Siobhan O’Hagan #24 Spreading Covid from a rented beemer, no-one is safe from Shiv the Redeemer

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't mind her. She's practicing what she preaches and is constantly educating herself to keep up with new and current developments in fitness and nutrition. She was obviously using the Oven as a stepping stone while she did her EIQ certification and pre/post natal qualifications.

What does Shiv do- a few free/low cost online courses to pass the time (and I've only seen 2 mentioned in the past....3-4yrs maybe?) She puts ZERO effort into her program, and as for being a professional athlete who trains twice daily sometimes....:poop:
Good to call me out - I was being cheaply cynical.

Good luck to her if that's the case

Reactions: 10
I hope you had a nice weekend. It doesn't feel like a Monday to me because I have been in hotel quarantine for 5 nights/6 days now and all the days felt the same. Although I did eat may too much yesterday, which seems to be a Sunday habit I need to drill down on.

ANYWAY. I have had so many people ask for my opinion on Operation Transformation.

(If you're not from/in Ireland you might not have heard of it, but to briefly give an idea of what it is about - it is an Irish version of Biggest Loser, although not as bad - as far as I know)

I feel some caveats are important here:

1. I've never watched it. I was always skeptical about weighing yourself as measure of progress. I have seen several clips of it over the years so I do have some sort of an opinion to give.

2. I like Kathryn Thomas. I only know the other people on it through clips I've seen so I should reserve judgement.

3. This is nothing against the participants or 'leaders'. These are people who want to make positive changes to their lives and should be commended for that.

Okay - some thoughts:

Firstly, my whole purpose at the moment is helping women feel happier about their bodies and improve their relationship with food, while focusing on getting fitter and stronger.

I believe that focusing on the number on the scales can be detrimental to getting fitter and stronger. This is because if you build muscle, you may see the scales go up (but, ironically, look leaner). I have had clients that were in "Weigh-In" clubs that were told to cut back on the gym because the scales didn't go down. Seriously. This happens a lot.

So if the person's goal is to get leaner/fitter/stronger, they might be actually moving away from their goal if they start pursuing a number on the scales instead.

Secondly, low calorie diets are dangerous to our physical and mental health. If you are putting your body under too much of a calorie deficit, your body will be stressed and some normal functions (like the reproductive system) can start shutting down.

You might see the scales go down in the short-term and that might motivate you to keep going (or you might not if raised cortisol levels are preventing fat oxidation). But what happens when your body is crying out for nutrients for energy but you are too worried about that number on the scales going up? Do you keep starving yourself or do you think you are failure because you give in to your natural urges? The mental implications from low-calorie diets really need to be high-lighted. Even if you think the diet "works".

Thirdly, and this is important: You can't shame yourself to make long term healthy changes. And you definitely can't have somebody else shame you into changing your habits (Some of the old videos I've seen of the "doctors" giving "advice" actually shocked and saddened me). Change has to come from a place of self-acceptance and a pursuit of self-improvement. Yes, if you are really uncomfortable with your weight, you might be really determined to make changes... but what happens when you start getting comfortable? Where's the motivation there? Or when you can't keep the changes up and you are shamed by somebody else. That can spiral.

Fourthly (is that a word?), I've seen the argument put forward by the doctor from the show that if anyone has an eating disorder, they just shouldn't watch it. This is obvious. But I have taken on thousands of clients over the last few years and the sad thing is, because of diet culture, that so many women don't realise that they either have disordered eating, or are on the cusp of it. Watching people get shamed for not losing weight, or praised for extremely fast weight loss, can have huge negative mental effects on so many people. Why do we even risk it when the statistics around the fatalities of eating disorders are so worrying in Ireland?

Now I can't write this email without talking about the positives.

Operation Transformation seems to make it's way into the communities and bring them together to get active. Social activities - I'm all for that!

I also believe that they are trying to make more of an effort to focus on healthier habits rather than the scales, but unfortunately I believe they are still weighing and talking about the Leaders' weight each week.

I feel like I could go on, but this is getting very long.

I have been following the petition to get OT decommissioned on the Instagram page of Sinéad Crowe. If you feel like the state broadcaster should not be supporting OT, you can sign the petition here (over 8,000 people have already signed).

I also had a thought this morning as I watched clips of the amazing dancers on Dancing With The Stars. They will might drop some body fat and get fitter because they are moving more each week to practice all the exciting dances. What if we used something like that to promote a healthier Ireland? A show where people try new activities etc? With no measuring or weighing but just commending them on their efforts in a new activity?

Just an idea.

Thanks for reading,

Siobhan "the slower the better" O'Hagan

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I hope you had a nice weekend. It doesn't feel like a Monday to me because I have been in hotel quarantine for 5 nights/6 days now and all the days felt the same. Although I did eat may too much yesterday, which seems to be a Sunday habit I need to drill down on.

ANYWAY. I have had so many people ask for my opinion on Operation Transformation.

(If you're not from/in Ireland you might not have heard of it, but to briefly give an idea of what it is about - it is an Irish version of Biggest Loser, although not as bad - as far as I know)

I feel some caveats are important here:

1. I've never watched it. I was always skeptical about weighing yourself as measure of progress. I have seen several clips of it over the years so I do have some sort of an opinion to give.

2. I like Kathryn Thomas. I only know the other people on it through clips I've seen so I should reserve judgement.

3. This is nothing against the participants or 'leaders'. These are people who want to make positive changes to their lives and should be commended for that.

Okay - some thoughts:

Firstly, my whole purpose at the moment is helping women feel happier about their bodies and improve their relationship with food, while focusing on getting fitter and stronger.

I believe that focusing on the number on the scales can be detrimental to getting fitter and stronger. This is because if you build muscle, you may see the scales go up (but, ironically, look leaner). I have had clients that were in "Weigh-In" clubs that were told to cut back on the gym because the scales didn't go down. Seriously. This happens a lot.

So if the person's goal is to get leaner/fitter/stronger, they might be actually moving away from their goal if they start pursuing a number on the scales instead.

Secondly, low calorie diets are dangerous to our physical and mental health. If you are putting your body under too much of a calorie deficit, your body will be stressed and some normal functions (like the reproductive system) can start shutting down.

You might see the scales go down in the short-term and that might motivate you to keep going (or you might not if raised cortisol levels are preventing fat oxidation). But what happens when your body is crying out for nutrients for energy but you are too worried about that number on the scales going up? Do you keep starving yourself or do you think you are failure because you give in to your natural urges? The mental implications from low-calorie diets really need to be high-lighted. Even if you think the diet "works".

Thirdly, and this is important: You can't shame yourself to make long term healthy changes. And you definitely can't have somebody else shame you into changing your habits (Some of the old videos I've seen of the "doctors" giving "advice" actually shocked and saddened me). Change has to come from a place of self-acceptance and a pursuit of self-improvement. Yes, if you are really uncomfortable with your weight, you might be really determined to make changes... but what happens when you start getting comfortable? Where's the motivation there? Or when you can't keep the changes up and you are shamed by somebody else. That can spiral.

Fourthly (is that a word?), I've seen the argument put forward by the doctor from the show that if anyone has an eating disorder, they just shouldn't watch it. This is obvious. But I have taken on thousands of clients over the last few years and the sad thing is, because of diet culture, that so many women don't realise that they either have disordered eating, or are on the cusp of it. Watching people get shamed for not losing weight, or praised for extremely fast weight loss, can have huge negative mental effects on so many people. Why do we even risk it when the statistics around the fatalities of eating disorders are so worrying in Ireland?

Now I can't write this email without talking about the positives.

Operation Transformation seems to make it's way into the communities and bring them together to get active. Social activities - I'm all for that!

I also believe that they are trying to make more of an effort to focus on healthier habits rather than the scales, but unfortunately I believe they are still weighing and talking about the Leaders' weight each week.

I feel like I could go on, but this is getting very long.

I have been following the petition to get OT decommissioned on the Instagram page of Sinéad Crowe. If you feel like the state broadcaster should not be supporting OT, you can sign the petition here (over 8,000 people have already signed).

I also had a thought this morning as I watched clips of the amazing dancers on Dancing With The Stars. They will might drop some body fat and get fitter because they are moving more each week to practice all the exciting dances. What if we used something like that to promote a healthier Ireland? A show where people try new activities etc? With no measuring or weighing but just commending them on their efforts in a new activity?

Just an idea.

Thanks for reading,

Siobhan "the slower the better" O'Hagan

But she hasn't even watched it? I have misgivings about Operation Transformation, of course, but it's really not like The Biggest Loser. It's also not like it was years ago. It could be argued that there should not be *any* weight loss shows really, but OT is the best I've seen actually. Don't like weighing in skimpy underwear etc, but:
- they actually get worried if they lost *too* much weight
- they don't want them doing too much exercise, more about activity
- dietician tries to get them eating food that suits the whole family and UPS calories if she thinks they're too low
- they try to counsel them not to be disheartened if there's little movement one week. They take stress, menstrual cycle etc into account
- they do it while at home living their normal life

I mean, at least *watch* it before commenting. And I'm not saying it's a show that deserves to be on - BEAT, the eating disorder charity thinks it's harmful, and that has to be taken seriously. I'm only saying there are some positives, and it's not as horrendous as Biggest Loser. I would also put more faith in BEAT's assessment and experience than that of a trainer who wants people to pay her money instead of using the free RTE OT app...

Reactions: 20
She doesn't watch Operation Transformation but can spew out a full email on it. Firstly if you've been asked your opinion on it but haven't watched it either don't give your opinion or watch it. Secondly, was she really asked her opinion or is she just jumping on the bandwagon, thirdly why does anyone want the opinion of a professional pizza eater and finally, if you're on your last point say finally not fourthly.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
But she hasn't even watched it? I have misgivings about Operation Transformation, of course, but it's really not like The Biggest Loser. It's also not like it was years ago. It could be argued that there should not be *any* weight loss shows really, but OT is the best I've seen actually. Don't like weighing in skimpy underwear etc, but:
- they actually get worried if they lost *too* much weight
- they don't want them doing too much exercise, more about activity
- dietician tries to get them eating food that suits the whole family and UPS calories if she thinks they're too low
- they try to counsel them not to be disheartened if there's little movement one week. They take stress, menstrual cycle etc into account
- they do it while at home living their normal life

I mean, at least *watch* it before commenting. And I'm not saying it's a show that deserves to be on - BEAT, the eating disorder charity thinks it's harmful, and that has to be taken seriously. I'm only saying there are some positives, and it's not as horrendous as Biggest Loser. I would also put more faith in BEAT's assessment and experience than that of a trainer who wants people to pay her money instead of using the free RTE OT app...
Jumping on the bandwagon giving an opinion on a TV show she has never watched - not like shiv at all!!! I don't believe anyone asked for her opinion.

Also the OT diets are never low calorie but maybe 2000 calories is low calorie to shiv!

Reactions: 18
Who spews out a two page opinion on something they apparently haven’t watched?!

Queen of disordered eating believes weightloss show is having a negative effect on people with disordered eating?! So Siobhan sharing “I’m up three kg from a bender and dominos” and “I’ve dropped two kg from being in a *slight* calorie deficit, doing 30,000 steps a day and three gym sessions a day” is normal and doesn’t indicate serious issues around food and over exercise?! Maybe you shouldn’t share you twit.

she’s a liar. Said she has followed the petition to have it shut down. Followed? She bloody shared it before Christmas. That’s not following Siobhan, thats actively participating. Which is grand. Just don’t lie. Reeks of trying to give an opinion on something topical but not actually form any sort of conclusion so she can appeal to both sides.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
My favourite part is how she compares it to the biggest loser? The biggest loser is literally 20 people, some of whom weigh nearly 28 stone, living together for weeks and actually competing for who can lose the most weight, with one person losing 7 stone in 7 weeks….

Yes OT may be triggering for people and I know a lot of people suffer with disordered eating but come on it’s not a “competition” like the biggest loser, she’s a melt honestly just jumping on the bandwagon as usual

Reactions: 12
Wow, does not know much about the programme but is directing ppl to a page to get the show decommissioned.

Is she just trying to take out the competition?

That email is bias.
Don't watch alot of it myself but never have they asked for a large weight lost. Always in 2 or 3lb per week. Always talk about % fat loss and on occasions they have discussed how muscle mass is taken into consideration.

Reactions: 8
Does she honestly think it’s the air conditioning that makes her scalp itchy and not her god awful lack of hygiene??? Blow drying sweat into your head and not washing your hair for at least a week after multiple sweaty work outs? Nah, but the air conditioning Yep, that’s the one shiv.
This one is a complete bleeping joke of a woman. I live in the tropics this last 4 years and I’ve yet to hear of this excuse. Yeah air con units remove moisture from the air. But I have yet to meet one person living here that has a dry scalp over it. Put it this way - it’s our wet season right now so I have the aircon blasting all day as it’s stinking hot. Neither me, my hubby or little Bub have dry skin anywhere and we might moisturise once a month. I’d say some head and shoulders once a day or every second day might sort her out.

Reactions: 11
Instead of promoting a petition to have it cancelled, why did she not advise ppl that if it is triggering issues with it just turn it off, don't watch it?
That's what she advises ppl to do with her stories.

Reactions: 20
Didn't she used to openly advise skipping meals and cutting your calories down if you are going out on the sesh?

This rhetoric against OT plays into her new business plan, she's pushing the "eat what you want, don't diet diets"

I get how OT especially previous versions can be triggering for some and focusing on weight loss only can be dangerous. But OT look at a number of items including mental health of the contestants. They are trying to get the contestants to live healthy lifestyles and educate the nation on being healthier.

I agree that focusing on weight loss and starving yourself is not healthy and many struggle with eating disorders.

I'm a big believer in eating healthy and being active and your body will adapt to what is best for you. Siobhan may be right on this point but she isn't living healthy, boozing all the time despite staying in a calorie deficit is not healthy. Eating takeaway everyday, is not a healthy lifestyle.

Reactions: 9
That email is shocking, for someone who hasn't watched it how can she have such an opinion on it. Just looking to stay relevant? I personally think this year has been more focused on other things apart from weight and they don't have to wear the little skimpy top and shorts anymore which always bugged me. It should always have been a choice. But I think It's all about trying to achieve a healthier sustainable lifestyle and gets communities together to exercise unlike her eats a pizza and walks fricking 50k steps the next day like . Not a fad diet and its all foods that most families can eat together

Reactions: 8
"Last dinner alone"

Hmmmmm, think there may be many years of them ahead of you Shiv unless your counting the cats😂😂👍

• Haha
Reactions: 35
That email is shocking, for someone who hasn't watched it how can she have such an opinion on it. Just looking to stay relevant? I personally think this year has been more focused on other things apart from weight and they don't have to wear the little skimpy top and shorts anymore which always bugged me. It should always have been a choice. But I think It's all about trying to achieve a healthier sustainable lifestyle and gets communities together to exercise unlike her eats a pizza and walks fricking 50k steps the next day like . Not a fad diet and its all foods that most families can eat together
Oh I'm glad about the outfits! Haven't seen this year's yet (in the UK so it's a faff getting set up and then usually trying to binge everything if it works) but had seen huge changes in it since the start anyway. It's mostly very sensible and encouraging. Unfortunately some people will be triggered by any diet show at all, but as they go...it's pretty benign. And of course she wouldn't like something that tells you to mostly cook food at home, go for a walk and throw in a short workout that fits in with an otherwise busy life. No cash in that for Shiv.

Reactions: 10
Imagine this scenario in any corporate job, the boss sends you a document and asks you to review it and report back to him. You never read it and send a 2 page email response with the first line “I didn’t read the report, but here are my opinions on it”.
How successful do you think this person would be in a professional role?

I think we solved the mystery of why she couldn’t even got a trainee actuary role after college and instead worked in HR, but couldn’t cut it there either...

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.