Sali Hughes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
IE she was crashing at a mate’s place and had a less than ideal sleeping situation. Exactly what I did when I first moved to London and was young & skint. Not quite on a par with being in a cardboard box under Waterloo Bridge with no hope of way out tbh. It’s a fairly - erm, shall we say flexible use of the word “homeless”.

Reactions: 4
This is the stuff that gets on my wick the most.

Like when she used to wail about being a single Mum despite the Dad being devoted and also there being, y'know, a nanny on the scene.

This is what I've pieced together but may be misremembering some of it. She went to London at 15 to move in with a much older bf (possibly the bloke out of Stay video). Her bf was flatmates with Julia who now bakes cakes who took Sali under her wing. Presumably because broke up with bf she became homeless and ended up sofa surfing but was deeply ashamed so didnt admit to anyone she had nowhere to stay. I don't think she's ever claimed to be street homeless and, even if isn't what most people picture when they hear the word, someone in this situation is very much homeless (I was homeless for a summer with my children and got fed up of people telling me I wasn't "really" homeless because we were all sleeping in a friend's lounge). My interpretation of her remarks about an uncle "with a debt he couldn't repay" are very different to a previous post but it would be unseemly to go into that here. The bit that seems to get missed out is that she already had an in with a certain crowd in London as this article makes clear. I also remember her saying that she 1st saw The Fall in the ballet they did with Michael Clarke, making her about 12. Not your average experience for a South Wales school girl from a deprived background.

Attachments

Reactions: 2
She has never claimed to be a rough sleeper no.

I think you can probably give us your uncle theory 🤥

I took her remarks about an uncle with a “debt he couldn’t repay” to mean she was abused as a child. I could be way off the mark of course, but that’s what I took from it.

I took her remarks about an uncle with a “debt he couldn’t repay” to mean she was abused as a child. I could be way off the mark of course, but that’s what I took from it.
If true that is obviously appalling. Obviously. I just can't see Sali not ever mentioning it again though. But who knows.
Aside from that she has such an odd back story that just doesn't add up at times.

Reactions: 1
I think she would be a campaigner if that had happened to her. But, truly, who knows how anyone'd handle it.

When her bf dumped her she wrote that she went to live with his former flat mate, the one who got her all the makeup artist gigs.
She was never homeless, if she had of been vulnerable there would have been help for her, she was an adolescent and would have been under the care of social services. It just fits her rock n roll plucky young urchin narrative.

If she was abused as a child that’s obviouly appalling. She certainly hinted at it in that statement. But given her “crying wolf” persona it’s hard to know. She was so vague about it, and used it in such a useful way to create yet another false narrative, who knows? I mean, the way she described it it could have described anything from child abuse to the guy once telling a lie about her mum. Who knows with Sal?!

She’s so clipped and snippy in her tweets, you can imagine hear her tweeting through narrowed eyes.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Off tack - in her facebook group someone tried to post a dermatologist's and a Phd chemist's reviews of suncreams and their post wasn't allowed because it might dare contradict Sali / undermine her status. Public health information, not even botox bs, which is pretty tiresome.

Last edited:
  • Wow
i vaguely remember on the SHB forum someone had the audacity to question one of her sunscreen recommendations and she went off on it (might have been the Sarah Chapman one) but she was extremely pissed. A lot of the folk on there knew way more about ingredients than she did and she didn’t like it one bit.

i vaguely remember on the SHB forum someone had the audacity to question one of her sunscreen recommendations and she went off on it (might have been the Sarah Chapman one) but she was extremely pissed. A lot of the folk on there knew way more about ingredients than she did and she didn’t like it one bit.
She must be an extremely unpleasant person to be around. A rare combo of stuck-up, aggressive, ignorant and entitled. It’s not that hard to do research on products especially when it’s supposed to be part of her “job”. Her inability to take any kind of criticism is really at odds with her career choice.

I don’t know much about her background, apart from the fact a lot of it sounds like complete bullshit, someone trying to create an interesting back story. Just read that Dumbo Feather interview referenced above which just cements what I thought.

She has completely become what she used to say she despised. She needs to reread her press cutting file so she stops contradicting herself.

She must be an extremely unpleasant person to be around. A rare combo of stuck-up, aggressive, ignorant and entitled. It’s not that hard to do research on products especially when it’s supposed to be part of her “job”. Her inability to take any kind of criticism is really at odds with her career choice.
Don't forget the chip on her shoulder about being 'working class'. Her inability to take criticism is very closely linked to that other irritating trait - her unwillingness to ever acknowledge someone might know something or own something she doesn't eg in the Bathroom series 'yes, Love' 'yes had it for years'. Why not ever even say 'oh how interesting - tell me all about it and why you like it'. The most intelligent people I know are endlessly curious and wear their intelligence lightly ie not showing off. AND CAN TAKE CRITICISM.

Reactions: 8
Yes she is devoid of inquisition. Someone asked about platinum on twitter and she went off on why it was superior to gold, a follower mentioned palladium had all the qualities of platinum but cheaper and she just dismissed it as her rings had always been vintage platinum.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Yes she is devoid of inquisition. Someone asked about platinum on twitter and she went off on why it was superior to gold, a follower mentioned palladium had all the qualities of platinum but cheaper and she just dismissed it as her rings had always been vintage platinum.
Just like any other working class woman would wear 😝

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.