Sex And The City & And Just Like That #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't agree with the comment about Miranda being single and childless. I think her character did a good job of portraying how having children, being a wife having a career and friends is just really hard. I think that portrayal is necessary for the women going through that in real life and struggling. I like how her character doesn't paint it to be a perfect picture.

And in AJLT, I don't see her as portraying her life as horrible and hating it all, I feel like she's showing how you can lose yourself in it all, how it can become mundane and while you love your family, you can have regrets and what ifs. I mean acting on them is a different story...
Really though she has everything. Lots of money, a good job, a wardrobe full of designer clothes, an amazing house/or apartment,a hot husband and a child she loves. Cry me a river

Reactions: 18
I might just be a bit of a lush,but Miranda’s “drinking problem” is rather tame. No hangovers,no not turning up for work,no embarrassing incidents, no hiding booze,blackouts. No suggestion that she ever has any more than a few drinks. Sits every night eating ice cream with Steve. What have I missed????

• Heart
Reactions: 48
She clearly has been having blackouts though, she had no recollection or idea she had bought that book.

Also, on a different note I loved the scene when Carrie put Bigs ashes in the Barneys bag. Two of the things she loved most in New York, both gone forever.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 31
She clearly has been having blackouts though, she had no recollection or idea she had bought that book.

Also, on a different note I loved the scene when Carrie put Bigs ashes in the Barneys bag. Two of the things she loved most in New York, both gone forever.
Yeh you’re right….that was literally the only bit where I thought it was showing she was getting pissed at home….they should have done that bit earlier because before that moment it wasn’t really realistic.

Reactions: 7
When Carrie rang her and she was drinking red wine I think she was supposed to be a bit pissed.
I’m waiting for the scene when her and Che go rummaging for Brady’s girlfriends lube 🤢

Do we think Harry’s going to have prostate cancer? Now we are 3 months later? Poor Charlotte.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Ha,I did think that about the red wine,but it’s absolutely nothing that women all over the world don’t do all the time. I was just expecting something more gritty, especially since the original series was very much set in bars,all of them drinking cocktails…..

Reactions: 8
Yeah, she’s not believable as an alcoholic from what we’ve seen.

Reactions: 6

Exactly, no hangovers can really be genetic a lot of people heavily drink without them. I think going to a bar before class and being willing to wait to be served until it opens with no shame is a real low point, as is the mini bottles in her bag

Reactions: 11
I don’t think she’s supposed to be an alcoholic? Just drinking way too much and becoming a bit dependant.
I mean, we saw her going into a bar and wait until they started serving….drink problems come in lots of forms, sadly.

Reactions: 12
Yeah, she’s not believable as an alcoholic from what we’ve seen.
I'm not sure she's meant to be, not everyone that drinks too much is an alcoholic. She did say that if she felt she had a problem that she would stop. Once she realised that she's been drunken purchasing she immediately poured all of her booze away. Maybe the over drinking is meant to be more of a reflection as to how bored and unhappy she is with her life, not to indicate an addiction.

Reactions: 14
I'm not sure she's meant to be, not everyone that drinks too much is an alcoholic. She did say that if she felt she had a problem that she would stop. Once she realised that she's been drunken purchasing she immediately poured all of her booze away. Maybe the over drinking is meant to be more of a reflection as to how bored and unhappy she is with her life, not to indicate an addiction.
Yeh I get that. Just thought it was a bit fluffy 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 1
That’s true, but I think there are kind of two ways to define being an alcoholic, obviously there are loads of peoples for which it is a genetic component who have to stop and can never moderately drink. But I also think for he majority it is more a situational issue (being depressed, bored etc) I do think though she poured that away and will go and buy more. Most people do not just make that decisi8n from one moment to the next without more interventions

Reactions: 3
Exactly, no hangovers can really be genetic a lot of people heavily drink without them. I think going to a bar before class and being willing to wait to be served until it opens with no shame is a real low point, as is the mini bottles in her bag
I listened to a podcast about the episode (can’t remember which) and they said the drink that Miranda ordered in Starbucks (some sort of cold fruit drink) is known for being a good mixer for vodka. And they speculated that maybe she had poured the miniatures into it and then stashed the bottles in her bag.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
That’s true, but I think there are kind of two ways to define being an alcoholic, obviously there are loads of peoples for which it is a genetic component who have to stop and can never moderately drink. But I also think for he majority it is more a situational issue (being depressed, bored etc) I do think though she poured that away and will go and buy more. Most people do not just make that decisi8n from one moment to the next without more interventions
You obviously still hold out hope that the writers are capable of telling a story that approximates actual human behaviour? Maybe. To me that scene - given the general lack of empathy and nuance displayed in the storytelling so far - meant that the Miranda alcoholic / heavy drinker / whatever, who cares - storyline is done and dusted. But we’ll see!

Reactions: 3
A drunk and stoned Miranda mixes up Carrie's shopping request
"I said a pair of crocs, not a pet croc" 🐊

23.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Ok so when Carrie goes into the corner store and the nice old guy calls her Caroline… is that a lost in translation moment and he thinks her name is Caroline? Or is Carrie short for Caroline? Could possible be I’m a sleep deprived Mum too 😫

Reactions: 4
Really though she has everything. Lots of money, a good job, a wardrobe full of designer clothes, an amazing house/or apartment,a hot husband and a child she loves. Cry me a river
Sure, but having all those things doesn’t necessarily make life easier.
Ha,I did think that about the red wine,but it’s absolutely nothing that women all over the world don’t do all the time. I was just expecting something more gritty, especially since the original series was very much set in bars,all of them drinking cocktails…..
maybe that’s the point - trying to get across that you don’t have to be falling over smashed to have an issue with drink, it could just be prioritising it over more important things, or drinking daily. I feel like it’s more believable how they’ve done it to having her off her face in every episode.

I liked that she made reference to the pandemic too, as too much drink or too much food was/is definitely a consequence of the pandemic for a lot of people.

Reactions: 9
Ok so when Carrie goes into the corner store and the nice old guy calls her Caroline… is that a lost in translation moment and he thinks her name is Caroline? Or is Carrie short for Caroline? Could possible be I’m a sleep deprived Mum too 😫
When she signed her mortgage papers in season 4 she signed as Carrie Bradshaw, so I’d say that’s her name

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.