Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Emoji

Chatty Member
Does anybody have any tips/had good experiences for helping large pores?
I also have large pores and have tried lots of products to disguise them.
I joined beauty pie and have been using their micro peeling drops and retinol serum and moisturiser. My pores have halved in size in around 4 months. When I wear makeup you can’t see them anymore.

Reactions: 3

GlowGirlGlowwww

VIP Member
Hado Labo is a staple in my routine and I love the weleda skin food too 😍
its fab isn't it! im a total skincare and make up junkie lol
I often find that as much as I love the luxury and gorgeous packaging of the higher end brand stuff, the basic products are often my HG!

If someone could help with a recommendation for an ingredient or product I would really appreciate it!

My chin and all from my nose down to my mouth (naso-labial folds?) is SO DRY and flakey. But if I use literally ANY moisturiser it gets really sore and red and inflamed :( I've been using an Inkey List hyaluronic acid after cleansing which is a really good temporary fix but it isn't making any long term progress, it's right back to being ugly and dry after a few hours. Can anyone recommend me a moisturiser that might help? I wondered if maybe I should use something with ceramides to try and rebuild my skin barrier but to be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed when I try to look things up!
It sounds like you have damaged the skin barrier and it can be really sore and painful, speaking from experience here! Stick to simple (not the brand), unperfumed, nourishing ingredients and nothing exfoliating as this will cause it to worsen. Stay away from from acids as well, BHA\AHAs. A great product to use is Eucerin Aquaphor. its super thick like vaseline but really helps and is clinically proven to help healing.
Also dont use anything too harsh to wash your face with. A few days of applying something like Aquaphor and it will feel a lot better. Good luck!

Last edited:

littlepup

VIP Member
one more question - are there any particular masks that you would chose? For like a weekly thing or biweekly thing? I’m really trying to prioritise self care when I get a chance (sorry to sound like Mrs Meldrum 😬) My family is having such an awful year this year (as are most) and it’s not about to get any better to be honest and just want to treat myself and have 5 minutes here and there!
To decongest - L’Oréal clay mask, charcoal version, usually on offer for about £5

To calm and glow - superdrug botanical lab tumeric - can be stingy for a few moments then leaves me all fresh faced

These two below are bung on then wash off rather than relax in -

To exfoliate and glow - Olay vit c & AHA resurfacer - gives you a serious exfoliation with shiny new skin below - they’ve done it in the boots Thursday £10 deals twice now

To lightly exfoliate - The ordinary AHA BHA peeling solution - stings some people, leaves you quite

• Heart

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
Has anyone ever used Medik8? It was recommended to me recently as I have spotty skin. I like to sound of it but it is pretty expensive 😬

These day/night creams in particular look good.

I use their Crystal Retinal and the c-tetra serum, I’ve used the cleansing oil and the liquid peptides which side loved. They’re really excellent products, I would advise waiting for codes for them or through cult beauty for example.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Ah so glad you love it! Defo one of the few AHAs I get on with and the medik8 press and go!
Yes to Medik8 press and glow! Its been the best exfoliant for me. My skin cant take anymore than a PHA.

Tried so many AHA and BHAs and my dry sensitive skin cannot cope, even every 2nd day. It gets so sore and even drier. The Medik8 has been a game changer for me 😍

luna012432

I got one of these for Xmas but have no idea how to use it! Do you have any tips?
image.jpg

This is what I got in with mine, I followed the diagram, I focus a lot on using both the stone and gua sha massager along my jaw line to help make my lower face look less puffy.
Also popping it in the fridge for 10 mins before makes it lovely and cool on the face, I can image it will be great for summer! Xx

• Heart

Loulou_23

VIP Member
Anyone tried Elemis pro-collagen cleansing balm or Clinique take the day off? Which would you recommend?
Take the day off is great 👍🏻 haven’t tried Elemis but too many influencers get sent it for free so that’s enough to put me off!

I also like the body shops version camomile cleansing balm.

Pixipoppy

VIP Member
Sounds like you are having a retinol reaction. Don’t put retinol anywhere near your eyes please.

Are your showers piping hot? If you like a really hot shower leave your skin to settle for a while before you apply your night time skin bits, especially as you are using stuff with active ingredients.

Also, you using the retinol every night? Please don’t do this. You need to build up your tolerance when it comes to anything with retinol or vit A.

I would defo reduce your use of the retinol for now, and phase it back in slowly. As your skin has been sensitised use a nice basic moisturiser on the nights your not using the retinol

Hope that helps a bit 😘 xxxxx
Ah thanks I thought that using it consistently would help my skin build up a tolerance quicker 🤦‍♀️ I’m clueless with this stuff! When I say around my eyes I meant more my upper cheek area really, I definitely don’t put it on my eyelids that’s for sure (I steer clear from putting anything on my eyelid or brow bone as I suffer from contact dermatitis/eczema there).

• Heart

Beauhead

Chatty Member
Can anyone recommend me a good SPF50 sunscreen for under makeup? I have normal-slightly dry skin which dries up as the day goes on.

I have tried the Bobbi Brown primer SPF and Zitsticka serum SPF so far, the BB looks greasy at first and then causes my foundation to crease and separate as it wears. The Zitsticka is a nicer finish at first but as a matte SPF my face then dries up a lot worse over the course of the day.
It's 42 instead of 50 but it's close lol

This sunscreen is amazing....it's not greasy, doesn't make you break out and great under makeup. It's my fave!
Shiseido - Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector Broad Spectrum Face Sunscreen SPF 42

Attachments

• Wow

petitspois

VIP Member
I’ve asked on another thread but will also ask here…
Anyone had profhilo and what are your personal views of the affects of the treatment ?
Is it worth the cost, it’s £200 per treatment near me, and need 2 treatments 4 weeks apart. Lasts 9-12 months. Billed as facelift in a bottle (syringe)
Thanks for any replies
I've had it. First treatment was about 5 weeks ago and then a follow up 2 or 3 weeks after. I noticed nothing after the first treatment then a lift from the second. My concern was slight jowls at the side of my mouth and it has improved those. As the previous poster says, it's 5 injections on each side of the face. One of them did hurt but it's momentary. Interestingly though, not one person has commented that I look brighter or good at all so maybe the effects are too small to be worth it. I was impressed but, now having thought about it more, I'm not sure if I would do it again.

Shineyshine

VIP Member
I hope it's ok to ask for some advice here?

Basically my skin is an absolute mess. I suffer with really oily, spotty skin, although more blackheads with the occasional whitehead. When I do get whiteheads they are huge angry red lumps for ages before eventually turning white and pus-filled (sorry). I've tried so many of the scrubs/exfoliation, face masks but nothing seems to work.
I don't know if it's worth mentioning I also suffer with spots on my back and top of my arms.

I'm in my early 30s and the time has come where I've decided I won't grow out of it and need to take action 🤣

I will be so grateful for any advice.
If it’s treatment for acne, and you don’t want to go down the route of seeing your GP and a lengthy referral for a dermatologist appointment (if you’re in the UK), I’d also recommend Dermatica or Skin + Me. They are online dermatology services who provide prescription treatments for skin conditions after a consultation.

I’ve been using Dermatica for 8 months (although not for acne in my case) and they’re fantastic.

I believe both companies work in pretty much the same way. Good luck 😊 Let us know what you decide to do.

• Heart

hydeist

Chatty Member
If someone could help with a recommendation for an ingredient or product I would really appreciate it!

My chin and all from my nose down to my mouth (naso-labial folds?) is SO DRY and flakey. But if I use literally ANY moisturiser it gets really sore and red and inflamed :( I've been using an Inkey List hyaluronic acid after cleansing which is a really good temporary fix but it isn't making any long term progress, it's right back to being ugly and dry after a few hours. Can anyone recommend me a moisturiser that might help? I wondered if maybe I should use something with ceramides to try and rebuild my skin barrier but to be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed when I try to look things up!

Has anyone tried the Foreo is it worth the money?
I have an old Foreo Luna Mini. It’s not something you’d want to use every day but it is really good once a week or so for a deeper cleanse. The battery life on it has been insanely good, I’ve found! I also have the UFO 2 and I love it! I’m surprised how lovely my skin feels after using any of the masks, feels like a really nice treat. Again, not likely to be something you’d want to use every day, but I do always feel better for using it each time I do, which makes it worth the spend to me!

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
Fantastic find. Thanks for sharing the link

I think you are right. It was limited edition. I forgot about that as I am still using one. Isn't there a new watermint one? Not sure if that is limited too
Yes! 😂 I got that water mint one off QVC in a supersize at one point this year cos with my friends discount it worked out cheaper than a normal size, it was really lovely too - really refreshing. They do have it on the elemis official site still

• Wow

carriebooboo

VIP Member
Those Superdrug Vitamin E creams looks great! I've been using oil only for a change and it's doing wonders, but I need something more moisturizing in the day so will add these to my next order.

Has anyone here tried bentonite clay, AKA the aztec healing clay?
I just started using this recently and agree it's amazing (and so cheap!)! I put some on my chest and it's helping with the décolletage lines. I found a review from a few years ago where a lady was using it as a body mask from her bum all the way up to her face. Not sure I'm that brave yet. 😬

Lalalalaaaaaa85

VIP Member
Hello everyone, I'm new on this thread. In my early 30s and I'm starting to notice fine lines on my forehead and around my mouth. My skin is quite dry/dehydrated so I haven't ever really struggled with spots or acne but dehydration makes the fine lines more prominent in my case, which makes me feel like the wrinkles are coming faster than they actually are. I have a tiny sample size of Sunday Riley Luna oil, which I'm trying to finish before I move on to my The Ordinary retinoid serum.

I don't want to get botox just yet, no prejudice against it. I'm just a bit frail mental health and self image wise, so I feel like it would be a slippery slope for me. I want to build a good routine with bare minimum steps. At the moment, I just want to introduce a decent serum/treatment routine for early signs of aging, and maybe to brighten skin.

My existing routine is pretty bare bones. I don't use a face wash, except if I've worn some concealer that day, or if I've been out and about a lot. Apart from that, it's just washing my face with water, moisturizing and SPF. (And the serum at night.) Has anyone used the Luna oil? Do you really find that retinol/retinoids work? And anyone has other suggestions?
I’m by no means an oracle but some thoughts I had reading your post. Is there a reason you don’t use a cleanser? Especially at night if you’ve been wearing spf I would highly recommend you start to cleanse. I double cleanse at night to ensure I’ve removed all spf etc. A nice cleansing balm will nourish your skin too.

If your skin is dry you should introduce toner to your routine too. I either put the toner in my hands and Pat on after cleansing or spray it on (I have a toner in a spray bottle) don’t bother with cotton pads as you lose product into the pad. I will often cleanse, toner, serum, toner, moisturiser…all these products travel into your skin better with water which is in essence what toner is.

Serum wish hyaluronic acid is a good starting acid/serum. The ordinary do a nice cheap one. Toner wise I love the Aldi ones 😂 but any toner that lists water first followed by humectant like glycine, aloe, hyaluronic etc will hydrate your skin.

If you decide to introduce retinol do so slowly and allow your skin to build up to it so at first I’d say just twice a week in the evening and build from there. Make sure you’re using spf every day if you are using retinol.

ouroboros

VIP Member
For those that have Botox, how long would you wait before using an AHA, glycolic acid and retinol (obv not at the same time)? I had mine done on Thursday so I’m thinking is it ok to crack on now, I’ve just been using cleanser moisturiser and eye cream since
Yeah you're fine. It's basically only while you have open wounds from the needle. 24 hours minimum is my rule.

• Heart

flamingo29

Chatty Member
Just wanted to give an update after purchasing this.. it’s worked absolute wonders for my skin! I thought my skin was decent before but after using this once a day/sometimes twice it’s gone so radiant. At first I did get some spots appearing but I think it’s called ‘retinol uglies’. They’ve gone now and it’s left looking really well. I also purchased the boots own brand glow serum which I think was also about £6 and that’s brilliant too just to wear on a no makeup day
Ohhh I was tempted to try this, might give it a go now 🙊

I have spent a lot money on skincare since I joined this thread 🙈 BUT I was so bad with using anything, going to bed with makeup still on etc so if it means I actually have a routine now then I’m sure my skin will thank me (my bank balance not so much 🤣)

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
Dry or dehydrated skin - look at getting a spritz/toner in your routine. I use the Elemis ginseng toner on my face (ginseng is great for dehydrated skin - rose water is a lovely spritz) followed by the hado labo super hydrating lotion. Applying it to damp skin locks in the moisture, that’s my holy grail. I love the weleda skin food and it’s designed for dry and rough skin. Even just them 3 steps shouldn’t over complicate your skin and exacerbate your fatigue. I suffer with fatigue and this is probably the one thing I never let slip

You could look at putting in a oil in your routine too, for ageing skin you could look at introducing a retinol into your routine at night. And an AHA would be great if you’re wanting to brighten your complexion. If devices are within your budget etc then head over to the beyond skincare thread - loads of rave reviews for the nuface mini or the current body led mask (i’ve been using this for a month and love it) - they are ££££ but worth it.
I have rapidly ageing skin after a few years of trauma and taking a LOT of medication.
My once olive complexion is now permanently 'ruddy'.
I have very deep wrinkles and v tight dry skin with enlarged pores and jowls as well as crepey neck.
I also have an ocd type habit of picking skin 🙄
I have been unwell for a long time but prompted by a chat on another thread decided to sort through my cosmetics tonight and found an array of products from the ordinary and have put on niacinimide tonight , not sure what to layer it with as needs moisture.
I have squalene and several moisturisers.
I'm not very good at the layering thing, always seem to end up with pilling which kind of exacerbates my skin picking behaviour.
I have very poor self care skills due to my disability, pain and fatigue as well as severe depression which makes it hard to consistently work with a regime so just tend to bung on one product but my face brings me down.
I don't know how to wear make up in order to even out my skin tone. Have always been a sloppy suntan lotion user and am now an ex smoker but think the damage has been done!
Amy advice gladly recieved!

• Heart