Secret Celebrity Gossip #165

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Some people are fat and they are allowed to have sex and to be shown having sex. Should fat people be condemned to a life of celibacy and loneliness just for carrying some extra weight? How many sex scenes have we seen with the leads smoking afterwards? No one is shouting about health then. If people just don’t want to see naked fat people then at least own it. It’s not promoting unhealthiness just to show someone bigger than size 14 on screen.
I don’t think smoking is healthy but realistically you don’t see that happening in movies now. I’m overweight and I don’t think it should be celebrated sorry. Big wake up call for me was when an elderly woman tried to give her seat up for me on the tube because she thought I was pregnant.
this isn’t about people who have medical issues etc,

Reactions: 12
At first glance I thought that photo was Katie Price not Katy Perry, and that she was in a costume for the back end of a pantomime horse ! :oops:😂

• Haha
Reactions: 28
wow i'd never heard of this. before I had no idea someone put a steel band salsa beat over Life In a Northern Town BY Dream Academy
I remember it charted the weeks after Diana died. Instantly takes me back to 1997.

Hearing it on 'Derry Girls' just made me smile. :)

Reactions: 13
Some people are fat and they are allowed to have sex and to be shown having sex. Should fat people be condemned to a life of celibacy and loneliness just for carrying some extra weight? How many sex scenes have we seen with the leads smoking afterwards? No one is shouting about health then. If people just don’t want to see naked fat people then at least own it. It’s not promoting unhealthiness just to show someone bigger than size 14 on screen.
She might be plump, but I don’t think she is obese or unhealthy. And less likely to suffer from osteoporosis in later life.
But if you want to be historically correct, it wasn’t fashionable to be thin in those days. Just look at paintings from that time.

Reactions: 34
I don’t think smoking is healthy but realistically you don’t see that happening in movies now. I’m overweight and I don’t think it should be celebrated sorry. Big wake up call for me was when an elderly woman tried to give her seat up for me on the tube because she thought I was pregnant.
So, if an actor has medical reasons to be fat then you deem them acceptable to have sex scenes but anybody who is fat should be kept covered up?

Reactions: 19
Shes not ‘overweight’ though, by any stretch of the imagination

Reactions: 11
I don’t care what size Nicola Coughlan is but I don’t think she’s a very good actress.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Not sure what the relevance of your anecdote is? To prove you're the 'right' sort of overweight person, one who disapproves of themselves?

Shooting people isn't healthy but people don't seem to get their knickers in a twist over gun fights in films. But god forbid people with wobbly bellies and bums are shown having sex. :rolleyes:

• Heart
Reactions: 43
How is an average looking woman having sex celebrating obesity? Do you feel that way about any other scene she's in or just ones where she is seen as desirable? If it bothers you that much don't look at it 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 47
I dont understand why having fat people on telly is "celebrating" or "promoting" it. A very high proportion of people are overweight so it seems ridiculous that TV should only show slim people.

I'm not saying being fat is healthy but being unhealthy and / or overweight isn't the worst crime in the world. Why should huge swathes of the population go unrepresented and why shouldn't they feel relieved when they see someone on telly who isn't conforming to an ideal?

The vast majority of people don't want to be overweight I'm sure but it's not as easy as just going on a diet or being less greedy. Some people are on medication that makes weight loss hard, some people use food as an emotional crutch / coping mechanism, we are bombarded with marketing to eat unhealthily, there are cultural traditions such as Christmas / easter where stuffing your face is the norm. I don't think that's healthy necessarily but it's nuts to only want to see people on screen attaining some ridiculously high, unrealistic standard.

I remember reading an interview with Benedict cumberbatch and he was saying he had to diet for Sherlock and it makes me laugh that no one wants to see a real person on telly as they are.

I'm actually size 8 and I've had an eating disorder my entire adult life and I feel crap that no one has my particular body type on TV too!

On another note. My father in law nearly had an apoplexy telling me about Lizzo performing at Glasto. Like he couldn't believe they're letting fat people on TV! Yet he'd never be rude to my overweight mother about her weight. Why do we think "real" people fat or thin should be airbrushed out of the media?!

• Heart
Reactions: 67
Nicola Coughlan is probably a size 12, 14 at most. She's just always pictured next to very thin people, so looks bigger.

I saw Nigella Lawson in the flesh once and she's no way as big as she looks on TV. I was struck by the huge volume of makeup she was wearing, though.

Reactions: 27
I haven’t watched Bridgerton but…
What is better..in the programme and real life
Man having an affair with a cuddly woman with intelligence and personality
Or
Man having an affair with with a slim glamorous woman with no intelligence apart from the best place to get hair/lips/eyelashes done as in Love Islamd

Reactions: 23
Showing actors who are plump or fat having sex is not celebrating them!

People who are overweight should be allowed to have sex and relationships with the same acceptance that thin/slim/fit people are afforded. Or should we all hide our grotesque bodies and deny ourself love and sex until we fit the ideal? It’s such a shaming, ugly mentality.

Many of us feel enough shame as it is. We don’t need other people to tell us we are not as attractive to the masses as a slim person. That people will not want to shag us. Incidentally we also do not need to be told we have put on weight either.

We already know.

SMH. A bit of acceptance in the media would be nice. I think it is a positive thing that they did that sex scene. Even though it was bloody terrible.

Shame does not motivate change. This has been proved in studies again and again. Shaming behaviour is now in the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) as an indicator of decreased wellbeing and mental/physical health. That is how unhealthy and damaging it is to people.

• Heart
Reactions: 63
Acknowledging something exists isn't the same as celebrating it or encouraging it.

Reactions: 20
I tell you what is unhealthy.
Bad attitudes to any body shapes.
Am applauding many of these posts who have it would seem very healthy attitudes.
Thank goodness there are some.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
It seems that the #bekind and #justweartheshorts brigade are often the ones that are actually disgusted by anybody that isn’t straight sized.

Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.