Skin care - tell me all of the advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been looking into skin care that will help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around my eye area (I’m 38 and think I should start doing something about it!) I have been recommended Kiehl’s Powerful Strength Line Reducing Concentrate but it’s quite expensive (I’m willing to pay it though if it works!) Is it worth it?

I’ve also looked into The Ordinary Retinol in Squalane, but wondering if I should start from 0.2% or 0.5%? (Complete beginner on retinol)

I’m 60. I’ve never smoked or been out in the sun sun bathing. My skin is awful. I have large open pores in patches on my cheeks and chin. My skin is sagging.
I’ve tried estee ladders serums, Charlotte tilbury, and all the stufff that appears on tv, the I’oreals etc.
Im thinking a peel of some kind might help.
I bought some tretoin from the internet. Nothing helps.
‘Should I just throw in the towel?

I’ve been looking into skin care that will help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around my eye area (I’m 38 and think I should start doing something about it!) I have been recommended Kiehl’s Powerful Strength Line Reducing Concentrate but it’s quite expensive (I’m willing to pay it though if it works!) Is it worth it?

I’ve also looked into The Ordinary Retinol in Squalane, but wondering if I should start from 0.2% or 0.5%? (Complete beginner on retinol)
Retinol is the best thing for fine lines and tinkles so if you can find an eye cream with that in then that’s a good start - there’s a murad one with retinol in which is meant to be good.

In terms of starting on retinol, it depends on your skin - if you’re sensitive then i’d probably start on a low amount. The inkey list retinol is great for beginners, or if you can handle a bit more then I’d look at the medik8 crystal retinal (slightly different to retinol) number 3 and build from there. I started on the inkey list one and then when i’d used about 3 tubes of it I changed to medik8

Reactions: 2

I saw a really interesting programme about the science of skincare a couple of years ago and it stuck with me. Lots of it is genetics which you can (sadly) do nothing about. In terms of what products work, there are lots than make your skin feel or look nice but they are all temporary and their effects don't last longer than they are on the skin.
The only things that worked and made a visible difference were retinol and sunscreen. Retinol is proven to reduce lines and wrinkles and sunscreen prevents them.
In addition, products with vit c brighten the skin and products with hyaluronic acid plump up the skin as it attracts water.

In terms of retinol, it all depends on how sensitive your skin is as retinol is an irritant. There are loads of videos from Dermatologists on youtube that explain the various different products that contain retinol in a range of forms. I really recommend Medik8 retinol. If you sign up to their emails you get 15% off. The packaging is really good and allows you to get every drop out. It's made a difference to my skin, for sure.

Reactions: 6
Retinol is the best thing for fine lines and tinkles so if you can find an eye cream with that in then that’s a good start - there’s a murad one with retinol in which is meant to be good.

In terms of starting on retinol, it depends on your skin - if you’re sensitive then i’d probably start on a low amount. The inkey list retinol is great for beginners, or if you can handle a bit more then I’d look at the medik8 crystal retinal (slightly different to retinol) number 3 and build from there. I started on the inkey list one and then when i’d used about 3 tubes of it I changed to medik8
Thank you so much for the recommendations. I’ve ordered the Inkey List retinol as I’m an absolute beginner so thought I’d play it safe and then work myself up. Excited to try it!
I saw a really interesting programme about the science of skincare a couple of years ago and it stuck with me. Lots of it is genetics which you can (sadly) do nothing about. In terms of what products work, there are lots than make your skin feel or look nice but they are all temporary and their effects don't last longer than they are on the skin.
The only things that worked and made a visible difference were retinol and sunscreen. Retinol is proven to reduce lines and wrinkles and sunscreen prevents them.
In addition, products with vit c brighten the skin and products with hyaluronic acid plump up the skin as it attracts water.

In terms of retinol, it all depends on how sensitive your skin is as retinol is an irritant. There are loads of videos from Dermatologists on youtube that explain the various different products that contain retinol in a range of forms. I really recommend Medik8 retinol. If you sign up to their emails you get 15% off. The packaging is really good and allows you to get every drop out. It's made a difference to my skin, for sure.
Thank you so much! Definitely going to try the Medik8 retinol.

• Heart
Help!

ok I’m 38, have very oily skin, but it’s also prone to dehydration, I’ve a few deeply set lines in my forehead and nasiolabial but my biggest issue is my pores. They’re enormous and constantly blocked. I never thought I’d still be plagued with blackheads when approaching thirty! I’m lucky in that I’ve never really had acne but the congestion is real. And it really really bothers me.

I’m posting in both skincare and beyond skincare to see what kind of solutions might be recommended???

Help!

ok I’m 38, have very oily skin, but it’s also prone to dehydration, I’ve a few deeply set lines in my forehead and nasiolabial but my biggest issue is my pores. They’re enormous and constantly blocked. I never thought I’d still be plagued with blackheads when approaching thirty! I’m lucky in that I’ve never really had acne but the congestion is real. And it really really bothers me.

I’m posting in both skincare and beyond skincare to see what kind of solutions might be recommended???
Skincare wise - look at getting a BHA (salicylic acid) toner for your face, I use the Paula’s Choice one and it’ll get deep into your pores and help exfoliate them, help with blackheads and acne in general and also the congestion and pore size too. Niacinamide and Retinol are great for pore size too but I’d say BHA is more for what you need.
In terms of the beyond skincare thread you mentioned - I use a LED mask by Current Body which I think has helped with the overall appearance of my skin and it’s great for anti-ageing too x

• Heart
Skincare wise - look at getting a BHA (salicylic acid) toner for your face, I use the Paula’s Choice one and it’ll get deep into your pores and help exfoliate them, help with blackheads and acne in general and also the congestion and pore size too. Niacinamide and Retinol are great for pore size too but I’d say BHA is more for what you need.
In terms of the beyond skincare thread you mentioned - I use a LED mask by Current Body which I think has helped with the overall appearance of my skin and it’s great for anti-ageing too x
Thanks so much! I’m having a look at the Paula’s Choice range now…is there any BHA in particular you recommend??

Paula’s Choice 2% exfoliating solution has made such a big difference to my skin texture. I used to have lots of little skin coloured bumps and my skin is now a lot smoother.

Could I ask for some advice? I’m 32 and my skin does get oily throughout the day, is sensitive and acne prone.

My routine is really basic:

Morning:
Face wash: Cosrx low ph good morning cleanser
Moisturer: Cerave moisturising cream

Evening:
Toner: Paula’s Choice 2% BHA lotion

I really need to add sunscreen but have really struggled to find one that agrees with me. The latest one I tried was by Heliocare and it caused spots. Should I use sunscreen after my moisturiser? Any recommendations?

I would like to add Tretinoin/Retinol to help with fine lines and as a preventative. Where would that fit into my routine? Can I still use the BHA? Really keen to continue with it as its really improved my skin.

Any facial treatments that actually help to improve the skin?

any recommendations would be great. Thank you!!

Thanks so much! I’m having a look at the Paula’s Choice range now…is there any BHA in particular you recommend??
https://www.paulaschoice.co.uk/skin-perfecting-bha-liquid-exfoliant/m2010.html this one is the one I use 😊 they do a 30ml mini if you want to try it first!
Paula’s Choice 2% exfoliating solution has made such a big difference to my skin texture. I used to have lots of little skin coloured bumps and my skin is now a lot smoother.

Could I ask for some advice? I’m 32 and my skin does get oily throughout the day, is sensitive and acne prone.

My routine is really basic:

Morning:
Moisturer: Cerave moisturising cream

Evening:
Toner: Paula’s Choice 2% BHA lotion

I really need to add sunscreen but have really struggled to find one that agrees with me. The latest one I tried was by Heliocare and it caused spots. Should I use sunscreen after my moisturiser? Any recommendations?

I would like to add Tretinoin/Retinol to help with fine lines and as a preventative. Where would that fit into my routine? Can I still use the BHA? Really keen to continue with it as its really improved my skin.

Any facial treatments that actually help to improve the skin?

any recommendations would be great. Thank you!!
hello!
to balance out the oil you’re gonna need more hydration in your routine so i would look at hydrating products - snail mucin by cosrx is great, niacinamide will also also help with oil balance, hydration and a lot of other things too.

re: tret and retinol, you would only use these in the evening - i wouldn’t use them every night if you’re sensitive as you could damage your skin barrier - tret in particular is really strong. maybe start with a retinol and see how your skin reacts - the inkey list one is a good place to start. i use retinol every other night and every morning after using it i follow up with vitamin c and spf - make sure you’re using spf if you’re using tret/retinol, you should be wearing it every day and it is the last step in your skincare routine so after moisturiser and before any make up!

spfs i like (i can be quite sensitive and i hated heliocare for the same reason as you) - la roche posay anthelios, bondi sands, elizabeth arden city smart prevage, ultra sun.

re: bha yes you can still use it just not on the same nights as retinol/tret

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you so much for the thorough response! ❤

So something like this?

AM
Face wash
Retinol
Vit C
Moisturiser
SPF

PM
Face wash
BHA or Retinol (alternating)

Where would the cosrx snail mucin fit in?

https://www.paulaschoice.co.uk/skin-perfecting-bha-liquid-exfoliant/m2010.html this one is the one I use 😊 they do a 30ml mini if you want to try it first!

hello!
to balance out the oil you’re gonna need more hydration in your routine so i would look at hydrating products - snail mucin by cosrx is great, niacinamide will also also help with oil balance, hydration and a lot of other things too.

re: tret and retinol, you would only use these in the evening - i wouldn’t use them every night if you’re sensitive as you could damage your skin barrier - tret in particular is really strong. maybe start with a retinol and see how your skin reacts - the inkey list one is a good place to start. i use retinol every other night and every morning after using it i follow up with vitamin c and spf - make sure you’re using spf if you’re using tret/retinol, you should be wearing it every day and it is the last step in your skincare routine so after moisturiser and before any make up!

spfs i like (i can be quite sensitive and i hated heliocare for the same reason as you) - la roche posay anthelios, bondi sands, elizabeth arden city smart prevage, ultra sun.

re: bha yes you can still use it just not on the same nights as retinol/tret
You are an angel thank you so much 😘

I’ve just spent a small fortune on Paula’s choice. I could have just bought the exfoliant for €30 but it’s free shipping after €150 so rather than spend €15 on shipping, I spent €170 on skincare. And free shipping! Bargain 😝

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8

So something like this?

AM
Face wash
Retinol
Vit C
Moisturiser
SPF

PM
Face wash

Hi - retinol is always at night (and maybe not every night) so it would be BHA in the morning. Maybe alternate?

• Heart

So something like this?

AM
Face wash
Retinol
Vit C
Moisturiser
SPF

PM
Face wash

no only retinol in the evening! so

AM
cleanse
(you could use some sort of hydrating toner like a mist because snail mucin works best on damp skin like hyaluronic acid does)
snail mucin
vitamin c
moisturiser
spf

PM
cleanse (i would look at doing a second cleanse because you’re wearing spf, the first cleanse should be a balm/oil for example so something that melts off the spf and any make up - then your second cleanse cleans your skin)
alternating: retinol (you don’t necessarily need anything after this but if you’re sensitive then moisturiser - you could still use snail mucin after retinol too)
the nights you don’t use retinol you can use your BHA but personally i only use it 2-3 times a week as you don’t need to exfoliate that much, snail mucin, moisturiser

😊

You are an angel thank you so much 😘

I’ve just spent a small fortune on Paula’s choice. I could have just bought the exfoliant for €30 but it’s free shipping after €150 so rather than spend €15 on shipping, I spent €170 on skincare. And free shipping! Bargain 😝
hahaha love that for you!!! what else did you get 😍

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Help!

I have always had oily skin and big pores, for me double cleansing at night and finding the right moisturiser has saved my skin.

I can also recommend the body shop tea tree range.

no only retinol in the evening! so

AM
cleanse
(you could use some sort of hydrating toner like a mist because snail mucin works best on damp skin like hyaluronic acid does)
snail mucin
vitamin c
moisturiser
spf

PM
cleanse (i would look at doing a second cleanse because you’re wearing spf, the first cleanse should be a balm/oil for example so something that melts off the spf and any make up - then your second cleanse cleans your skin)
alternating: retinol (you don’t necessarily need anything after this but if you’re sensitive then moisturiser - you could still use snail mucin after retinol too)
the nights you don’t use retinol you can use your BHA but personally i only use it 2-3 times a week as you don’t need to exfoliate that much, snail mucin, moisturiser

😊

hahaha love that for you!!! what else did you get 😍
5D1DF4B0-0923-48A4-BD70-C50A2AE56C07.jpeg

and now I’m wondering if I should be getting this snail mucin too, the reviews are amazing!

View attachment 1359447
and now I’m wondering if I should be getting this snail mucin too, the reviews are amazing!
oooo that’s a good order! 😄 hope you like it!!!
i really love snail mucin, some people are put off by the fact it’s actually snail but honestly there’s no smell or anything. i find it really hydrating for my skin but i also use a hyaluronic acid too as i’ve got dehydrated skin so im like feed me hydration 🤣🤣

Meh. It seems silly to be put off by the snail aspect and then put cow’s breast milk in my tea!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.