Shamima Begum

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I mean that does ring true as stupid as it is, and obviously if we remove the whole age thing

It doesn’t seem to be certain whether Shamima knew she would have to get married more or less straight away. All the new arriving single women were put in a special house (even has a specific name) which they would only be able to leave once they got married. I personally have some doubts that the ISIS propaganda videos would mention that but who knows
Well maybe they do ? as it seems the women are complaining subservient to their husbands and he said she was quiet happy with that arrangement, she obviously knew what was expected as an ISIS bride unless that’s how her upbringing was? Otherwise it’s extremely odd she would change her whole personality just to become a wife.
---
She was smuggled across the border by a Canadian asset. She does talk about that in the documentary, waiting in the bus station and then getting driven over the border. "Smuggled" doesn't mean she didn't go voluntarily, just that a people smuggler was involved.
---

I think to a teenage girl the thought of being able to get married and play house is probably quite appealing. Young girls can be incredibly naive.
That’s a recent revaluation is it not? There was no mention of the Canadian in the earlier days.
Someone said earlier in the thread she’s very dim so unless she’s studying in the camp or being told what to say by someone she seems pretty clued up on the law all of a sudden.

I find myself unable to come down firmly on one side or the other on this one (very unlike me).

I watched the documentary and have seen/read other interviews with her. A big issue (unfairly perhaps) is that she's not likeable. She comes across as surly, rude and unrepentant. She's also clearly lying about her role within the organisation. No way was she simply a normal housewife as she tries to maintain. She may well be traumatised, which is why she comes across so badly. She may well be fearful for her life, which is why she's lying about her role within ISIS.

But she was a kid, and kids do stupid things. I think it seems clear she realised almost immediately that she'd made a terrible mistake but felt trapped. However, if Intelligence say she would continue to be a threat that shouldn't be ignored either.

Reactions: 10
Well maybe they do ? as it seems the women are complaining subservient to their husbands and he said she was quiet happy with that arrangement, she obviously knew what was expected as an ISIS bride unless that’s how her upbringing was? Otherwise it’s extremely odd she would change her whole personality just to become a wife.
---

That’s a recent revaluation is it not? There was no mention of the Canadian in the earlier days.
Someone said earlier in the thread she’s very dim so unless she’s studying in the camp or being told what to say by someone she seems pretty clued up on the law all of a sudden.
Him being a Canadian asset is new. The fact she was taken across the border isn't. Did anyone ever believe 3 schools would travel across the border on their own and just rock up into a war zone?
---
I find myself unable to come down firmly on one side or the other on this one (very unlike me).

I watched the documentary and have seen/read other interviews with her. A big issue (unfairly perhaps) is that she's not likeable. She comes across as surly, rude and unrepentant. She's also clearly lying about her role within the organisation. No way was she simply a normal housewife as she tries to maintain. She may well be traumatised, which is why she comes across so badly. She may well be fearful for her life, which is why she's lying about her role within ISIS.

But she was a kid, and kids do stupid things. I think it seems clear she realised almost immediately that she'd made a terrible mistake but felt trapped. However, if Intelligence say she would continue to be a threat that shouldn't be ignored either.
I agree she's very unlikeable and that's a big part of the problem.

Reactions: 6
Him being a Canadian asset is new. The fact she was taken across the border isn't. Did anyone ever believe 3 schools would travel across the border on their own and just rock up into a war zone?
It’s easier than you think tbh if there’s connections waiting at the other side it’s straight forward, it’s getting through Heathrow would be the biggest hurdle.

Reactions: 1
Begum openly admits she has no regrets over joining ISIS, said that the Manchester attack was "justified" and "retaliation" for the UK's attacks on Syria (and took two whole years to apologize for those remarks she made as a fully-grown adult) in the very same year she claimed she regretted joining ISIS and quite evidently lacks any remorse for doing so, in addition to being utterly emotionless at watching people being beheaded literally in front of her eyes.

In my opinion, she should never be allowed back here, regardless of the guilt-trips, excuses and reasons her supporters come out with. The mere fact that she travelled to join ISIS - either brainwashed or of her own accord, and I suspect the latter - means that she poses a genuine threat to this country's security and safety, as does everyone who joins it (again, in my opinion). And if she did come back here, it would surely only be a matter of time before her whereabouts are discovered. No amount of legal protection is strong enough to hide you forever.

Reactions: 5
Begum openly admits she has no regrets over joining ISIS, said that the Manchester attack was "justified" and "retaliation" for the UK's attacks on Syria (and took two whole years to apologize for those remarks she made as a fully-grown adult) in the very same year she claimed she regretted joining ISIS and quite evidently lacks any remorse for doing so, in addition to being utterly emotionless at watching people being beheaded literally in front of her eyes.

In my opinion, she should never be allowed back here, regardless of the guilt-trips, excuses and reasons her supporters come out with. The mere fact that she travelled to join ISIS - either brainwashed or of her own accord, and I suspect the latter - means that she poses a genuine threat to this country's security and safety, as does everyone who joins it (again, in my opinion). And if she did come back here, it would surely only be a matter of time before her whereabouts are discovered. No amount of legal protection is strong enough to hide you forever.
Where do you think she should go? Bangladesh to be killed? Or should the Kurdish forces support her indefinitely? Because they won't and eventually she'll be freed.
I haven't seen anyone on this thread say she should come home because she's lovely and she didn't mean what she said. Quite the opposite in fact.
The fact remains she's a British national. Born, raised, and radicalised in the UK. We should not be washing our hands of her and expecting any other nation to deal with her.

Reactions: 8
Where do you think she should go? Bangladesh to be killed? Or should the Kurdish forces support her indefinitely? Because they won't and eventually she'll be freed.
I haven't seen anyone on this thread say she should come home because she's lovely and she didn't mean what she said. Quite the opposite in fact.
The fact remains she's a British national. Born, raised, and radicalised in the UK. We should not be washing our hands of her and expecting any other nation to deal with her.
I would be very happy if she faced the death penalty in Bangledesh.

You have this misconception that she will be monitored like on telly. That is not the reality

Reactions: 3
She may not even need monitoring. We really don’t know what danger she poses, if any. Apparently spending a few years in prison, saying sorry a bunch of times and going through a de-radicalisation programme makes one safe enough to travel the world

Reactions: 2
You have this misconception that she will be monitored like on telly. That is not the reality
Do you not think there should be some kind of monitoring for people that return from places like Syria? They estimate 400 have already. Are they not a threat?

Why can we monitor paedophiles and not terrorists?
---
The reality is she is not going to Bangladesh. No one can force that to happen and she's obviously not going to go willingly. Bangladesh says she is not and has never been a citizen.

So what it boils down to is Britain leaving it to Kurdish forces to deal with.

If the Kurds release her and she ends up either entering the UK illegally or committing some act of terrorism, who will be to blame? The Kurds who have said from day one they don't have the capacity to deal with exiled western terrorists?

I'll lay the blame solely with the British government. Those Kurdish forces defeated isis... With support from the US and UK who literally left in the middle of the night so we wouldn't have to be involved in dealing with the aftermath. Whichever way you paint it it's not RIGHT and it's not SAFE to leave her there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4

This is interesting…
It echoes what a few of us have been saying on here. I imagine it will fall on deaf ears though.
As a previous poster said, the current government will procrastinate and leave it up to the incoming Labour administration to make the hugely unpopular but inevitable move of bringing her home.

Reactions: 8
She obviously loves the attention.

Where did she get the cash for her new clothes? Media deals? She said there’s no money in the camps .

Reactions: 1
My first time doing this. Hopefully I've done it right

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.