Shamima Begum

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I obviously don't want her to come back here, but it is selfish of us to make a much poorer country deal with her, she is our responsibility for better or worse. What is scary is that the lack of evidence surrounding her crimes may mean she is not even imprisoned. As other people have said, she was young when she went there, and I blame her family more than her almost, her dad had been involved in some very ISIS esque activity from what I;ve seen online

Reactions: 4
Well it should we are the ones who will have to pay for her and suffer any/all consequences at her evil hands! Also of course she is willing to come back and face our criminal process, the British justice system is a joke! At most she will go to prison for a while with all the perks that brings! We have more than enough foreign criminals using our tame justice system rather than face consequences back home! At best we could hope to get intelligence from her.But let’s face it she would be asked nicely to give the information, and she would politely decline loool. She’s knows full well once she is back on British soil she is free😡
Then the majority need to get onto the government to ensure they have have fair and proportionate sentences if they don't think they already do.

I obviously don't want her to come back here, but it is selfish of us to make a much poorer country deal with her, she is our responsibility for better or worse. What is scary is that the lack of evidence surrounding her crimes may mean she is not even imprisoned. As other people have said, she was young when she went there, and I blame her family more than her almost, her dad had been involved in some very ISIS esque activity from what I;ve seen online
Massive safeguarding issues. We really did fail to protect these children.

Reactions: 3
And so
Then the majority need to get onto the government to ensure they have have fair and proportionate sentences if they don't think they already do.

Massive safeguarding issues. We really did fail to protect these children.
More so her parents failed her people need to take responsibility for their selves more in this country! Also her father is no innocent! There is only so much can be done outside of the home.

The reason the ideology, motive whatever exists in the way that is does, has been allowed to breed in this country in the way it has, is because of our bend-over-backwards society.

Take countries that are clear about how they are run, their rules etc - locals are actually quite proud of the country they live in - welcome you to live there, but on THEIR terms. They never have to deal with this tit.

The U.K. is easily one of the MOST accommodating countries in the world. People are free to believe, dress and worship in ways that are most comfortable for them. There’s no pressure for anyone to conform to the mainstream (although that is disappearing before our eyes). Yet here we are as usual (because it’s so chic), crying to the rooftops about how racist we are. People flock here in droves looking for a better life. We give and we give and we give and it’s never enough. No one is proud to British anymore. It’s so sad.

Tell me, if you truly identify as a Brit, no matter how heinous you find air strikes etc in foreign countries, would you clap your hands with glee for your fellow Brits being murdered at a pop concert or indeed try to orchestrate something similar yourself or as part of a group?

People enable this all the time with the usual offended/horrified/traumatised by some far-right yob’s view on Twitter, whilst remaining indifferent or even empathetic towards those doing the bombing and beheading.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
The reason the ideology, motive whatever exists in the way that is does, has been allowed to breed in this country in the way it has, is because of our bend-over-backwards society.

Take countries that are clear about how they are run, their rules etc - locals are actually quite proud of the country they live in - welcome you to live there, but on THEIR terms. They never have to deal with this tit.

The U.K. is easily one of the MOST accommodating countries in the world. People are free to believe, dress and worship in ways that are most comfortable for them. There’s no pressure for anyone to conform to the mainstream (although that is disappearing before our eyes). Yet here we are as usual (because it’s so chic), crying to the rooftops about how racist we are. People flock here in droves looking for a better life. We give and we give and we give and it’s never enough. No one is proud to British anymore. It’s so sad.

Tell me, if you truly identify as a Brit, no matter how heinous you find air strikes etc in foreign countries, would you clap your hands with glee for your fellow Brits being murdered at a pop concert or indeed try to orchestrate something similar yourself or as part of a group?

People enable this all the time with the usual offended/horrified/traumatised by some far-right yob’s view on Twitter, whilst remaining indifferent or even empathetic towards those doing the bombing and beheading.
Ive not seen anyone be indifferent or even clap their hands at the thought of people being murdered for an ideology. I've not seen anyone say she shouldn't face any consequences so you are leaping quite a bit there

Reactions: 8
Her

Exactly this and how very brave of your to Say so 🤲🏿🤲🏿👏🏿👏🏿

I w
Ive not seen anyone be indifferent or even clap their hands at the thought of people being murdered for an ideology. I've not seen anyone say she shouldn't face any consequences so you are leaping quite a bit there
I agree with most of this... but actually a friend who works in a London uni came in after 9/11 and all of her muslim students were cheering about it... This is clearly a tiny minority, but it does happen

• Angry
Reactions: 5
By that, I mean Begum and the like. If you truly identified as British, you may condemn it, yes, but you would not feel personally attacked by an air strike that took place overseas, nor want to avenge it by killing people in your own country.

I agree with most of this... but actually a friend who works in a London uni came in after 9/11 and all of her muslim students were cheering about it... This is clearly a tiny minority, but it does happen
Someone who lived locally, and ran a kebab shop had their windows shattered after celebrating Lee Rigby’s murder on Facebook.

Many people that live in Britain but are not British, neither care about Britain nor identify as British. Unfortunately many only care about the perks Britain can give Eg NHS etc. There is little integration and many never feel the need to even learn to speak English, let alone seek any British cultures, so how could they identify as British. There are many parts of Uk that are very dominated by minorities so much so that as British person you become the minority. I fear Britain has very much lost its Pride and identity. I am British and I am no longer Proud to be so, the country is a total mess. Lack of funding for most things NHS is on its knees, social housing on its knees, and lets not go there with the crime rate, so bad that things like shop lifting have not even been entertained by Police for many many years. I feel like we are not allowed to be proud to be British no Flags flying in our city centres etc. Go to USA and the flag is flown everywhere and you can see how patriotic they are. Sad really when this county was fought for. While it’s great we welcome people and their beliefs, cultures, etc we do not need to dull down ours,and should encourage everyone to come together and identify as British. Quite how I’m not sure, but the division in this country is way too wide.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Many people that live in Britain but are not British, neither care about Britain nor identify as British. Unfortunately many only care about the perks Britain can give Eg NHS etc. There is little integration and many never feel the need to even learn to speak English, let alone seek any British cultures, so how could they identify as British. There are many parts of Uk that are very dominated by minorities so much so that as British person you become the minority. I fear Britain has very much lost its Pride and identity. I am British and I am no longer Proud to be so, the country is a total mess. Lack of funding for most things NHS is on its knees, social housing on its knees, and lets not go there with the crime rate, so bad that things like shop lifting have not even been entertained by Police for many many years. I feel like we are not allowed to be proud to be British no Flags flying in our city centres etc. Go to USA and the flag is flown everywhere and you can see how patriotic they are. Sad really when this county was fought for. While it’s great we welcome people and their beliefs, cultures, etc we do not need to dull down ours,and should encourage everyone to come together and identify as British. Quite how I’m not sure, but the division in this country is way too wide.
LOL. I am speechless.

Reactions: 6
LOL. I am speechless.
@Book As someone who has been critical of her on this thread, I find this offensive. My partner isn't british.... but has all of the same values we do. he is an EU national who works in th eNHS and this is exactly the type of abuse he has started to suffer since the brexit vote. What you have said is in no way what i would consider "british values", as I would consider those as tolerance and acceptance of other nationalities, and, in my view, this is what makes the UK great, hence that so many people want to live here. Regarding the NHS, how many employees do you think they would have without foreign nationals?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
It doesn't matter what the majority think. She's a British criminal and we need to deal with her appropriately. We don't get to wash out hands of our problems
This is the crux of it. It’s understandable that people don’t want her here, but she’s a british citizen so she is our problem unfortunately.

We expect other countries to sort out their criminals, it’s only fair we do the same. The justice system not being very good is not a reason to leave poorer countries to deal with her.

Also America is a terrible country to draw comparisons with when it comes to patriotism, I do not want the uk to be more like America, thanks.

Reactions: 7
I've never understood why people want others to forgo their culture and assimilate completely into British culture when they come here. One of the nice things about living in the UK is that you can find shops on the high street that sell Chinese spices, or Indian spices etc. You can try the cuisine of almost every country in the world, experience different festivals etc. To me, that diversity is a strength. People focus on an individual who commits crimes, rather than the many who live peacefully by our side.

What even is "British" culture anyway? Christianity isn't a native religion. Fish and chips isn't originally a British thing. Our language is the result of invasion. Our main dish is Chicken tikka masala. We're now even adopting American consumerism culture in terms of Black Friday and Cyber Monday etc. I guess we have May Day and Morris dancing? But they're often shunned by most British people. I don't think British culture has ever really been that strong, it's a consequence of us being an island and having been invaded over the years. I guess Wales and Scotland have unique customs etc, although it's important to note sometimes the English tried to eradicate them (by banning the use of the Welsh language and removing its status, etc).

Immigration was welcomed by Britain initially. The 1948 British Nationality Act said that all Commonwealth citizens could have British passports and work in the UK. We lost so many men in the wars and we brought people over to help rebuild the country again. Seems like now things have come full circle and people resent them.

I do find most people who bemoan those who do not learn the language, do not share the same disdain for British people who holiday / retire to Spain without knowing any Spanish. They also often have poor command of their beloved English language.

I know I'm rambling. I just think people bemoaning immigration because it "destroys our culture" is the height of hypocrisy, considering how a) our culture is largely a mixture of those from invaders and more recently immigration, b) we welcomed immigration to get the country running again, c) the cultural genocide the British Empire was responsible for.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I've never understood why people want others to forgo their culture and assimilate completely into British culture when they come here. One of the nice things about living in the UK is that you can find shops on the high street that sell Chinese spices, or Indian spices etc. You can try the cuisine of almost every country in the world, experience different festivals etc. To me, that diversity is a strength. People focus on an individual who commits crimes, rather than the many who live peacefully by our side.

What even is "British" culture anyway? Christianity isn't a native religion. Fish and chips isn't originally a British thing. Our language is the result of invasion. Our main dish is Chicken tikka masala. We're now even adopting American consumerism culture in terms of Black Friday and Cyber Monday etc. I guess we have May Day and Morris dancing? But they're often shunned by most British people. I don't think British culture has ever really been that strong, it's a consequence of us being an island and having been invaded over the years. I guess Wales and Scotland have unique customs etc, although it's important to note sometimes the English tried to eradicate them (by banning the use of the Welsh language and removing its status, etc).

Immigration was welcomed by Britain initially. The 1948 British Nationality Act said that all Commonwealth citizens could have British passports and work in the UK. We lost so many men in the wars and we brought people over to help rebuild the country again. Seems like now things have come full circle and people resent them.

I do find most people who bemoan those who do not learn the language, do not share the same disdain for British people who holiday / retire to Spain without knowing any Spanish. They also often have poor command of their beloved English language.

I know I'm rambling. I just think people bemoaning immigration because it "destroys our culture" is the height of hypocrisy, considering how a) our culture is largely a mixture of those from invaders and more recently immigration, b) we welcomed immigration to get the country running again, c) the cultural genocide the British Empire was responsible for.
100% agree with all of this. Nothing made me more angry than retired british people living in Spain saying they had voted Brexit as there was too much immigration in the UK, it;s a total embarassment that people can be so stupid imo. And imagine our food culture without all of the outside influence!! I personally wouldn't want to go back to a time when olive oil was only sold in tiny bottles in chemist's like it was when my mum was a child

Reactions: 9
I always found it funny how when British people go to live in another country they are ‘expats’ but when people come to live here they are ‘immigrants’. They are the same thing just one word has more negative connotations than the other.

Reactions: 7
100% agree with all of this. Nothing made me more angry than retired british people living in Spain saying they had voted Brexit as there was too much immigration in the UK, it;s a total embarassment that people can be so stupid imo. And imagine our food culture without all of the outside influence!! I personally wouldn't want to go back to a time when olive oil was only sold in tiny bottles in chemist's like it was when my mum was a child
As petty as it sounds, I am hoping that the people who retire to Spain and voted Brexit feel the full negative consequences of their actions if Boris doesn't pull his "oven-ready" deal out of his arse.

Reactions: 1
As petty as it sounds, I am hoping that the people who retire to Spain and voted Brexit feel the full negative consequences of their actions if Boris doesn't pull his "oven-ready" deal out of his arse.
Same, they already must be as their pensions are worth so much less as our economy starts to tank. Friends of my parents voted brexit , they own a flat in Spain and are (probably were now) planning to retire there, i mean wtf?!

Reactions: 2
Same, they already must be as their pensions are worth so much less as our economy starts to tank. Friends of my parents voted brexit , they own a flat in Spain and are (probably were now) planning to retire there, i mean wtf?!
The hypocrisy is absurd isn't it?

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.