Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do worry for Jack if she ever does experiment with dried beans. Undercooked kidney beans can make a person very ill.

Reactions: 21
I cannot get enough of this 5 minute thing, with Tom Cruise dressing

46C50E37-8195-4146-806C-7ECB1754CD76.jpeg
85FB8DC8-3186-4E03-ADC0-0DDEC4E11F68.jpeg

2B47BB42-2749-4449-B514-47B36CEAB028.jpeg

(FORENSIC!)
So I was a bit disappointed when I found out what this recipe actually was (a salad) as I wanted to make a proper slop.
I had all the ingredients already, so it was actually free to make 🤪
Cost using the very cheapest versions available at Tesco, as that’s where I shop: £1.68 (using Jack Maffs where you can buy 100g of frozen spinach for the same price per unit as a 900g bag).
Jack’s blog post states 60p but I guess that was a long time ago?

I did make a few substitutions:
Recipe only states “oil”, naturally I decided to use extra virgin olive oil as it’s a salad.
I only had cherry tomatoes so used those.
Recipe doesn’t specify the type of mustard so I used Colman’s.
Recipe states “fat cloves of garlic”, I thought 6 cloves between 2 people was quite enough already, so just used the 6 biggest ones I had. Also, she’s costed this using the cheapest garlic you can buy, but those bulbs are always tiny and you’d never get fat cloves.

On to the method!
Dressing first. I measured out the oil.
DC004D85-96D3-44D2-88A0-3A8070FE0D65.jpeg

It seemed like an awful lot.
Oh well, on with the other dressing ingredients:
B71BB5ED-63BF-464A-9C40-D09695654697.jpeg

Actual footage of me shaking the dressing:
AB68D8D3-E501-4686-B6B2-4165EAEB34FC.gif

Not really. (Still not sure what Tom Cruise has to do with it, must be because she’s such a MAVERICK smol pixie)
So I opened up the lid to check if it needed further shaking.
Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear
B66FA304-D115-4AF4-84AE-F53AD686E475.jpeg
It did get there in the end. That done, onto the meecrowavey:
5AC6DCE5-30D8-4821-81D7-EA3936684DE5.jpeg

And the obligatory rinsing pic:
EF2536AF-FF9C-4E15-BD40-3F9A8A6C862D.jpeg

Return to the meecrowavey. Jack says that cooking garlic in its pricked skins is a shortcut to roasted garlic.
No it is not.
DD6D6A73-AF15-4207-B65B-86A6986ABB78.jpeg

(Wine bottle for scale, these were not fat cloves, alas)
The garlic appeared shrivelled and not very soft.
Also Jack did not instruct me to drain the defrosted (hot) spinach - I didn’t want the salad to be swimming so I squeezed it out in the colander after I’d drained the chickpeas. I think maybe she made this once, with fresh spinach, then substituted frozen in the recipe to keep the cost down? A theme is emerging here Fraus… 🤔

I pressed on. Chopped the tomatoes and onion and chucked it all in a bowl:
9D77D7EA-69C3-415E-93D4-08BBB0D55065.jpeg

Time to stir! I was heating up food for my baby at the same time so I gave myself 50 seconds to toss it all together:
BAB55700-7EA1-46A4-AC95-8CA0152D6EE1.jpeg

(Baby’s lunch was looking more appetising at this point honestly)
Ingredients: 3. Absolutely solidly middle class.
Recipe: 1. A weird mix of vague and specific (what kind of oil?), missing instructions. I think she made it once, wrote it down from memory, tweaked some things to make it cheaper and never made it again.
Visual appeal: 3. It definitely isn’t an ovary groaner and I can’t say I ever want to greedily inhale salad, but it looks fine if you don’t look too closely and notice the garlic.
Texture: 3. Again, fine, mainly chickpeas and tomatoes and onion.
Taste: 2. Where to begin?! There is WAY too much raw onion. (She doesn’t specify the size of onion 🙄) Olive oil was too strong and made it taste bitter. I was worried about the peanut butter but couldn’t taste that really. I nibbled at the garlic and it tasted of nothing. I guess all the flavour evaporated in the microwave?
Essentially, it tasted of raw onion swimming in olive oil with the added texture of chickpeas.
How can something with so few ingredients, all of which are nice, be so wrong?
Overall: 2 - Terrible
When my OH got home I invited him to try “the slop”. I had only managed a few mouthfuls so there was nearly a whole bowlful for him.

Fraus, he declared it “pretty nice” but “way too much onion”.
I expressed surprise that he used the word “nice” and he said “maybe it would be better blended?”
🤣🤣🤣

At this point I opened the front door and booted him out. He’s now on his way to Southend with a couple of juicy burgers (or perhaps kebabs).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 104
That's the second really oniony recipe we've had? Sensing a theme here.

**Dials 1800 O N I O N to report directly**

• Haha
Reactions: 47
The chilli's done. The recipe was some what baffling as there's absolutely no bleeping timings (except boiling the tit out of beans for 10 mins) so I've had to use a bit of common sense- I have however followed the instructions EXACTLY to the letter. How can a recipe have no timings? Ludicrous.

Ingredients

View attachment 1714827

I had everything in except the wine and chocolate, or so I thought! I had failed at the first hurdle- the all important forensic stocktake. Oh well, beans is beans. We have pinto here instead of kidney. I ploughed on. I'm currently having a car chaos this week so I yomped to the village shop to pick up the wine (£7.95) and chocolate (95p). Definitely more expensive than it could of been, but not every one has access to Asda Jack, sue me. I also wanted to actually drink the wine.

A note here- wine and dark chocolate? Very bougie ingredients for a budget recipe. A brave squig flagged this in the website comments, to which Jack retorted her friends often brought round wine to her dinner parties, and she kept leftovers under the sink. We all know this is a complete fantasy.

Method

The first task for any discerning slop chef- bean rinsing. Here's the money shot.

View attachment 1714825

Rinsed baked beans and pinto beans went into a saucepan with cold water, Jack instructs a rapid boil for 10 minutes followed by a simmer for an unspecified time until they're soft. It struck me at this point perhaps she was getting her dried beans mixed up with her tinned, but I decided the less I thought about Jack's methods the better. Off they boiled.

View attachment 1714842

Whilst I committed the bean massacre, diced onion (no size specified, quelle surprise, so I went smallish) and chopped chilli went into a cold pan with oil. They were joined with - probably my aneurysm now - a 'shake' of paprika and cumin. Barely a smattering.

View attachment 1714871

Now the method here states cook these on a low heat. As the beans were well on their way to obliteration I cranked the heat up slightly to get them going, then lowered. Sounds obvious, but the recipe just doesn't tell you this. Once these were softened, as instructed I added the wine, toms and stock cube to the luke warm pan. I was losing patience here fraus.

It's time to check on the beans.

View attachment 1714884

They're back in the sink, colander's working overtime tonight. The baked beans have taken quite the battering but the pinto's are still holding their own. Into the pan they go.

View attachment 1714920

The dog disappeared at this point, there was a bad, cloying smell emitting from the pan. We cook on- I obediently stirred until the chocolate was melted. Time to serve!

View attachment 1714930

I divided the slop into quarters, and plated. Calories per person - 263. I fart-arsed about at this point creating this performative shot (what on earth did I need a knife for?). The chilli didn't move an inch, solid as a rock. The baked beans have dissolved into a thickening agent. PS. Sorry for the lack of props, I was DONE at this point. Jack provided no serving suggestion short of gormlessly sticking a spoon in her mouth so I popped it on a plate so you can scale it. Pathetic.

Taste

It tastes like beans in tomato sauce, like the ones I rinsed 45 minutes ago. It will come as no surprise to anyone that it tastes of NOTHING. The wine and chocolate are so performative it's laughable. The money you've spent on those ingredients could have been spent on cinnamon, garlic, oregano, crushed chilli flakes, maybe some mushrooms, a tin of sweetcorn, red peppers, smartprice cheddar.. it would be so much better and more nutritious. The wine and chocolate are lovely as a finishing touch in a middle class kitchen but a chilli holds up without them, get the basics right first FFS. It's thoughtless, I don't think more than 10 mins went into writing this recipe. Mumma Jack's best ever? Please.

Verdict

I would have given this a 2 as it's technically edible, but as I had to make up all the timings, it's getting a 1.5. It's a boring meal, completely uninspiring and not worth the 45 mins it took to make. I'm lucky I had the time and resources as an experiment, but I'd be pretty disheartened if I had to serve this to my family. I ate one portion and put the rest in a bowl for the fridge. Worth noting the bowl was the same size as the one Jack was holding on the website- so she's eating 3 portions of this in the photo. Granted food styling and photography isn't exactly accurate, and I wouldn't usually be arsed, but for a budget cook it's incredibly misleading to show triple the portion size as a standard portion.

Donations made to my local foodbank and a dog shelter close to my heart who are struggling with bills at the mo. I'll post the receipts later when I've worked out how to blank out the details.
Thoughts and prayers, dear heart, as a fellow recent inductee of the "These beans are already soft, you stupid bleep" Hall of Shame.

That photo of the chocolate sitting on top of the mushy rinsed beans is profoundly upsetting to me. Jack might call my reaction to it viscKeral.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Firstly i must add my voice to the chorus of fraus who have absolutely delighted in these threads over the past few days. Thank you one and all for your heroism and humour in the face of slop.

Secondly - is the gnocchi recipe meant to be a main course or a starter? It's not specified; courses are interchangeable I suppose, but 500g of potatoes and 100g of flour for four people would make a meagre starter indeed let alone a main course.
And has anyone ever tried to freeze gnocchi? I did - once. On defrosting it becomes a disgusting floury mush with the taste and integrity of wallpaper paste...o hang on. Of course Jack thinks it's ok to freeze.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
I'm still recovering from my Tinestrone ordeal on Sunday so thought I'd play some Animal Crossing to calm my nerves.

The first recipe bottle I found washed up on the beach was...this.

20221109_000037.jpg

Does the game want me to STOP BREATHING!?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 64
Firstly i must add my voice to the chorus of fraus who have absolutely delighted in these threads over the past few days. Thank you one and all for your heroism and humour in the face of slop.

Secondly - is the gnocchi recipe meant to be a main course or a starter? It's not specified; courses are interchangeable I suppose, but 500g of potatoes and 100g of flour for four people would make a meagre starter indeed let alone a main course.
And has anyone ever tried to freeze gnocchi? I did - once. On defrosting it becomes a disgusting floury mush with the taste and integrity of wallpaper paste...o hang on. Of course Jack thinks it's ok to freeze.
You can freeze them, but you have to seperate them with greaseproof paper. Which is a massive pain in the ass.
Also, gnocchi works well with instant mash, which is probably cheaper than using tinned potatoes.
I don't think she ever mentioned doing starters, but I suppose you wouldn't if you were skint. So every recipe would be intended as a main course.

Reactions: 16
Turns out, balsamic vinegar & seltzer isn't taking the world by storm, either. Who knew?

I just looked it up and seems Jack’s beloved ‘sister restaurant’ to which she’d apparently never been (but that inspired feats of fizzy vinegary repugnance) didn’t take Hoxton by storm either.
A419CBE5-6623-4FD9-9D5B-48D1E602BF41.jpeg

From the tinned potato gnocchi recipe. She thinks everyone who attempts her recipes has had their brain removed, doesn’t she?

EA8E4862-4F73-45CF-B0BE-8B7FDB40D4C7.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 29
Sister is out on Thursday night 🔺 so the coast is clear for my slop along contribution with no explanation required! Off to Lidl I yomp🔺.

As an aside, and soz if already suggested, but would it be worth tracking the contributions made to charity as part of this project? I don't think we should necessarily include details of individuals fraus, or even charities, but a running total might be nice. It would be so lovely to know, and is the kind of thing that could be picked up by MSM. Don't want to add more to @That Forensic Man's hefty workload however, and not volunteering myself (wouldn't have a clue, mate).

Also, I really like how donations have been suggested and volunteered by fraus with no pressure on others to do the same. Times are tough, my darlings.

What a lovely lot you are. 💝

Now, eff off xx
Good luck tender one x
To keep track of donations I could add a column to the wiki just so we can tot them up as we go, and backfill before it gets too big of a job.
I'm going to do some work splitting the rows so each slop is on it's own row, rather than having multiple on one frau's row.
Today I donated £10 to one charity and 10p to another (I pressed the wrong button on the self scan, do you want me to stop DONATING) so my forthcoming slop is covered, or it will be when I donate that second tenner.
I'm really looking forward to doing the pizza dough so if it all goes microwave pear-shaped I'll be gutted.
Bought some mozzerella and chorizo and a sieve so updated my costings. Apparently softing my flours will improve the crumb structure, and I do like to do things properly.

1667957889746.png

Unf*ckupable wholemeal pizza dough
120g wholemeal flour, 8p (95p/1.5kg) - actual 23p (£1.95/1kg)
120g plain flour, 5p (Basics, 55p/1.5kg) - actual 19p (£1.60/1kg)
5g dried active yeast, 2p (65p/125g) - actual 5p (£1.20/125g)
1/2 tsp salt (optional) - larder
1 tbsp oil (sunflower or vegetable oil) - larder (olive oil)

Serves 4 at 5p each - actual 12p each (we'll see if it actually serves 4)
Extras: rolling pin £1.75, sieve £2.50
Spent £9.00

Birthday pizza sauce
4 fat cloves of garlic or 6 smaller ones - larder
1 onion - 17p (£1.00/kg)
50g butter or 50ml oil, sunflower or groundnut - refrigerated larder
1 teaspoon fennel seeds - £1.00/36g pot
a fistful of flat-leaf parsley - £1.00/11g pot
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar - 95p/350ml
1 tablespoon sugar - £1.70/1kg
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes - larder (2x 500g passata)
2 tablespoons tomato puree - larder
a generous pinch of salt - larder

Makes a very large jar (so hopefully it's edible)
Extras: Crushed chillies 85p/28g pot - these were for a different Jack sauce I was considering so bought in error
Spent £5.67

Pizza toppings
grated mozzarella £2.20
diced chorizo £2.65
Spent £4.85

Total spent: £19.52

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 38
Good luck tender one x
To keep track of donations I could add a column to the wiki just so we can tot them up as we go, and backfill before it gets too big of a job.
I'm going to do some work splitting the rows so each slop is on it's own row, rather than having multiple on one frau's row.
Today I donated £10 to one charity and 10p to another (I pressed the wrong button on the self scan, do you want me to stop DONATING) so my forthcoming slop is covered, or it will be when I donate that second tenner.
I'm really looking forward to doing the pizza dough so if it all goes microwave pear-shaped I'll be gutted.
Bought some mozzerella and chorizo and a sieve so updated my costings. Apparently softing my flours will improve the crumb structure, and I do like to do things properly.

View attachment 1715817

Unf*ckupable wholemeal pizza dough
120g wholemeal flour, 8p (95p/1.5kg) - actual 23p (£1.95/1kg)
120g plain flour, 5p (Basics, 55p/1.5kg) - actual 19p (£1.60/1kg)
5g dried active yeast, 2p (65p/125g) - actual 5p (£1.20/125g)
1/2 tsp salt (optional) - larder
1 tbsp oil (sunflower or vegetable oil) - larder (olive oil)

Serves 4 at 5p each - actual 12p each (we'll see if it actually serves 4)
Extras: rolling pin £1.75, sieve £2.50
Spent £9.00

Birthday pizza sauce
4 fat cloves of garlic or 6 smaller ones - larder
1 onion - 17p (£1.00/kg)
50g butter or 50ml oil, sunflower or groundnut - refrigerated larder
1 teaspoon fennel seeds - £1.00/36g pot
a fistful of flat-leaf parsley - £1.00/11g pot
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar - 95p/350ml
1 tablespoon sugar - £1.70/1kg
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes - larder (2x 500g passata)
2 tablespoons tomato puree - larder
a generous pinch of salt - larder

Makes a very large jar (so hopefully it's edible)
Extras: Crushed chillies 85p/28g pot - these were for a different Jack sauce I was considering so bought in error
Spent £5.67

Pizza toppings
grated mozzarella £2.20
diced chorizo £2.65
Spent £4.85

Total spent: £19.52
Are you a person who likes “to soft their flour and other ingredients together”? Is ‘softing’ like sifting, but for people who are not LITERAL FOOD EXPERTS and don’t just want to ‘ram a pizza in their gob’

Does nobody proofread any of her nonsense? Also, will you please share your experiences of the “nuances of a crumb structure” because all I’m picturing
0D6AA767-633B-49F6-A428-D8A022EFBD44.jpeg
C099B9BA-641E-488E-9649-65E830A541A9.jpeg
BAD3650A-D661-4624-AA44-1A4C48A92DE2.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 25
@BlairWaldorf86
04135FF4-6630-4248-B650-6B1D037DD62E.jpeg

Hmmmmmm maggots 🙂

Fraus it’s the day of the sausagne, I’ve just realised that since my recipe is in video form I’m going to have to listen to her voice multiple times. Don’t pray for me, I’m already dead.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
You can freeze them, but you have to seperate them with greaseproof paper. Which is a massive pain in the ass.
Also, gnocchi works well with instant mash, which is probably cheaper than using tinned potatoes.
I don't think she ever mentioned doing starters, but I suppose you wouldn't if you were skint. So every recipe would be intended as a main course.
And even then you're only supposed to do that with uncooked gnocchi, right? I Googled after the fact to see if it was a common problem and was immediately confronted with result after result saying not to freeze cooked gnocchi as it loses it's texture on defrosting. Jack strikes again, flying in the face of all accepted food wisdom like the Maverick smol pixie absolute plonker that she is.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I struggled to know which reaction emoji to use for this but the dog taking offence to the smell made me laugh so that cinched it. A genuinely excellent and tasty vegan chilli recipe can be found in Anna Jones’ book A Modern Way To Eat.
Oh dear someone sent out the Bat Signal so here I am popping up YET AGAIN with my favourite chilli recipe. Sorry but I'm properly evangelical about it. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/burnt-aubergine-veggie-chilli

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.