Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well, that was an hour of my life I'll never get back.

Firstly I gathered up my ingredients. I had most things, and as I decided to cook the slop at my sisters, I borrowed some bits off her. Namely the cinnamon and two different types of vinegar - the recipe calls for 'oil' and 'vinegar' without specifying type. She only had a little bit of malt and a little apple cider, so those it was. All vinegars are interchangeable, right?
View attachment 1722097

Started off by peeling the garlic and slicing the onion. Into the cold 'oil' they went - the specification was 'a little' oil, but I put in enough to actually do the job of starting to soften the onions because I KNOW HOW TO COOK.
This seemed like a lot of onion.
View attachment 1722107
I cooked it til it was softening, then added SIX FAT CLOVES of garlic, unadorned. Then chucked in the elusive and wily aubergine (they must have been forewarned of their fate, RIP aubergine, go well lad) Then I added half a tsp of cinnamon, chilli flakes, cumin seeds and ONE EIGHTH of a teaspoon of fennel seeds wtf. Stirred.
View attachment 1722119
At this point I was instructed to add half a cup of water 'about 125ml' and 'crank up the heat' while I put the lentils on. There were no further instructions as to what to do with the mix while the lentils were cooking for 12 minutes. Lads, the water was immediately slurped up by the poor aubergine so I stirred like duck to stop it burning and wrecking my sisters pan. There was a pervasive smell of cinnamon in the air.
The lentils were also playing silly buggers - having been instructed to 'cover with water' which I did, no depth specified, they immediately absorbed it all in their efforts to produce their 'scum' (her words not mine) I had to add a lot more water 'covering' them was not enough.
View attachment 1722128
Lentils: scummy, but not as scummy as Jack.
Cooked lentils were rinsed like beans and then plopped in to the onion concoction which had been stirred to death.
View attachment 1722131
Stirred it all up like a pro and added the two tbsp of tomato puree, and the one of each vinegar. Cinnamon smell briefly replaced by chip shop smell.
View attachment 1722133
At this point the recipe says 'bring to the boil'. Bring what to the boil? This is not slop by any means. There's no liquid left, this is dryer than a Saharan Nun's hooha. I quote 'It should take 10 more minutes to meld into this glossy, orange, spicy goodness, and the liquid should thicken to an unctuous sauce.' WHAT LIQUID, JACK?! THERE IS NO bleeping LIQUID.
So I was forced to deviate from the recipe and I added half a pint of water.
View attachment 1722141
At least it looked a bit curry-ish at this point, though those garlic cloves were concerning me. Are we supposed to eat them like that? Hmm.
So I cooked it for another ten minutes, and this was the end result. Are you ready for your close up?
View attachment 1722144
Jack adds this stupid instruction at this point, and again I howl WHAT. LIQUID. HOW CAN IT BE TOO WATERY?!?!?!?!
View attachment 1722160
I portioned out half (though apparently this can serve four)
View attachment 1722145
My sister shrieked at the state of my nail in this pic, fraus how I laughed. It's pen. Authentic though right?

So then I had to try it. The first forkful was all onion. Crunchy onion. I could actually taste the chilli, so there's some warmth. That was about it though. I tried a bit of aubergine, it just mooshed in my mouth with a sad tasteless splat. All I was getting was chilli. Absolutely no flavour of curry. I managed another bit of onion, but wasn't even getting any of the cinnamon. My stomach started to hurt a bit at this point because of the amount of pretty much still raw onion.
Sister observed taste test and said 'I'm not eating that tit' and stormed out the house, returning with this!!!
Modelled by well kempt doggo Jasper. Jasper is salty as he is not allowed this delight and also he hasn't been near the kitchen to beg since I put the slop on (telling in itself!)
View attachment 1722166

Well. I used an online calculator to analyze this 'recipe'...
View attachment 1722172

It's not good, is it? 185 calories. duck you Jack, you'd need to eat TWO packets of microwave rice with this to make it up to say 650 calories. Even with the 'greedy' eating of half that's only 370 calories and it's ALL bleeping ONION.

My stomach is growling unhappily and I only had a few mouthfuls. The rest will be going in the bin. What a colossal waste of food and time and energy. I'm bleeping furious she's getting away with this. I can afford to now have another meal (thanks sis and Charlie B) but what if this was your only dinner option? Raging.

Score: 1 - dire.

I'd like to introduce 0 - dogshit, but if I was in dire straits, I could force myself to eat this, but I think it would make me ill. Also dogshit probably actually tastes like *something*.
Well played Flirtatious one, great job, and beautiful pooch too.
i love - actually LOVE this thread but it makes me so furious that people continue to buy into this tit, knowing it helps nobody.

nutritional content interesting too - especially as the calorie content is <200 per portion and Jack served hers with a portion of spinach after a 6m run. Very concerned this was allowed past an editor.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 39

Firstly I gathered up my ingredients. I had most things, and as I decided to cook the slop at my sisters, I borrowed some bits off her. Namely the cinnamon and two different types of vinegar - the recipe calls for 'oil' and 'vinegar' without specifying type. She only had a little bit of malt and a little apple cider, so those it was. All vinegars are interchangeable, right?
View attachment 1722097

Started off by peeling the garlic and slicing the onion. Into the cold 'oil' they went - the specification was 'a little' oil, but I put in enough to actually do the job of starting to soften the onions because I KNOW HOW TO COOK.
View attachment 1722107
I cooked it til it was softening, then added SIX FAT CLOVES of garlic, unadorned. Then chucked in the elusive and wily aubergine (they must have been forewarned of their fate, RIP aubergine, go well lad) Then I added half a tsp of cinnamon, chilli flakes, cumin seeds and ONE EIGHTH of a teaspoon of fennel seeds wtf. Stirred.
View attachment 1722119
At this point I was instructed to add half a cup of water 'about 125ml' and 'crank up the heat' while I put the lentils on. There were no further instructions as to what to do with the mix while the lentils were cooking for 12 minutes. Lads, the water was immediately slurped up by the poor aubergine so I stirred like duck to stop it burning and wrecking my sisters pan. There was a pervasive smell of cinnamon in the air.
The lentils were also playing silly buggers - having been instructed to 'cover with water' which I did, no depth specified, they immediately absorbed it all in their efforts to produce their 'scum' (her words not mine) I had to add a lot more water 'covering' them was not enough.
View attachment 1722128
Cooked lentils were rinsed like beans and then plopped in to the onion concoction which had been stirred to death.
View attachment 1722131
Stirred it all up like a pro and added the two tbsp of tomato puree, and the one of each vinegar. Cinnamon smell briefly replaced by chip shop smell.
View attachment 1722133
At this point the recipe says 'bring to the boil'. Bring what to the boil? This is not slop by any means. There's no liquid left, this is dryer than a Saharan Nun's hooha. I quote 'It should take 10 more minutes to meld into this glossy, orange, spicy goodness, and the liquid should thicken to an unctuous sauce.' WHAT LIQUID, JACK?! THERE IS NO bleeping LIQUID.
View attachment 1722141
At least it looked a bit curry-ish at this point, though those garlic cloves were concerning me. Are we supposed to eat them like that? Hmm.
So I cooked it for another ten minutes, and this was the end result. Are you ready for your close up?
View attachment 1722144
Jack adds this stupid instruction at this point, and again I howl WHAT. LIQUID. HOW CAN IT BE TOO WATERY?!?!?!?!
View attachment 1722160
View attachment 1722145
My sister shrieked at the state of my nail in this pic, fraus how I laughed. It's pen. Authentic though right?

So then I had to try it. The first forkful was all onion. Crunchy onion. I could actually taste the chilli, so there's some warmth. That was about it though. I tried a bit of aubergine, it just mooshed in my mouth with a sad tasteless splat. All I was getting was chilli. Absolutely no flavour of curry. I managed another bit of onion, but wasn't even getting any of the cinnamon. My stomach started to hurt a bit at this point because of the amount of pretty much still raw onion.
Sister observed taste test and said 'I'm not eating that tit' and stormed out the house, returning with this!!!
Modelled by well kempt doggo Jasper. Jasper is salty as he is not allowed this delight and also he hasn't been near the kitchen to beg since I put the slop on (telling in itself!)
View attachment 1722166

View attachment 1722172

It's not good, is it? 185 calories. duck you Jack, you'd need to eat TWO packets of microwave rice with this to make it up to say 650 calories. Even with the 'greedy' eating of half that's only 370 calories and it's ALL bleeping ONION.

My stomach is growling unhappily and I only had a few mouthfuls. The rest will be going in the bin. What a colossal waste of food and time and energy. I'm bleeping furious she's getting away with this. I can afford to now have another meal (thanks sis and Charlie B) but what if this was your only dinner option? Raging.

She's clearly missed a whole step here and possibly (hopefully?) an entire ingredient, like 3/4 pint of some sort of flavoursome stock. But she can't have made *this* and enjoyed it. There's no flavour just moutheat and sadness. This is a recipe made by someone who doesn't understand curry. It's bullshit she's read ANY curry book, because she'd know you need to cook raw spices to extract flavour. A little butter with the oil would have added flavour - and you need more than a little, again, for flavour and any hope of 'unctuous' sauce. This was even worse than I'd imagine it could have been.

I'd like to introduce 0 - dogshit, but if I was in dire straits, I could force myself to eat this, but I think it would make me ill. Also dogshit probably actually tastes like *something*.
ETA further thoughts in spoiler...

• Haha
Reactions: 13
That bread tho. 😩
I’m ready for another slop, I’m away this weekend but on annual leave Monday please no bread. Open to other suggestions 🤞🏻

• Haha
Reactions: 15

View attachment 1722097

View attachment 1722107
View attachment 1722119
View attachment 1722128
View attachment 1722131
View attachment 1722133
View attachment 1722141
View attachment 1722144
View attachment 1722160
View attachment 1722145

View attachment 1722166

View attachment 1722172

Another for the fantasy recipes - she never made this either. Waste of time and money again.

Also: unctuous means GREASY, you fool. It's not a good word to associate with food.

• Haha
Reactions: 30

View attachment 1722097

View attachment 1722107
View attachment 1722119
View attachment 1722128
View attachment 1722131
View attachment 1722133
View attachment 1722141
View attachment 1722144
View attachment 1722160
View attachment 1722145

View attachment 1722166

View attachment 1722172

That recipe is a crime against curry. I’ve seen better ones in student cookbooks.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
My slop is in the oven. It actually smells okay but I’m hedging my bets. Hope Jack forgives me for using THAT MAN’s salt.
70E31625-77C7-4CF6-91FF-17D217FEC9F7.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 35

View attachment 1722097

View attachment 1722107
View attachment 1722119
View attachment 1722128
View attachment 1722131
View attachment 1722133
View attachment 1722141
View attachment 1722144
View attachment 1722160
View attachment 1722145

View attachment 1722166

View attachment 1722172

I knew this was going to be bad but didn't expect it to be that bad. 3 whole onions! Plus you had to make 3 corrections to get the job done for oil then water twice, not good. It's supposed to be a vindaloo but that's just offensive.
Also 'motion' approved 👨‍⚖️🤣

Now hand over Jasper 🥰

You brave, brave man...😁
I would:
Lose the butter, use oil instead
Lose the onions (because I am not a heathen), use garlic
Lose 99% of the FENNEL SEEDS (I love fennel, but it's a spice/herb that takes no prisoners)
Add a pinch of origano if you are going for trad pizza sauce, basil at the end if you are going for double duty.
Basically, use a different recipe...😁
Good luck with part #2!
Thankyou HoC x
I think 20g of butter would have done the job and I only had olive oil not sunflower or 'groundnut' (peanut). Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen olive oil in her recipes.
It said to slice the onions but finely diced or chopped would be better for a sauce, not great big 2" pieces.
It's shocking the sauce has 1 whole tsp fennel seeds but FlirtyThirty's 'vindaloo' has only 1/8 tsp!

Utterly dire. I'll add this video to the media gallery because then we can have them in the wiki as well.
And thankyou for doing the Courgette, Sultana & Lemon Bread tender one x
Would you say both of these are a 1 - dire?

• Heart
Reactions: 27
That bread being cut sounds like me when I’m greedy goblin-ing my way through 2 packets of Hula Hoops

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Don't know if this has been said before but these threads are total slop and roll to me.😉

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.