Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
Well, no not necessarily. There was a big community of Ugandan Asian people who were driven out of the country by Amin and given refuge in the UK. Different ethnic groups establish in countries far from their origin which we might find extraordinary, there's a big Japanese Brazilian community for example.
Yep, I think this was his reason for moving to UK. Parents forced out by Amin.
I think you were only allowed to bring so much out of the country, so a big loss to a family after years of toil and achievement. Bloody dictators 🤬

Reactions: 3

Remotecontrol

VIP Member
Does anyone remember the 1996 Eurovision winner Eimear Quinn and her song The Voice, it was beautiful. Unfortunately it was the UK entry Gina G and her song Ooh aah Just a Little Bit, that got the recognition.
I remember that. I remember being shocked it won as everything else was more lively/europop, but now I’m older it makes sense.

L3moning

VIP Member
I thought that too, and tbh I think it’s sick.
I’m not one of these people who’s easily offended, but they could have been edgy without using a song by him, of all people. It just shows a lack of creativity and imagination.
I think using a cover would been kind of okay, but using the actual song is a bit dodgy.

Chablis1

VIP Member
Oh this has really shocked me. I've read some of his poetry and enjoyed watching him in Peaky Blinders. But wasn't aware of that.
Goodness, I didn’t know this. I’ve met him - he lives a couple of doors down from a friend. Seemed a very charming man. Just goes to show, eh?

rootattoottoot

Gary’s latest showdown might be the unmasking of him. His grubby reputation is seemingly well known in the industry. He has some powerful enemies now. They might take this opportunity to irreparably damage his career/life.
yes i agree, this will shine a light on him now, media will be trawling the archives watching for any wrong moves

Warpaint

VIP Member
I've not heard the John Peel stuff - what did he do? He was treated like some sort of demi-god when he died

Britbloke

Reminds me of how John Thaw hated beer but had to down ales as Inspector Morse.

At the time they said that nothing special effects could do would resemble beer :rolleyes:

• Wow
I should also mention that I have the chance to go see Stewart Lee when he’s playing where I live next week, but I’m not going because I think he’s just not as good as he was. I won’t hear a bad word about him as I adored Fist of Fun and all that stuff but he’s just a bit of a rambling bore now, still funny, but not enough for me to fork out for a babysitter 😁
He’s coming to my town but I’m giving him a miss. He’s not as funny as he thinks he is and carries a bit of a chip on his shoulder about some of the (funnier) more successful comedians I think.

Swarm_in_a_Tea_Cup

Oh I wasn’t sad. As I said I go to loads of comedy and get entertained by the bad ones too! Even if I was to say I wouldn’t go see him again (I would) I doubt he’ll be back in town.

You’d think a professional comedian would not bat an eyelid at a sole audience member walking out.
Who would you say was your favourite gig? I adore stand up so I'm very interested!

For me, Peter Kay was the best and I don't think I'll ever see a better live performance. Also, Frankie Boyle, Sarah Millican and Alan Carr.

My most disappointing: John Bishop.
---
Who would you say was your favourite gig? I adore stand up so I'm very interested!

For me, Peter Kay was the best and I don't think I'll ever see a better live performance. Also, Frankie Boyle, Sarah Millican and Alan Carr.

My most disappointing: John Bishop.
Sorry to quote myself, but I need to add Paul Chawdhry and Jo Brand

Last edited:

petitspois

VIP Member
What's the tea with James Nesbitt? I seem to remember some dodge stories in the past. He's in news today as is 'helping raise girlfriends baby conceived whilst on a break'.
What a sexist headline. Baby is nothing to do with him then....

Sir Lancelot

VIP Member
Ooh thank you, that's all very interesting. I've never really managed the podcast thing but I'll give it a go.

This is probably going to sound ridiculous but what's the best way to access them (as in podcasts in general?). Do you download apps? Or go to a specific www address or is it done via the TV? I did see a Killing Eve one but it was televised (whilst they were recording I think) so it still left me non the wiser.
What I do is download podcasts from the iTunes store or listen on Spotify.
You can see clips on Youtube/Instagram sometimes, or even whole filmed podcast shows.

The true crime ones such as All Killa No Filla or You Must Remember This are great, as is Off Menu with James Acaster and Ed Gamble... and there are hundreds of them so you'll find one you like!