato puree, and the one of each vinegar. Cinnamon smell briefly replaced by chip shop smell.
View attachment 1722133
At this point the recipe says 'bring to the boil'. Bring what to the boil? This is not slop by any means. There's no liquid left, this is dryer than a Saharan Nun's hooha. I quote 'It should take 10 more minutes to meld into this glossy, orange, spicy goodness, and the liquid should thicken to an unctuous sauce.' WHAT LIQUID, JACK?! THERE IS NO bleeping LIQUID.
So I was forced to deviate from the recipe and I added half a pint of water.
View attachment 1722141
At least it looked a bit curry-ish at this point, though those garlic cloves were concerning me. Are we supposed to eat them like that? Hmm.
So I cooked it for another ten minutes, and this was the end result. Are you ready for your close up?
View attachment 1722144
Jack adds this stupid instruction at this point, and again I howl WHAT. LIQUID. HOW CAN IT BE TOO WATERY?!?!?!?!
View attachment 1722160
I portioned out half (though apparently this can serve four)
View attachment 1722145
My sister shrieked at the state of my nail in this pic, fraus how I laughed. It's pen. Authentic though right?

So then I had to try it. The first forkful was all onion. Crunchy onion. I could actually taste the chilli, so there's some warmth. That was about it though. I tried a bit of aubergine, it just mooshed in my mouth with a sad tasteless splat. All I was getting was chilli. Absolutely no flavour of curry. I managed another bit of onion, but wasn't even getting any of the cinnamon. My stomach started to hurt a bit at this point because of the amount of pretty much still raw onion.
Sister observed taste test and said 'I'm not eating that tit' and stormed out the house, returning with this!!!
Modelled by well kempt doggo Jasper. Jasper is salty as he is not allowed this delight and also he hasn't been near the kitchen to beg since I put the slop on (telling in itself!)
View attachment 1722166

Well. I used an online calculator to analyze this 'recipe'...
View attachment 1722172

It's not good, is it? 185 calories. duck you Jack, you'd need to eat TWO packets of microwave rice with this to make it up to say 650 calories. Even with the 'greedy' eating of half that's only 370 calories and it's ALL bleeping ONION.

My stomach is growling unhappily and I only had a few mouthfuls. The rest will be going in the bin. What a colossal waste of food and time and energy. I'm bleeping furious she's getting away with this. I can afford to now have another meal (thanks sis and Charlie B) but what if this was your only dinner option? Raging.

Score: 1 - dire.

I'd like to introduce 0 - dogshit, but if I was in dire straits, I could force myself to eat this, but I think it would make me ill. Also dogshit probably actually tastes like *something*.
That is so bad. I actually googled the recipe on her blog because it's unbelievable. You have followed the recipe as it's written. Do we think she's missed out a crucial ingredient like tinned tomatoes and maybe stock?! There's also a few typos in the recipe write up. Including this one. Which I feel is some sort of sign.

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 35
do we think her publishers/editor are virtual people? Or cardboard cutouts 🤔 nobody with an ounce of common sense would publish 7 books of fantasy recipes. Not tested, not proof read, not nutritionally checkEd, nothing

• Haha
Reactions: 28
And so it is time. Time for me to make Mushroom & Tea Bourgignon.

The Preamble

I'm vegan and I love tea so this should be an easy win. However, I've been to the gym and had a quick 'yomp' around the woods so I'm hungry. I'm perimenopausal. My tolerance for bullshit is limited.

The ingredients

i only had to pay for the mushrooms (£2.70). The rest I had in stock so they were free. Jack likes hers “slopped‘ (mmmmm) onto rice or with greens. I couldnt work out whether this was included in the costings or not. I forgot to include the garlic and purée in the photo but I did use them.

The revelation that other shops sell onions and mushrooms (not just sainsburys) was life changing. Jack also said she would amend the costs on Tuesday if those sneaky supermarkets put their prices up. I don’t know if the 41p in the title is pre or post.

The Process

i found the biggest mug I could find. At this stage, I’ve no idea if my mug choice is ironic or not.

The method to chop onions was inspired by her friend (@Valiofthedolls you can add to this morning’s list!) suspect adding them to a cold pan was not.

I was confused by removing teabags (plural) from the mug as earlier it was only singular. The mushrooms went in raw and not fried beforehand. This felt odd. I can only hope that the “flavours meld together in a super delicious way “.

The Result

it was…fine. I couldn’t really taste the tea. it would be massively improved by cooking the mushrooms first. With rice, it could serve 4 people.
My rating: 3~Middle Class.

Attachments

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 59
Because the tinned sardines were 1€ for 3 tins dearheart. Everyone declared them The Best Ever and ate them every single day of the holiday 🙄.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 24
I knew this was going to be bad but didn't expect it to be that bad. 3 whole onions! Plus you had to make 3 corrections to get the job done for oil then water twice, not good. It's supposed to be a vindaloo but that's just offensive.
Also 'motion' approved 👨‍⚖️🤣

Now hand over Jasper 🥰

Thankyou HoC x
I think 20g of butter would have done the job and I only had olive oil not sunflower or 'groundnut' (peanut). Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen olive oil in her recipes.
It said to slice the onions but finely diced or chopped would be better for a sauce, not great big 2" pieces.
It's shocking the sauce has 1 whole tsp fennel seeds but FlirtyThirty's 'vindaloo' has only 1/8 tsp!

Utterly dire. I'll add this video to the media gallery because then we can have them in the wiki as well.
And thankyou for doing the Courgette, Sultana & Lemon Bread tender one x
Would you say both of these are a 1 - dire?
1 dire
Yes absolutely

• Haha
Reactions: 10
All those middle class squigs replying to hard up posters, telling them to use her recipes have obviously never tried one. Or if they have it's that peach and chickpea curry 🤢

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 19
That is so bad. I actually googled the recipe on her blog because it's unbelievable. You have followed the recipe as it's written. Do we think she's missed out a crucial ingredient like tinned tomatoes and maybe stock?! There's also a few typos in the recipe write up. Including this one. Which I feel is some sort of sign.
It…geets better? Geets? @Geetbo !!!!

But yes, I am positive she missed an entire step and ingredient, maybe because she stole it from somewhere else because she sure as tit didn’t make this or eat it.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 29
Dal Makhani

I chose this in fairness to Jack as it looked like a decent recipe and I love dal. I knew I'd be able to rescue this if necessary at a relatively low cost, unlike the Creamy Crabby Pasta. It's hard to go wrong with a basic dal, even for Jack.

I used the BBC Food recipe/method which I'm assuming is the same as the Cooking on a Bootstrap one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/dal_makhani_30779

Prep time: Mysteriously it says that prep time is 30 mins to 1 hour. Seems excessive for rinsing beans/lentils and chopping an onion but who am I to argue with someone who's written 7 books. It took me around 15 minutes including opening the cans. Yay me. The prep time stated on the BBC website might put someone off this recipe but be reassured the prep time is wrong..

Cooking time: Stated as 10-30 minutes despite the final part of the cooking needing to be a 30 minute simmer. I now suspect the BBC (and/or Jack) got the prep and cooking times arse backwards.

£6.06 total vs the BBC total of £4.44, however, allowing for inflation and the fact I didn't use basic ingredients this seems fair. It did provide 4 servings which with rice or a naan would be quite filling.

Couldn't be arsed to work them out but BBC website says 555 cals per serving which I think is probably accurate. I'm not sure if that includes rice. Either way it's not a bad meal calorifically.

Ingredients

Nothing was from a basic range. The lentils were a bit spenny at £1.05 for the tin but they were the only tinned lentils in Sainsbury's. Costings were based on this but obviously the dish could be made cheaper. No coriander because it's the herb of the Devil imo.

IMG_0719 (1).jpg

Step 1

Ceremonial rinsing of the beans and lentils. No tomato sauce was harmed in the preparation of these ingredients.

Onions, garlic paste, ginger paste, curry powder, half the butter and a pinch of cayenne added to the pan. As before I followed the recipe to the letter - everything chucked into a cold pan.

rinse and pan.JPG

Step 2

It formed a thick paste that needed regular stirring to cook through. Despite this the onions took forever to get vaguely soft. My tweak would have been to warm the pan, melt the butter and cook the onions for 5 mins before adding the other ingredients.

Tinned tomatoes, coconut milk, pinch of salt and around a teaspoon of black pepper added. Brought to the boil then reduced to a simmer.

Paste and tomato.JPG

Step 3

Kidney beans, lentils and the remainder of the butter added. Simmered for 30 minutes. The method does not mention stirring at any point but because I'm a mitherer I went to stir it after 10 minutes. An unpleasant skin had developed over the top so I stirred it every 5 minutes after that. Had I just left it to simmer for 30 minutes it would have developed a skin thicker than a rhino. No time for this scumbag Frau to sit on her arse and watch Jeremey Kyle, meh

the simmering.JPG

Covered with foil and left to cool as per instructions, to be reheated later. This is not a 'cook and serve' recipe so probably best prepared the day before you want to eat it. This gave me plenty of time to watch Episode 9 of DKL where Jack honked her way through this recipe.

The Moment of Truth

As mentioned earlier, I hate coriander almost as much as I hate Jack's grifting. I bunged a bit of parsley on for presentation purposes only. No stunt hands available (Marigold of the hands had deflated and I couldn't be arsed to blow them up again).

IMG_0732.jpg

The Verdict

Ingredients - easy to source, brown lentils were a bit spenny 4/5
Recipe - straightforward and easy to follow, for once the ingredients included salt albeit only a "pinch" 4/5
Visual appeal - looks fine - just like any other daal 4/5
Texture - again, absolutely fine apartfrom the undercooked onions 4/5
Taste - Onions a bit undercooked but decent spicy kick 4/5

Overall
- well done, Jack a decent recipe with a decent result. Nice level of spice, The lentil to kidney bean ratio was not what I would expect from a dal makhani and it wasn't as creamy or buttery as it should be but this is a budget recipe and presumably not claiming to be authentic. Added some salt when eating it but I'm a smoker so not a major criticism. Onions were still slightly undercooked so if I made this again (probably won't, there's better, more authentic recipes out there) I'd cook them for a bit before adding the other ingredients.

Hold onto your chapeaus, Fraus - this gets a 4 from me.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 91
Slop has been slung. Are you ready ninnies?

I assembled my ingredients, some were free as I already had them. I had to get the aubergine, cashew milk, sunflower oil (because I usually cook with coconut oil but wanted to be PAINSTAKINGLY authentic), lentils, mustard, wine chopped tomatoes and dried thyme. I spent £13 although I do have some of those ingredients left for future slops.

I softy, gently rinsed the lentils and covered them with water. No amount of water was specified so I just covered them. This clearly wasn’t quite enough as the lentils absorbed it pretty quickly once they started boiling.
4B01E6AA-BBD5-47FB-8525-E80F23AB027D.jpeg
I While the lentils were cooking I started the sauce, chopping 6 cloves of garlic and adding them to a cold pan with two tablespoons of oil and two-small-onions’ worth of frozen onion because that’s how I roll.
571F7FD3-C9C7-4B0A-A7C9-2873F6744507.jpeg

After a few minutes I added the other ingredients, making a lovely slop.
C3CD5EAD-0EAF-4B68-AA82-8493BF9165AE.jpeg
This included an entire teaspoon of dried thyme (or optional interchangeable herbs obvs) so I was feeling fairly hopeful that there might be at least a small amount of flavour.

I then rinsed the lentils again (THOROUGHLY. WARNED!) and added them to the slop.
4A60A111-ACE3-4C72-A675-0DB95FC551DB.jpeg

The recipe then inexplicably told me to fill a cup with water and pop it on the side.
D3C9028E-8F4A-458F-9E10-53A88BB2FDDF.jpeg

And then I set about making the bechamel. I am fairly practised at making bechamel and felt concerned about stirring flour into cold oil, but it did form somewhat of a roux.
0821906D-70E0-433D-A894-B6908642D25E.jpeg
The cashew milk made a smooth sauce (no need to sieve out any lumps 🤢) but it didn’t really thicken. Also, there just wasn’t much of it.

But I ploughed ahead very finely slicing my aubergine.
9D4DED16-B5DB-4E82-80B8-6E542591217A.jpeg

I then assembled the “moussaka”. There was literally a dribble of bechamel in each layer, but I dutifully spread it with the back of a spoon.
E0A26D05-55EC-4DDB-8E87-0B50882B08DA.jpeg

I had not bothered to count my aubergine slices so the dearth (NB Jack: correct use of the word dearth) of aubergine in the top layer was entirely my fault. The dearth of bechamel was entirely Jack’s. I didn’t bother to grate the whole slice of bread, but I’m not sure extra breadcrumbs could have really saved this anyway.
004C09EA-5672-47F8-85E4-FCBDCE53D328.jpeg
40 minutes later, I removed it from the oven and served myself up an eighth of it as per Jack’s claim that this serves 8, generously.

396FB5B1-6426-490B-9D52-B8A8E1B148D5.jpeg
So, my verdict?
Well, it is edible but pretty flavourless. The aubergine is fairly chewy despite being so thinly sliced and the lentils are a bit chalky. It mostly tastes of tomato and garlic. One “portion” is definitely not generous and nutritionally is significantly lacking.
406D431C-EFB0-4E8D-9B58-308F7BFF8FE0.jpeg

i was debating giving it a 3, but honestly, I wouldn’t ever make it again. I’m sure it could be saved with some additional flavours and a decent bechamel (no seasoning in the bechamel and this jar of mustard, listed in the ingredients for the sauce, never got mentioned in the actual recipe)
77BA0D87-0116-4A55-A16C-2C2D880E8706.jpeg

So I’m giving it a 2 - terrible. Would not recommend.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 82
Donation made via Paypal to a local dog sanctuary. They adopt elderly and disabled dogs so the vet and laundry costs are quite high. All my local foodbanks are Trussell Trust so I decided to donate to a dog sanctuary as tribute to Content having to be forcibly wrestled by a smol pixie.

Dogs.JPG

ETA: Have added this to the Wiki and updated the total

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 47
Dal Makhani

I chose this in fairness to Jack as it looked like a decent recipe and I love dal. I knew I'd be able to rescue this if necessary at a relatively low cost, unlike the Creamy Crabby Pasta. It's hard to go wrong with a basic dal, even for Jack.

I used the BBC Food recipe/method which I'm assuming is the same as the Cooking on a Bootstrap one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/dal_makhani_30779

Prep time: Mysteriously it says that prep time is 30 mins to 1 hour. Seems excessive for rinsing beans/lentils and chopping an onion but who am I to argue with someone who's written 7 books. It took me around 15 minutes including opening the cans. Yay me. The prep time stated on the BBC website might put someone off this recipe but be reassured the prep time is wrong..

Cooking time: Stated as 10-30 minutes despite the final part of the cooking needing to be a 30 minute simmer. I now suspect the BBC (and/or Jack) got the prep and cooking times arse backwards.

£6.06 total vs the BBC total of £4.44, however, allowing for inflation and the fact I didn't use basic ingredients this seems fair. It did provide 4 servings which with rice or a naan would be quite filling.

Couldn't be arsed to work them out but BBC website says 555 cals per serving which I think is probably accurate. I'm not sure if that includes rice. Either way it's not a bad meal calorifically.

Ingredients

Nothing was from a basic range. The lentils were a bit spenny at £1.05 for the tin but they were the only tinned lentils in Sainsbury's. Costings were based on this but obviously the dish could be made cheaper. No coriander because it's the herb of the Devil imo.

View attachment 1722451

Step 1

Ceremonial rinsing of the beans and lentils. No tomato sauce was harmed in the preparation of these ingredients.

Onions, garlic paste, ginger paste, curry powder, half the butter and a pinch of cayenne added to the pan. As before I followed the recipe to the letter - everything chucked into a cold pan.

View attachment 1722452

Step 2

It formed a thick paste that needed regular stirring to cook through. Despite this the onions took forever to get vaguely soft. My tweak would have been to warm the pan, melt the butter and cook the onions for 5 mins before adding the other ingredients.

Tinned tomatoes, coconut milk, pinch of salt and around a teaspoon of black pepper added. Brought to the boil then reduced to a simmer.

View attachment 1722454

Step 3

Kidney beans, lentils and the remainder of the butter added. Simmered for 30 minutes. The method does not mention stirring at any point but because I'm a mitherer I went to stir it after 10 minutes. An unpleasant skin had developed over the top so I stirred it every 5 minutes after that. Had I just left it to simmer for 30 minutes it would have developed a skin thicker than a rhino. No time for this scumbag Frau to sit on her arse and watch Jeremey Kyle, meh

View attachment 1722455

Covered with foil and left to cool as per instructions, to be reheated later. This is not a 'cook and serve' recipe so probably best prepared the day before you want to eat it. This gave me plenty of time to watch Episode 9 of DKL where Jack honked her way through this recipe.

The Moment of Truth

As mentioned earlier, I hate coriander almost as much as I hate Jack's grifting. I bunged a bit of parsley on for presentation purposes only. No stunt hands available (Marigold of the hands had deflated and I couldn't be arsed to blow them up again).

View attachment 1722456

The Verdict

Ingredients - easy to source, brown lentils were a bit spenny 4/5
Recipe - straightforward and easy to follow, for once the ingredients included salt albeit only a "pinch" 4/5
Visual appeal - looks fine - just like any other daal 4/5
Texture - again, absolutely fine apartfrom the undercooked onions 4/5
Taste - Onions a bit undercooked but decent spicy kick 4/5

Overall
- well done, Jack a decent recipe with a decent result. Nice level of spice, The lentil to kidney bean ratio was not what I would expect from a dal makhani and it wasn't as creamy or buttery as it should be but this is a budget recipe and presumably not claiming to be authentic. Added some salt when eating it but I'm a smoker so not a major criticism. Onions were still slightly undercooked so if I made this again (probably won't, there's better, more authentic recipes out there) I'd cook them for a bit before adding the other ingredients.

Hold onto your chapeaus, Fraus - this gets a 4 from me.
Omfg an actually cheap and reasonably tasty meal. She must have copied it. It’s the only explanation.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.