Shamima Begum

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sjid Javid is just using her as part of his ongoing campaign to become the leader.

This play by him is very popular even if it is ultimately overturned. He's been working very hard and is who id put money on leading the Conservative party.

Reactions: 5
Sjid Javid is just using her as part of his ongoing campaign to become the leader.

This play by him is very popular even if it is ultimately overturned. He's been working very hard and is who id put money on leading the Conservative party.
I guess diversion tactics have been around in politics forever. How appropriate to focus on this girl now when I heard there have been others like her who have attempted to come back to the UK before. Idk, at first I felt a little sorry for her considering she may well have been brainwashed and had already lost two babies by the age of 19 but after watching her interview, I don't think she feels much remorse or responsibility for her actions at all. The fact she isn't fazed by severed heads is very worrying indeed. I don't think she should be let back into this country.

Reactions: 2
I think the right decision has been made, but a part of me still feels sorry for her.
I only feel sorry for all the victims and their families who have been killed or hurt by ISIS. This girl deserves no sympathy from anyone

Reactions: 6
I do not think she should be allowed back. At fifteen, I was very aware of terrorism and what it meant etc. She was fifteen, not some five-year-old that doesn't understand. Where were her parents? How did she even get to Syria? Why wasn't it questioned at the airport etc why a fifteen-year-old was traveling with two unrelated adults? Here, if you want to fly with a kid that doesn't have your surname, you need a letter of notarized consent from the parent/guardian. I am glad they've taken her citizenship away. If they let her in, the UK would have been a laughing stock to ISIS.

Reactions: 6
I only feel sorry for all the victims and their families who have been killed or hurt by ISIS. This girl deserves no sympathy from anyone
Agree. Bringing a terrorist sympathiser back to the UK, then spending tax payers money on deradicalisation classes and subsequent monitoring does not feel right to me. How do you know these classes work? Even attending NA/AA meetings, you are always that addict but having to take each day at a time, there is no sign off. I get the psychology behind it but surely there would always be an issue of trust. What happens when this girl wants to reunite with her husband, who may still have jihadi affiliation while she has been at deradicalisation classes? There will always be a link as they share children, who surely the husband has a right to see, but as he is a foreign national will not be sent to these classes! Spend that money on something better,families affected by Manchester attacks maybe?

Reactions: 3
So the backlash and lawyering at her being stripped of her citizenship has begun. Added to the mix is cries of racism igniting more hatred.

In my opinion, it’s pretty simple. If someone detests a country’s ideology, culture and custom so much to want it’s destruction, and rejects it fully to the point of moving away to a prescribed terrorist organisation, then it is tantamount to treason/national threat. If there is a legal opportunity to strip a citizenship because of that individual’s rejection of UK society, then so be it. That’s the crux of it for me - the rejection of citizenship being initiated by the individual through their rhetoric and actions.

Edit: to be honest I do flip flop on the issue because it is not an easy fix and whatever happens will cause ramifications.

Mixed feelings about this - and as a disclaimer, I don't sympathise with her. However, she was very obviously groomed from a very young age, and I think it's likely that she was heavily indoctrinated by her parents - the idea that religious extremism is anything but a bad thing didn't just spring from nowhere. Now, she's still only 19 and has already had 3 children, 2 of which have died, so I feel the UK should try to help the baby, who is completely innocent.

Revoking citizenship sets a very dangerous precedent, particularly because Javid did it based on public opinion and not on any laws of our democratic society. It makes you wonder what other popular opinions will be used to overturn laws and revoke citizenship - Corbyn's not very popular, shall we take away his citizenship? Obviously an extreme example lol, but now that it's happened it's likely to happen again. We can't be lead by mob rule.

I believe that she should be brought to the UK, placed in custody and tried for treason. The UK is a democracy and everyone has the right to a trial, regardless of what they've done. Also, we don't have the death penalty, which is what leaving her in Syria is tantamount to.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Also, sorry to double post but this quote from the Daily Heil article made me laugh:

Mr Javid previously stated Begum's son Jerah - apparently named after a 7th century Islamic warlord - could still be British despite his mother losing her citizenship.

Love the casual incitement of hatred there! Can you imagine: 'Jimmy's son Tony - apparently named after a 21st century Catholic warlord' I think not! (points to whoever can guess who 'Tony' refers to...)

Soprano? Good point there anyway.

The Times has a good piece where a guy actually interviewed her. He has a lot of experience with this and said her seeming lack of remorse is very common for women who have been so brainwashed thy still feel under threat even when away from their captors. He also pointed out the UK has let over 400 , mainly male, IS “converts” return.

• Sad
Soprano? Good point there anyway.

The Times has a good piece where a guy actually interviewed her. He has a lot of experience with this and said her seeming lack of remorse is very common for women who have been so brainwashed thy still feel under threat even when away from their captors. He also pointed out the UK has let over 400 , mainly male, IS “converts” return.
Tony Blair, haha!

Interesting point about brainwashing, I guess living in a war-torn hellscape is going to mess with your brain, she will be desensitised to some very horrible things which is prob why she comes off so apathetic in interviews.

I didn't know about the 400 figure! That's really interesting.

Tony Blair, haha!

Interesting point about brainwashing, I guess living in a war-torn hellscape is going to mess with your brain, she will be desensitised to some very horrible things which is prob why she comes off so apathetic in interviews.

I didn't know about the 400 figure! That's really interesting.
I knew that number as remember reading that the govt didn't have enough people to keep track of them when they returned. Idiot government should have never let them in.

She is starting to have a negative effect on the charities involved in providing assistance.
Something popped up on a facebook feed along the lines of giving money to help these people may be helping terrorists to return

Well its got a bit stranger
Seems her noncer hubbie (she was 15 he 23 when they married) thinks she should go to Holland with him.

The interview with "hubbie" has been shown on both BBC and Sky
In it he seems to think she is "no threat" to anyone as all she did was stay at home. He realises he has made "mistakes" etc
It's a total joke and these idiots seem to think its ok to bugger off abroad get involved with cults that hate us then pop back home when it all goes wrong

Despite everything, I'm sorry to hear just now her baby son has died. What is up with all three of her babies dying? Malnutrition?

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Won't be popular POV but to be blunt I wonder two things
  1. Was there actually a baby ?
  2. Is it actually dead or is it all a spin story
Sorry but I simply can't help but be cynical of any news coming out from there.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.