Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Two-ingredient Cake: today’s the day! :m

This will be tough, my darlings, but so am I🥰

I unscrewed my lightbulb for maximum authenticity when I took the photo of the recipe. Hope y’all appreciate my FORENSIC attention to detail here.

See you on the other side! TOOT TOOT💪
B9C681CE-D697-4B2C-86D2-6410750982A4.jpeg
B923D6A2-BA2F-4C93-830C-D8AB4B56E6CE.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 44
That looks delicious. I am going to have this for my breakfast this morning if I ever manage to get out from underneath the ill child who has been awake since 1am.
Oh, wishing you and Cry baby well!

give the eggs a good ten minutes from boiling point. You could probably do them for less than this but tbh, everyone’s kitchen temperature is different and I prefer the eggs hard boiled rather than clucking like Jack’s.

• Haha
Reactions: 19

I unscrewed my lightbulb for maximum authenticity when I took the photo of the recipe. Hope y’all appreciate my FORENSIC attention to detail here.

View attachment 1710910View attachment 1710911
Why? Why would you do this? Why would you use custard? Why would you use a cake mix? WHY!!!

Also, god help me, if you want to make a 2 ingredient cake using a cake mix you can make the cake mix up with lemonade. It’s a whole thing people do. https://www.bettycrocker.com/bettylab/learn-about-cake-baking-with-soda-pop

Does anyone want to tackle Mumma Jack’s BEST EVER Chilli?
This is the Ramsey version she’s utterly bastardizing with her bizarre ideas of ingredients, “cooking” and her bean rinsing. Compare and contrast the cooking techniques!
His comes together quickly, and starts with hot oil. You could leave out fresh tomatoes, sour cream and a couple of other things to make it cheaper without compromising on flavour too much.

I have to think that his might actually work out cheaper than hers as it’s more filling and would stretch a lot further. Oh and wouldn’t be a disgusting mess of soggy beans and undercooked onions with a slightest hint of cumin and paprika from the “shake” of both.
I don’t understand how her chilli is based on his recipe. She’s taken everything good out. And a shake of paprika is going to make for the blandest chilli ever, even with that fresh chilli. I could make this because we eat bean chilli a lot, but it would make me too pissed off.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Good morning fraus
Pickin' Balls
The name Pickin' Balls fascinated and disgusted me in equal parts. Why would someone name a dish after men scratching their genitalia? The recipe was also unlike anything I had ever read; the thoughts of grating spam haunting me as I carted the can up and down the country. Having dumped my bags contents on my bed Saturday night the can was one of the last things I saw, and what I woke up to the next morning. I decided to eat the frog.
IMG_20221106_113509.jpg

The tin of spam was 300g instead of 340g but I took that as a blessing.
It was impossible to find tinned chicken in white sauce in Ireland so I settled for tinned chicken curry from M&S. Initially I was concerned the curry might affect the balls taste, but dear reader, I shouldn't have worried.
I didn't want to buy a slice pan for 2 slices of bread that were considered optional, so I decided I'd grate some of my bread roll (for lunch) if it was needed.
The tin of pineapples was double the size so I weighed out the equivalent of a 200g tin.
She didn't mention what vinegar to use so I just used malt.
I also used some flour for dusting which I had completely forgotten about until I stuck them in the oven and had to take them back out to dust
Spam: €2.49
Chicken: €4.40 but this is something you can get for cheaper in the UK
Pineapple: €1.09 - used slightly less than half of the tin so 50c
Tomatoes: €1.39 for 4 tins so 35c
The rest was in my cupboard so FREE (I think it would be about an extra €5)
TOTAL SPENT: €8.33
FOR RECIPE: €7.74
They took 30 minutes in the oven at 160°, and 20 minutes on the hob.
Screenshot_20221107_080504_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

I scooped out the bits of chicken from the curry and removed the spam. I heated up the curry separately and it was decent, might be a good one for posh store cupboards.
Screenshot_20221107_080529_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Rinsed the chicken
Screenshot_20221107_080616_com.huawei.himovie.overseas_edit_47569328472428.jpg

Grated the spam. I cannot express how much psychic damage I took from this. The texture was disgusting. I chopped up the bits that I couldn't grate.
Screenshot_20221107_080636_com.huawei.himovie.overseas_edit_47575396587010.jpg

Chopped up the rinsed chicken
Screenshot_20221107_080658_com.huawei.himovie.overseas_edit_47593884317216.jpg

Combined in a bowl - it looks like fancy cat food. Added a pinch of 5 spice and salt which was essentially nothing? I didn't add the breadcrumbs as it stuck together quite well, and left it in the fridge while I made the sauce.

Screenshot_20221107_080725_com.huawei.himovie.overseas_edit_47603317120339.jpg

I pretended I didn't have a blender to save on washing up. She doesn't say to cut up the pineapple but I did so I wouldn't have two pineapple eyes staring back at me.
Screenshot_20221107_080737_com.huawei.himovie.overseas_edit_47610884358880.jpg

Brought to the boil and left it simmering.

Screenshot_20221107_080946_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Took out the meat mix and made little balls. Dusted in a little flour but left some of them plain to compare.
Screenshot_20221107_080958_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Half way through cooking. While turning them they all stuck to the pan and fell apart

IMG_20221106_130324.jpg

Done.
The balls by themselves were indescribable, and I mean that in the most neutral way possible. There was no taste other than "unspecified meat". They didn't have enough flavour to be defined by "bad" or "good"; it was the liminal space of food. It's what I imagine sci-fi nutrient blocks would taste like. The pinch of 5 spice did not give it "some life" as she claimed.

Texture was not great, the grated spam was weird. Maybe if I had added breadcrumbs they would have stuck together better.

The sauce was... ok? I wouldn't make it again but it definitely wasn't terrible and blended up with more spice it would be fine.

I was not a greedy goblin and did not inhale the lot but I did eat more than I thought I would, about 1/3 of the balls with sauce. I have no idea how much would be a serving as I can't imagine having to eat this as a meal.
This recipe surprised me, in that it didn't taste disgusting after such a horrific method. I'm going to give her some credit here as, unlike other recipes where the ingredients are better suited elsewhere, I'm not sure what I would do with these specific tins had I been given them from a foodbank (except for having the curry separately, obviously). There has to be something better than grating spam though.

RATING
2.5: Indescribable.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 119
Out of all the lovely cakes I have ever made my husbands favourite ever was Betty Crocker chocolate cake made with a can of coke 😔

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 37
I will be slopping my slop on Thursday as off to Bournemouth today till Wednesday for eldest’s graduation

I think I inadvertently signed myself up for two slops so could actually be Thursday and Friday

• Heart
Reactions: 24

View attachment 1710910View attachment 1710911
Packet cake mix and tin of custard? Interesting combination... 😁 However, what do I know - obviously the povs don't know how to use a box of cake mix. 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
Packet cake mix and tin of custard? Interesting combination... 😁 However, what do I know - obviously the povs don't know how to use a box of cake mix. 🤦‍♀️
sugar from the custard powder and sugar from the cake mix, no wonder it’s ‘saccharine sweet’, Jack.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 28
Good morning fraus
Pickin' Balls
The name Pickin' Balls fascinated and disgusted me in equal parts. Why would someone name a dish after men scratching their genitalia? The recipe was also unlike anything I had ever read; the thoughts of grating spam haunting me as I carted the can up and down the country. Having dumped my bags contents on my bed Saturday night the can was one of the last things I saw, and what I woke up to the next morning. I decided to eat the frog.
View attachment 1710850
It was impossible to find tinned chicken in white sauce in Ireland so I settled for tinned chicken curry from M&S. Initially I was concerned the curry might affect the balls taste, but dear reader, I shouldn't have worried.
I didn't want to buy a slice pan for 2 slices of bread that were considered optional, so I decided I'd grate some of my bread roll (for lunch) if it was needed.
The tin of pineapples was double the size so I weighed out the equivalent of a 200g tin.
I also used some flour for dusting which I had completely forgotten about until I stuck them in the oven and had to take them back out to dust
View attachment 1710827
I scooped out the bits of chicken from the curry and removed the spam. I heated up the curry separately and it was decent, might be a good one for posh store cupboards.
View attachment 1710828
Rinsed the chicken
View attachment 1710890

Grated the spam. I cannot express how much psychic damage I took from this. The texture was disgusting. I chopped up the bits that I couldn't grate.
View attachment 1710891
View attachment 1710892
Combined in a bowl - it looks like fancy cat food. Added a pinch of 5 spice and salt which was essentially nothing? I didn't add the breadcrumbs as it stuck together quite well, and left it in the fridge while I made the sauce.

View attachment 1710893
I pretended I didn't have a blender to save on washing up. She doesn't say to cut up the pineapple but I did so I wouldn't have two pineapple eyes staring back at me.
View attachment 1710894

View attachment 1710835
Took out the meat mix and made little balls. Dusted in a little flour but left some of them plain to compare.
View attachment 1710836
Half way through cooking. While turning them they all stuck to the pan and fell apart

View attachment 1710846
Done.
The balls by themselves were indescribable, and I mean that in the most neutral way possible. There was no taste other than "unspecified meat". They didn't have enough flavour to be defined by "bad" or "good"; it was the liminal space of food. It's what I imagine sci-fi nutrient blocks would taste like. The pinch of 5 spice did not give it "some life" as she claimed.

Texture was not great, the grated spam was weird. Maybe if I had added breadcrumbs they would have stuck together better.

The sauce was... ok? I wouldn't make it again but it definitely wasn't terrible and blended up with more spice it would be fine.

I was not a greedy goblin and did not inhale the lot but I did eat more than I thought I would, about 1/3 of the balls with sauce. I have no idea how much would be a serving as I can't imagine having to eat this as a meal.
This recipe surprised me, in that it didn't taste disgusting after such a horrific method. I'm going to give her some credit here as, unlike other recipes where the ingredients are better suited elsewhere, I'm not sure what I would do with these specific tins had I been given them from a foodbank (except for having the curry separately, obviously). There has to be something better than grating spam though.

RATING
It's her lack of basic cooking knowledge that really grates (boom boom) isn't it?

Those balls were never going to hold together without something to bind them.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Good morning fraus
Pickin' Balls
View attachment 1710850
View attachment 1710827
View attachment 1710828
Rinsed the chicken
View attachment 1710890

View attachment 1710891
View attachment 1710892

View attachment 1710893
View attachment 1710894

View attachment 1710835
View attachment 1710836

View attachment 1710846
Done.

RATING
I’m calling bullshit once and for all on Jack having any kind of sensory difficulties stemming from neurodiversity. The very idea of grating spam or having to scoop the effluvia from rinsed chicken out of the plug hole makes me gag. No autie or “puppy brain”(🤢) would even contemplate it.

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 64
Good morning fraus
Pickin' Balls
View attachment 1710850
View attachment 1710827
View attachment 1710828
Rinsed the chicken
View attachment 1710890

View attachment 1710891
View attachment 1710892

View attachment 1710893
View attachment 1710894

View attachment 1710835
View attachment 1710836

View attachment 1710846
Done.

RATING
Brave!

I love your descriptions of the 'unspecified meat' taste and 'the liminal space of food'. 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
This thread is both horrifying and hilarious in equal measure. Chapeau, fraus. And thank you for giving us mere spectators something easier to keep up with than the MT.

My views on the calls for a no tweak rule (I know no one asked), is that tweaks are a logical persons attempt to salvage their money and efforts and, more importantly, prevent the waste that this experiment (an extension of Jack’s tit work) is causing. The point that someone who has no cookery experience wouldn’t make the tweaks is really important but I don’t think making tweaks is weakening the point that her recipes don’t work. They plainly do not work, none of you can get them to work. It must be *so* disheartening knowing that as you go.

But it’s really fun to watch. I’ll sling a tenner to my local food bank and duck off x

• Heart
Reactions: 43
2.5: Indescribable
They are like nothing I've ever seen before :ROFLMAO:

Thread title, what an honour. I feel like Big Dave receiving his MBE. I'll tackle Mumma Jack's Chilli as linked above if no one else is? I have all the ingredients in except for the wine and chocolate, which I'd buy this week anyway. Excited to get my bean rinse on.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 36
Had some more of the pina colada bread for breakfast with a layer of lurpak. It has made the bread bin smell quite nice but is still quite stodgy and tastes bland af so now I feel vaguely sick

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 45
My views on the calls for a no tweak rule (I know no one asked), is that tweaks are a logical persons attempt to salvage their money and efforts and, more importantly, prevent the waste that this experiment (an extension of Jack’s tit work) is causing. The point that someone who has no cookery experience wouldn’t make the tweaks is really important but I don’t think making tweaks is weakening the point that her recipes don’t work. They plainly do not work, none of you can get them to work. It must be *so* disheartening knowing that as you go.
Yeah tbh I haven't made a slop yet because I don't want to waste the ingredients on something that'll be inedible. That sounds like an excuse to avoid the prunes, but it's the truth! Honest! 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Dear hearts, you are doing amazing work and I salute you.

As hilarious as the slopalong is, I too have become increasingly angry at the absurdity of these 'recipes'. I'm an ex publishing frau who has edited many cookery books (by people who can actually cook and write) and I'm beyond shocked at her publishers. I haven't worked in the industry for more than ten years, but I feel sure that things cannot have changed so much that they have let her get away with this. In my day, we never tested recipes (we didn't have the rescources and our authors were contractually obliged to test them themselves) BUT we sure as hell queried anything and everything that sounded even slightly off. The fact that such basic, obvious things like heating up the oil in the pan first have been missed is ridiculously incompetant.

Ninnies, may I softly, gently suggest that those of you who have attempted the slop consider contacting Bluebird with your results? Maybe minus the photos of the biro tats and lines of powder (as funny as they are, it would give them reason to dismiss our concerns) and with particular emphasis on the abysmal nutritional content, which is the worse thing about her grift. I have contemplated linking the threads in an email to them, but they wouldn't bother to grunk through them. It's too late, of course, for them to do anything about the already published nonsense, but it may help to sway them against commissioning another. It is worth a try, I feel, if any of you feel so inclined.

Bluebird is part of Pan Macmillan. Email is: [email protected]
Yep, I took an alternate ingredients shot omitting the racked up paprika lines for this very reason.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.