Skin care - tell me all of the advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yep, either Superdrug hot cloth cleanser is good. As are the Aldi ones!

Home Bargains/Savers/Poundstretcher often have K-beauty sheet masks for well under a pound each, probably worth a try!

Reactions: 1
Hi guys, I've lurked here for a while but I think I need some proper advice. My skin type is oily and I get a lot of blackheads. I use Nivea 2 in 1 cleanser/toner and Inkey list salycic acid in the evenings - I alternate them but from reading here I think I should be using the cleanser/toner every day? I have la Roche posay antihelios which I put on in the morning but I don't cleanse or moisturise in the mornings because I get up too late and have to run out the house 😂 any help or advice would really be appreciated!

Tranexamic acid. I had melasma on my face which looked like a moustache and its faded it a lot (along with vitamin C). That was on my face though, but I'm sure you can put this serum on the back of your hands on a night..? - https://www.lookfantastic.com/the-i...KrU5wKDkZys9e1fMjcBoC1KIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also hand cream with SPF 😊
I'd like to say a heartfelt thank you for this. I've been using it every night and the difference is stark. The spots seemed to become more separated from the skin then kind of faded away. It's 90% better. I'm so chuffed.

I still struggle with SPF as I can't bear the feeling of it on my face and hands but now I need to use it.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Does anyone have any good sheet mask recommendations? I used to buy some lovely Korean ones from TK Maxx in boxes of 10 but they've stopped doing them as much lately. Thank you!
Garnier Nutri Bomb made with almond milk is hands down the best face mask I've ever used, I think it might be on offer in Boots or Superdrug as well at the moment. I wish they'd stick the serum in a bottle!
Also rate Huda's Wishful Thirst Trap mask. Admittedly bought it from Harrods Beauty in Milton Keynes thinking it would be crap but it's fabulous and not horrible and soaking wet like lots of sheet masks, it's like a jelly, I loved it. Hated the Rodial ones I bought, Rodial feels like a con considering it's upmarket Nip+Fab(which I love)

I'd like to say a heartfelt thank you for this. I've been using it every night and the difference is stark. The spots seemed to become more separated from the skin then kind of faded away. It's 90% better. I'm so chuffed.

I still struggle with SPF as I can't bear the feeling of it on my face and hands but now I need to use it.
UltraSun SPF50 face mist.
My mum got me some for my birthday to go with my other skincare gifts and it's so light and doesn't pill, completely the opposite to my Bondi Sands one that is AWFUL

Reactions: 2

Aww I’m so pleased it’s worked for you! I really rate it so I’m glad you’ve seen the benefits!

Have you tried a moisturiser with SPF in it?

• Heart
Hi guys, I've lurked here for a while but I think I need some proper advice. My skin type is oily and I get a lot of blackheads. I use Nivea 2 in 1 cleanser/toner and Inkey list salycic acid in the evenings - I alternate them but from reading here I think I should be using the cleanser/toner every day? I have la Roche posay antihelios which I put on in the morning but I don't cleanse or moisturise in the mornings because I get up too late and have to run out the house 😂 any help or advice would really be appreciated!
You don’t need to use a salicylic acid everyday - that’s too much exfoliating and will destroy your skin barrier - 2-3 times a week is fine. I have no idea what the 2in1 cleanser toner is like but from looking at it - I personally would have a separate cleanser and a separate toner. If you’re using SPF then you need to be double cleansing because a cleanser toner like that isn’t gonna get off all of your spf and any make up you might wear - ideally a balm or oil first and then you could use the nivea as a second cleanse but i personally use la roche posay effaclar cleanser as my 2nd cleanse or a hydrating cleanser like kate somerville goats milk or elemis superfood. You should try to cleanse in the morning if you can because again I think you’re congesting your skin otherwise. You need hydration in your routine to balance out the oilyness!

What spf have you been using?

Just for reference moisturiser with spf isn’t enough protection for your skin generally. Look at bondi sands, LRP anthelios, elizabeth arden city smart prevage, ultra violette screen queen is lovely, the ultra sun one is meant to be amazing but haven’t tried it yet and i’ve just started with supergoop which is nice! for your hands maybe you’d find a spray spf better? garnier do a great spray one which I use on my hands as I think I have polymorphic light eruption when it’s really hot cos i get a small patch of red bumpy skin when i have a lot of sun exposure!

I found double cleansing to be my saviour for my black heads along with extraction.

I persoanlly wouldn’t go for a 2 in 1. I really like the body shop tea tree range. One thing that really helps is finding the right moisturiser as your skin over produces oily when dry or stripped.

does anyone have any recommendations for a cheaper alternative/dupe to liz earle cleanse and polish? I need to cut costs and just can't justify repurchasing right now, but am scared to change something that has always worked so well for me.

ps a few months ago I asked for advice on my dry and slightly reddish skin (mild rosacea symptoms) and the advice I was given has TRANSFORMED my skin. I can't remember when I last had any dry patches, my pores have significantly reduced in size and I also can't remember the last time I had a spot either. So a huge thank you!
This will only help if people are actually selling the product but I search Vinted and EBay for premium products if I’m not able to justify full price. I’ve had lots unopened and no issues. Just a thought to maintain getting the brand but at a lower cost

This will only help if people are actually selling the product but I search Vinted and EBay for premium products if I’m not able to justify full price. I’ve had lots unopened and no issues. Just a thought to maintain getting the brand but at a lower cost
Yep I do the exact same another great place to look for products is on Facebook on Caroline Hirons selling page I’ll try and grab a screenshot of the page to join but I bought medik8 Crystal retinal 10 for 12 pound!!!!

You don’t need to use a salicylic acid everyday - that’s too much exfoliating and will destroy your skin barrier - 2-3 times a week is fine. I have no idea what the 2in1 cleanser toner is like but from looking at it - I personally would have a separate cleanser and a separate toner. If you’re using SPF then you need to be double cleansing because a cleanser toner like that isn’t gonna get off all of your spf and any make up you might wear - ideally a balm or oil first and then you could use the nivea as a second cleanse but i personally use la roche posay effaclar cleanser as my 2nd cleanse or a hydrating cleanser like kate somerville goats milk or elemis superfood. You should try to cleanse in the morning if you can because again I think you’re congesting your skin otherwise. You need hydration in your routine to balance out the oilyness!

What spf have you been using?

Just for reference moisturiser with spf isn’t enough protection for your skin generally. Look at bondi sands, LRP anthelios, elizabeth arden city smart prevage, ultra violette screen queen is lovely, the ultra sun one is meant to be amazing but haven’t tried it yet and i’ve just started with supergoop which is nice! for your hands maybe you’d find a spray spf better? garnier do a great spray one which I use on my hands as I think I have polymorphic light eruption when it’s really hot cos i get a small patch of red bumpy skin when i have a lot of sun exposure!
I've tried the bog standard ones plus Heliocare, anthelios and now have that Ambre Solaire over make up mist. I think it's because I have oily skin I look so shiny. I'll live with it on holiday but not at home x

I have combo skin and LRP anthelios leaves my skin hydrated and comfortable during the day. I also top up using the Garnier spray over makeup.

I've tried the bog standard ones plus Heliocare, anthelios and now have that Ambre Solaire over make up mist. I think it's because I have oily skin I look so shiny. I'll live with it on holiday but not at home x
I couldn’t stand Heliocare - I thought it was awful. What did you struggle with with Anthelios?

Honestly look at the Elizabeth Arden City Smart Prevage, it’s got a slight tint to it but it’s honestly beautiful - I can be quite oily and it was gorgeous on me!
I have combo skin and LRP anthelios leaves my skin hydrated and comfortable during the day. I also top up using the Garnier spray over makeup.
Yeah I feel the same about anthelios! And I do the garnier spray over make up too ivy 🤣🤣

I couldn’t stand Heliocare - I thought it was awful. What did you struggle with with Anthelios?

Honestly look at the Elizabeth Arden City Smart Prevage, it’s got a slight tint to it but it’s honestly beautiful - I can be quite oily and it was gorgeous on me!

Yeah I feel the same about anthelios! And I do the garnier spray over make up too ivy 🤣🤣
Thanks both. I'll give it a go again x

• Heart
Thanks guys, I'm a bit confused about the oil/balm + another cleanser though. Won't oil make my skin oilier? Does anyone have any recommendations for a relatively cheap one? I've looked at the body shop tea tree stuff and it looks good - would that be the first or second cleanser?

Thanks guys, I'm a bit confused about the oil/balm + another cleanser though. Won't oil make my skin oilier? Does anyone have any recommendations for a relatively cheap one? I've looked at the body shop tea tree stuff and it looks good - would that be the first or second cleanser?
Oil/balm cleanser breaks down any dirt and grime (makeup / spf) so it’s good to get rid of that first. Then a second cleanse can really clean your skin 😊 Body Shop Cammomile balm cleanser is really good for a balm cleanse, and their vitamin e cleanser would be a good second cleanse!

Reactions: 4
So I go magic cloth to remove my make up, then oil cleanser to really get rid of it and then face wash. Toner, serum, moisturiser, SPF.

I second the body shop balm for a cheaply one, my ultimate treat splurge is Elemis!

Oil is really good for oily skin, hear to get your head around I know.

ps a few months ago I asked for advice on my dry and slightly reddish skin (mild rosacea symptoms) and the advice I was given has TRANSFORMED my skin. I can't remember when I last had any dry patches, my pores have significantly reduced in size and I also can't remember the last time I had a spot either. So a huge thank you!
What advise did you get? 😊 currently suffering with mild rosacea!

Its spendy but I really love the murad city skin spf 50. Its a mineral one so zero reactions and no whitecast with it as well. Austalian Gold also do a great mineral spf. Paulas Choice Defense Essential Glow one is good too but is only spf 30.

• Heart
No! So when you’re oily, your oil balance will be off and in turn you actually need more hydration in your routine to help with it. It’s weird to get your head around I know, I certainly found it weird when I realized but oil and hydration actually helps with it. As soon as I added more hydration to my skin through serums my oil has reduced dramatically. Generally people with oily skin actually don’t realise they have dry/dehydrated skin, hence the need for hydration as producing oil is your skins response to a lack of hydration if that makes sense! An oil/balm won’t cause more oil it’ll actually help in breaking down your skin to ensure your 2nd cleanse is targeting your skin concerns.

I love Elemis balm followed by either LRP effaclar or kate somerville goats milk cleanser - however if you want something really cheap but really bleeping brilliant then look at the pixi x caroline hirons double cleanse. it is 2 separate cleansers in one but ones a balm into oil and the other is a cream cleanser and I keep it at my mother in laws to save me lugging a million things round and it is STUNNING honestly.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.