Sarah Everard #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Any other women still feel worse than ever walking home?
Cross post from Gender discussion-

I have a heto walk home. Buses have stopped running after a certain time so I’m going to have to walk in the dark over winter. Same route home, always.

full set of chargers at work to ensure phone and headtorch are charged.
Bigger backpack to avoid carrying extra tote bag (reduce grab handles)

work shoes left in my work locker; running trainers.

I don’t know what else to do to stay safe 😞😞
Can you invest in a bike? So you count cycle to and from work? And on nights if the weather is awful could you get a taxi?

Reactions: 2
20 years ago when I was a lass about town and I would regularly be out late after work. When I got off the tube my hood went up, trainers went on, hackles were up, all senses alert - just to ‘survive‘ the walk home. What a sad indictment that 2 decades on things haven’t changed for women, if anything theyve got worse.

• Sad
Reactions: 15
It's a shame as I enjoy walking at night when things are quiet. And we can't legally carry mace in this country!

Still feel so sorry for her people. I'm not a believer in penal reform in the majority of cases except for things like this.

He should be trapped as he trapped her. He's a danger and needs to be locked away

Reactions: 3
One of my male friends (he’s 34) was chatting to me the other day about his early morning walking routine. In the summer he goes out around 5.30am and I asked him if he would be going out later now it’s darker in the mornings. He looked at me like I had 5 heads - he was genuinely confused / surprised at that concept.

I had to explain to him that for women, it’s often not even a choice that they have. It’s just the default: not to go out in the dark on your own if you can avoid it.

We talked about that for a while and he said he was embarrassed that he didn’t even really consider that women feel unsafe doing things he takes for granted and can do without a second thought.

Anyway, RIP Sarah. I think of her parents often and hope they can find some peace.

Reactions: 12
Things like this are apparently legal in the UK -

Screenshot_20221011-013453~2.png

Similar to Smartwater, it's a UV and coloured dye that stains skin and clothes, skin for around 48 hours. You can spray from around 3 metres and it's produced by different companies in various colours.

Reactions: 1
Re Stabby but not dangerous things you can legally carry to aid defence…

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1296243444/self-protection-keychain-bottle-opener?

Things like this - Metal Appearing Cane https://amzn.eu/d/gq75ixA

Last edited:
  • Heart
I still have the same feels as most people on this thread by the sounds of things. I used to walk to work and back which is honestly no more than 10 mins away. After Sarah I thought it was best to take the car which is daft for literally a 10 minute walk. During summer I thought I would start walking again, on night 2 there was a man hiding in the bushes on my way home. Luckily I spotted him and managed to turn right and go a different way but I have honestly never walked so fast.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
I've seen to carry Deep Heat spray. Has a very similar effect to pepper spray but fully legal to carry

Any other women still feel worse than ever walking home?
Cross post from Gender discussion-

I have a heto walk home. Buses have stopped running after a certain time so I’m going to have to walk in the dark over winter. Same route home, always.

full set of chargers at work to ensure phone and headtorch are charged.
Bigger backpack to avoid carrying extra tote bag (reduce grab handles)

work shoes left in my work locker; running trainers.

I don’t know what else to do to stay safe 😞😞
Carry deep heat spray

I carry deep heat spray too and it's much cheaper than the smart sprays. I also carry a metal nail file.
Never feel too stupid to carry them in your hand in situations where you feel vulnerable. Example, Monday evening I was waiting for a train on a platform in the dark where it was just me and one man. I was in proper ninja mode and felt primed and ready to take him on if necessary.

Don't be tempted to waste money on all the expensive stuff when everyday items will do. You can't be done for carrying regular stuff like heat spray, hairspray, metal nail file or even the finely pointed sewing scissors in your bag and then using them in self defence. They're every day legal items that you can be found in any handbag.

There was an attempted mugging in a carpark near to me and the woman squirted white vinegar in his face. She had it in a one of those plastics sauce dispensers like the ones you would decant ketchup in. She got in her car and drove out to the main road where she called the police. No charges were brought against her. White vinegar only costs a quid in the bargain shops.

For me personally I wouldn't feel confident relying on a rape alarm to either to draw anyone's attention or to frighten someone off. I don't even know what one sounds like so if I heard a high pitched shrill I wouldn't immediately think rape alarm. I would most likely think it's a shop, cafe or car alarm or kids messing about
Also they could easily make a grab for it. You need something that will immediately disable them. Same for keys. Unless you get a good aim at one of their eyes they're too blunt to do any damage and again they could easily grab them off you.

Try and remember, these items are much more useful in your hand than in your bag (they're not going to cease the attack and wait while you rummage around in your michael kors)

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I have a teenage daughter who lives with her dad. Now that it is getting dark in the early mornings and evenings, I am worried sick about her walking her dog before and after school. Dad has no understanding. Men just have no understanding. They do not understand the world we live in. I'm going for a drink with a good friend this week. I've asked him to pick me up, or else I'll have to get a taxi. Pub is literally 5 mins walk away, he laughed as he thought I was being lazy. Had to explain that I won't walk anywhere in the dark. Men have literally no idea!

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I usually work from home but this daft forced going back to the office thing means I have to catch a 6am train from my local station (rural) once a week. I am dreading it getting even darker and there is usually nobody around. Although it’s a train station (it’s only a tiny 2 platform affair no ticket office or anything) I barely see another person. Last week a man joined me on the platform and I got up out of my seat and walked to the furthest end of the platform, away from him and nearer to the stairs, so I could run if I needed to. You have to treat all men with suspicion unfortunately…. I am going to get some deep heat spray and some of the other suggestions on here… I’ve been going completely empty handed, feeling like a sitting duck

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I was cooking dinner one evening after work, I sad to my ex I have to go and get some ingredients, as I grabbed my car keys. He said why can’t you walk, as it is only 5 minutes walk, you are just being lazy. I had to explain it is dark and unlit. He said you can’t live your life that! No idea! Safe to say he cooked his own dinner that night!

Reactions: 8
I carry deep heat spray too and it's much cheaper than the smart sprays. I also carry a metal nail file.
Never feel too stupid to carry them in your hand in situations where you feel vulnerable. Example, Monday evening I was waiting for a train on a platform in the dark where it was just me and one man. I was in proper ninja mode and felt primed and ready to take him on if necessary.

Don't be tempted to waste money on all the expensive stuff when everyday items will do. You can't be done for carrying regular stuff like heat spray, hairspray, metal nail file or even the finely pointed sewing scissors in your bag and then using them in self defence. They're every day legal items that you can be found in any handbag.

There was an attempted mugging in a carpark near to me and the woman squirted white vinegar in his face. She had it in a one of those plastics sauce dispensers like the ones you would decant ketchup in. She got in her car and drove out to the main road where she called the police. No charges were brought against her. White vinegar only costs a quid in the bargain shops.

For me personally I wouldn't feel confident relying on a rape alarm to either to draw anyone's attention or to frighten someone off. I don't even know what one sounds like so if I heard a high pitched shrill I wouldn't immediately think rape alarm. I would most likely think it's a shop, cafe or car alarm or kids messing about
Also they could easily make a grab for it. You need something that will immediately disable them. Same for keys. Unless you get a good aim at one of their eyes they're too blunt to do any damage and again they could easily grab them off you.

Try and remember, these items are much more useful in your hand than in your bag (they're not going to cease the attack and wait while you rummage around in your michael kors)
'''''i agree re rape alarms, it has been proven than shouting "fire" rather than "help" is actually more effective at getting people to help so I imagine the same with alarms

I run/walk the dog at night and take the following precautions:

Never walk the same route twice in a row
Dress like a man
Keys primed to use as a weapon
Rape alarm
No headphones
Hollie app on phone
Eyes everywhere 👀👀👀
If I get spooked, I head for a well populated area with a plan of banging on doors/screaming

I had the same white van pass me 3 times last week. Was probably a coincidence but I shot down a cul de sac and walked down a drive that had a ring doorbell.
but “what is a man” (tongue in cheek- I do exactly the same think…)

im debating getting some baggy mens jogging bottoms to put on over my gym leggings to walk home in the evenings.

Sarah was wearing gym gear. 😢

• Sad
but “what is a man” (tongue in cheek- I do exactly the same think…)

im debating getting some baggy mens jogging bottoms to put on over my gym leggings to walk home in the evenings.

Sarah was wearing gym gear. 😢
Jogging bottoms and leggings are much easier and quicker to remove than say jeans with a belt.

It actually sickens me to leave a comment like that. We shouldn't even have to give each other safety tips. It's just awful 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Jogging bottoms and leggings are much easier and quicker to remove than say jeans with a belt.

It actually sickens me to leave a comment like that. We shouldn't even have to give each other safety tips. It's just awful 😔
Unfortunately it's true though. As a woman we have to think of everything and in situations like this every mini second of trying to escape and get help is precious.

But who goes exercising in jeans? I know what you’re saying but it’s depressing that women might give up normal day to day activities out of fear.

The point of rape alarms is to startle and give you that time to get a head start. They are not effective on their own, but can aid you in a distraction, such as utilizing a spray or sharp object.

Reactions: 4
I usually work from home but this daft forced going back to the office thing means I have to catch a 6am train from my local station (rural) once a week. I am dreading it getting even darker and there is usually nobody around. Although it’s a train station (it’s only a tiny 2 platform affair no ticket office or anything) I barely see another person. Last week a man joined me on the platform and I got up out of my seat and walked to the furthest end of the platform, away from him and nearer to the stairs, so I could run if I needed to. You have to treat all men with suspicion unfortunately…. I am going to get some deep heat spray and some of the other suggestions on here… I’ve been going completely empty handed, feeling like a sitting duck
mozzie spray hurts like abirxh in the eyes too a small can of that would be cheap and legal!

Reactions: 6