Slimming World - cult?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I lost 2 stone and have kept it off for 2 years so far. I eat a balanced diet- lots of fruit, veg, I get enough protein and dairy. I just cut out things like chocolate, biscuits, processes foods. But I am also active so I believe for me it's half exercise, half eating right

I have done SW and got to target through following the plan. It then all went down hill, I felt there was little support as a target member and it was always “well you know what you are doing”. I am currently nearly a stone away from that target and determined to go it alone to get back where I was.
I felt the same when I hit target, in the end I stopped going to the sessions.
I try to keep to plan now on my own, but I hear a lot of people put weight on after they leave, maybe it's because when you are in a group/getting weighed each week there is more pressure to keep on plan

I lost 2 stone and have kept it off for 2 years so far. I eat a balanced diet- lots of fruit, veg, I get enough protein and dairy. I just cut out things like chocolate, biscuits, processes foods. But I am also active so I believe for me it's half exercise, half eating right

I felt the same when I hit target, in the end I stopped going to the sessions.
I try to keep to plan now on my own, but I hear a lot of people put weight on after they leave, maybe it's because when you are in a group/getting weighed each week there is more pressure to keep on plan
I definitely think the group holds me to some accountability...and once target is reached the group is free so its def just about maintaining that commitment to attending. My parents have maintained for years and they attend group maybe once a month on the sw consultants advice

Reactions: 1
I got to my target last year and only weigh in once every 6-8 weeks. I don’t stay to group.

I find that knowing that I’ll get weighed every other month keeps my weight under control but still gives me freedom to enjoy life.

If I gain one week it’s okay as I know I’ll soon get that off to get back into target.

It also helps that I don’t like my consultant, I always hated paying for her “help”. Her face when I weigh in still in target 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: 3
I've been a member of WW for over a year but reading this thread has actually made me question it a little.

Losing weight is hard and it's a slow process. I lost 2.5 stones in 6 months through a combination of following Chloe Madeley's 4 Week Body Blitz plan, then counting cals and taking up running. Have tried SW in the past and it didn't work for me. The thing that did work for me was that through Chloe's book and Instagram, she educated me about calories and macronutrients, portion sizes, exercise, TDEE and with that knowledge I was able to find a way that worked for me, that I could ahere to then adapt when I wanted to maintain the weight I was at. Education, consistency (every day, no cheat days when you're trying to lose weight as you don't want to wipe out all your hard-earned calorie deficit by blowing it at the weekends) is the only way.

SW and WW and all the points and syns are like a halfway house - they give you a bit of knowledge but not the full picture, so you have to keep going back to them (and giving them ££££). They are businesses trying to make money after all. Would defo recommend Chloe's plans to anyone. Two years later and the weight has stayed off, and that's with 6 months out injured from running too.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I enjoy slimming world, I lost 3 stone on it steadily and enjoyably but over the years I’ve put it all back on because I quit and went back to old habits. I’m back to it now, so like anything I suppose it suits some people and not others. Tracking on my fitness pal is good too but I personally find that quite regimented, slimming world for me is quite relaxed and flexible 💚
I realise this is a really old post, however you do realise that the reason slimming world worked for you is that essentially it did exactly the same thing as my fitness pal (that you claim is too regimented) and put you in a calorie deficit. The slimming world plan is not magic and the only possible way you lost weight is that you used more calories than you consumed 💚

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’ve lost a stone now, exercise more, eating less and drinking more water. My wife has joined and has lost 1 and half stone. Think we both be happy with another 2 gone. She does slimming slimming world but I don’t think it would be for me. I’d rather do two hours in the gym than waste me evening talking about food

Any good normal blokes to suggest following? I don’t like arrogant people or fake people. Good male accounts to get inspo, good female ones for inspiration and some food ones please
The two Synberries are the only men I can think of hey are on YT and IG

The two Synberries are the only men I can think of hey are on YT and IG
Thank you, I closed my Instagram down. I’m not very body confident and struggle with the slimming world plan. I’ve lost 1 stone though so far so I am happy wit that it

• Heart
I realise this is a really old post, however you do realise that the reason slimming world worked for you is that essentially it did exactly the same thing as my fitness pal (that you claim is too regimented) and put you in a calorie deficit. The slimming world plan is not magic and the only possible way you lost weight is that you used more calories than you consumed 💚
Yes totally, but it was a plan that worked for me. I understood what I could eat freely and what I had to monitor, and have no intention of inputting my food into an app to monitor and measure what I’m eating, it’s more a mental thing. I can’t imagine using an app to track my food for the rest of my life, whereas I could follow the slimming world plan without giving it much of a thought. I’m now trying to move away from diet culture and be more mindful 💚

It's ironic isn't it. People want to lose weight so, in reality, it should save money because you are eating less. But by signing up to these multi million making Corporations, people spend a fortune.

Its actually really easy if you put your mind to it. 1200 calories a day to lose weight. 1500 to maintain it once you get to your ideal weight.

So many fab free apps that you can download to daily track your food intake and exercise.

• Wow
It's ironic isn't it. People want to lose weight so, in reality, it should save money because you are eating less. But by signing up to these multi million making Corporations, people spend a fortune.

Its actually really easy if you put your mind to it. 1200 calories a day to lose weight. 1500 to maintain it once you get to your ideal weight.

So many fab free apps that you can download to daily track your food intake and exercise.
it’s not really that simple for everyone though, people seem to think that ‘calories in vs calories out’ and tracking what you eat via an app is ‘really easy‘ as you put it. No calories are created equal and 130 calories of a chocolate bar Vs 130 calories of avocado are going to give your body very different things in terms of nutrients and vitamins.

but then my opinion is that weight loss shouldn’t be the be all and end all and personally that’s why I don’t think places like SW or apps like MFP work at all. They’re not cut out for long term sustainability in terms of your overall health and for some people a healthy balanced diet equals weight loss - then that’s a bonus!

Aiming for a diet rich in whole foods and getting the right amount of fruit and veg a day is the best place to start for any reason - if weight loss is achieved as a by product then fantastic but we need to think of our overall health instead of just worrying about a number on the scales.

Reactions: 2

Lol I'm 5'7, 1500 is my BMR- that would not work for me.

You are onto something, but people should use actual macro calculators to figure out BMR and TDEE- TDEE is the one you subtract from, making sure you still stay above your BMR. So for me for example, cause I workout 4 times a week, I'm around 2200 for my TDEE, to lose weight I'd subtract like 200 calories from that, see if my weight changed, and then adjust it if the scale didn't move.

I couldn't eat 1200 calories that would be starvation. My maintenance calories are 2483. I think if people are going to track calories then they should work it out properly. My fitness pal tells me to eat 1657 to lose weight. I have done all diets and they all work for me, my issue is my lack of will power. I won't sign up to another weight loss club again.

but then my opinion is that weight loss shouldn’t be the be all and end all and personally that’s why I don’t think places like SW or apps like MFP work at all. They’re not cut out for long term sustainability in terms of your overall health and for some people a healthy balanced diet equals weight loss - then that’s a bonus!
I disagree with what you say about MFP. It's a great tool to teach you what the calorie value of different foods are and what a portion size looks like. Most people underestimate the calorie content of things so it can be a real eye opener. I used it for a while to get a handle on this now, but now I don't use it at all, as I have got to the stage where I can look at something and know pretty close to what the calories are. Also, I'm maintaining my weight now not trying to lose so I don't have to be as strict on what I eat.

I couldn't eat 1200 calories that would be starvation. My maintenance calories are 2483. I think if people are going to track calories then they should work it out properly. My fitness pal tells me to eat 1657 to lose weight. I have done all diets and they all work for me, my issue is my lack of will power. I won't sign up to another weight loss club again.
I agree with this too. Best to work out your TDEE and subtract say 500 cals from that to get your target cals. knowing you have built in a deficit.

I disagree with what you say about MFP. It's a great tool to teach you what the calorie value of different foods are and what a portion size looks like. Most people underestimate the calorie content of things so it can be a real eye opener. I used it for a while to get a handle on this now, but now I don't use it at all, as I have got to the stage where I can look at something and know pretty close to what the calories are. Also, I'm maintaining my weight now not trying to lose so I don't have to be as strict on what I eat.
my point was in regards to calorie counting all together, I don’t disregard MFP as a good app to tell you how many calories are in a chocolate bar or how many calories are in an avocado.

I know it does that job well but I’m concerned that it doesn’t tell you the nutritional value of those foods and what your body does with the calories/energy they provide which ultimately affects your whole health, not just the ability to lose weight. Portion sizes are also so varied depending on so many factors, there’s no app that can accurately tell you how much you should be eating as everyone is so different and unique.

its important to look at our bodies holistically and see the bigger picture and not just from one view which in this case seems to be weight loss. There’s much more to being healthy than losing weight.

Nutritional content and calories both matter. How you choose to hold them in tandem depends on your goals.

The Fitness Chef posts good content on this topic, eg:

+++

Whilst adherence to Slimming World ideals may result in fat loss for some, for others its system prohibits the necessary understanding required for long term progress.
-

A calorie deficit is required to lose fat. But adherence to slimming world does not guarantee that calorie deficit. Because the model’s encouragement to eat unregulated quantities of ‘free foods’ becomes problematic when there is no structured caloric control of those foods. ‘Free’ is to imply that it doesn’t count. But it does count - irrespective of that food’s overall quality. -
-

Designing an eating system in such a way denies the consumer factual nutritional values and thus the meaningful information required to make informed choices in relation to their goal. As a result, one may over-consume ‘free’ foods and unknowingly counteract the calorie deficit required to lose fat. -
-

SW success is judged by weekly measurement of total body weight (which includes water). Therefore, progress or failure could be defined by going to the toilet or drinking a bottle of water prior to the weigh in. Despite this, members are required to pay £20 per month for the privilege of this ‘assessment’, along with ‘educational’ discussions conducted by SW ‘coaches’ who teach customers how to manage their ‘syns’. -
-

As a fat loss intervention, it is unnecessarily complex. It also serves to potentially worsen one’s relationship with food. Replacing facts with fictional buzzwords in a ‘win or lose’ arena defy what is required for sustainable fat loss and positive food relationships. A gradual, tracked calorie deficit, including factual appreciations of food is a cheaper, better informed, long term solution. -
-

Some may have accidental success with slimming world. But if calories define fat loss, surely caloric recognition ought to be translated by SW to their customers. Instead, it is not. -
-
For those who can’t afford £20 a month for an irrelevant system, unskilled advice and yo-yo results, maybe it’s time to step back into the real world. 🙂

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I lost 13 stone on Slimming World, had a minor blip, regained 4 stone in 4 months and have since changed my diet but carried on with the core SW methodology.

The problem I found, as many will tell you, you can easily overeat on SW and be told you're doing it right. I never went to a group but I have been told by some who did that they got grilled at group when saying they stuck to plan but didn't lose weight, "obviously you didn't stick to plan".

What finally triggered it for me was when I spent a couple of weeks religiously on plan and eating well and the weight increased. The one thing I didn't do in those two weeks, exercise. I decided to log all of my foods on MFP and worked out my daily calorie intake was approx 2500 calories, the majority of this in fruit and veg. To lose weight without exercise I should have been aiming for closer to 1900 calories.

This was the end of SW as a strict diet plan for me. The following couple of weeks I stuck to my usual SW meals but added little bits in I never would have previously. I had a couple of meals I wouldn't have touched as they don't agree with SW as they have a fat content to them which would see them heavily synned. When I didn't get enough exercise in the day I would cut some food out of the diet. I lost 4lb over the two weeks.

SW works well if you use your head. It has so many flaws though it's ridiculous.

Next issue. The price. You get it slightly cheaper if you do it online, which is what I did. What you don't get online is any real support from anyone, no certificates etc (unless a crap pdf which bodges itself on 2/3 of an A4 page counts) and none of the awards group members get. I lost 13 stone and hit target in a very short time by religiously sticking to plan, never having a cheat meal, taking up exercise plans and being committed to it. I had a few friends and family email Slimming World without me knowing to see if they would give some recognition and they completely ignored it because I don't attend a group and did it all alone without the need of a sales rep flogging me recipe books, SW magazines and hifi bars every week.

Overall, I would recommend the SW ways, fresh food over ready made stuff is pretty much the core of the diet, but the 15 syn bollocks and free food is unreliable and will see so many fail and carry on paying their £5 a week to try and fix it!