Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The chilli's done. The recipe was some what baffling as there's absolutely no bleeping timings (except boiling the tit out of beans for 10 mins) so I've had to use a bit of common sense- I have however followed the instructions EXACTLY to the letter. How can a recipe have no timings? Ludicrous.

Ingredients

2022-11-08_18-54-54.png

I had everything in except the wine and chocolate, or so I thought! I had failed at the first hurdle- the all important forensic stocktake. Oh well, beans is beans. We have pinto here instead of kidney. I ploughed on. I'm currently having a car chaos this week so I yomped to the village shop to pick up the wine (£7.95) and chocolate (95p). Definitely more expensive than it could of been, but not every one has access to Asda Jack, sue me. I also wanted to actually drink the wine.

A note here- wine and dark chocolate? Very bougie ingredients for a budget recipe. A brave squig flagged this in the website comments, to which Jack retorted her friends often brought round wine to her dinner parties, and she kept leftovers under the sink. We all know this is a complete fantasy.

Method

The first task for any discerning slop chef- bean rinsing. Here's the money shot.

2022-11-08_19-18-09.png

Rinsed baked beans and pinto beans went into a saucepan with cold water, Jack instructs a rapid boil for 10 minutes followed by a simmer for an unspecified time until they're soft. It struck me at this point perhaps she was getting her dried beans mixed up with her tinned, but I decided the less I thought about Jack's methods the better. Off they boiled.

2022-11-08_19-25-11.png

Whilst I committed the bean massacre, diced onion (no size specified, quelle surprise, so I went smallish) and chopped chilli went into a cold pan with oil. They were joined with - probably my aneurysm now - a 'shake' of paprika and cumin. Barely a smattering.

2022-11-08_18-46-50.png

Now the method here states cook these on a low heat. As the beans were well on their way to obliteration I cranked the heat up slightly to get them going, then lowered. Sounds obvious, but the recipe just doesn't tell you this. Once these were softened, as instructed I added the wine, toms and stock cube to the luke warm pan. I was losing patience here fraus.

It's time to check on the beans.

2022-11-08_18-45-23.png

They're back in the sink, colander's working overtime tonight. The baked beans have taken quite the battering but the pinto's are still holding their own. Into the pan they go.

2022-11-08_18-43-49.png

The dog disappeared at this point, there was a bad, cloying smell emitting from the pan. We cook on- I obediently stirred until the chocolate was melted. Time to serve!

2022-11-08_18-46-06.png

I divided the slop into quarters, and plated. Calories per person - 263. I fart-arsed about at this point creating this performative shot (what on earth did I need a knife for?). The chilli didn't move an inch, solid as a rock. The baked beans have dissolved into a thickening agent. PS. Sorry for the lack of props, I was DONE at this point. Jack provided no serving suggestion short of gormlessly sticking a spoon in her mouth so I popped it on a plate so you can scale it. Pathetic.

Taste

It tastes like beans in tomato sauce, like the ones I rinsed 45 minutes ago. It will come as no surprise to anyone that it tastes of NOTHING. The wine and chocolate are so performative it's laughable. The money you've spent on those ingredients could have been spent on cinnamon, garlic, oregano, crushed chilli flakes, maybe some mushrooms, a tin of sweetcorn, red peppers, smartprice cheddar.. it would be so much better and more nutritious. The wine and chocolate are lovely as a finishing touch in a middle class kitchen but a chilli holds up without them, get the basics right first FFS. It's thoughtless, I don't think more than 10 mins went into writing this recipe. Mumma Jack's best ever? Please.

Verdict

I would have given this a 2 as it's technically edible, but as I had to make up all the timings, it's getting a 1.5. It's a boring meal, completely uninspiring and not worth the 45 mins it took to make. I'm lucky I had the time and resources as an experiment, but I'd be pretty disheartened if I had to serve this to my family. I ate one portion and put the rest in a bowl for the fridge. Worth noting the bowl was the same size as the one Jack was holding on the website- so she's eating 3 portions of this in the photo. Granted food styling and photography isn't exactly accurate, and I wouldn't usually be arsed, but for a budget cook it's incredibly misleading to show triple the portion size as a standard portion.

Donations made to my local foodbank and a dog shelter close to my heart who are struggling with bills at the mo. I'll post the receipts later when I've worked out how to blank out the details.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 108
The chilli's done. The recipe was some what baffling as there's absolutely no bleeping timings (except boiling the tit out of beans for 10 mins) so I've had to use a bit of common sense- I have however followed the instructions EXACTLY to the letter. How can a recipe have no timings? Ludicrous.

Ingredients

View attachment 1714827

I had everything in except the wine and chocolate, or so I thought! I had failed at the first hurdle- the all important forensic stocktake. Oh well, beans is beans. We have pinto here instead of kidney. I ploughed on. I'm currently having a car chaos this week so I yomped to the village shop to pick up the wine (£7.95) and chocolate (95p). Definitely more expensive than it could of been, but not every one has access to Asda Jack, sue me. I also wanted to actually drink the wine.

A note here- wine and dark chocolate? Very bougie ingredients for a budget recipe. A brave squig flagged this in the website comments, to which Jack retorted her friends often brought round wine to her dinner parties, and she kept leftovers under the sink. We all know this is a complete fantasy.

Method

The first task for any discerning slop chef- bean rinsing. Here's the money shot.

View attachment 1714825

Rinsed baked beans and pinto beans went into a saucepan with cold water, Jack instructs a rapid boil for 10 minutes followed by a simmer for an unspecified time until they're soft. It struck me at this point perhaps she was getting her dried beans mixed up with her tinned, but I decided the less I thought about Jack's methods the better. Off they boiled.

View attachment 1714842

Whilst I committed the bean massacre, diced onion (no size specified, quelle surprise, so I went smallish) and chopped chilli went into a cold pan with oil. They were joined with - probably my aneurysm now - a 'shake' of paprika and cumin. Barely a smattering.

View attachment 1714871

Now the method here states cook these on a low heat. As the beans were well on their way to obliteration I cranked the heat up slightly to get them going, then lowered. Sounds obvious, but the recipe just doesn't tell you this. Once these were softened, as instructed I added the wine, toms and stock cube to the luke warm pan. I was losing patience here fraus.

View attachment 1714884

They're back in the sink, colander's working overtime tonight. The baked beans have taken quite the battering but the pinto's are still holding their own. Into the pan they go.

View attachment 1714920

The dog disappeared at this point, there was a bad, cloying smell emitting from the pan. We cook on- I obediently stirred until the chocolate was melted. Time to serve!

View attachment 1714930

I divided the slop into quarters, and plated. Calories per person - 263. I fart-arsed about at this point creating this performative shot (what on earth did I need a knife for?). The chilli didn't move an inch, solid as a rock. The baked beans have dissolved into a thickening agent. PS. Sorry for the lack of props, I was DONE at this point. Jack provided no serving suggestion short of gormlessly sticking a spoon in her mouth so I popped it on a plate so you can scale it. Pathetic.

Taste

It tastes like beans in tomato sauce, like the ones I rinsed 45 minutes ago. It will come as no surprise to anyone that it tastes of NOTHING. The wine and chocolate are so performative it's laughable. The money you've spent on those ingredients could have been spent on cinnamon, garlic, oregano, crushed chilli flakes, maybe some mushrooms, a tin of sweetcorn, red peppers, smartprice cheddar.. it would be so much better and more nutritious. The wine and chocolate are lovely as a finishing touch in a middle class kitchen but a chilli holds up without them, get the basics right first FFS. It's thoughtless, I don't think more than 10 mins went into writing this recipe. Mumma Jack's best ever? Please.

Verdict

I would have given this a 2 as it's technically edible, but as I had to make up all the timings, it's getting a 1.5. It's a boring meal, completely uninspiring and not worth the 45 mins it took to make. I'm lucky I had the time and resources as an experiment, but I'd be pretty disheartened if I had to serve this to my family. I ate one portion and put the rest in a bowl for the fridge. Worth noting the bowl was the same size as the one Jack was holding on the website- so she's eating 3 portions of this in the photo. Granted food styling and photography isn't exactly accurate, and I wouldn't usually be arsed, but for a budget cook it's incredibly misleading to show triple the portion size as a standard portion.

Donations made to my local foodbank and a dog shelter close to my heart who are struggling with bills at the mo. I'll post the receipts later when I've worked out how to blank out the details.
I struggled to know which reaction emoji to use for this but the dog taking offence to the smell made me laugh so that cinched it. A genuinely excellent and tasty vegan chilli recipe can be found in Anna Jones’ book A Modern Way To Eat.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 42

Ingredients

View attachment 1714827

Method

View attachment 1714825

View attachment 1714842

View attachment 1714871

View attachment 1714884

View attachment 1714920

View attachment 1714930

Taste

Verdict

Has she ever actually cooked with dried beans, I wonder? It's as if she's stolen an original recipe written with dried beans in mind, and has simply substituted in canned ones without realising that they've already been cooked.

Reactions: 44
Has she ever actually cooked with dried beans, I wonder? It's as if she's stolen an original recipe written with dried beans in mind, and has simply substituted in canned ones without realising that they've already been cooked.
It does seem like it, because the lengthy "softening" of baked beans - well, it's my aneurysm.

The clue is in the name, Jack.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
100%. She's cut and shut that not from another recipe. And doubly weird because Gordon's recipe that this is allegedly nicked from, uses tinned kidney beans, which only need heating. SHE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND BEANS argh what kind of budget cook even is she???

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Hot and spicy, oh dear. Then again Jack is the person who puts 1 tsp chilli flakes in a VINDALOO and nothing else 🤯
This comparison shot might be one of the worst as well, notice Jack's spoon to bowl size ratio here.
Could (must?) her version be fake?

View attachment 1712584View attachment 1712586

The thing that's really starting to irk me is the number of times her recipes are just plain WRONG in what they say e.g. "hot eggy mess" (despite the eggs being stone cold) or "hot and spicy" (despite the only heat or spices coming from 1/4 tsp chilli flakes).
She does proper war food doesn't she. Narry a spice, everything shackled in an unholy union with tit it has no business being with. Courgette in cake cos the luftwaffe bombed the sugar.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Hello, and welcome to November, everyone! Several years ago, Old Harold and I spent a lovely New Year in Asheville, North Carolina. I have also been eating with FRIENDS (because I have them) at a restaurant I introduced them to that has a sister restaurant that does drinks. I should mention that I sometimes visit the first restaurant to have meetings also. Or even just lunch.

Anyway, turns out that tonic water, sparkling water and soda water are interchangeable, as are all sorts of vinegars.
Because Jack Kindly told me, and before you all think I’ve gone bonkers, I thought I’d try a Jack-inspired typically self absorbed, nonsensical and self important preamble to my slopalong: beverage version here
VINEGAR TONIC (OR SODA WATER OR SPARKLING WATER) SLOPALONG

My Old Harold is not a chef, just a simple first responder like jacks dad, but in less humiliating trousers. Fortunately however, Jack reassures all us plebs that we don’t have to have FANCY vinegars and just a simple red or a cider is fine for the likes of us, then later lists other things we might have in like white vinegar, or we can go wild in the vinegar aisle, whatever, really. I’m just going to go with what I have in.
The Vessel: Jack prefers a tall glass but reassures me that any glass will do. I decide to go with these three from Anthropologie which I (from left to right) 1. Found in a puddle 2. Bought in a “thrift store” 3. A friend left on my doorstep
View attachment 1714630
Please note that as I had no £44 display wallpaper knocking around the place I have made a lovely background on my tiny desk ikea lack out of a creased ikea tea towel and a creased Target napkin.

The Vinegars and Water: Disappointingly not Chef-standard I have in white vinegar that Harold uses to pickle his jalapeños (ooh, Matron!) and Apple Cider vinegar that I am currently using to catch fruit flies in my kitchen (🤬, but I digress). Feeling sad that Jack’s metropolitan elite celebrity vinegars are out of my reach.
View attachment 1714664
View attachment 1714667
IT’S GOURMET according to the label. I can be like Jack (and probably not actually Leggy who I believe to be too sensible to be indulging her twit of a fiancée in this tasting endeavor) with my fancy vinegar after all! I also have a fancy water! As tonic, soda and sparkling are interchangeable I’ll have a FANCY fizzy La Croix also
View attachment 1714669
Because I’m not a maniac I’m going to shrink down Jack’s recommended dosage, mostly because I don’t want fake Drs Gillian McKeith OR Jack Monroe “coming all over on me”. I split the can into approximate thirds then measure in approximately 1/3 of Jack’s recommended vinegar dose.

I managed to overpour on each one because I am not a LITERAL FOOD EXPERT. Apart from a tinge in the malt glass, you’ll have to take my word that the vinegars are in there, but you can trust me because I’m not a liar, thief, grifter or complete bleep
View attachment 1714692

Two down, one to go. I did the Jack- recommend white first. It was SO bleeping RANK (literally, it just tasted of nothing other than vinegar that someone had stuck in a soda stream). I immediately grabbed the GOURMET malt which Jack did not mention in her recommends and it was…surprisingly palatable. It made me long for UK chips. In a fizzy way. I mean, I wouldn’t drink a ton of the stuff, or even drink it again, but it was doable and nostalgic. Nostalgic like long ago Calpol of 1970s childhoods, only vinegary, and with fizz.
View attachment 1714697
Apple cider vinegar just tasted like apple cider vinegar, with fizz. i.e. bleeping Rank. I don’t even mind the taste of apple cider vinegar but the addition of fizz is a definite no. WARNED. Proof I drank all three, though I appeared to have left some residue in the apple cider one Oopsie!
View attachment 1714719Verdict: 1-Dire. If they were seriously necking this stuff, it must have been bleeping snowing in Hammersmith that night. I will note though that it’s one thing for us plebs, the VILE apple cider and white, and another for GOURMETS like Jack and Leggy. I felt my nostalgic trip down GOURMET malt vinegar memory lane to chip shops of yore saved this endeavor, and shall try this again with a bottle of Sarson’s next time I’m back in good old Blighty.

Don’t try this at home, tender ones.
Turns out, balsamic vinegar & seltzer isn't taking the world by storm, either. Who knew?

• Haha
Reactions: 17
A baked bean blogger with no idea how to cook beans? So far so Jack

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35

Ingredients

View attachment 1714827

Method

View attachment 1714825

View attachment 1714842

View attachment 1714871

View attachment 1714884

View attachment 1714920

View attachment 1714930

Taste

Verdict

Dear heart. This write up deserves the Pulitzer prize.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Hello, and welcome to November, everyone! Several years ago, Old Harold and I spent a lovely New Year in Asheville, North Carolina. I have also been eating with FRIENDS (because I have them) at a restaurant I introduced them to that has a sister restaurant that does drinks. I should mention that I sometimes visit the first restaurant to have meetings also. Or even just lunch.

Anyway, turns out that tonic water, sparkling water and soda water are interchangeable, as are all sorts of vinegars.
Because Jack Kindly told me, and before you all think I’ve gone bonkers, I thought I’d try a Jack-inspired typically self absorbed, nonsensical and self important preamble to my slopalong: beverage version here

My Old Harold is not a chef, just a simple first responder like jacks dad, but in less humiliating trousers. Fortunately however, Jack reassures all us plebs that we don’t have to have FANCY vinegars and just a simple red or a cider is fine for the likes of us, then later lists other things we might have in like white vinegar, or we can go wild in the vinegar aisle, whatever, really. I’m just going to go with what I have in.
The Vessel: Jack prefers a tall glass but reassures me that any glass will do. I decide to go with these three from Anthropologie which I (from left to right) 1. Found in a puddle 2. Bought in a “thrift store” 3. A friend left on my doorstep
View attachment 1714630
Please note that as I had no £44 display wallpaper knocking around the place I have made a lovely background on my tiny desk ikea lack out of a creased ikea tea towel and a creased Target napkin.

The Vinegars and Water: Disappointingly not Chef-standard I have in white vinegar that Harold uses to pickle his jalapeños (ooh, Matron!) and Apple Cider vinegar that I am currently using to catch fruit flies in my kitchen (🤬, but I digress). Feeling sad that Jack’s metropolitan elite celebrity vinegars are out of my reach.
View attachment 1714664
View attachment 1714667
IT’S GOURMET according to the label. I can be like Jack (and probably not actually Leggy who I believe to be too sensible to be indulging her twit of a fiancée in this tasting endeavor) with my fancy vinegar after all! I also have a fancy water! As tonic, soda and sparkling are interchangeable I’ll have a FANCY fizzy La Croix also
View attachment 1714669
Because I’m not a maniac I’m going to shrink down Jack’s recommended dosage, mostly because I don’t want fake Drs Gillian McKeith OR Jack Monroe “coming all over on me”. I split the can into approximate thirds then measure in approximately 1/3 of Jack’s recommended vinegar dose.

I managed to overpour on each one because I am not a LITERAL FOOD EXPERT. Apart from a tinge in the malt glass, you’ll have to take my word that the vinegars are in there, but you can trust me because I’m not a liar, thief, grifter or complete bleep
View attachment 1714692

Two down, one to go. I did the Jack- recommend white first. It was SO bleeping RANK (literally, it just tasted of nothing other than vinegar that someone had stuck in a soda stream). I immediately grabbed the GOURMET malt which Jack did not mention in her recommends and it was…surprisingly palatable. It made me long for UK chips. In a fizzy way. I mean, I wouldn’t drink a ton of the stuff, or even drink it again, but it was doable and nostalgic. Nostalgic like long ago Calpol of 1970s childhoods, only vinegary, and with fizz.
View attachment 1714697
Apple cider vinegar just tasted like apple cider vinegar, with fizz. i.e. bleeping Rank. I don’t even mind the taste of apple cider vinegar but the addition of fizz is a definite no. WARNED. Proof I drank all three, though I appeared to have left some residue in the apple cider one Oopsie!
View attachment 1714719Verdict: 1-Dire. If they were seriously necking this stuff, it must have been bleeping snowing in Hammersmith that night. I will note though that it’s one thing for us plebs, the VILE apple cider and white, and another for GOURMETS like Jack and Leggy. I felt my nostalgic trip down GOURMET malt vinegar memory lane to chip shops of yore saved this endeavor, and shall try this again with a bottle of Sarson’s next time I’m back in good old Blighty.

You're a hero, @Valiofthedolls!😁
I do a no gin G&T with lime cordial, fancy Aromatic tonic water from FeverTree and Indian Tonic Water as a no booze thing and it's lush.😁
She has no blooming idea.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Thought it was time I did a hecking big de-lurk. I’ve been 🦉&🍾following the JM threads pretty much on and off from the start. I was one of those people who sent JM money when I could ill afford it, thinking that I was helping a single mum who was in a DIRE situation. I also, due to fear of Brexit shortages of fresh food (stirred up by our small pixie which now makes me think her she was putting the frighteners on to ensure more sales) bought A Girl Called Jack - and to my shame later on Tin Can Cook - and this thread has brought back the memory of attempting the tinned potato gnocchi recipe from AGCJ (I think - all slop books are interchangeable). As I am now in a much better place, I would be happy to recreate this tit show of a recipe if anyone has it to hand, as I parted ways with both books as soon as I realised what a shady grifter they were and that it wasn’t my normally decent cooking skills having a wobble but instead a thoroughly unusable recipe in a book of thoroughly unusable recipes.
What grates my mushrooms the most is that if she is exposed, properly, in the MSM, the usual suspects in government and the media will be able to use her as a benchmark for people that are genuinely struggling “they are making it all up just like that Jack Monroe!” and justify doing the minimum to help people truly in need. Every grifter who uses made up, exaggerated tales of woe to create a platform and take money mined from empathy, makes it 1000 times harder for people that genuinely need help.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 85

Ingredients

View attachment 1714827

Method

View attachment 1714825

View attachment 1714842

View attachment 1714871

View attachment 1714884

View attachment 1714920

View attachment 1714930

Taste

Verdict

Dearheart, didn't you clap and declare Mumma Jack's chilli the bestest ever?! I am shocked (not).

• Haha
Reactions: 33

Ingredients

View attachment 1714827

Method

View attachment 1714825

View attachment 1714842

View attachment 1714871

View attachment 1714884

View attachment 1714920

View attachment 1714930

Taste

Verdict

This ‘recipe’ may be my slop aneurism. That’s not a bleeping chilli. It’s a bowl of mushy beans.

• Haha
Reactions: 50

View attachment 1714630

View attachment 1714664
View attachment 1714667
View attachment 1714669

View attachment 1714692

View attachment 1714697

That's a rip off of the slimming world idea of fake Pimm's which is balsamic vinegar, lemonade and lots of fruit

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
Thought it was time I did a hecking big de-lurk. I’ve been 🦉&🍾following the JM threads pretty much on and off from the start. I was one of those people who sent JM money when I could ill afford it, thinking that I was helping a single mum who was in a DIRE situation. I also, due to fear of Brexit shortages of fresh food (stirred up by our small pixie which now makes me think her she was putting the frighteners on to ensure more sales) bought A Girl Called Jack - and to my shame later on Tin Can Cook - and this thread has brought back the memory of attempting the tinned potato gnocchi recipe from AGCJ (I think - all slop books are interchangeable). As I am now in a much better place, I would be happy to recreate this tit show of a recipe if anyone has it to hand, as I parted ways with both books as soon as I realised what a shady grifter they were and that it wasn’t my normally decent cooking skills having a wobble but instead a thoroughly unusable recipe in a book of thoroughly unusable recipes.
Welcome dear heart. I'm so sorry you were mugged off by Jack, both by sending her money and buying her dreadful cook books. Lovely to hear you are in a better place now x

Yes please to recreating the tinned potato gnocchi, it sounds wonderfully dire.

Just to add, your usename is magnificent <tips chapeau>

1667943970251.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
100%. She's cut and shut that not from another recipe. And doubly weird because Gordon's recipe that this is allegedly nicked from, uses tinned kidney beans, which only need heating. SHE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND BEANS argh what kind of budget cook even is she???
Look lads I know it's early but I vote SHE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND BEANS for next thread title. Can't identify them, can't spell them, can't cook them. As a vegan this is an insult to my people.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 79
I struggled to know which reaction emoji to use for this but the dog taking offence to the smell made me laugh so that cinched it. A genuinely excellent and tasty vegan chilli recipe can be found in Anna Jones’ book A Modern Way To Eat.
Well done @NobblyBobbly a heroic effort.
I’ve shared before but always worth sharing again. This is the only veggie chilli worth cooking in my opinion. I use tinned beans because I can’t be bothered with dried, I don’t have masa harina and although I have cornflour I don’t add it to this dish and it is 🤌🏻🤌🏻 Every time.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I love Anna Jones! I have A Modern Way to Cook, use it a lot. My mum has that book so I'll dig out the recipe, I have a hankering for a chilli, not the bean block currently solidifying in the fridge.

• Sick
Reactions: 12
Well done @NobblyBobbly a heroic effort.
I’ve shared before but always worth sharing again. This is the only veggie chilli worth cooking in my opinion. I use tinned beans because I can’t be bothered with dried, I don’t have masa harina and although I have cornflour I don’t add it to this dish and it is 🤌🏻🤌🏻 Every time.
I love the look of this. Funnily enough I've never really cooked chilli, after tonight's disaster I have 2 recipes to try! The best thing about Jack is these threads :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.