Skin care - tell me all of the advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The best sunscreen I have ever used is the Biore Aqua Watery Essence - it's a dream to apply and there is absolutely no white cast/greasyness. The only downside is that it usually takes a good 3-4 weeks to arrive from Japan on Amazon...

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a good daily SPF (preferably SPF 50) that goes well under makeup and doesn't leave a white cast/greasy film? I've tried La Roche Posay but couldn't really use it properly as it had such a white cast and pilled. :(

Also how much sunscreen does everyone here apply lol? I know the official recommendation seems to be 1/4 tsp which is surprisingly quite a lot. I have a small face though so could probably get away with applying a bit less. I find it tricky to find a sunscreen where you're applying a sufficient amount but without looking like a greasy mess or a ghost lol
Try Unseen Sunscreen by Supergoop! It’s fantastic, the product is clear and is just like a make up primer. I have always used Korean SPFs but this is one you can get on cult beauty and it’s brilliant, I love it.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’m mid forties and use body shop calomine balm to take off my makeup, then double cleanse with their vitamin C wash. I thug. Use a facial oil, ten do buy these from tkmaxx as they haves good selection. Then I use a night or day moisturiser, I like Elemis, Olay and body shop. I also try and drink lots of water and take vitamin supplements. Will also be having Botox when lockdown over as homeschooling has aged the duck out of me 🤪

I’m mid forties and use body shop calomine balm to take off my makeup, then double cleanse with their vitamin C wash. I tUse a facial oil, I tend to buy these from tkmaxx as they have a good selection. Then I use a night or day moisturiser, I like Elemis, Olay and body shop. I also try and drink lots of water and take vitamin supplements. Will also be having Botox when lockdown over as homeschooling has aged the duck out of me 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I have combination skin. I have tried everything known to man on my face! Eve lom, dermalogica, Liz Earle, Aldi, number 7, nip and fab, Elemis etc and I once even nearly got divorced when I bought creme de la mar.
The only thing that has ever made a marked improvement on my skin is the Soap & Glory range! I have the face brush and use that with the clarity wash, I then have the pore day cream and I use the night cream (with the bubbles) and eye cream and it’s never been better. It’s also on 1/3 off

Reactions: 3
I have combination skin. I have tried everything known to man on my face! Eve lom, dermalogica, Liz Earle, Aldi, number 7, nip and fab, Elemis etc and I once even nearly got divorced when I bought creme de la mar.
The only thing that has ever made a marked improvement on my skin is the Soap & Glory range! I have the face brush and use that with the clarity wash, I then have the pore day cream and I use the night cream (with the bubbles) and eye cream and it’s never been better. It’s also on 1/3 off
I love their cleansers they smell gorgeous and I love their glycolic acid toner! Definitely a brand worth looking into!

You could try Mandelic acid> Apparently it's often tolerated well for people who are sensitive to Salicylic. Have a google and see if it sounds good. The Ordinary's is under £6 so not too much to spend if it doesn't suit.
Or try Azelaic acid. I get mine from the Ordinary too. Warning : some people find it a bit itchy the first few times but it definitely helped me a lot. I used to have rosacea, I haven't had redness in many many months now.

So I started Skin + Me last week, I have 4% Niacinamide, 4% Azelaic Acid and 0.006% Tretinoin and the flaky dry skin from the Tretinoin is real right now around my mouth/chin and lower nose..

I know this is a very common side effect and should hopefully only last a few weeks but has anyone else had this and have any tips/products that might help reduce the ‘skin literally peeling off my face’ look?

Or try Azelaic acid. I get mine from the Ordinary too. Warning : some people find it a bit itchy the first few times but it definitely helped me a lot. I used to have rosacea, I haven't had redness in many many months now.
Do you find it leaves a funny texture or balls up? I feel like it's almost similar to a silicone primer but maybe I'm using too much?

Has anyone used MediK8 Crystal Retinol before? I’ve cancelled my Skin+Me subscription so I’m looking for a good retinol product.

Has anyone used MediK8 Crystal Retinol before? I’ve cancelled my Skin+Me subscription so I’m looking for a good retinol product.
Yes. I’ve used the Medik8 CR and loved it. I started on the 3 and then moved up from there. I noticed a definite improvement in the texture and clarity of my skin. I didn’t suffer any irritation or side effects with it either.

As I’m writing this I’m asking myself why I stopped using it! I’ll answer that - I moved on to Dermatica. But if I stop the tretinoin, I’d happily start up the CR again. Hope this helps.

Water - and lots of it! It really helps.

I don't suffer with acne really, I never have done luckily, even as a teenager it was minimum
My skin suffers from open pores more than anything else and my skin can look tired sometimes. I am more worried about it looking aged and I am not sure how to prevent that?
I wear make-up almost everyday and I have done since I was 14 (I am 28 in a couple weeks) even popping to shop for milk, I will put almost a full face on but now as I coming into my 30's, I wanna try prevent it looking old.

Does anyone use anti-aging products? for 25+ ?

I've got Revolution Hydraulic Acid. I have been given Pixi Retinol toner. Can somebody please give me a regime in order on how to use these please? I also have Loreal anti aging revitalift day and night creams. What order and how often?

I am mid 30s, my skin is showing its first signs of aging by loss of volume more than actual wrinkles.

I've got Revolution Hydraulic Acid. I have been given Pixi Retinol toner. Can somebody please give me a regime in order on how to use these please? I also have Loreal anti aging revitalift day and night creams. What order and how often?

I am mid 30s, my skin is showing its first signs of aging by loss of volume more than actual wrinkles.
Can I ask what cleanser you are using?

I would cleanse, use your pixi retinol toner (use this at night only), use your hyaluronic serum (leave this to settle for a minute, will absorb quickly), eye cream if you use any and then your day/ night cream. Use an SPF during the day as will need this when using retinol, that’s really important.

If I was you I would phase in the pixi retinol toner don’t go full throttle with it every night. You don’t want to scare or irritate your skin. I would also only use it at night. Enjoy using your products 🥰 xxxx

I’ve heard good things about the Vichy Mineral 89 Hyaluronic acid serum - has anyone tried? I’m running out of my The Ordinary one so would like to replace it.

The vischy HA serum sounds nice, I might give it a try. The best HA serum I've used so far is Deceim's Low molecular HA, and I am a huge fan.

I have the NIOD MMHC and I am not impressed at all. At least for me the hylamide one worked better and I liked it more. In fact the only time I got compliments for my skin was when I was only on Hylamide's LMHA and the Azelaic acid from the Ordinary. Nothing more. I didnt have a nuface device back then either.

Do you find it leaves a funny texture or balls up? I feel like it's almost similar to a silicone primer but maybe I'm using too much?
It is a silicone substance. I was worried it will flare up my rosacea but it didn't.

What worked for me is letting it completely dry up before adding sunscreen or foundation. It worked well under MAC studio fix and under the Ordinary foundation.
It is sometimes itchy too. What some people do is only to add it to their night routine.

I now use it every other night and still repurchase it religiously.

Attachments

Last edited:
I just ordered a full routine of The ordinary and I'm excited to get started!

I got the squalane cleanser, the natural moisturising factors moisturiser, the salicylic acid mask, the AHA BHA wash off thing (the red one that you use once a week) and the niacinamide. I know it's a lot but I thought I would try their recommended regime!

I'm going to start slow with the cleanser and moisturiser and then gradually introduce the other products. I think I will use the salicylic acid mask and AHA mask once a week (spaced out not on the same day) and the niacinamide daily. Do you think it matters what I introduce first? Anyone tried this routine?

Reactions: 3
So I started Skin + Me last week, I have 4% Niacinamide, 4% Azelaic Acid and 0.006% Tretinoin and the flaky dry skin from the Tretinoin is real right now around my mouth/chin and lower nose..

I know this is a very common side effect and should hopefully only last a few weeks but has anyone else had this and have any tips/products that might help reduce the ‘skin literally peeling off my face’ look?
Any retinol product or retinol Esther should be avoided around the eye and mouth area plus the neck. Have a read of Caroline Hirons blog about it, that woman is a genius

• Haha
Any retinol product or retinol Esther should be avoided around the eye and mouth area plus the neck. Have a read of Caroline Hirons blog about it, that woman is a genius
Thanks, I downloaded her book when it was on sale for 99p I just haven’t had the attention span to read it yet 🤣
I actually stopped applying it to my mouth area after I posted this, I put it on my cheeks, nose and forehead and a little on my chin and jaw and I have seen a massive improvement in the dryness around my mouth 👍🏻
Thank god for WFH during that period of dryness 😂

Thanks, I downloaded her book when it was on sale for 99p I just haven’t had the attention span to read it yet 🤣
I actually stopped applying it to my mouth area after I posted this, I put it on my cheeks, nose and forehead and a little on my chin and jaw and I have seen a massive improvement in the dryness around my mouth 👍🏻
Thank god for WFH during that period of dryness 😂
Haha I know the feeling! I messed about so much during the first lockdown trying different stuff. I ended up causing contact irritant dermatitis. Luckily it's calmed now by using the avene sensitive kit for three months. I've now managed to introduce things again slowly. I'm using the pixi retinol oil at the min and it's really good, it's quite weak but really hydrates the skin. I also only use it three times a week as I'm in my thirties, I read somewhere that for retinol type products go off your age so for twenties two times a week, three times for thirties, four times at forty etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.